Crash: 7 Victims & Perpetrator Dead, 10 Wounded at Queen's Day 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do hope that the royal family members are able to eventually come to terms with this. I hope that they are able to find peace, whether it be through counseling or talking this over with each other. Events like this are traumatic, and everyone deals with them in a different way. I wish them peace.

I so agree with you. I really hope the royal members can find peace inside themselves because it was a terrible event for all of them. You never expect anything like this to happen to you, especially when you're a very beloved royal in your country!
I think events like this one traumatize everyone who watch them somehow. I believe I'll never forget that little girl and a man rolling over the floor... it was simply horrible. Now I try to imagine how traumatic and shocking it was to all those who watch it alive! The Queen is indeed a very strong woman, she deserves all the praises, and God bless the Dutch royal family.

I think that if they were actually waving, it may have been something that they did out of shock. When people encounter traumatic events, they react differently, but it is very common to see people in shock exhibiting behavior as if the event didn't really happen at all.

True.
Not everyone exhibite "emotional" behaviours as Máxima (and other royals) did. If I was at Máxima's place I know I would express my horror right away just like she did but that's me, there are persons who don't act like this, and we should never jugde how people react. I read somewhere that those who don't react "immediatly" are more prone to develop post-traumatic stress disorders :(

So his targets were Máxima and WA? :eek: Then why did he do this against a bus full of royals? When the Police got close to him he was already dying, so maybe he said their names as he could have said any other royal name. It's so sad to imagine that this man hated WA and Máxima like this...
I still think he wanted to harm the Royal Family and to "punish" all of them for his situation :nonono:, not only one or two members or if.

they (I do not know which royals, I heard it on tv) waved to the people waiting at the Palace het Loo. There is a lane lined with trees that goes upto the palace in the park where very happy enthousiastic people were waiting for the bus and waving to them. Those people did not have an idea of what had just happened and out of courtecy to them, the royals waved back.

Thank you for that susan alicia :flowers:, that makes it somewhat more understandable for them to wave if the people nearer to Het Loo did not know what was going on. The way it was said in a previous post, I thought they were talking about the RF waving while still in the area of the accident.

I so agree with you. I really hope the royal members can find peace inside themselves because it was a terrible event for all of them. You never expect anything like this to happen to you, especially when you're a very beloved royal in your country!
I think events like this one traumatize everyone who watch them somehow. I believe I'll never forget that little girl and a man rolling over the floor... it was simply horrible. Now I try to imagine how traumatic and shocking it was to all those who watch it alive! The Queen is indeed a very strong woman, she deserves all the praises, and God bless the Dutch royal family.

True.
Not everyone exhibite "emotional" behaviours as Máxima (and other royals) did. If I was at Máxima's place I know I would express my horror right away just like she did but that's me, there are persons who don't act like this, and we should never jugde how people react. I read somewhere that those who don't react "immediatly" are more prone to develop post-traumatic stress disorders :(

So his targets were Máxima and WA? :eek: Then why did he do this against a bus full of royals? When the Police got close to him he was already dying, so maybe he said their names as he could have said any other royal name. It's so sad to imagine that this man hated WA and Máxima like this...
I still think he wanted to harm the Royal Family and to "punish" all of them for his situation :nonono:, not only one or two members or if.

I don't think we will ever know why he did this. I believe that if he were to have lived, he probably couldn't even give a true explanation as to why he did this. He was a sick person, and his reasons, whatever they were, were most likely illogical. He most likely acted out of impulse and insanity, and there probably wasn't any sort of reasonable thought going through his mind when he committed this horrible act.

About the waving.No one waved.

As the bus made it to the Palace there were many spectators cheering and waving.They awaited a RF smiling and waving,they instead saw a family sad,crying.The people there were blissfully unaware of what had taken place,they heard that only minutes after the RF had arrived.

All a few members did was to raise a hand,no-one waved.

People were disappointed at the time,but ofcourse later fully understood.

