Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think tis is a great news!! why betrix not will be queen mother? it's for protocol????
May be she can be more time with friso.
Queen Mother is a title of a widowed Queen Consort (Queen Dowager) who is also the mother of the current Monarch.
Queen Beatrix - a reigning Monarch - was obviously never a Queen Consort so she can't be a Queen Mother.

She will be called Princess Beatrix as per the Act on Membership in the Royal House which states that an abdicated Monarch reverts to his/her birth title. That means, once Her Majesty formally abdicates, she will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau after her abdication.

You can read a bit more on that here - Queen Beatrix’s Abdication: Changes and Traditions.

i wonder if Catharina-Amalia will be there on some of the events on April 30th...was WA at his mother's investure? at least in the morning event?

i wonder if Catharina-Amalia will be there on some of the events on April 30th...was WA at his mother's investure? at least in the morning event?

Yes, all three sons were there. And W-A looked incredibly bored. ;-)
Constantijn would have been only a year older that C-A is now, so I think that she will be there. Don't know about her sisters though. For Ariane especially it will probably be too long and uninteresting. But you never know.
How long does the ceremony take anyway?

Yes, all three sons were there. And W-A looked incredibly bored. ;-)
Constantijn would have been only a year older that C-A is now, so I think that she will be there. Don't know about her sisters though. For Ariane especially it will probably be too long and uninteresting. But you never know.
How long does the ceremony take anyway?

Long,considering that each and every Member of the States General has to take the Oath of Allegiance,and there are several speeches & formula's and official procedures,music.Plus the Investiture speech by HM King Willem Alexander and Him taking the Oath,music etc etc..say two to two and a halve hours from what I remember from 1980.

But it starts with the arrival of the guests at the Nieuwe Kerk,,and then the procession of the King and Queen from the Palace to the Nwe Kerk,it roughly will be a full afternoon of ceremonies and broadcasting.Not known yet if the new King and Queen will make a tour of the city,his mother didn't,but they will surely do that soon enough during the trips to Amsterdam and the provinces within the first months.

The Signing of the Instrument of Abdication,the speeches plus actual signing in the morning and the subsequent announcement on the balcony introducing the new King and Queen,and the three Princesses by then Princess Beatrix will take about an hour and a halve.

And then in the evening there's a huge party where everyone attends too and that was aired,partially too in 1980,so there really should be a lot of coverage.At the time it was on the ferry " Koningin Beatrix" of the Stena Line.

Plus,within a year we will probably see several outgoing State Visits,first to the neighbours Belgium and Luxembourg where the new Royal Couple has to go first before,due to protocol,another Monarch can again come to The Netherlands.That's the same everywhere,so we will see State Visits to at least all the Monarchies and ofcourse to our neighbour in the east,Germany...:)

Last edited:
just watched the investure of Queen Beatrix and i liked it very much, it is very regal indeed^^
makes me more excited for the date!!!
also, while watching the videos, made me wonder if Maxima will wear another royal robe, Claus remained a prince, but Maxima will be granted a new title, Queen...
Queen Emma had one? its so back then, maybe there are no info about that.

and i sincerely hope that Amalia, Alexia and Ariane go dressed with diferent clothes and not dressed the same.

just watched the investure of Queen Beatrix and i liked it very much, it is very regal indeed^^
makes me more excited for the date!!!
also, while watching the videos, made me wonder if Maxima will wear another royal robe, Claus remained a prince, but Maxima will be granted a new title, Queen...
Queen Emma had one? its so back then, maybe there are no info about that.

and i sincerely hope that Amalia, Alexia and Ariane go dressed with diferent clothes and not dressed the same.

