Crash: 7 Victims & Perpetrator Dead, 10 Wounded at Queen's Day 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
was a reson for why he did this ??

was a reson for why he did this ??

Yes,I have explained that at almost every other page in this thread,please read two pages back,post 396,ao.Thank you.:)

Last edited:
From our blog:

Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven, husband of princess Margriet of The Netherlands confessed to reporters that he struggles with the memories he has of the tragedy that happened on Queen’s Day in Apeldoorn.
The professor was a guest speaker at Vrije Universiteit (Free University) in Amsterdam today. He was at the university to give a lecture to the students of social sciences. As chairman of the national safety commission he explained the students the importance and the difficulties of independent research after accidents, something he strived for since the early eighties. He also held a phea to quickly impliment a safety law, which has as goal to show that public safety is a primairy task of the state.
After the lecture the professor confessed to reporters of the NOS and NOVA that the entire family is still upset. ‘The images keep returning’, Pieter said. Pieter also told about his experiiences at the Gelre hospital, where he and his wife met the medical staff at April 30th. Around 80 employees of the hospital, from doctors to coffee ladies, shared their emotions with the couple. Almost all victims were first treated at the Gelre hospital, before some of them were moved to other hospitals in the region.

A momorial service was held at the square in front of Fort Amsterdam in Punda, Willemstad (Curaçao). Prime Minister Emily de Jongh-Elhage invited the Antillians to join the service, a few hundred showed up.

During the car crash, one Antillian man aged 71 lost his life and a few other antillians got wounded (a mother and a daughter I believe).

Curaçao herdenkt slachtoffers Apeldoorn - DePers.nl

The perpetrator was buried early this afternoon at Zevenaar in the presence of his immediate family only,10 all in all.
His grave has been closed immediatly and no flowers nor stone will adorn it.
That is so sad for his family who are also innocent victims not that I feel any sympathy for the man himself mind you but it must just be terrible to have to bury a family member like that.

Are there news about the wounded ? Are they out of hospital ?

That is so sad for his family who are also innocent victims not that I feel any sympathy for the man himself mind you but it must just be terrible to have to bury a family member like that.
I agree. What a terrible time for them.

Apeldoorn today,flags at halfmast,preparations for this evening as over ten thousand are expected to watch
the remembrance service on screens at the market square:

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy royalimages.

If you wish to see the service on-line:

Journaal 24 | Nederlandse Omroep Stichting

One of the wounded,a 14 year old girl,was discharged from hospital today.
Thank goodness,something positive.

There are still 3 women (1 still on ICU) 2 men and a 14 year old girl in hospital.

The service will start at 20.30PM local time (GMT+1).The RF will be present well ahead of that time as they wish to see/talk too/comfort the wounded that will be in attendance and their relatives as well as to the families of the victims most of whoms burial ceremonies took place wednesday,yesterday and today.

Last edited:
The Royal Family arrived at 19.30PM,an hour ahead to meet with the wounded,their families
as well as the berieved and aidworkers and listened / talked with them for over an hour.

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe

The wounded,at least those capable,are in attendance too tonight,the RF had extensive talks with them,
several came by ambulances from the hospitals they're still in to honour all affected.

Last edited:
Really unbelievable and heartwrenching. Thank you for all your updates to us who are very far away but still there in spirit. I hope the wounded who attended tonight found some peace just in being there. Our prayers are with you.

From our blog:

Dutch Royals Attend Memorial Service For Victims ‘Apeldoorn’

Queen Beatrix, the prince of Orange, Princess Máxima, Princess Margriet and Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven attended the memorial service for the victms of the Queen’s Day tragedy that was held tonight in the Orpheus theatre in Apeldoorn. Before the service the royals talked to victims and family of victims. This took so long that the service had to start 15 minutes behind scheduele. Apart from the royal family 1200 other people were present at the Orpheus theatre, among them prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende, vice prime minister Wouter Bos, defence minister Eimert van Middelkoop, the chairwomen of the first and second chamber and the mayor of Almere, Annemarie Jorritsma.

On the stage of the Orpheus theatre six big candles were lit, standing in candle holders. In each candle holder the name of a person who died on April 30th was engraved. The service was led by Jacobine Geel and the Dutch Baroque Ensemble started the service with the canon in D major of Pachelbel. After this the mayor of Apeldoorn, Fred de Graaf, named the six people who died:

Wilfrido Plantijn (71), from Almere
John Veldhuizen (64), from Amersfoort
Netty Martens (50), from Zutphen
José van den Berg-Begman (55), from Apeldoorn
Ad Teunissen (52), from Apeldoorn
Roel Nijenhuis (55), from Apeldoorn

At the end of his speech the mayor said the following: ‘Your Majesty (…) we saw the sadness in you eyes and heard it in your voice’. He also said the support of the royal family was very much appreciated by the victims and their families. After the mayor’s speech the royal militairy band ‘Johan WIllem Friso’ played the ‘Lament’ from ‘The Cry of Celts’.

After this it was prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende who spoke. He mentioned that the 100th birthday of princess Juliana was supposed to have been a beatiful day, but it ended in disaster. He said the royal family was deeply effected by the tragedy. The prime minister was thankful for a royal family that really is connected with people in their pain, as he was able to witness himself. After this speech, the mezzo soprano Tania Kross sung an Antillian song called ‘Plegaria’. One of the victims was from Antillian descend and several members of an Antillian dance group are still in the hospital.

The next to speak was Nadia van Opstal, whose mother was just released from hospital today. Nadia spoke of her personal experiences of the day, and summerized them up as insecurity, fear and sadness. She praised everybody who helped the victims. She also praised the prince of Orange and princess Máxima, who paid her mother and family a visit in hospital. She said that they were all deeply impressed by them, by their warmth and their genuine concern. When Nadia spoke these words, the camera zoomed in on the prince and princess, who both seemed moved to tears by Nadia, as were many. After this speech the Dutch Baroque Ensemble played ”Air’ by G.F. Händel.

The final speaker was Simon Boon, chairman of the Foundation of Orange Festivities (Stichting Oranjefeesten). He described his impressions of the day. After his speech the royal militairy band played the last post, after which a two minute silence was observed. The ‘Wilhelmus’, the Dutch national anthem, was played after which the service was ended.

Last edited:
Hilde Teunissen, sister of one of the victims, is a guest at the discussion programme Pauw and Witteman. She was impressed by the royals, the queen comforted her mother etc. She also said that it seemed from a conversation she had with the Prince of Orange and princess Máxima that the royal family somehow feel 'guilty' that these innocent people lost their lives, while the driver was aiming at them.

Another story that she shared: her mother received a card from a lady who went to the Queen's Day parade with ehr two small children. She talked to Ad Teunissen, one of the victims and tought she could sit on that spot. Ad Teunissen however pointed her to another spot, from which her children would see much more of the parade. The lady and her children went to that spot, which saved their lives!

--
During the service all members of the family seemed emotianal, but esp. the prince of Orange IMO.

Last edited:
Adding my thanks as well Lucien.

A seventh victim has now died. Achtste dode drama Apeldoorn - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

The womans 14 year old daughter is still in the hospital with her injuries.

It was this womans daughter who was discharged from hospital on friday.

Mother and daughter were/are from the town of Moergestel in the province of Noord-Brabant,
a very closeknitted community in which the now deceased played a prominent role in all kinds of activities.

It is beyond comprehension,the joy of having the daughter home again,and then the death of the mother later that day.
Really really too awfull.
R.I.P.

From our blog:

[...]

The next to speak was Nadia van Opstal, whose mother was just released from hospital today. Nadia spoke of her personal experiences of the day, and summerized them up as insecurity, fear and sadness. She praised everybody who helped the victims. She also praised the prince of Orange and princess Máxima, who paid her mother and family a visit in hospital. She said that they were all deeply impressed by them, by their warmth and their genuine concern. When Nadia spoke these words, the camera zoomed in on the prince and princess, who both seemed moved to tears by Nadia, as were many. After this speech the Dutch Baroque Ensemble played ”Air’ by G.F. Händel.

The final speaker was Simon Boon, chairman of the Foundation of Orange Festivities (Stichting Oranjefeesten). He described his impressions of the day. After his speech the royal militairy band played the last post, after which a two minute silence was observed. The ‘Wilhelmus’, the Dutch national anthem, was played after which the service was ended.

I love your summary and I don't like to sound grouchy but the "Air by a G string" which was played is from J. S. Bach and not from G. F. Händel.

All in all I was very moved by the words and the music pieces at this service and also when they showed the moved crowd at the Marktplein.

I love your summary and I don't like to sound grouchy but the "Air by a G string" which was played is from J. S. Bach and not from G. F. Händel.

All in all I was very moved by the words and the music pieces at this service and also when they showed the moved crowd at the Marktplein.

Oh dear, and I am supposed to be a classical music lover ;). I have corrected the blog, thanks!

It was indeed a moving service, solumn, somber etc. I just wonder why they didn't use the Grote Kerk instead, since it can probably also host 1200 people.

The 7th victim that died tomorrow is called Marij Pijnenburg, from Moergestel (Brabant). She was an english teacher at a secundairy school (ages between 12 and 18) in oisterwijk. Her 14 y/o daughter who was also wounded is also a student at the school, her husband works there too and another daughter passed her exams there last year.

Marij and her daughter were volunteers, they went to Apeldoorn with the drum band 'Prinses Juliana' from Tilburg. The band is for handicapped people. Marije and her daughter were two of the 5 volunteers who helped the band on Queen's Day.

All flags on municipalty buildings in Moergestel flew their flags half mast today.

---------------
The great church in Apeldoorn had a special service for children this morning, for children. Around 400 people turned up. The theme of the service was Í saw something'. It is hoped that this way the children will find it easier to deal with the memories they have of the day.

--------------
Source: GDP's royalblog.

was zapping channels on tv last night and saw a bit of this discussion programme, Dutch people who confessed to having the same feelings as Karst T. (not against the Royal family but against others in general) They had been desperate and crazy. It was sad and I suppose brave of those who confessed and I did not look for long

Rondom 10 krijgt reacties met begrip voor Karst T. - Binnenland - de Volkskrant.

Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima have visited the family of mrs.Marij Pijnenburg,the 7th victim of the Queensday tragedy,
in Moergestel yesterday afternoon.

Mrs.Pijnenburg was on the ICU untill she sadly passed away on friday may 8th.
Marij Pijnenburg's funeral will be today.

This is such horrible news I remember logging on to the web when my homepage MSN.com had an ungraphic photo of Princess Maxima of Netherlands in shock.
Talking about a Dutch man's attack on the royal family at the Queen's Day parade.
That man ruined many years of joyous and fun celebrations of the royal family connecting with the Dutch people.I feel sorry for those people who were injured or died and even those who were in the crowd when this tragic event happened.And all other people who live in the Neterlands I hope someday day the people will be able to find some type of way to cope with this and move on as well.

On behalf of the Royal Family Pieter van Vollenhoven visited the family of Karst T at their home in Zevenaar last week.
It must have been a difficult visit for all,most of all for those poor parents who had no idea of what their son was up to
and are left with immens grief and thousands of "what if " questions.

I hail Pieter for this visit,as I had always hoped he or Princess Margriet would visit this family too.

And as of now,I call that Karst T. another victim too.A victim of himself.
It is not for us to judge,there is only One,and I can''t recall Him to be a member of this forum yet.

Last edited:
Yes I remember Margriet saying in an interview that she and a close group of friends attendend weekly bible lessons led by a minister, she and Pieter are both religious and part of it is to try to be forgiving.

On behalf of the Royal Family Pieter van Vollenhoven visited the family of Karst T at their home in Zevenaar last week.
It must have been a difficult visit for all,most of all for those poor parents who had no idea of what their son was up to
and are left with immens grief and thousands of "what if " questions.

I hail Pieter for this visit,as I had always hoped he or Princess Margriet would visit this family too.

And as of now,I call that Karst T. another victim too.A victim of himself.
It is not for us to judge,there is only One,and I can''t recall Him to be a member of this forum yet.Amen.

Back
Top Bottom