That it was Alexander an Máxima that Tates aimed,is nothing but a rumour among the Royal Constabulary Force.
It is anybodies wild guess as it is not confirmed.The commander who alledgedly said that to his troops,refuses to
talk.He wasn't/isn't in a position to talk anyway.Moreover,it is highly unlikely he was able to talk all that much at all.
He was unconscious most of the time due to his broken neck and the braindamage.People,anybody,in that condition
will not talk that much,utter a few words,yes,maybe.But meanwhile " we have heard him say" more then logically possible.

Last edited:
I don't think we will ever know why he did this. I believe that if he were to have lived, he probably couldn't even give a true explanation as to why he did this. He was a sick person, and his reasons, whatever they were, were most likely illogical. He most likely acted out of impulse and insanity, and there probably wasn't any sort of reasonable thought going through his mind when he committed this horrible act.

He said to a friend that he was to take revenge on the security company that recently fired him,and that he was to proof that security in Apeldoorn was a mess.It wasn't,he just ran through four rows of innocent people to get to his goal after he was send away by security & police minutes before.

Last edited:
I wonder if this incident will affect the Queen's decision about abdication. I really don't like to speculate and I hate the fact that Her Majesty's whole reign is passing with constant abdication speculations, but this incident could result in:

* abdication very soon (no need to explain why)
* Her Majesty's decision to reign for life (as symbol of of endurance and persistance)

I'm sure this incident will affect her decision somehow.

I wonder if this incident will affect the Queen's decision about abdication. I really don't like to speculate and I hate the fact that Her Majesty's whole reign is passing with constant abdication speculations, but this incident could result in:

* abdication very soon (no need to explain why)
* Her Majesty's decision to reign for life (as symbol of of endurance and persistance)

I'm sure this incident will affect her decision somehow.

No,it will not.
As Marengo already posted a few posts above,by means of HM's Minister of State Ruud Lubbers
he said a change is not eminent nor will be for the next few years.As he is very close to HM,
this is her way of letting all know that she doesn't intend to step down yet.

Last edited:
I just think that the royal family should have step out of the bus and be along with the victims and give their support to them in the street near them, be more close to their people and not only wave on a bus. On a moment like this they should not only fell sorry, but also make something with "their own hands".That would make a lot of difference. Of course we have security problems but there were many many police officers there that could have escolt some members of the Royal family to the tragic place just for a while, that would make a big difference!
Good heavens! You have got to be joking. The Royal family stepping off that bus would have "made a difference" alright. It would have been nothing short of disasterous. They and their protection squad would have hampered the swift action of the emergency services for nothing short of gratuitous publicity.

Whenever there is a disaster I always admire the VIP's who watch and wait from a distance and do not decide to "visit the scene" as a photo opportunity getting under everyones feet and removing resources for their security and transport that would be far better used at the scene.

The Dutch RF showed consideration and concern and visited when the victims were able to cope with such visits. A tremendous display of 'Grace under pressure".

Belgian newspapers write that different religious services on sunday were interupted by people of a German sect who say that the tragedy in Apeldoorn is a punishment of God...
HLN Buitenland - Duitse sekte noemt drama Apeldoorn 'straf van God' (842906)

Duitse sekte: 'Aanrijding Apeldoorn is straf van God' - Gva.be

Yes,that happened.The Mayor of Apeldoorn has ordered services are not to be interrupted anymore.

These ,what,people....said it was all the fault for not being a good enough christian...I think they don't have a notion on christianity themselves.

A clip of his interview with the NOS:

NOS - Koningshuis - Video - Constantijn: Koninginnedag met open karakter

------------------------------------------------------
Animation of the route that Karst T. took:

http://koningshuis.nos.nl/video/bekijk/id/tcm:5-512554/title/animatie-van-het-drama-op-koninginnedag

Interview of Astrid Kersseboom with the prime minister (on April 30th):
http://koningshuis.nos.nl/video/bek...gesprek-astrid-kersseboom-met-balkenende-2009

Curious detail: various owners of black Suzuki Swift, like the one used in Apeldoorn, have reported vandalism to their cars. Sometimes people even show their fists to the drivers in anger... (as reported in the Telegraaf on sunday).

