Crash: 7 Victims & Perpetrator Dead, 10 Wounded at Queen's Day 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
THis is awful! I was especting this day from some time and...just see how it turned out! The only explanation I have for this is there is always people whose blood is bitter and cannot be happy, so they must destroy all society happyness too. I've read that when in Argentina we were ready to celebrate the Centenary of May Revolution (1810-1910), Anarchist began to put bombs everywhere just to ruine the whole celebration. The more sadly famous of these attacks was a bomb put at the Colón Theater, who injured a lot of people. Happyly, Centenary Celebrations were not suspended.When you read this, you'll suppose that after all this disaster, they must be lots of anarchist in Argentina. Well...no; there were only 1% of them in the entire country.I think that what happened shows clearly a similar situation: some few inadapted people wants not to Netherland to have a happy Queen's Day. THis very year, they won. But nex one, they WON'T. Vanesa.

I just got to read about this horrible evil. My sense of reasoning cannot understand why someone would want to hurt people in this way. I hope the Queen and family find condolence and sanity amongst this misery. Peace and love to all the Royals. May they resolve and rebound with our empathy.

I think today will spoil all the next Queen's days in the future for them and a lot of people.

They are phycically ok, but the queen was obviously very emotional.

Realizing that the car was aimed at them, and people died because a crazy man wanted to hurt them must be a horrible thought. Even more so when you have young children.

According to various television station the family went to castle het Oude Loo, next to the palace. HM's speech was recorded there too.

I have had similar thoughts all day. To know that so many people were present there to see the Queen and her family shows how populare the Oranges are in the Netherlands. Know that the victims, their families and the people of the Netherlands are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am deeply saddened and shocked by the events today. A day that should have been filled with fun and joy turned into tragedy. Innocent people lost their lives and it was for all to witness! My heart goes out to the Dutch people and also the royal family. This is very upsetting . You are in our hearts and prayers for sure..

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Royal Family and the Dutch people. I have been away from my computer today and just saw what happened. How awful that someone would do something like this and hurt innocent people.

When my radio alarm went off this morning I listened to the news as I was waking up. I was fully awake in time for the last story. This one. The radio said that a car had crashed through crowds at a parade in Holland, that several people were dead and many injured. It did not mention Queens Day, but I knew thats what it was. The last line said that Queen Beatrix expressed her shock and sympathy.

I have watched a few of the videos and like most here I dont seem able to comprehend it.
My condolences to the relatives of the dead and injured, those who were there, and to the Dutch people.
The RF must be living through hell right now, imagining.

What kind of person does this? It was even on the news in the US and Royal news usually doesn't make it over here.

It must have been a shock for the family to see that, people dying right in front of their eyes.

This is so horrible. I have read that this may be an "economy-related" crime as the man had recently lost his job and was about to be evicted from his house. Why his reaction to this was to attempt to wipe out the Royal Family who can say? Their wealth? If any of those were factors I can only say I hope this drives home the danger of people trying to stir up class hatred because of the hard times the world is going through right now. It is so senseless. Whether it is Marie Antoinette and the guillotine or Queen Beatrix and this maniac in his car people need to realize that killing some innocent person is NOT going to make anyone's life better. It is just horrid. Like some other have said, people over here tend to think of the Netherlands as an idyllic land of friendly people, picturesque windmills and tulips where things like this just don't happen. It's obviously not realistic but it seems to make the shock all the worse nonetheless.

My prayers and sympathies go out to all the victims, their families and the House of Orange.
:dutchstandard::cry:

I kinda wonder if any more info will surface about this. I also kind of wonder if there will be any kind of memorial service or something or maybe that's wrong of me to think, maybe that would be more of a private event. I'm still shocked about all this. I went to tell my friends about this and they had already heard about it and they don't follow royalty so you can tell this was obviously big, even in North America.

A service of remembrance has already been set for tomorrow at Grote Kerk, Apeldoorn. The Queen is expected to attend, and I would assume the other royals too. Maybe our Dutch members will know more.

My Prayers for The People on The Netherlands

A service of remembrance has already been set for tomorrow at Grote Kerk, Apeldoorn. The Queen is expected to attend, and I would assume the other royals too. Maybe our Dutch members will know more.
Thank you for that information, I had no idea. :flowers:

My condolences to the people of the Netherlands, especially the victims and their families.

I read MSN news and it said that man planned to kill royal family but he missed. Instead he killed 5 innocent people. He is a murderer.
The day that started so nicely turned a nightmare.
Dutch people will never forget this day. :sad:

it will definitely change the manner the future Queen's days are held, less spontaneous and more security. This will be discussed in the coming months after Holland has recovered from the shock and have been given time to grieve.

Come to think of it all the Royals together (except the very young) is a dangerous situation and difficult to guard. The attack was not only on the Queen but on all of them. They are in a way like a company, who do not allow all the Partners to get on a plane together (when they have their annual fun gettogether with their wives).

I think today will spoil all the next Queen's days in the future for them and a lot of people.

My sympathies for the people of the Netherlands and in particular the victim's families.

i can't stop thinking that if the needle wouldn't have been there, the car would have probably hit the bus of the royals. i'm not saying that the people who were killed were less important or anything but what a drama would it have been if the queen or any of the members of the family died.

i hope the netherlands is starting to recover. it's quite a problem that the driver died because now it will be more complicated to get more information.

I heard/read there's going to be a memorial service today. Does anyone know when and where?

I heard/read there's going to be a memorial service today. Does anyone know when and where?

At the Grote Kerk,Apeldoorn.It is just confirmed it will be tonight.HM will be in attendance apparently.

What is happening right now is that all the flowers,over 400 bouquets in Orange,Red White and Blue that
were supposed to adorn the steps of Het Loo Palace yesterday,are now being laid at the place of yesterdays tragedy.Moving,very moving.

Last edited:
At the Grote Kerk,Apeldoorn.It is just confirmed it will be tonight.HM will be in attendance apparently.
Thank you, lucien.

This might be a stupid question...
I saw pictures of big Koniginnedag parties all over the Netherlands.. especially in Amsterdam... showing many young people partying. Were the parties directly over when the News reached them?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

It is not fair that the driver is dead. This sentence is too soft. He should be alive now and explain why he had done this terrible. He should explain the families of the victims why the dead are dead and why the injured are injured. And he should go to prison for the rest of his life.

Dear Netherlands, I wish you the power to cope with and that this will never happen. Please don't give up.

Thank you, lucien.

I saw pictures of big Koniginnedag parties all over the Netherlands.. especially in Amsterdam... showing many young people partying. Were the parties directly over when the News reached them?

No this is not a stupid question at all.

The parties went on,even tho many knew what had happened.
The Mayor decided not to cancel all festivities,only the official ones,all
others continued as it would have caused a major disruption of public safety
since there were over 1 million people out and about in the city.Where to go with them?

You and I would have gone home,I'm sure,but there were many saying yeah well,sorry for Apeldoorn but we here party.

Some are just very selfcentered,by not wishing to use another word for it if you catch my drift.
But then also,none had seen the images as it happened like we/I have seen as it happened.
They just thought a car crash,so what.

Last edited:
this whole sad story is so much out of place for the dutch and their usual attitude ... if i had heard that something like this had happened and i had to guess where i would never ever had thought of the dutch and their royals. the famous laid-back or tolerant attitude, people looking at queen's day not only from a royal perspective but also to have a really good time has received a serious knock that will have an influence on what is to come in the future, and certainly for the worse. somehow unconcern or carefreeness has been taken away, again, after the killing of theo van gogh, but this time it is in realtion to royalty and, even worse, uninvolved bystanders are affected.

too bad the guy died, lucky and undeserved escape for him, he deserved to be confronted with his actions and face responsibility.

i feel for the dutch, very sad.

No not all the parties were directly over. Most of the official festivities were cancelled but Amsterdam decided not to cancel the big festivals because of safety reasons.

What a dreadful day. So many innocent people killed and injured and the Royal family in danger. This is not the Holland I knew and loved, used to live in Nijmegen, and my prayers go out to the families at this sad time.

Back
Top Bottom