The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2020, 07:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King is formally part of the Government (executive power), Justice is formally spoken in the name of the King (judiciary power), the King is formally president of the Raad van State (Council of State) which has legislative and a judiciary powers.
Interesting! I read three times "formally". What does this mean de facto? I am afraid, that the Monarch has no say in this at all, but is only in a ceremonial way present.

Which powers the Council of State has, is hard to tell either. I read on wikipedia, that this is an instititution like a "Crown Council" between government and parliament.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Interesting! I read three times "formally". What does this mean de facto? I am afraid, that the Monarch has no say in this at all, but is only in a ceremonial way present.

Which powers the Council of State has, is hard to tell either. I read on wikipedia, that this is an instititution like a "Crown Council" between government and parliament.

The Raad van State (Council of State), established in 1531 (one of the oldert still existing legal bodies in the world) is no Crown Council. It has two divisions.
- The advisory division, which has to review any Bill and give a (positive or negative) critical opinion about it;
- The administrative law division, which functions as the highest Administrative Court of Justice.

The de-jure president is The King, the Voorzitter van de Raad van State. The de-facto president is the Vice-voorzitter.

The two divisions (the advisory body of the Government and the Administrative Court of Justice) are separated but together form the Raad van State.

The Advisory body (note the seat of the formal Voorzitter):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rgaderzaal.jpg

The Administratieve Court of Justice:
https://smeulders-ig.nl/wp-content/u...w-1200x430.jpg

Old 09-25-2020, 03:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

With the personal popularity of the King, or Queen Máxima, or Princess Beatrix, etc. there is nothing wrong. They still can enjoy a warm public bath. But I absolutely sense stronger republican tendencies. I have already my mind set: "fasten yourself for shocks". After Trump, Brexit or Corona, I know that impossibilities are not so impossible anymore. The monarchy is not that safe in the Netherlands. And any falling monarchy elsewhere will have an unforeseen domino effect.

The latest shock was when I saw a Spanish delicatessen + restaurant in my street (with a lovely Spanish couple and young Spanish staff), re-opened after Corona. They were waving the republican flag (red, yellow, purple). The overwhelming majority of the Dutchies passing by will have no idea or are wrongfooted ("Oh, that surely will be a Spanish regional flag?"). I could not believe that Spanish ex-pats exploiting a Spanish commerce would openly wave the flag of the Spanish Republic.

Then I realized: be prepared for shocks. Most likely I will see the Dutch monarchy tumble down. It will hurt but at the same time I now feel: so be it. Worrying about that makes no any sense.