Dutch Royal Deaths and Funerals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Perhaps a bit morbid, but we can discuss the death, funerals etc. of Dutch royals from the past here. Note that the funerals of Queen Juliana and the Princes Claus and Bernhard have a thread dedicated to them.

As a starter here a picture of Wilhelmina's funeral hearse (free of copyrights, from the website of the city of Delft):

begr_wilhelmina.jpg

Perhaps somebody can show a map of the royal vaults here? I am afraid that I lost it when my pc crashed and my harddrive was erased.

Thanks for the link Lucien, sadly I am not able to find a map of the vaults in this website. There is a map of the churrch itself, which is rather interesting too though.

Thanks for the link Lucien, sadly I am not able to find a map of the vaults in this website. There is a map of the churrch itself, which is rather interesting too though.

You're eyesight is ruined dear,wonder what happened...there is a map with the layout of the vaults on the site.
Click on House of Orange and then Royal Burial Vault,et voila:rolleyes:

Or this,unfortunately only in dutch:
            Oranje Nassau                        

Grafkelder te Delft

Last edited:
Well, the sunlight has turned my hair a bit blond(er), so that might have its effect on the working of my brains too. Anyway, thanks for the link, it is rather interesting.

Here a picutre of the funeral of Prince Hendrik, youngest son of King Willem II and Queen Anna:

prinshendrikus.jpg

As posted by Marianne on the Benelux Royals MB:

According to some newspaper articles (see for example this link:
http://www.ad.nl/binnenland/article2064199.ece)
the Royal Vault in Delft has recently been 're-organised'.

Family-relations are now obvious by the way most coffins have been re-arrranged.
The article mentions that by comparing the old map of the Vault and this new one it is obvious that Prince Claus' remains also have been removed from the open space where he was resting to another place which also has 'an empty place' awaiting.
Queen Juliana and Pr. Bernhard are now resting 'side by side' as well (....).

The old situation:

Koninklijke grafkelder te Delft

Number 32,previously the resting place of Queen Sophie is now the resting place of Prince Claus.

The small coffins of stillborn children have been replaced as well.
28,34 and 36 are more or less reunited with their mother,Sophie,or better,the other way around..

The Royal Crypt at Delft will be expanded to twice the present size,as was planned for quiet some time already.It is nor exactly sure when the work will start,the church prefers to have it all done at the same time as the planned restauration of the church,which seems logical,but ah,logic is not the best point in "The Hague" (government),they haven't given the go ahead yet,but do plan to have the work on the crypt started sooner.

Courtesy dear HJA,

http://www.royalblog.nl/

Last edited:
Well, that was high needed I think, they are putting the coffins on top of each other at the moment, i hope they will be able to prevent that in the new crypt!

---
Some pictures of Wilhelmina's funeral:

wilhlmbegr.jpg
koningin-wilhelmina-begrafenis2.jpg
wilhelminabe.jpg

Free of copyrights!

Purchased the book;"Langs Vorstelijke Grafsteden" ,the last resting places of the House of Orange by Cees van Raak.

It has,ao,a map of how the coffins in the Royal Vault are placed after the recent "shuffle".

Odd that King Willem II and Queen Anna Pavlowna are placed beneath Prince Hendrik and Queen Wilhelmina,
where Juliana and Bernhard used to be,a place on the topshelf over Willem III and Emma was more logical to me.
There is still room for 1 or 2 coffins over the latter's,and an empty niche at the opposite wall except for the coffin
of dear Prince Claus.

A television report about the death of Queen Wilhelmina. It includes the arrival of princess Irene on Schiphol airport (she was staying with the countess of Athlone), the arrival of princess Beatrix (who was travelling through Asia), mourners signing registers of condolences, people paying their respect and walking past the coffin in Apeldoorn and later at Palace Lange Voorhout in The Hague.

NOS - Koningshuis - Video -

I was wondering if the former Queens were referred to as Queens or Princesses of the Netherlands at their funeral services?

I was wondering if the former Queens were referred to as Queens or Princesses of the Netherlands at their funeral services?

They are referred to as Queens.We refer to both Wilhelmina and Juliana as Queens.:)

The funeral of Queen Wilhelmina was attended by:

- Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands
- Princesses Beatrix, Irene, Margriet and Marijke of The Netherlands
- King Frederik IX of Denmark
- King Olav V of Norway
- King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
- Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix of Luxemourg
- The Count of Athlone and Princess Alice, countess of Athlone
- Prince Louis-Ferdinand and Princess Kira of Prussia
- The Fürst and Fürstin of Wied

Historische Kranten - actualiteiten uit het verleden

----------------------------

The funeral of Prince Hendrik was attended by:

- Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands
- Princess Juliana of The Netherlands
- Duke Adolf of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- The hereditairy Grand Duke and hereditairy Grand Duchess of Oldenburg (another source says that she was absent)
- The Fürst of Bentheim
- The Fürst of Wied
- The hereditairy prince of Wied
- The Fürstin of Erbach-Schönberg
- Prince Wilhelm of Erbach-Schönberg
- Prince Charles of Belgium
- The Fürst of Salm-Horstmar (representing prince Oscar of Prussia, head of the Johanitter order)
- The Earl of Athlone
- Prince Felix of Luxembourg
- Duke Christian-Ludwig of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

http://kranten.kb.nl/view/article/id/ddd:011073719:mpeg21:p002:a0118/layout/fullscreen

----------------------------

The funeral of Queen Emma was attended by:

- Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik of The Netherlands
- Princess Juliana of The Netherlands
- The Fürst and Fürstin of Waldeck-Pyrmont
- The Fürstin of Erbach-Schöneberg
- The Duchess of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha
- The Fürst and Fürstin of Wied
- The Fürst of Bentheim-Steinfurt
- Lady May Abel-Smith
- The hereditairy Grand Duke and hereditairy Grand Duchess of Oldenburg
- Princess Viktoria of Bentheim-Steinfurt
- The hereditairy Princess of Waldeck-Pyrmont
- Prince and Princess Maximilian of Waldeck-Pyrmont
- Prince and Princess Georg-Wilhelm of Waldeck-Pyrmont
- Dowager Freifrau & baroness of Doernberg, née Princess of Erbach-Schönberg
- The hereditairy Prince and hereditairy Princess of Wied
- Prince Eugen of Sweden
- Prince Felix of Luxembourg
- Duke Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha
- Prince Charles of Belgium
- The hereditairy prince of Erbach-Schöneberg
- Duke Adolf-Friedrich of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

http://kranten.kb.nl/view/article/id/ddd:010015274:mpeg21:p001:a0054/layout/fullscreen

Last edited:
Funeral of Prince Claus:

Funeral of Queen Juliana:

Funeral of Prince Friso:

Funeral of Princess Christina:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom