Dutch & Japanese Photoshoot in Apeldoorn: August 18, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm very impressed with the Dutch royal family and their warmth and kindness. They seem to be very happy together and radiate that to their visitors. The girls are all adorable and I think Amalia is a scene-stealer!

very well said marengo
you must be very proud of your royal family, i certainly am and i'm a texan. Amalia is a scene stealer alright, she's princess personality plus, just like her mom. i'm so glad the little princesses are getting a chance to be friends.

Crown prince, princess visit stables with Dutch Queen Beatrix
.............Crown Princess Masako, wearing a cream jacket and pants, took Princess Aiko's hand and cheerfully chatted with Queen Beatrix as they walked under the building's extended roof.
Princess Aiko and Princess Catharina-Amalia, both wearing light blue dresses, held each other's hand, while their other hand was held by their mothers.

Princess Aiko looked curiously at a peacock roaming the garden nearby as her parents chatted with the Dutch queen, crown prince and princess.
The three little princesses were pulled up by their parents onto a brown carriage nearby and smiled and waved at reporters before they reentered the building. The carriage was the one used by Queen Wilhelmina, the current queen's grandmother, to fetch milk from a farm when she was little, and so is known as the "milk car."...........
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060818/kyodo/d8jiti5o0.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures! Wow they all look amazing!

I am sorry if the link of the little film didn't work. I don't know how that is possible. It works out when I watch it. I another link with photo's of the NOS.
http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/artikelen/2006/8/18/180806_masako_loo.html

When you clicked on my link, then you see on the right, a little above, ''Mediatheek''. Underneath there is an image of a camera. Click on that link after the image and you come again to the page with the film.

Both Royal Families looked so happy and relaxed! The Dutch know how to be hosts!:flowers:
Princesses Aiko and Amalia and Alexia look too adorable to espress. The picture, where little Aiko and Amalia are holding hands is priceless!:flowers: :flowers:

great photocall!
the girls are so adorable!
I lovew aiko but I never see smiling, viva the true empress!

By the way, loved that long skirt on Beatrix, she looked charming. Also, did you all notice how she tacticly tried to stay somewhat in the background, yielding the limelight to the younger generations? Beatrix is a grand diplomat, Maxima is lucky to have such a wise mom in law.

Last edited:
Does anybody know the age difference between Aiko and Amalia?

http://www.rtl.nl/actueel/rtlnieuws/video/

This is a link to a great short video, where you can see that for a few moments, it's not only lively Amalia that is enjoying herself, Aiko also is smiling and waving.

So go to the page and scroll down and click on the blue letters saying:

"Japans paar bij Beatrix"

I have to agree Olga, I too noticed that Queen Beatrix stayed in the background, just as if she is already paving the way for a future without her in the lime light. That there are a lot of photos of the little girls could have been expected, but there are also many with both crownprincely couples and the children but without her, though she must have been right there.:sad:
To the age-difference isn't it just over a year?
BTW, I doubt, that the children can communicate in english. Even if they are raised bilingual (and in Amalias case that would probably be dutch and spanish) little Amalia would hardly be fluent enough with her not even three years, in any language!
However, that is the beauty with children, they communicate on different levels and understand each other just perfectly.

I'm so glad to the Crown Princess Masako smile! What a diference a royal family makes from one another. Even with the language barrier for the Crown Prince and their daugther, the Queen seems to be receiving them with such joy, as if they were relatives coming back home. This vacation in the Netherlands is going to get then re-energized. Anyone knows if there is a program of activities planned in between their vacation time?

ldt20 said:
Does anybody know the age difference between Aiko and Amalia?

The age difference is 2 years. Aiko is born on December 1st 2001 and Amalia on December 7th 2003.

I bet part of the reason Masako looks so happy is that she is so glad to GET AWAY from the palace in Tokyo. The atmosphere there must have been awful -- the pressure to have a male heir would have been made a lot worse by what I gather is a very closed-in way of life there, very shut off from the outside world. A beautiful castle to stay in, lovely countryside, pleasant hosts, her parents nearby AND NO IMPERIAL HOUSEHOLD AGENCY -- hey, what's not to like?

On a related topic -- does anyone know why the IHA was so reluctant to let Masako travel abroad? The woman was a trained and experienced diplomat before she married. What on earth did the IHA think she would do overseas, throw furniture???

(In response on a poster who thought The Queen should open her palaces for the public).

There are so many buildings owned by the Dutch State which are not accessible for the public.

The public has no entrance to the grand salons in the Cabinet of the Premier:
tt1.jpg

The public has no entrance to the Catshuis, the residence of the Premier and his family:
tt2.jpg

tt3.jpg

The public has no entrance to the awesome salons the the official residence of the Mayor of Amsterdam:
tt4.jpg

Etc. etc.

The public has acces to Palace Het Loo.
The public has access to the Royal Palace Amsterdam.
The public will get access to Soestdijk Palace.
The public has access to the Royal Stables in Apeldoorn.
The Public has access to the Royal Stables in The Hague.
The public has acces to the Royal Archives in The Hague.

For the two palaces in The Hague which serve as private residence (Huis ten Bosch) and as offices for the royal household (Noordeinde) you can make extensive virtual tours with lots of explanation, zooming-in functions et al on the website of the Royal House.

Drakensteyn, Eikenhorst and Huis 't Loo are privately owned.

Castle Het Loo is no public building but is rented to the Queen to serve as her private retreat.

The pics are from ANP and are bucketed via my webspace.