Queen Emma had none,she ofcourse married a man who was already King and therefore there was no need....The triple A's will look fine regardless.
Her grandmother and sisters looked very smart and all were dressed the same..its not a jeans and t-shirt day...grin..

i hope to see Maxima in a blue gown instead of white. usually women when become Queen (reigning or consort) opt for a white dress (QEII, Queen Beatrix, Queen Sonja to name a few), hope she is like Queen Sofia and wear some color.
But it starts with the arrival of the guests at the Nieuwe Kerk,,and then the procession of the King and Queen from the Palace to the Nwe Kerk,it roughly will be a full afternoon of ceremonies and broadcasting.Not known yet if the
Plus,within a year we will probably see several outgoing State Visits,first to the neighbours Belgium and Luxembourg where the new Royal Couple has to go first before,due to protocol,another Monarch can again come to The Netherlands.That's the same everywhere,so we will see State Visits to at least all the Monarchies and ofcourse to our neighbour in the east,Germany...:)
hmm, it seems we will see a lot going on for this year and the next. lots of glitering and sparkling bling bling awaits us:ROFLMAO:

For female MP's the dress code will be day dresses without hats.

As far as dresscode is concerned,ladies of the States General,Parliament,are kindly requested not to go overboard with mad hatteries.No larger then life hats,i.e.,no huge concoctions that hide the face of a member of Parliament.When they take the Oath of Allegiance to HM The King,their faces should be visible to all present at the ceremony and the people.

For gentlemen the code is white tie or dark suit...(but white tie ofcourse looks so much better.:)..)...And for ladies appropiate afternoon dress,without hats!Good,all will have a clear view while in attendance at the ceremony,and all will be visible as required.

This was conveyed yesterday to the female Members of Parliament of both the Second Chamber and the Senate.

As far as dresscode is concerned,ladies of the States General,Parliament,are kindly requested not to go overboard with mad hatteries.No larger then life hats,i.e.,no huge concoctions that hide the face of a member of Parliament.When they take the Oath of Allegiance to HM The King,their faces should be visible to all present at the ceremony and the people.

For gentlemen the code is white tie or dark suit...(but white tie ofcourse looks so much better.:)..)...And for ladies appropiate afternoon dress,without hats!Good,all will have a clear view while in attendance at the ceremony,and all will be visible as required.

This was conveyed yesterday to the female Members of Parliament of both the Second Chamber and the Senate.

Translation; Let's not look like the Kardashians finally getting an invite to Ascot. :eek:

The Royal Barge will be in use on april 30th.The Maritime Museum received the request to prepare the Royal Barge for use that day.While there also might be a tour in the Gold Coach after the Investiture.Promising developments soothing for the eyes...!

The Barge was last used by HM Queen Juliana in 1962 and now is on view at the Maritime Museum,Amsterdam.:)

The barge was commissioned by King Willem I and build between 1816 and 1819.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Barge need to be restored? I though that was one of the purposes of the 1 million euro grant the museum received. Hate to see it sink into the canal with the new King & Queen on board.

Apparently 30.000 will be needed for the actual restoration. They want to display the restored barge in an especially designed glass box, outside the museum of shipping in Amsterdam. I guess that is where the rest of the money will go.

If the restoration itself is 'only' 30.000 Euros it must be a relatively minor one. A spokesperson (of the museum?) said that it may be possible to have it restored on time. However I am not sure if they will use it.

It is a risk, as it isn't 100% sure the barge will be finished on time. And another aspect is, that using the barge will mean that quite a part of the canals/ IJ will have to be blocked for other ships. This will be tricky as on Queensday the canals are extremely busy with boats.

So in the end I am not so sure if this isn't just a press message made by a clever marketing/PR manager of the museum of shipping / the lottery that donated the money.

Apparently 30.000 will be needed for the actual restoration. They want to display the restored barge in an especially designed glass box, outside the museum of shipping in Amsterdam. I guess that is where the rest of the money will go.

If the restoration itself is 'only' 30.000 Euros it must be a relatively minor one. A spokesperson (of the museum?) said that it may be possible to have it restored on time. However I am not sure if they will use it.

It is a risk, as it isn't 100% sure the barge will be finished on time. And another aspect is, that using the barge will mean that quite a part of the canals/ IJ will have to be blocked for other ships. This will be tricky as on Queensday the canals are extremely busy with boats.

So in the end I am not so sure if this isn't just a press message made by a clever marketing/PR manager of the museum of shipping / the lottery that donated the money.

