Auction of Pieces of the Dutch Royal Collection: March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsarevitch

Commoner
City
Maastricht
Country
Netherlands
Sotheby's Amsterdam had the first auction today. For sale were 'left overs' from the inheritance of the late Queen Juliana (1909-2004). The first 213 lots were auctioned today. Revenue: 1,6 mn Euro (2,24 mn US Dollar). Sotheby estimated 480.000 Euro on beforehand. Still to go: lots 214 to 1725.

The revenues go to four charities:
50% to the Netherlands Red Cross (wish of the late Queen Juliana)
12,5% to the Princess Beatrix Fund (to fight muscular diseases, wish of Queen Beatrix)
12,5% to the Nature College (to improve awareness of nature, wish of Princess Irene)
12,5% to the Netherlands Red Cross (wish of Princess Margriet)
12,5% to the Princess Christina Music Concours (to encourage young musicians, wish of Princess Christina)

If the auction goes on like this, the four charities may share some millions.

Sotheby's Amsterdam had the first auction today. For sale were 'left overs' from the inheritance of the late Queen Juliana (1909-2004). The first 213 lots were auctioned today. Revenue: 1,6 mn Euro (2,24 mn US Dollar). Sotheby estimated 480.000 Euro on beforehand. Still to go: lots 214 to 1725.

The revenues go to four charities:
50% to the Netherlands Red Cross (wish of the late Queen Juliana)
12,5% to the Princess Beatrix Fund (to fight muscular diseases, wish of Queen Beatrix)
12,5% to the Nature College (to improve awareness of nature, wish of Princess Irene)
12,5% to the Netherlands Red Cross (wish of Princess Margriet)
12,5% to the Princess Christina Music Concours (to encourage young musicians, wish of Princess Christina)

If the auction goes on like this, the four charities may share some millions.

Sotheby estimated a total of 1.5 million Euro for the whole auction of the 10.000 objects,that already was surpassed today on the first day which had some rare objects like a 260 piece porcelain service,6 christal karafs,a medaillon from 1516.I think the entire auction will easily go over the estimate up to 4 to 5 times.It were not just "locals" who did the bidding,there also was a huge interest from bidders in Asia and North- and South America.

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?productionjobid=48857&flush=1

courtesy ANP

Last edited:
After yesterday,day two of the auction,there's 4.2 million euro in the bin....( $ 5.4 million)...

More then three times the estimate for the whole auction,and we still have two more days to go.:)

Is there a catalogue somewhere?

Another royal garage sale....

Yes, but unlike in other royal auctions, the revenues are fully for the benefit of four charities. I think that is a nice last expression of the commitment the late Queen Juliana always had with the underprivileged.

And we can only hail the four heiresses to honour their late mother in this way. They could easily have cashed several millions in their own private pockets but instead they make four beneficiaries very happy.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Yesterday the auction revenue went up to 4.2 million euros. The most expensive piece on tuesday was a Qing vase (204.000 euros).

The auction will go on until thursday.

I suppose it is all deductable for tax.

Another reason for the auction might be that with the closing of Soestdijk palace (and Lange Voorhout, Kneuterdijk, Prinsessehof etc.) the royal attics have become too crowded and needed to be cleaned up. Thoguh many pieces of Soestdijk went to the palace in Amsterdam I believe.

Is there a catalogue somewhere?

Yes ofcourse,it's on-line here:

Sotheby's: Art Auction House, Private Sales and Art-Related Financing

The proceeds since yesterday are at 5.7 million euro ( $ 7.34 million )

Today,thirsday,is the last of the 4 auction days.

I must say that Sotheby really had a lot of way too low estimates on the bulk of the objects,they could have known it would all fetch way more then the total estimate of a mere 1.5 million.Espically objects with a Royal provenance.Fe,I wouldn't have estimated a cream desk used by HM Queen Emma for just 200 to 500 euro.Anyone could have done that,you don't need much knowlwedge on the subject to know that was way too low.I believe it fetched 5 times over yesterday.Still a bargain tho.

Back
Top Bottom