Last edited:
And I'll add the fear that a revitalized Masako will go back home full of energy to defend her daugther's claim to the throne. The Imperial Household (read three royals and the rest politicians) have spent so many years taking away they joy of life from Masako just because she was not able to produce a baby boy is about time she fights back.

Now, with the influence of Queen Beatrix and the very liberated Princess Maxima on her corner she could pick up courage and yes, throw some furniture...on the head of the Prime Minister himself since he leads that Imperial Household Agency. ;)
And remember, Princess Maxima is a Latina Princess, that spanish blood of ours carries fire. If she can give some of that latin fire to Princess Masako she could go back home with more energy than Godzilla attacking Tokyo.

Last edited:
loved those pictures! what a great surprise, i almost forgot of this photoshoot! i think maxima looked incredible in that suit, the cut and texture is perfect. maybe natan's?

masako and maxima are two of my favourite princesses, it's great to see them together and to know they are good friends.

i can't say anything of amalia, alexia and aiko. they all looked lovely in their matching dresses and very at ease with the cameras.

thanks everyone for posting the pictures! they made my day! :)

I see, thanks Oppie. And please, you are going to get a headache that way :lol:

Now let's go back on track like one happy family: Question for those with access to the local TV news in Netherlands, are there any mentions on TV or have any TV stations sent reporters to do some royal sightings?

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
Is it me, or does Her Majesty look so immense happy?
Indeed Princess Catharina-Amalia steals the show, the goodnatured character of her father and the excuberance of her mother are clearly visible.

Well, Aiko is just shy because she is visiting and she does not speak the language. The other one is younger and less mature. I think the three little girls steal the show. I love Amalia's legs--like her grandma!!!

Did the young Netherland princess bring any gifts or toys to the young Japanesse princess?

I Hope The Prince And Princess Of Japan Will Have Een Good Vacation In The Netherlands.

Toledo said:
I see, thanks Oppie. And please, you are going to get a headache that way :lol:

Now let's go back on track like one happy family: Question for those with access to the local TV news in Netherlands, are there any mentions on TV or have any TV stations sent reporters to do some royal sightings?

There were 30 dutch reporters there, so it will receive quite some attention (but the papers only come tomorrow). Today (and yesterday) it was broadcasted on all television channels that have news services and there was even a long item about the visit, Masako, Japan and the IHA on one of the major political programmes.
Before the visit started it received more attention then most (or any recent) crownprincely visits due to the fact that the visit was published and a photoshoot was announced.

--

BTW there were no details given about the exchange of any gifts, as the court never shares such things with the press and considers it private information. However it was said in one programme that the dutch and japanese royals spent the entire morning & luch together.

--

I wonder if they will see more of the Dutch royals. I would expect them to visit (or get visited) by Princess Margriet and Prof Pieter van Vollenhoven, as they live on the same estate. And they will probably pay a goodbye visit to HM The Queen and the Prince of Orange.

Last edited:
Ariel said:
Thanks for the pictures, they are great. It is wonderful to see these two families together. Im glad they are making this trip, specially after all the attention Kiko's pregnancy is having. It is also amazing how calm and happy Masako seems to be, she doesnt seem like someone going through depression and stress disorders.

I totally agree- I'm so happy for both families. Is this the first time that Masako is meeting Willem-Alexander and Maxima?

I really enjoyed these pictures today. Aiko looked a bit shy at first, but I had the feeling she got used to the attention near the end. The photos of the three girls on the coach are very cute! I also liked the fact that it was Crown Princess Maxima that stood behind them.

I do hope that the press will let the Japanese Crown Princely family alone now and let them have their peace. After all, that's why they were invited to the Netherlands by Queen Beatrix, to relax, do some sightseeing and meeting Masako's parents without the IHA controling every single minute of their time.

The visit of the Crown Princely couple was an item in every broadcast of the Belgian national television (één) but I don't know about the other channels.
I wonder how the IHA feels about that. The visit was announced as being private, but the whole visit has had a lot of media attention, not only in the Dutch or Belgian press, but also in the Japanese press.

Im glad its getting a lot of attention and I think the Crown Princely couple know what their doing with the attention. I think it says something when Masako looks so happy in the Netherlands with freedom and why she is miserable in Japan.

One of the things I have secretly been wondering is if Maxima would host a most private luncheon involving some of the other Crown Princesses so that Masako would get up to speed with them in a relaxed, very private way. Maxima seems to me the kind of generous hearted person that might have made this suggestion to Masako to see if she would want to do it. It seems the perfect time to do it since Masako has come such a long way. Many of the CP couples have visited her at her palace (especially during the World Expo last year) and so would have some, however minimal, relationship with her. At the very least, I have wondered about Mathilde and Elisabeth popping up from Belgium. Elisabeth and Aiko are only three months apart and I know Philippe and Mathilde have met the Japanese Royals on at least a couple of occasions. I am going to have my antennae up for the whereabouts of the other CP's during the next couple of weeks. If any of you catch wind of something -- please post it!!

The princess are very cute with the blue dresses.

Thanks for all that info!

Please, remember the new photo guidelines that has been put, regarding photo posting and try to be selective. Do not post any single photo you find. Instead, post just a few to illustrate and provide the link to the agency's gallery where the rest of the photos can be found.

The links for picture from Getty & PPE can be found here, so there's no need to post pictures from there as they're direct links.

Also, please do not turn in this thread on debate of the Japanese Succession Law, or about Masako/Aiko's future, or IHA/IHC. There's a thread specifically for that here, and all posts regarding the issue will be moved there.

Thanks for the understanding & cooperation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom