The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2020, 07:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King is formally part of the Government (executive power), Justice is formally spoken in the name of the King (judiciary power), the King is formally president of the Raad van State (Council of State) which has legislative and a judiciary powers.
Interesting! I read three times "formally". What does this mean de facto? I am afraid, that the Monarch has no say in this at all, but is only in a ceremonial way present.

Which powers the Council of State has, is hard to tell either. I read on wikipedia, that this is an instititution like a "Crown Council" between government and parliament.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Interesting! I read three times "formally". What does this mean de facto? I am afraid, that the Monarch has no say in this at all, but is only in a ceremonial way present.

Which powers the Council of State has, is hard to tell either. I read on wikipedia, that this is an instititution like a "Crown Council" between government and parliament.

The Raad van State (Council of State), established in 1531 (one of the oldert still existing legal bodies in the world) is no Crown Council. It has two divisions.
- The advisory division, which has to review any Bill and give a (positive or negative) critical opinion about it;
- The administrative law division, which functions as the highest Administrative Court of Justice.

The de-jure president is The King, the Voorzitter van de Raad van State. The de-facto president is the Vice-voorzitter.

The two divisions (the advisory body of the Government and the Administrative Court of Justice) are separated but together form the Raad van State.

The Advisory body (note the seat of the formal Voorzitter):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rgaderzaal.jpg

The Administratieve Court of Justice:
https://smeulders-ig.nl/wp-content/u...w-1200x430.jpg

Old 09-25-2020, 03:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

With the personal popularity of the King, or Queen Máxima, or Princess Beatrix, etc. there is nothing wrong. They still can enjoy a warm public bath. But I absolutely sense stronger republican tendencies. I have already my mind set: "fasten yourself for shocks". After Trump, Brexit or Corona, I know that impossibilities are not so impossible anymore. The monarchy is not that safe in the Netherlands. And any falling monarchy elsewhere will have an unforeseen domino effect.

The latest shock was when I saw a Spanish delicatessen + restaurant in my street (with a lovely Spanish couple and young Spanish staff), re-opened after Corona. They were waving the republican flag (red, yellow, purple). The overwhelming majority of the Dutchies passing by will have no idea or are wrongfooted ("Oh, that surely will be a Spanish regional flag?"). I could not believe that Spanish ex-pats exploiting a Spanish commerce would openly wave the flag of the Spanish Republic.

Then I realized: be prepared for shocks. Most likely I will see the Dutch monarchy tumble down. It will hurt but at the same time I now feel: so be it. Worrying about that makes no any sense.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Dutch PM, Mark Rutte, has today stated that should a Dutch heir or monarch wish to marry someone of the same sex, it will be with the blessing of the government and there will no need for a monarch to abdicate, or heir to give up the claim to the throne.

It does go against the current Dutch rules, which basically says that a Dutch monarch can only marry someone of the opposite sex. But Mark Rutte says that realities have changed since the rules were last reviewed in 2000.

- In nation like the Netherlands with the policy it has in regards to same sex marriages, such a statement is hardly surprising. I don't think Mark Rutte could say anything else, without ending up in a political sh*tstorm.

The realities however may be quite different though.
A monarchy is in it's very nature a conservative institution, even if the royals themselves are progressive, and special rules apply for royals, otherwise there is no point in having a monarchy.
That's one thing.
Another matter is that a monarchy also has foreign political considerations to take into account. There are quite a few countries where same sex marriages are viewed with abhorrence and as sign of decadence. In most countries it's even outlawed.
So while I dare say most Dutch would have few problems with say Amalia marrying a women, that sentiment may not be shared worldwide - or in the Dutch Foreign Ministry...
After all a monarch and also an heir lives for the his/her country - not for their own happiness.

While I think the world can easily accept and accommodate secondary royals who marry someone of the same sex, a monarch doing so is a generation away at best.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The Dutch PM, Mark Rutte, has today stated that should a Dutch heir or monarch wish to marry someone of the same sex, it will be with the blessing of the government and there will no need for a monarch to abdicate, or heir to give up the claim to the throne.

It does go against the current Dutch rules, which basically says that a Dutch monarch can only marry someone of the opposite sex. But Mark Rutte says that realities have changed since the rules were last reviewed in 2000.

- In nation like the Netherlands with the policy it has in regards to same sex marriages, such a statement is hardly surprising. I don't think Mark Rutte could say anything else, without ending up in a political sh*tstorm.

The realities however may be quite different though.
A monarchy is in it's very nature a conservative institution, even if the royals themselves are progressive, and special rules apply for royals, otherwise there is no point in having a monarchy.
That's one thing.
Another matter is that a monarchy also has foreign political considerations to take into account. There are quite a few countries where same sex marriages are viewed with abhorrence and as sign of decadence. In most countries it's even outlawed.
So while I dare say most Dutch would have few problems with say Amalia marrying a women, that sentiment may not be shared worldwide - or in the Dutch Foreign Ministry...
After all a monarch and also an heir lives for the his/her country - not for their own happiness.

While I think the world can easily accept and accommodate secondary royals who marry someone of the same sex, a monarch doing so is a generation away at best.
I don't see in this day and age any problem with the heir to the throne or the monarch marrying someone of the same sex, especially in a country like the Netherlands. The only constitutionally relevant issue would be if, as a result of a same-sex marriage, there could not be any legal heir to the throne. However, since most monarchies have several people in the line of succession, it is very unlikely that such issue would ever arise.

EDIT: There is only one reference as far as I know in the Dutch constitution to royal marriages and, as long as the marriage is legal (which is the case now for same-sex marriages) and consented to by a bill approved in a joint sesssion of the two houses of Parliament, I don't see any constitutional impediment.

Quote:

Article 28 [Marriage without Approval by Act of Parliament]
(1) The King is deemed to have abdicated if he contracts a marriage without having obtained approval by Act of Parliament.
(2) Anyone in line of succession to the Throne who contracts such a marriage is excluded from the hereditary succession, together with any children born of the marriage and their issue.
(3) The two Chambers of the Parliament (Parliament) meet to consider and decide upon a Bill for granting such approval in joint session.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:

He couldn't, esp. as it was his own conservative-liberal party (VVD) who suggested the change. I doubt he cares one way or the other, he is known to have a hands-off approach with any topic, which has served him very well over the years - so why would this be an exception.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:07 PM
Majesty

Apparently, someone (Peter Rehwinkel who married prince Floris and princess Aimée) wrote in book in which he claimed the contrary based on statements by a previous PM (Wim Kok) in 2000. Peter Rehwinkel himself is gay and married, so he probably made this claim hoping to start a discussion - and did so successfully as there were parliamentary questions about this issue which is why PM Rutte had to discuss this.

The question the PM refused to answer is whether any children of such a marriage would be eligible to inherit the throne. His reasoning was that at the time such a case might arise that question would need to be answered and it would be premature to do so now.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Rather telling that our parlementarians only wake up when a book pushes the thing in the news, while this was known since the year 2000. At the time I thought it was hinted that Queen Beatrix herself had reminded the PM of the (succession) problems such a scenario would deliver.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Apparently, someone (Peter Rehwinkel who married prince Floris and princess Aimée) wrote in book in which he claimed the contrary based on statements by a previous PM (Wim Kok) in 2000. Peter Rehwinkel himself is gay and married, so he probably made this claim hoping to start a discussion - and did so successfully as their were parliamentary questions about this issue which is why PM Rutte had to discuss this.
Are any links to the rules/statements/discussions from 2000 available? I have seen them mentioned in royalty discussions elsewhere (it was said, if I remember the comments accurately, that the then Queen and the then Prime Minister came to an agreement on not granting government permission to any future royal same-sex marriage), but no citation was given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't see in this day and age any problem with the heir to the throne or the monarch marrying someone of the same sex, especially in a country like the Netherlands. The only constitutionally relevant issue would be if, as a result of a same-sex marriage, there could not be any legal heir to the throne. However, since most monarchies have several people in the line of succession, it is very unlikely that such issue would ever arise.

What I believe Muhler is saying, and I concur, is that in the Netherlands (and, in my opinion, the other European monarchies), sentiment imposes stricter "rules" than the law. For instance, there is no constitutional, legal, or diplomatic issue with any European heir choosing to remain unmarried and/or childless, provided there are other legal heirs in the next generation. Yet 100% of the present European monarchs and their heirs in direct line have chosen to marry and to produce children from (and not before) the marriage (excepting, of course, those who have not reached marriageable age).
Old 10-12-2021, 04:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
What I believe Muhler is saying, and I concur, is that in the Netherlands (and, in my opinion, the other European monarchies), sentiment imposes stricter "rules" than the law. For instance, there is no constitutional, legal, or diplomatic issue with any European heir choosing to remain unmarried and/or childless, provided there are other legal heirs in the next generation. Yet 100% of the present European monarchs and their heirs in direct line have chosen to marry and to produce children from (and not before) the marriage (excepting, of course, those who have not reached marriageable age).
Wat about the Sovereign Prince of Monaco who had 2 children out of wedlock prior to marrying his wife?!

While most indeed waited with having children until after marriage, several of them did live together prior to marriage (William and Catherine being just one example) - although it seems the number is still smaller than in the general population (I don't think the Benelux monarchs nor married heir lived together prior to marriage - unlike many of their country men). And several of them have no issue marrying someone who was previously married (Felipe, Charles - a divorcé himself) or had a child out of wedlock (Haakon).
Old 10-12-2021, 04:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Apparently, someone (Peter Rehwinkel who married prince Floris and princess Aimée) wrote in book in which he claimed the contrary based on statements by a previous PM (Wim Kok) in 2000. Peter Rehwinkel himself is gay and married, so he probably made this claim hoping to start a discussion - and did so successfully as their were parliamentary questions about this issue which is why PM Rutte had to discuss this.

The question the PM refused to answer is whether any children of such a marriage would be eligible to inherit the throne. His reasoning was that at the time such a case might arise that question would need to be answered and it would be premature to do so now.

As we have discussed before, in the UK, a child of a same-sex marriage, either adopted or born of a surrogate mother, would not be eligible to succeed, As I said, that is the only constitutional issue to me, but it would be irrelevant if there are other people in the line of succession, wouldn't it?
Old 10-12-2021, 04:55 PM
Royal Highness

What exactly does the Dutch law say about marriage, does anyone know? I'm assuming that royal marriage laws in most countries don't make any specific reference to opposite sex marriage or same sex marriage, simply because same sex marriage has only recently been legalised and so, when the laws were drawn up, marriage would have meant opposite sex marriage.

I don't think most people in most European countries would have a problem with the monarch or heir marrying someone of the same sex, but the issue of the succession would be more complicated.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
What exactly does the Dutch law say about marriage, does anyone know? I'm assuming that royal marriage laws in most countries don't make any specific reference to opposite sex marriage or same sex marriage, simply because same sex marriage has only recently been legalised and so, when the laws were drawn up, marriage would have meant opposite sex marriage.

I don't think most people in most European countries would have a problem with the monarch or heir marrying someone of the same sex, but the issue of the succession would be more complicated.
The problem is not the marriage but the result of it. A parliamentary consentend formal union of two ladies or two gentlemen needs a third -unknown- party for the procreation. And that third party will be a natural parent of a child born in this royal same-gender union, with parental rights, but is no part of the parliamentary approved royal union.

That was the reason why - back in 2001 - the Government was hesistant about approving an union of a Heir with someone of the same gender. Not because of the homosexuality (no any problem in the Netherlands) but because of this quite unspecified, unknown and undeveloped terrain about the "fruit" of such a marriage, which requires others from outside the marriage.

Imagine that Amalia has an union with Alexandra. But the baby is a product of Alexandra and a male donor. This means that the "product" of two outsiders will be the heir to Amalia, who will not be the mother of said child. How is that "hereditary succession"? Effectively it would be the same as makinh Tom Parker Bowles or Marius Høiby the "hereditary successor" because their mother happened to be married to a Heir. Just to name a possible dilemma.

For so far there is no indication that any of the princesses has the intention to engage in any marriage.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As we have discussed before, in the UK, a child of a same-sex marriage, either adopted or born of a surrogate mother, would not be eligible to succeed, As I said, that is the only constitutional issue to me, but it would be irrelevant if there are other people in the line of succession, wouldn't it?
I don't think the UK laws are relevant for this question that was asked by Dutch parliamentarians to the Dutch PM

The nobility laws changed in the 90s to include children that were born out of wedlock, they can now inherit titles (which Willem-Alexander's cousin Carlos knows very well given that his son that he has no relationship with used to become a Royal Highness and prince de Bourbon de Parme).

I am not sure what the rules are regarding children born from other parents than the one in a marriage in the case of nobility (for example adoption, egg cell donation, sperm cell donation (or both) from either a known or unknown donor etc). Nonetheless, as the PM said: that will be discussed if the need ever arises.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it would be approved as long as the child is biologically the child of the 'born royal' - although it makes the marriage approval process somewhat moot as the child does no longer carry the partner's genes. Would the 'donor' also need to be approved by parliament? That would complicate things even further...
Old 10-13-2021, 03:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The problem is not the marriage but the result of it. A parliamentary consentend formal union of two ladies or two gentlemen needs a third -unknown- party for the procreation. And that third party will be a natural parent of a child born in this royal same-gender union, with parental rights, but is no part of the parliamentary approved royal union.

That was the reason why - back in 2001 - the Government was hesistant about approving an union of a Heir with someone of the same gender. Not because of the homosexuality (no any problem in the Netherlands) but because of this quite unspecified, unknown and undeveloped terrain about the "fruit" of such a marriage, which requires others from outside the marriage.

Imagine that Amalia has an union with Alexandra. But the baby is a product of Alexandra and a male donor. This means that the "product" of two outsiders will be the heir to Amalia, who will not be the mother of said child. How is that "hereditary succession"? Effectively it would be the same as makinh Tom Parker Bowles or Marius Høiby the "hereditary successor" because their mother happened to be married to a Heir. Just to name a possible dilemma.

For so far there is no indication that any of the princesses has the intention to engage in any marriage.
Well, they for one would certainly use Amalias egg and not that of her wife. Which removes half the problem.
Curious, why don't doctors use the DNA of two eggs. Should be possible, right. Though it of course then will always be a girl.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Well, they for one would certainly use Amalias egg and not that of her wife. Which removes half the problem.
Curious, why don't doctors use the DNA of two eggs. Should be possible, right. Though it of course then will always be a girl.

That is quite far-fetching. The royals already are discriminated as being the only citizens in the Netherlands whom needs public debate by 225 strangers in Parliament about any intention to engage in a marriage.

And now even that is not enough anymore: they need to give a DNA-sample to determine whether a baby indeed really is from the (future) hereditary monarch, or not ?

The parliamentary approval is an instrument to exclude undesireable partners, which indirectly had effect on Carlos Hugo prince de Bourbon de Parme and on Mabel Martine Wisse Smit: in both cases the Government did not offer a Bill of Consent. And in the cases of Claus von Amsberg and Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti (both approved) the debate was intense because both had problematic elements (a past in the German Wehrmacht during WWII resp. a father who was in the Government during a brutal military dictatorship).

With a third party outside a consented union, Parliament effectively is outmanoeuvred as it has no say in the desireability of said "donor" whom could be Prime Minister Mark Rutte himself, or Mark Zuckerberg, or Vladimir Putin, to name any name laying a cuckoo's egg in the royal nest.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
That is quite far-fetching. The royals already are discriminated as being the only citizens in the Netherlands whom needs public debate by 225 strangers in Parliament about any intention to engage in a marriage.
They are perfectly allowed to get married without a public debate in parliament. It just means that they can not remain their succession rights. Of all the people in the country I am not sure the royals will be heading a list of being among those that are most discriminated.

--

This whole issue is just a spin by the governing VVD, who sees it as an easy point to score. Without any controversy, without any additional public spending, without any opposition. And all that over the back of a teenager - who I am sure could perfectly well do without half the country speculating about her sexuality. I don't find it very edifying for them to expose a 17 y/o to such a debate.

As for the legal text: did anyboy manage to find it? I have made an attempt but I did not manage to find it. Or is the whole thing just based on the letter that was sent by Prime Minister Wim Kok to the chamber/ oranjeklant Rehwinkel.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
They are perfectly allowed to get married without a public debate in parliament. It just means that they can not remain their succession rights. Of all the people in the country I am not sure the royals will be heading a list of being among those that are most discriminated.

--

This whole issue is just a spin by the governing VVD, who sees it as an easy point to score. Without any controversy, without any additional public spending, without any opposition. And all that over the back of a teenager - who I am sure could perfectly well do without half the country speculating about her sexuality. I don't find it very edifying for them to expose a 17 y/o to such a debate.

As for the legal text: did anyboy manage to find it? I have made an attempt but I did not manage to find it. Or is the whole thing just based on the letter that was sent by Prime Minister Wim Kok to the chamber/ oranjeklant Rehwinkel.

It was in the Handelingen, the written description of the debate in the two Chambers of the States-General in joint session, concerning the proposed Act of Consent for the intended marriage of the Prince of Orange in 2001.

And another one in the Handelingen, the debate concerning the proposed modernized Royal House Act in 2002.

The possibility of a successor engaging in a same-gender marriage came into discussion (a few years before this debate the Netherlands became the first state in the world to open legal marriage for same-gender couples, this also crippled into the mentioned debates in 2001 and 2002.).
Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

--

The Danish article that was the basis for my post use the word: "rules."

https://jyllands-posten.dk/internati...af-samme-koen/
Old 10-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Quite right too. If the monarch was LGBT if is far safer for them to open about it, rather than be forced to marry someone of the opposite sex and create two unhappy people, with the possibility of blackmail and intrigue.

In Britain Lord Ivar Mountbatten has married his male partner, and not had to give up his place in the line of succession (albeit is is a long way down the list), and I am pretty sure the British Royal Family is more conservative than the Dutch Royal Family!