The Maritime Museum Amsterdam,where the barge is on display,received a gift of 1 million euro just for the restoration of this barge from the BankGiro Lottery here in The Netherlands last week.It is perfectly funded..Former Navy diehards however say there's a lot of work to be done to get the vessel seaworthy again in time...They also told how Queen Juliana had a strong dislike for the vessel,she deemed it "Eng!"...Her mother however was very fond of the Royal Barge as well as the Royal Navy.

It is a piece worthwhile to restore,commissioned by King Willem I and build between 1816 and 1819,the museum received the 1 million to build a permanent glass "box" next to the MM for future display of the barge.

Btw,no-one said it will be used for a canal tour,it is absolutely unfit for that...in terms of manouvering alone as that is very difficult with this vessel in open water let alone in the relatively small canals...If,then it will be used somewhere from the Navy Embankment along the IJ river to where ever,the CS for instance,but not the canals within the city itself.

So I suppose 'the museum" doesn't quite know what to say as they're not used to anything...Used 51 years ago for the last time..they haven't got a clue on the possibilities...The Navy sailors that used to row it loved it for its looks but detested it for the huge difficulty in manouvring...grin.. So no,it definetely will not be used on the Canals,no Prinsengracht Marengo..:)

An industry on its own...Abdication paraphernalia:

PPE Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture:
NEW €2 COİN BEATRİX & WİLLEM-ALEXANDER:
MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASH

Does anyone know what will happen to the general design of euro coins in Netherlands after W-A becomes king? Because normally they would change the faces in the coins to show the new monarch, right? But it would seem weird if a country could change their coin-designs just like that. I have thought that the €coin-images are permanent, but does that mean that all the countries that have a royal family and have put their monarch's face in €coins are now "stuck" with the design? :ermm:

Does anyone know what will happen to the general design of euro coins in Netherlands after W-A becomes king? Because normally they would change the faces in the coins to show the new monarch, right? But it would seem weird if a country could change their coin-designs just like that. I have thought that the €coin-images are permanent, but does that mean that all the countries that have a royal family and have put their monarch's face in €coins are now "stuck" with the design? :ermm:

The back site of the Euro, are in all EU country´s the same and permanent. But the front is the ¨national¨ site of the Euro. Every country can choose itself what they will display on that site. from the beginning of the reign of Beatrix, the Dutch gulden showed queen Beatrix and also on the front of the Dutch Euro´s. Later this year the royal Mint of the Netherlands will present the new front site of the Dutch Euro with the new King.

Today the royal press office announced a few detail of April 30:

10:00 the Queen signed the document of abdication in the ¨Mozesroom¨ at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam.
10.30 the Queen (after the signing Princess) and the new King will speech at the palace balcony. Also Queen Maxima and their daughters will accompany the new King.
13.55 Start of the Royal procession from the Royal Palace to the nieuwe kerk.
14.00 The King enters the church and the inauguration of King Willem-Alexander begins.
16.30 Reception at the Royal Palace.

Today the royal press office announced a few detail of April 30:

10:00 the Queen signs the document of abdication in the ¨Mozesroom¨ at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam.
10.30 the Queen (after the signing Princess) and the new King will speech at the palace balcony. Also Queen Maxima and their daughters will accompany the new King.
13.55 Start of the Royal procession from the Royal Palace to the nieuwe kerk.
14.00 The King enters the church and the inauguration of King Willem-Alexander begins.
16.30 Reception at the Royal Palace.

Exactly the same as in 1980.

10.00AM to 10.30AM HM Queen Beatrix wil Abdicate in the Mozes Hall of the Royal Palace,Amsterdam in the presence of TM King Willem - Alexander,Queen Máxima,the Kingdoms Council of Ministers,the Chairs of both the Second Chamber and Senate of the States General and other Members of the Royal Family.The Instrument of Abdication will be read out by the Director of the Cabinet of HM The Queen.

10.30AM to 10.50AM Princess Beatrix and TM King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima will appear on the balcony of the Royal Palace,the Princess and the King will both hold a short speech,after which HRH The Princess of Orange and TRH Princesses Alexia and Ariane will join Their parents on the balcony.

13.55PM Procession of TM The King and Queen to the Nieuwe Kerk.

14.00 to 15.30PM ThetakingoftheOathand Inthronisation of HM King Willem Alexander and speech by the King.Speeches by the Chair of the States General,mr.G.J. de Graaf and Inthronisation declaration by the Chair after which all Members of Parliament as well as Members of the States General of Aruba,Curacao and St.Maarten will take the Oath of Allegiance to His Majesty

16.30PM to 17.30PM Reception at the Royakl Palace for the Authorities and Members of the States General.

No evening program is announced yet,nor if their will be a tour in the Gold Coach or Crême Caleche nor how and where exactly the Royal Barge will be used that day.

The Royal House website:

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/globale-paginas/taalrubrieken/english/news/

Last edited:
The Green party (GroenLinks) of Amsterdam want the anti-monarchists to be able to voice their protest at Koningsplein (King's square) on the day of the abdication. She even thinks it is a good idea for the carriage/ barge will pass the demonstration.

The Amsterdam Mayor, Eberhard van der Laan (Labour/PvdA), earlier already said that demonstrations on Dam square will not be allowed but that anti monarchists should be able to demonstrate in the center. The minister of Safety & Justice, Ivo Opstelten (VVD) said something simular.

GroenLinks: 'Demonstratie antimonarchisten op Koningsplein' - Home - PAROOL

----

I hope that they will not allow a demonstration along the route of the carriage/barge (if there will be a tour through the city). The last time they did that somebody threw paint over the golden carriage, which was quite expensive to remove. WHo knows what wil be thrown next?

Furthermore, there will only be a few protesters anyway (who will still get maximum press attention). For the wedding of WA and Máxima there were 1500 of them, and that mainly focussed on Máxima's father, who wil be less of an issue now. Such a group of protesters will mainly consist of anarchists/anti-globalists etc. and not the less rowdy left-intellectual republicans. And of the group of anarchists, many will be foreign anarchists who live temporarily in a squater house in Amsterdam as they feel the need to rebel against their parents. No need to waste so many police resources on such a group IMHO, but if they do need to protest, let's do it far away from the actual event.

Last edited:
Nonsense by that silly party,they have no clue nor have any member left and then try to profile themselves with this...achterlijk stel!I hope van der Laan is all the wiser and doesn't allow these idiots to throw anything nasty.

Will the robe to be worn by WA need to be extended since the time Beatrix wore it? He is after all considerably taller than his mother and it may appear much shorter on him than when she wore it in 1980?

Thus far two members of parliament refuse to take the oath on April 30th at the inauguration of the new king. Both are members of the former Maoist/ Marxist-Leninist party (SP). One claims to be out of the country and the other one objects because she already made an oath when she was installed as a member of parlament. Both of them are new and fairly young so I guess thisis their way to get their few seconds in the press.

The members of the party of the Animals (yes... it truely exists) are still debating the issue. They want to know if the rights of the king also include "shooting animals". Sigh. They also hope that there won't be any fireworks as in April/May birds wil be nestling, and fireworks will disturb them (second sigh). And they oppose the use of the ermine robe, as they used fur to make it (third sigh).

I am sure that more members of parlament will follow btw.

Last edited:
Thus far two members of parliament refuse to take the oath on April 30th at the inauguration of the new king. Both are members of the former Maoist/ Marxist-Leninist party (SP). One claims to be out of the country and the other one objects because she already made an oath when she was installed as a member of parlament. Both of them are new and fairly young so I guess thisis their way to get their few seconds in the press.

The members of the party of the Animals (yes... it truely exists) are still debating the issue. They want to know if the rights of the king also include "shooting animals". Sigh. They also hope that there won't be any fireworks as in April/May birds wil be nestling, and fireworks will disturb them (second sigh). And they oppose the use of the ermine robe, as they used fur to make it (third sigh).

I am sure that more members of parlament will follow btw.

If they do not take the oath can they still take their seat in Parliament?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom