Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question, but what would Queen Beatrix's title be once WA and Maxima are inaugurated? Is she still HM Queen Beatrix?

In the moment she has signed the Act of abdication in the morning of 30.04. she will become HRH Princess Beatrix again and Willem-Alexander HM King Willem-Alexander.

How I became queen

it's a shame netherlands is not like the UK and there isn't such thing as the "queen mother". it feels strange for beatrix to become only a princess! (stupid question: would this mean she would curtsy to her son/maxima? i guess not but i thought i'd check...)

in the meantime, i was reading this article of a reputable newspaper of argentina (la nacion) intitled "how i became queen"

Cmo me convert en reina

it mostly tells the story of the abdication of beatrix. i thought of translating a few bits and pieces that i found quite interesting. one could argue how can the writer know all this info, but he/she tells in the story a lot of details that only someone who knows maxima well could know. so i think it's quite credible information.

-it mentions how she told WA about abdicating after friso's accident, and the again during the hereditary couple's holidays in villa angostura this Xmas. it says: "This time the Crown prince did not object. He Just asked her how long she could hold for, and Beatrix replied she was determined it had to be soon."

-after this decision by beatrix, maxima arrived, confused, some days before her husband to Buenos Aires alone, days before he and his daughters, to spend time with family and friends. She arrived on a private jet on December 15, flanked by two bodyguards.

the article says she didn't stay at her parents' or the Alvear Hotel. She stayed in the apprartment of a single friend. "She ate huge amounts, as she described", says the writer. She talked for a long time with old colleagues from the Northlands school, visited Puerto Madero paced and went shopping in Santa Fe Avenue. "She was horrified by the clothing prices".

She did not want to talk about the abdication and kept the secret. She stayed with parents and siblings in the house that is property of Braun Francisco. In the mansion of Braun, she ordered roasts, made pizzas and went to buy croissants*. However, she didn't like eating. People flattered her on how skinny she was. A friend asked, jokingly, if she had undergone stetic operation and she replied, seriously: "No, but if needed I would go into the operating room without problems. For now, I'm all sacrifices. I keep eating salads!".

- She talked endlesly about her daughters, she said that a few times she pushed her daughters to the channels that are within the palace grounds to learn to swim. She also said that Ariane looks set to be the most "Argentina" of their daughters. Maxima hired an argentinian nanny for her, as opposed to the dutch Hansje Görtz, who took care of amalia and alexia. they mention in the article how the new nanny had studied in the netherlands, and followed a very strict recruitment process: criminal checks, interviews with the ambassador, selection over other 10 candidates, before she was flown to the netherlands.

* all of these being rather popular argentinian foods

I think its going to be HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands as that was what she was called before she was Queen. Personally I can't imagine calling her anything but Queen Beatrix.

Edit - just checked and yep its Princess Beatrix for sure from the royal website:

How is Queen Beatrix called after her abdication?
Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands.

How would Queen Beatrix that we will call her?
Princess Beatrix.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/nieuws/veelgestelde-vragen/

Last edited:
How is Queen Beatrix called after her abdication?
Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands.

That's so strange, starting to call Queen Beatrix "Princess". In my opinion, once a Queen, always a Queen, even if you lose the title.

Can't King Willem-Alexander granting her the tilte of "Queen Mother"? Didn't the Netherlands have something like Letters of Patent?

Can't King Willem-Alexander granting her the tilte of "Queen Mother"? Didn't the Netherlands have something like Letters of Patent?

Don't think that is possible. At last not without the consent of the Government as these Titles are regulated in the Act of the membership of the Royal House.

The title Queen Mother doen´t exist in the Netherlands and it´s for more than 100 years a tradition that all Queens will be named Princess after their abdication. Only after her dead Princess Beatrix will be named Queen. The same happend with Wilhelmina and Juliana.
I think regular people and media will call Beatrix Queen Mother, but the officialy title is Princess.

I am still in shock that Queen Beatrix will abdicate, I know it is a tradition in the Netherlands but being American, I had only had exposure to British Royalty until this wonderful forum, so it strikes me as strange but I think it is a nice tradition because now she will be able to enjoy more of her life and grandchildren, travel a littlle bit more freely. I personally wish Queen Elizabeth would do this only because I wish her a chance to relax after all the sacrifice she has made since she was 25 for the Crown. I would like to see her and Prince Philip relax and enjoy their golden years, sadly through I don't think Charles has a lot of support in becoming King. Willem-Alexander just looks like a King, he is one handsome man:whistling:(no disrespect meant to either him or Charles, just my opinion)

I am still in shock that Queen Beatrix will abdicate, I know it is a tradition in the Netherlands but being American, I had only had exposure to British Royalty until this wonderful forum, so it strikes [/QUOT

I think the Netherlands are in this way an example for a very modern monarchy. But I must say also Luxembourg and Liechtenstein are known with the abdication of their Head of State.

I am still in shock that Queen Beatrix will abdicate, I know it is a tradition in the Netherlands but being American, I had only had exposure to British Royalty until this wonderful forum, so it strikes [/QUOT

I think the Netherlands are in this way an example for a very modern monarchy. But I must say also Luxembourg and Liechtenstein are known with the abdication of their Head of State.

No, in Liechtenstein the Prince usually names his heir to be Regent, but don't abdicates.

But I bet that Belgium will start with the abdication custom in the years to come.

No, in Liechtenstein the Prince usually names his heir to be Regent, but don't abdicates.

But I bet that Belgium will start with the abdication custom in the years to come.

And maybe Sweden also?
I really was shocking surprised :eek: :ohmy: in the beginning as well, but now I really like this idea. You will get a new king without mourning for the former monarch. Handover is done, when the new king is "prepared", not when he needs glasses and a walking stick :whistling:.
Clever solution ...
BYe Bine

And maybe Sweden also?
I really was shocking surprised :eek: :ohmy: in the beginning as well, but now I really like this idea. You will get a new king without mourning for the former monarch. Handover is done, when the new king is "prepared", not when he needs glasses and a walking stick :whistling:.
Clever solution ...
BYe Bine
:clap: I so agree, I now really think it is a great idea, the new King still has his parent around to give advice and support, he can concentrate on ruling (although I know most don't really rule) and not be saddles with new responsibilities while trying to mourn their parent being gone. I wish the British would adopt this idea, but only after QEII makes it longer then Queen Victoria. :whistling::ROFLMAO:

Queen Elizabeth II will never abdicate. Nor will Queen Margrethe II, who said that she'll stay as Queen until the day she fall from the Throne, dead.

Well, in the Netherlands and Luxembourg the tradition is already established, and I believe Belgium will follow this "trend". And, of course, Liechtenstein has the "Regency tradition".

But I can't see the other Monarchies doing it. Maybe King Juan Carlos will abdicate after all those scandals.

"Abdication" sounds very abnormal to me. I believe that being a Monarch is job for life.

I think the process of abdication is acceptable in some monarchical traditions and not in others. It all really just depends on the role and symbol of the monarch and the vows that they each take.

Abdication in the Netherlands means one thing, in Britain it means something else entirely. I think that to wish that one monarch would abdicate because another one is, or to wish that one monarch wouldn't abdicate because another one isn't is to fail to take into consideration the nature of the individual monarchies and monarchs themselves.

I doubt that we're going to see a tradition of abdication develop in nations that don't already have one, especially if the monarch makes any life vows or is particularly religious.

NOS on NED1 and Radio1 will broadcast a speech by HM Queen Beatrix on the eve of april 29th at 20.30PM,it is a pre-recording from Huis ten Bosch Palace.

Curious to what HM will say...What if she's to take it all back...:lol:

A specific Thank You event for Queen Beatrix will be held soon after the Abdication & Enthronement too.

BTW,the documentary on W-A and Máxima will be on april 17th!

Oh but that was already posted and announced weeks ago,here,on the Royal House website...Not on Hello's site...grin:

News - Het Koninklijk Huis

THE NOS TV Site to concentrate on in ragard to what's what and where and how:

NOS Dossier - Troonswisseling

The NOS infographic on the Nieuwe Kerk:

NOS Dossier - Troonswisseling - Nieuwe Kerk

:)

It's been announced Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel will attend the Inauguration. I wonder who will go from the British Royal Family? The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall or The Earl & Countess of Wessex?

It's been announced Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel will attend the Inauguration. I wonder who will go from the British Royal Family? The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall or The Earl & Countess of Wessex?

Announcement of the Swedish Court:

http://www.kungahuset.se/

Charles was here in 1980,bound to be back again...He's a very close friend of HM..yes,I'm almost sure he and dear Camilla will be in attendance here.

I expect all the Heirs,and some spares,but all with their spouses.:flowers:

Announcement of the Swedish Court:

Sveriges Kungahus - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Charles was here in 1980,bound to be back again...He's a very close friend of HM..yes,I'm almost sure he and dear Camilla will be in attendance here.

I expect all the Heirs,and some spares,but all with their spouses.:flowers:

I am almost certain Charles and Camilla will be in attendance as well. Apart from the apparantely close relationship the Dutch and British Royal Houses have, most other senior British royals already have engagements on the day, including the Earl of Wessex (the usual representative abroad). Sophie has engagements on both 29th and 1st of May. So unless there is a surprise appearance from the Cambridges or Harry, Charles and Camilla it is.

Btw,an incredible amount of 1098 journalists from all over the world have requested to be accredited for the events in three weeks time...Three weeks,bah...incredible..It's going soo fast,it will be all over before we know it..:ermm:

Tonight on ARD German tv at 22.45PM: "Hut ab Majestät"...a documentary on occasion of the Abdication of HM Queen Beatrix.

Last edited:
Nice video of the interior of the Nieuwe kerk in Amsterdam,having visited it twice myself I find it a most fascinating former church building and well worth a look around.

Nieuwe kerk Amsterdam - YouTube

NOS on NED1 and Radio1 will broadcast a speech by HM Queen Beatrix on the eve of april 29th at 20.30PM,it is a pre-recording from Huis ten Bosch Palace.

Curious to what HM will say...What if she's to take it all back...:lol:

A specific Thank You event for Queen Beatrix will be held soon after the Abdication & Enthronement too.

BTW,the documentary on W-A and Máxima will be on april 17th!

Afscheidsrede koningin Juliana 29 april 1980 - YouTube

This link goes to the speech of HRH Queen Juliana on her last day of Queen on 29 April 1980. The film is not very good and I think Queen Beatrix will do it on a more modern way than Juliana.

Who of all of you will come to Amsterdam,or wants to come to Amsterdam for april 30th?

Not sure how accurate this person is but according to him Charles is to have tea with Sheikh Khalifa @Clarence House on April 30th.
Royal Blog NL
@ royalblognl
@ allthingsroyal The President of UAE has separate appointment: Sheikh Khalifa wants to have tea with Prince Charles at Clarence House.

The Earl of Wessex is attending the State Dinner on the evening of the 30th April for the UAE President. There is no mention of Sophie however and so far we have programme for the state visit.

The Earl of Wessex is attending the State Dinner on the evening of the 30th April for the UAE President. There is no mention of Sophie however and so far we have programme for the state visit.

Sophie has engagements on both the 29th of april and May 1st. So either it's C&C or Andrew. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom