Dutch Royal Baptisms, Godparents and Godchildren

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for that, I will add them to the list! I assume the wikipedia entry of Zaria has been checked by her parents, so that should be correct ;)

Mrs.Bonino was a godparent as well for Zaria.:)

I believe Emma Bonino was a godmother of Countess Luana, she even has Emma as one of her names.

Here you can seee quite a lot of the baptism of Princess Marijke (now Christina) in 1947, Beatrix was already quite the enthausiastic ´waver´ ;). Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg arrived (and left) with Queen Wilhelmina.

I just read on the BRMB that Queen Beatrix is also a godmother to Sybilla Louise Ambler, daughter of Princess Margaretha of Sweden (sister of the present King).

Here you can seee quite a lot of the baptism of Princess Marijke (now Christina) in 1947, Beatrix was already quite the enthausiastic ´waver´ ;). Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg arrived (and left) with Queen Wilhelmina.
She changed her name from Marijke to Christina ?

She changed her name from Marijke to Christina ?

Yes,she did so decades ago,late sixties,early seventies.She thought the name Marijke to be too childish/frumpy,
so she switched to another of her names,Christina.

Last edited:
Why on Amalia's baptism Princess Laurentien was carried her ? She wasn't a godmother.
And who was carried Princess Alexia ? I can't find video from this event.
Thank You for answer :)

Why on Amalia's baptism Princess Laurentien was carried her ? She wasn't a godmother.

Re: Amalia
I don't think it was explained why Laurentien was the carrier, I looked in the baptism thread of Amalia, the question was asked there too, but not answered
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f48/baptism-of-princess-catharina-amalia-june-12-2004-a-2257-8.html

Re: Alexia
Was also asked and not answered in her baptism thread, all video's and lot's of photo's seem to have been removed from the online resources
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f48/baptism-of-princess-alexia-november-19-2005-a-7864-12.html

Last edited:

Maybe because Princess Laurentien was not a godmother, she was given the honour to carry her niece Princess Catharina-Amalia into the Great- or St James' Church in The Hague? See this great Picture.

When Princess Alexia was baptized, Laurentien was one of her given names (Alexia Juliana Marcela Laurentien). I do not remember which lady carried Princess Alexia into the Village Church in Wassenaar. Was it her aunt Princess Mabel? Alexia's younger sister Princess Ariane was carried into the village church in Wassenaar by her aunt Inés Zorreguieta Cerruti. Both baptisms in Wassenaar were far more cosy affairs than the baptism of their eldest sister Princess Catharina-Amalia in The Hague.

Last edited:
Ariane was carried by Ines Zorreguieta, Maxima's sister.

I believe in the old days the infant was carried into the church by the highest ranking lady of the court, which would be the grand mistress. I believe that Princess Juliana even arrived in a seperate carriage from her parents, with the grand mistress. The king and his borthers were carried by a nanny, while in this generation they seemed to have changed this again.

I have no idea who carried Alexia into the church in 2005. I did not see the broadcast at the time and for some reason there are no photos available of the moment, neither is it mentioned in articles. This probably means that she was not carried by a family member but perhaps by a friend - which would be less noteworthy for the press and readers.

In the book Willem-Alexander, van prins tot koning by Jan Hoedeman and Remco Meijer is written that the three sons of Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus were carried into the church by their nanny, nurse Elisabeth Jacoba Swellengrebel.

Picture

Back in those days, only in 1967, a careful selection was made. Nurse Swellengrebel had good relations in the "better circles". The nurse was known via her mother Christine Catherine Swellengrebel née Royaards, daughter of Johan Sebastiaan Royaards, Mayor of Scherpenzeel and owner of Scherpenzeel House (picture) and of Louise Christine Egbertine Francesca Baroness van Haersolte van den Doorn, Dame du Palais.

Last edited:
Christening of Prince Johan Friso:

The Christening of Prince Willem Alexander in 1967

Baptism Constantine and Bernhard (1970):

Back
Top Bottom