The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2020, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Does anyone know where I could find translation of the King's speech and the video? Thank you !
Haven't seen one. Let me start with the King's speech:

Welcome to this king's day at home. A lot of thanks to the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra for the initiative to open this online day with Het Wilhelmus (the national anthem). How special that it worked out to form a unity while at a distance from each other and by doing so, provide the opportunity for many all over the country to sing along.

King's day at home promises to be a unique king's day; especially unique because I hope it will be the very very last king's day at home in history. So, try to make the best of it. So, you will be able to remember how you experienced this day at home but together.

You can do that among other things by taping and uploading your activities to koningsdagthuis.nl. Want to thank everyone involved in making this website a reality in a short period of time. Without the work you did king's day at home wouldn't have as much of a 'we'-feeling.

Of course, we'd rather had been in Maastricht with the family. For months many enthusiasts were working extremely hard at a very special program. I also want to thank them for the big effort that already had been put into it before the sad but unavoidable message came that it would not go ahead this year. But 'what is in the barrel does not acidify' [Dutch expression] and 'Maastricht' [in the Limburgish dialect] is already in our hearts.

Like each year, I was looking forward immensely to images of canals, squares, streets and fairgrounds, lots of people out and about in villages and cities and the white beaches in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom. The Netherlands going all crazy, exuberantly celebrating. One of those days that 'do normal, you'll do crazy enough' [an expression characterizing Dutch culture] does not apply for the normally down-to-earth Dutch.

But, it wasn't to be. I can imagine that many of you had hoped for more freedom of movement after tomorrow. Also at home the disappointment was tangible but the Coronavirus cannot be lectured to [another expression]. So, hold on, also after this king's day. We are doing this for ourselves but also to protect the weaker in our society and to give the care professionals some rest after many weeks of extreme effort.

Rest they earn to recuperate and to prepare for the top performances that are needed to catch up on the delayed medical care. And for the moment, unexpectedly, that the virus will resurface and the hospitals will be inundated again with Covid-19 patients.

Today our thoughts are with all the professionals that are fighting Corona and don't have time for King's day. Thanks for your enormous dedication and perseverance. In March, we showed our respect to the care professionals by applauding them from our balcony or on the street. Now, we can show our respect by persevering. Do it for yourself and for them.

Now it is time to party. King's day at home. Hopefully an unforgettable day. Enjoy! At a distance but together. And… stay healthy.

Which video would you like to be translated? The final one in which the royal family wishes the king a happy birthday or the one with the video calls?

Old 04-27-2020, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Welcome to this King's Day at home!

Many thanks to the Koninklijk Concertgebouw Orkest for the initiative to open this online day with the Wilhelmus How special is it that they managed to form a unit, distanced from each other and still lay the foundation for many, to be able to sing along throughout the country.

King's Day at home promises to be a unique King's Day. And especially unique, because I hope it will be the very, very last King's Day at home of history. So try to make the best of it. So that later you will always remember how you experienced this day at home and yet together.

You can do this, for example, by uploading and displaying your activities via Koningsdagthuis.nl. I would like to thank all those who put up the website in a short time. Without your work, this King's Day at home would have had a less "we" feeling.

Of course we would much rather have been in Maastricht with the family. There, many enthusiasts worked hard - for months - on a very special program and I would also like to thank them for the great efforts already been made before the sad but inevitable message that this year would not go ahead. But "what is in the barrel does not sour" and 'live Maastricht' ( = "lieve [lovely] + live Maastricht", this year's theme ) is already in our hearts.

As every year, I intensely looked forward to images of canals, squares, streets and fairgrounds, large crowds of people on their feet in villages, cities and the snow-white beaches of the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom. Dutch people completely out of their minds. Exuberantly partying. One of those days that, "just do it, then you act crazy enough", does not apply to otherwise sober Dutch people.

However, it should not have been so. I can well imagine that many of you had hoped for more freedom of movement after tomorrow. Here too, the disappointment was palpable. But the coronavirus cannot be lectured. So hold on, even after this King's Day!

We do it for ourselves, but also to protect the vulnerable in society. And to give the healthcare professionals some rest after many weeks of extreme effort. Rest they deserve to recover, and to get ready for the upcoming top achievements to catch up with the delayed medical care and let us hope the virus will not unexpectedly resurface and fill up hospitals again with COVID-19 patients.

Today our thoughts are also with all those professionals who are committed to corona and do not have time for King's Day. Thank you for your tremendous dedication and perseverance.

In March, we showed our respect for the healthcare professionals by clapping on the balcony or in the street. Now we can show our respect by persevering. Do it for yourself and do it for them.

And now it's time for a party. King's Day at home. Hopefully an unforgettable day. Enjoy it. Remote, but together. And.... stay healthy.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

I know Konigsdag is a great party in the Netherlands, but it is surprising that despite the circumstances they have continued with the parties but at home, and the Royal Family is laughing and celebrating.

Queen Elizabeth, despite her age, canceled any special events on her birthday day.

Queen Margrethe, even though it was a special birthday for being her 80th birthday, had a rather sober celebration.

With 4.518 dead, 43 in the last 24 hours ... and being the king young and not being a special date ... one would expect something more sober or directly leave the celebration for another time.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
I know Konigsdag is a great party in the Netherlands, but it is surprising that despite the circumstances they have continued with the parties but at home, and the Royal Family is laughing and celebrating.

Queen Elizabeth, despite her age, canceled any special events on her birthday day.

Queen Margrethe, even though it was a special birthday for being her 80th birthday, had a rather sober celebration.

With 4.518 dead, 43 in the last 24 hours ... and being the king young and not being a special date ... one would expect something more sober or directly leave the celebration for another time.
The main difference is that the queen's (real) birthday in neither the UK nor Denmark is a national holiday. In the Netherlands, king's day is a national holiday and various groups took the initiative to mark king's day.

So, this is not about it being the birthday of the king (although it is) that needs to be celebrated, it is about celebrating that even in this crisis, while everyone needs to practice social distancing, the Netherlands is still 'together' and the spirit cannot be broken. And the royal family used their 'celebration at home' to video call frontline workers and others. I am sure that was very much appreciated.

I have not heard/read a single negative respons in the Netherlands. In addition, for the mental well-being of the nation, this king's day might actually be very important as it will keep people's mind off the gravity of the situation for a few hours. And with this 'adapted' celebration, everyone very much is aware that this year is different, that many people are struggling, working under stress, worrying or mourning.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Aristocracy

Another video from today. Alexia and Mum. I have no real idea what’s been said other than its about mum n dad.

https://twitter.com/rtlnieuws/status...448171009?s=21
Old 04-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post

It is like Quatorze Juillet in France, or the 4th of July in the USA. It is more than the King's birthday. It is a sort of "we are all together, we live in this great country, let us be happy together" - day.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Here are some more photos of today's King's Day:

** rex gallery **

** gettyimages: NLD: King Willem-Alexander Of The Netherlands Celebrates His Birthday **

** dm article: Mum's little helpers! Queen Maxima of the Netherlands is joined by daughters Alexia, 14, and Ariane, 13..**
Old 04-27-2020, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katymcwaity View Post
Another video from today. Alexia and Mum. I have no real idea what’s been said other than its about mum n dad.

https://twitter.com/rtlnieuws/status...448171009?s=21
See my previous description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
(…)

Some video calls with the king, queen, the princess of Orange and princess Alexia.

Queen Máxima is quite 'present' even when her daughters are supposed to talk. Amalia is doing it all by herself (as long as Máxima doesn't interrupt) while Alexia is asked about her parents and admits that even though they are busy they still get to spend quite a lot of time with them; and concludes that they are really good parents.

(…)
Old 04-27-2020, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It was really fun to see the family celebrating King's Day from home - and I'm envious of the gorgeous wisteria they have flowering in their garden!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-27-2020, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Video of Prince Floris as DJ at King's day at home.

His brother prince Pieter-Christiaan also enjoyed being a DJ now he didn't have to celebrate King's Day with the royal family. - (his younger brother has better moves :) )

Both with their (eldest) daughters...
Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Full(er) video of the king unexpectedly joining a video call hosted by the winner of the Dutch baking show. And he also joined a 'science quiz' by Diederik Jekel.

Queen Máxima joined a music class by a relatively well-known Dutch singer - who is really surprised to see her ("I am getting goose bumps!"); she is patron of More Music in the Classroom. The queen's response after the group sang on her request: "You'll have to practice, I think."

And prince Constantijn and princess Laurentien joined a quiz hosted by the Dutch astronaut André Kuipers.

This was the 'kick off' of King's day at home: the national anthem.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

The full videos with princess Amalia (with Anky van Grunsven - a famous Dutch dressage rider; Amalia explains that she is into jumping instead of dressage - who kindly but clearly tells the princess off after a few minutes) and princess Alexia and queen Máxima (with a famous Dutch vlogger - who did know in advance that he would be having a video call with the queen but apparently wasn't told that she is a 'majesty' instead of 'highness'; including questions from 'random people' (including what is it like to be queen?)).

And the video that goes with the opening of the digital flea market.

Prince Maurits and princess Marilene also join a craft workshop...

Old 04-28-2020, 04:02 AM
Majesty

How fun that they participated in these! Could any Dutch speakers let us know if what they said in the interview?

Tags
alexia, ariane, catharina-amalia, constantijn, crown princess catharina-amalia, dutch royal family, king willem-alexander, king's day, koninginnedag, koningsdag, laurentien, maxima, national day, pieter van vollenhoven, pincess of orange, prince bernhard, prince bernhard jr., prince constantijn, prince floris, prince maurits, prince pieter-christiaan, princess aimee, princess alexia, princess alexia (2005 -), princess anita, princess annette, princess ariane, princess beatrix, princess catharina-amalia, princess laurentien, princess margriet, princess marilene, princess of orange, queen maxima, van vollenhoven, willem-alexander