Did you hear that Marengo?Two people who happen to have the same surname as the perpetrator,Tates,have been treatened via hate mails and the hyves site.They were very serious treats too.Now that is sick..

They ofcourse have nothing to do with any of it.I feel sorry for them.

Friday's service of remembrance at the Orpheus Theatre in Apeldoorn for the victims of the tragedy
will be attended by Her Majesty The Queen and TRH The Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima,
as well as HRH Princess Margriet and Professor mr.Pieter van Vollenhoven.

All members would have liked to attend but the RF will be represented by these five members as they feel maybe
otherwise all attention goes out to all the Princesses and Princes instead of the victims and their loved ones.

The service will be aired live starting at 20.30PM local time (GMT+1).In attendance will be only families of the victims,
the emergency services that were in place at the time,official from the Netherlands Antilles,
as one of the dead and several of the wounded are of Dutch Antillean origine.And ofcourse our RF.

Last edited:
What a terrible tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

Its a shame that people who are not connected with the perpetrator are being harrassed as well. Unfortunately, with tragedies such as this...we see the best (the diginity of Queen Beatrix and all of the Netherlands) and the worst (the people who feel the need to harass those who have share nothing with the perp other than the same last name).

Also in reference to the royals leaving the bus at the time of tragedy and going to comfort and help the victims. The royals did the best thing by staying on the bus. Them getting off (which would not have been recommended by their security) the bus would have added a lot of attention to them and not the victims, who needed the help.

Yes,that happened.The Mayor of Apeldoorn has ordered services are not to be interrupted anymore.

These ,what,people....said it was all the fault for not being a good enough christian...I think they don't have a notion on christianity themselves.

I won't comment if the Dutch royal family is composed by good or bad Christians but I agree when you say this German sect doesn't have a notion on Christianity. If these "wonderful christians" knew what the Bible really says, they would know that God never sends evil people to punish "bad" Christians... To be honest, I see this tragedy as a work of satan, not God, anyways...

Did you hear that Marengo?Two people who happen to have the same surname as the perpetrator,Tates,have been treatened via hate mails and the hyves site.They were very serious treats too.Now that is sick..

Poor people, they are innocent as well. Since the killer is dead... "here we go, let's threat all the Tates of this country!"... That is really sick... :nonono:

There are some crazy people around. I hope that the Richard Tates who was placed in the AD will sue and get a lot of money. It must have been awful for him. I believe Tates is a name that is not that uncommon, so a lot of people with that name should be around, among them the actor Chris Tates.

In Dutch: http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/3847221/___Ik_ben_geen_moordenaar__ik_leef____.html

Last edited:
Update from Dutchnews:

Royal attack: six still in hospital

Tuesday 05 May 2009
Six people injured when Karst Tates drove his Suzuki car through the crowds watching the royal motorcade during Thursday's Queen's Day celebrations are still in hospital, Apeldoorn mayor Fred de Graaf said on Tuesday.
One woman remains in a very serious condition, De Graaf said at a news conference. Seven people, including the driver of the car, were killed in the attack.

Read the entire article here.

There are some crazy people around. I hope that the Richard Tates who was placed in the AD will sue and get a lot of money. It must have been awful for him. I believe Tates is a name that is not that uncommon, so a lot of people with that name should be around, among them the actor Chris Tates.

In Dutch: 'Ik ben geen moordenaar, ik leef!' - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

Oh good lawd yes!To wake up and find your pic on the front page of a morningpaper saying;" This is Tates",really,way too much by any standard.
Unfortunately in these cases,we don't/can't sue for the millions the US can sue for anything.We simply don't have that system of what I often see as cashing in...In this specific case I would grant him the bucks,sure.

The prince of Orange and princess Maxima have visited the families of four people who died during queen's day. They stressed that they did so on behalf of the entire royal family. The couple also visited the Canada monument in Apeldoorn, where people laid flowers to commemorate the victims.

Prinselijk paar bezoekt rouwenden - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

Touching,genuine,warm,loving,caring,all these and other related words come to mind in relation
to how our RF reacts and interacts with the berieved.

This is one very caring,very moved and very loving Royal Family.
According to a sister of one of the victims they felt soo moved and strengtened by the visit.The first thing Alexander said on arrival was that he and Maxima were there on behalve of the entire Royal Family.They stayed for an hour with the family and that was greatly appreciated.The visits were very informal and relaxed and all could have their say.

After visiting the families the couple visited the Needle,scene of the tragedy,and walked over to the Canadian War Memorial watching the sea of flowers there while they engaged in talking to bystanders.There was security with them,but people found them very approachable,and it was very much appreciated they dropped by,very much so.

Last edited:
Belgian newspapers write that different religious services on sunday were interupted by people of a German sect who say that the tragedy in Apeldoorn is a punishment of God...
HLN Buitenland - Duitse sekte noemt drama Apeldoorn 'straf van God' (842906)

Duitse sekte: 'Aanrijding Apeldoorn is straf van God' - Gva.be

Ugh. The people of the Netherlands deserve to have some peace, not more disruption by people of a questionable mental state who are looking to cause problems. The religious services are designed to bring comfort and peace; how completely inappropriate of these people (IMO).

The parents of Karst T. have been heard by the national police this weekend. They don't know what to do with all the attention by the press etc. and are obviously very emotional. 'See you on sunday' was the last thing their son told them, 1 1/2 week before he drove his in the direction of the royal bus. The brother and the two sisters of Karst are also still flabbergasted by it all. On the night of April 30th and May 1sty the family said their goodbye's to Karst in the hospital of Deventer.

Last edited:
The parents of Karst T. have been heard by the national police this weekend. They don't know what to do with all the attention by the press etc. and are obviously very emotional. 'See you on sunday' was the last thing their son told them, 1 1/2 week before he drove his in the direction of the royal bus. The brother and the two sisters of Karst are also still flabbergasted by it all. On the night of April 30th and May 1sty the family said their goodbye's to Karst in the hospital of Deventer.

Oh I am so sorry for these poor people,they didn´t have a notion either,how could they know.Must be a devastating blow to them too.
One they carry along the rest of their lives,what a horrific thought alone.My heart goes out to them,I refuse to exclude them.

I agree with you, Lucien. I feel very badly for his parents and loved ones. It would be a terrible thing to come to terms with, and they are also in my prayers. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

I agree with you, Lucien. I feel very badly for his parents and loved ones. It would be a terrible thing to come to terms with, and they are also in my prayers. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

I hope that the press and the public will leave them alone.

How terrible, stil can't believe it. How nice of the royal family to visit the victems.

The parents and his sisters are also victims of this perpetrator. I feel very much for them.

The perpetrator was buried early this afternoon at Zevenaar in the presence of his immediate family only,10 all in all.
His grave has been closed immediatly and no flowers nor stone will adorn it.

Touching,genuine,warm,loving,caring,all these and other related words come to mind in relation
to how our RF reacts and interacts with the berieved.

This is one very caring,very moved and very loving Royal Family.
According to a sister of one of the victims they felt soo moved and strengtened by the visit.The first thing Alexander said on arrival was that he and Maxima were there on behalve of the entire Royal Family.They stayed for an hour with the family and that was greatly appreciated.The visits were very informal and relaxed and all could have their say.

After visiting the families the couple visited the Needle,scene of the tragedy,and walked over to the Canadian War Memorial watching the sea of flowers there while they engaged in talking to bystanders.There was security with them,but people found them very approachable,and it was very much appreciated they dropped by,very much so.

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Dutch royals visit families of attack victims

Glad to see WA and Maxima visited the families of several of the victims. No doubt the other families will get visits from the royals too.

The perpetrator was buried early this afternoon at Zevenaar in the presence of his immediate family only,10 all in all.
His grave has been closed immediatly and no flowers nor stone will adorn it.

That's probably wise to leave the grave anonymous (for now).
Like others said: I do feel sorry for his parents and siblings, they must be in total shock. Yes, the media should leave them alone. But they wont, of course.

Back
Top Bottom