Koninginnedag 2002-2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
:dutchflag:

This will surely be an extra special celebration because of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Juliana and Pieter's 70th Birthday. The ability for the Dutch people and their royal family to have such a great and colourful party together on Koninginnedag is really lovely and it will be great to see the news and photos when the time comes!

Thank you, Lucien and Jacknch! It would be quite scary for small children to attend an event with 100,000 people screaming at them. I do hope that Princess Aimee is able to attend. She has looked so beautiful and happy during the previous celebrations.

Well, when WA and his cousins were just babies they already attended Queensday. Of course they didn't have to walk themselves, but they didn't seem too intimidated by all the spectators and press, on the contrary. And since it is the 70th birthday of Pieter van Vollenhoven and the 100th birthday of the late Queen Juliana it would be nice if the little royals will be included. Queen Juliana and prince Bernhard did a tour in a coach with their grand children in 1973 (Juliana's silver jubilee), so the present ones can opt for the same. Beatrix and her grandchildren in a carriage and Margriet and Pieter with theirs in another one.

However, I think lucien is right and they won't be attending at all.

From our blog:

Queensday will cost 645.000 euros

The mayor and aldermen of the city of Apeldoorn announced that the total costs of Queensday that will be celebrated in Apeldoorn thios year will be 645.000 euros. 377.000 euros will be used for the festivities themselves and for communication and PR around the visit of the royal family to Apeldoorn.

The remaining 268.000 euro will be used for extra duties like regulating traffic and the éxtra festive decorations' of the city. The costs for Apeldoorn are simular to the costs other cities made in previous years. Usually the province also pays a part of the costs, so the city of Apeldoorn that this year the province of Guelders (Gelderland) will do the same.

Queensday is the national day of The Netherlands, which is celebrated on April 30th, the birthday of the late queen Juliana. On this day the Dutch royal family traditionally visits two cities to celebrate the day with the inhabitants. This year however Queensday will only be celebrated in Apeldoorn and the 70th birthday of Prof. Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven, husband of princess Margriet and the 100th birthday of the late queen Juliana will receive special attention.

Last edited:
April!!Finally!

Now we got to get to the end of this month ASAP to live one of those truly unique of all National Events:Queensday,
there is nonesuch anywhere.

Orange,it comes in many shapes and sizes:

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy Royalimages.
:flowers:

Last edited:
The mayor of Apeldoorn has selected 8 children to hand over the flowers to the royal ladies on April 30th: Noa (8), Anna (7), Demi (7), Sophie (9), Jasmijn (8), Noa (9) en Anne Ruth (10) They were selected because they won a competition to make something with the theme 'Queen Beatrix and Apeldoorn'. The 8th flowergirl is Suzanne Huisman (7). Suzanne will hand over the flowers to princess Máxima as she has a personal connection with her. Suzanne was born after a pregnancy of 30 weeks, 7 years ago and her weight was less than a kilo. Princess Máxima visited the Isala clinic in Zwolle during her introduction tour of The Netherlands, where Suzanne was in a couveuse. When the parents asked if Maxima if she wanted to hold the baby, Maxima replied 'mag dat dan?' (is that allowed), and she did. The picture made it to the cover of most newspapers and magazines.

Note that there are only 8 flower girls and 9 female royals, so that might mean that one will be absent, possibly princess Aimee who will be 7 months pregnant.

Last edited:
i loved the story on the flower girls! such a great story. it must be nice for maxima to see the little baby after so many years. i seem to recall that picture.

Defilé in Apeldoorn at Queen's day!

I just read that there will be a defilé at Queen's day at April 30th! In the time Juliana was queen, every year were defiles at palace Soestdijk. Now - this year queen Juliana would have been 100 years old - the tradition is restored for once!

NOS.nl | Nieuws, Sport en Evenementen op Radio, TV en Internet | Nederlandse Omroep Stichting
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Koninginnedag 2009 - Special - Apeldoorn - Stentor
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Binnenland - de Volkskrant

The mayor of Apeldoorn has selected 8 children to hand over the flowers to the royal ladies on April 30th: Noa (8), Anna (7), Demi (7), Sophie (9), Jasmijn (8), Noa (9) en Anne Ruth (10) They were selected because they won a competition to make something with the theme 'Queen Beatrix and Apeldoorn'. The 8th flowergirl is Suzanne Huisman (7). Suzanne will hand over the flowers to princess Máxima as she has a personal connection with her. Suzanne was born after a pregnancy of 30 weeks, 7 years ago and her weight was less than a kilo. Princess Máxima visited the Isala clinic in Zwolle during her introduction tour of The Netherlands, where Suzanne was in a couveuse. When the parents asked if Maxima if she wanted to hold the baby, Maxima replied 'mag dat dan?' (is that allowed), and she did. The picture made it to the cover of most newspapers and magazines.

Note that there are only 8 flower girls and 9 female royals, so that might mean that one will be absent, possibly princess Aimee who will be 7 months pregnant.

This is a very nice story about Princess Maxima and Suzanne. I'm sure Maxima will be very touched by seeing the little girl who was once a tiny little infant. Thank you for sharing this story, Marengo.

I just read that there will be a defilé at Queen's day at April 30th! In the time Juliana was queen, every year were defiles at queen's day. Now - in the year queen Juliana would have been 100 years old - the tradition is restored for once!

NOS.nl | Nieuws, Sport en Evenementen op Radio, TV en Internet | Nederlandse Omroep Stichting
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Koninginnedag 2009 - Special - Apeldoorn - Stentor
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Binnenland - de Volkskrant

Thanks for posting those articles Royalsa! I am looking forward to it, a very nice gesture to do another defile as a tribute. I suppose that the queen will also open the Juliana exhibition at the palacce on queen's day.

Now since there are only 8 flowergirls I suppose princess Irene and princess Christina won't be there, which is a pity since it will be a tribute to their mother.

Great story about the flower girls.

Can't believe I remember the story and the photo, but some things just stay with you. I believe this is Suzanne. ANP Beeldbank It will be great to see what she looks like after all these years.:flowers:

Alisa, I am impressed! I was looking for that picture! But that is Suzanne indeed.

------
From our blog:

To mark the 100th anniversairy of Queen Juliana of The Netherlands, the traditional defilé will return on Queen's Day (Koninginnedag). April 30th is the official birthday of Queen Beatrix, which she celebrates on the date of her mother's birthday. When queen Juliana was still reigning this day was traditionally celebrated with a defilé at Soestdijk Palace. During the defilé a colorful parade of people representing various aspects of Dutch society would pass the steps of the palace, where queen Juliana and her family accepted flowers and gifts. Queen Beatrix however changed this day and decided to visit two cities each year, where the family would celebrate this day with the inhabitants.
The defilé won't be held at Soestdijk Palace though, but at Palace Het Loo in Apeldoorn. Only inhabitants of Apeldoorn and the eleven surrounding villages will be able to participate in the delfilé, though spectators from all over the country will lining the route. After the defilé is over the queen will open a special exhibition at the palace about her mother.

Can't believe I remember the story and the photo, but some things just stay with you. I believe this is Suzanne. ANP Beeldbank It will be great to see what she looks like after all these years.:flowers:

i agree, i'm most curious myself. i'm sure it's the same for maxima! must be such a great surprise seeing how grown up she is. the picture was definitely very popular at the time. suzanne was so tiny!

Thank you for posting this, Alisa. It is such a beautiful and sweet photo. I am also curious to see what Suzanne looks like now.

I never forgot that picture, it was so touching to see Máxima hold that little human being! :wub: Can't wait to see how Suzanne looks now!

I never forgot that picture, it was so touching to see Máxima hold that little human being! :wub: Can't wait to see how Suzanne looks now!

Oh,a nice girl.She was on tv a few days ago.Very excited that she was asked to hand flowers to Maxima:)

With two days to go,a look back at previous years at our nationwide party.Mindboggling to foreign visitors but all are enthousiastic on the nationwide fun and relaxed party day,no Monarchy,let alone any country where you will find such an atmosphere celebrating the birthday of
the Head of State,nowhere,just nowhere:

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy royalimages.

And be sure you have these in your home:

ANP Beeldbank

Decoreren en spuiten van tompoezen

De Ooievaar - Genevers en Likeuren - A. van Wees Amsterdam

A traditional nip of this liquor is obligatory while celebrating anything related to The House of Orange Nassau.Just a nip..:angel:

In case you´re in Amsterdam this Queensday..:

http://www.koninginnedagamsterdam.nl/queensday.html

Last edited:
Meanwhile at Het Loo Palace,preparing the exhibition " 100 Year Juliana ",to be opened by HM The Queen on Queensday:

ANP Beeldbank

The Royal cradle,given by the ladies of Amsterdam on occasion of the birth of Princess Juliana,it is only to be used by
Heirs to the Throne,so it had Juliana,Beatrix,Alexander and Amalia crying for a diper.

And on occasion of Queensday Kinki Hairdressers designed a whole new hairdo for our dear Trix,they had thousands of coins
made with different designs:
ANP Beeldbank

:D

These Dutch parties look so colourful and joyful! The enthusiasm of everyone is contagious. Thanks for the information, Lucien :)

And yes, the cake looks truly delicious! ;)

These Dutch parties look so colourful and joyful! The enthusiasm of everyone is contagious. Thanks for the information, Lucien :)

And yes, the cake looks truly delicious! ;)

Oh,but it is very contagious,ask them...::rolleyes:

..:angel:

ANP Beeldbank

The pastries look delicious! I am so sad that I won't be in the Netherlands during this time. It looks like a blast! Maybe someday...

They do look delicious! I can't wait for the activities.

the cake looks indeed amazing.

aimee attended the birthday of pieter van volenhoven yesterday, so maybe she attends tomorrow as well!

the cake looks indeed amazing.

aimee attended the birthday of pieter van volenhoven yesterday, so maybe she attends tomorrow as well!

Yes she will.:flowers:

The florist who makes the bouquets for HM and the Princesses was a bit of a blabbermouth and named the amount of bouquets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom