Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the inauguration is not a Coronation as such, I really hope to see most fellow Monarchs (or at the very least, the Heirs) at the ceremony as well. And this is also the one occasion Prince Charles and Camilla can't really be excused to miss, especially if all other heirs attend.

The more I think about it, the more this Dutch model makes sense to me. Now, Willem-Alexander and Maxima will be able to enjoy their big day without the burden of a loss of a beloved family member. And Queen Beatrix will always be there to offer guidance and advice. In many ways, it really is better than "The King is dead. Long live the King" scenario.

I guess we'll know more on the plans and invited guests over the next few weeks.

News - Het Koninklijk Huis

The Dutch monarchy official website attempts to answer questions about titles, residences, etc post abdication and the succession of King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima.

:previous:
I'm glad they were so quick to respond to some of the questions.

Queen Beatrix’s Abdication: Changes and Traditions
With the announcement Her Majesty Queen Beatrix will formally abdicate, let’s have a look at the changed the Dutch Monarchy will undergo as an immediate result of the abdication.

Her Majesty the Queen will sign the Instrument of Abdication at the Royal Palace, Amsterdam on April 30, 2013 – the 33rd anniversary of her reign. Abdication itself is nothing new or unusual for the Dutch Royal Family; in fact, Her Majesty will be the third successive Dutch Monarch to voluntarily abdicate the Throne, following her grandmother, Queen Wilhelmina, and her mother, Queen Juliana.

The most obvious change is of course the fact the Netherlands will have a new Monarch – the King in 122 years (Queen Beatrix had succeeded her mother, Queen Juliana, who herself had succeeded her own mother, Queen Wilhelmina). The current Prince of Orange will reign as King Willem-Alexander, and not King Willem IV as had been expected. His wife, Princess Maxima, will be his Queen– the first Dutch Queen Consort since Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont.

A look at the traditions surrounding the abdication and changes that will occur after the abdication, from inauguration ceremony to the line of succession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the monarchs from other countries send letters of congratulations on this occasion? Or, in the case of the other Crown Prince's/Princesse, perhaps an "OMG!" text to Willem-Alexander? Of course, I'm joking about the latter. But, seriously, how do the other monarchs treat this news?

I admire Queen Beatrix making a very smart decision. The Dutch royal house is very modern. Abdication is the best way to pass the crown to the next generation. I wish Queen Beatrix has very peaceful days after that and enjoy with her family. Wish WA and Maxima and their family get well with the new positions soon. WA and Maxima are the earliest to become king and queen among the European royals. Amalia will be the crown princess~~~

I am curious about the date - April 30th - and the participation of the Swedish Royal Family at the inauguration. For example I would definately see CP Victoria joining (godchild of Queen Beatrix and friend of the Royal Couple). But it is also her Father´s birthday - and the balcony waving in Sweden.
Interested to see, how she will solve that.
BYe Bine

Not doubting, but I just read the wiki article on your constitution and a related article on your monarchy and it only specified 'the capital'.

Don't read wiki in matters like this,we have a wonderfull Royal House website instead...:...:)

oh,and btw...in due time the King and Queen will move into Huis ten Bosch Palace.

News - Het Koninklijk Huis

Will the European royal families attend at the inauguration?

I am curious about the date - April 30th - and the participation of the Swedish Royal Family at the inauguration. For example I would definately see CP Victoria joining (godchild of Queen Beatrix and friend of the Royal Couple). But it is also her Father´s birthday - and the balcony waving in Sweden.
Interested to see, how she will solve that.
BYe Bine
perhaps she will this year no attend her fathers birthday celebrations. usually she is there every year but i'm not asure if she has attended when she studied in the US. Also Madeleine was not there evfery year. If Victoria and Daniel attend the Inauguration Madeleine and Chris could therefore attend the King's birthday.

Máxima made it know to the PM that her parents will not be in attendance...A very gracious deed indeed,but one i wouldn't have had a problem with,at all.

And Gertrude,The Nieuwe Kerk IS the venue according to the Constitution,regardless what the NOS says.It has been the case since King Willem I.

According to the official website (frequently asked questions) the Nieuwe Kerk is not the venue according tot he constitution, but it "follows historical and practical considerations."

Veelgestelde vragen - Het Koninklijk Huis
Google Translation

"Waar in Amsterdam en waarom?
De Nieuwe Kerk Amsterdam. De inhuldiging in de Nieuwe Kerk is niet voorgeschreven, maar het gevolg van historische en praktische overwegingen."

Where in Amsterdam and why?
The Nieuwe Kerk Amsterdam. The inauguration in the Nieuwe Kerk is not mandatory, but follows historical and practical considerations.

Last edited:
Hopefully, yes. Personally, I expect most crowned Heads of State and/or their Heirs Apparent to be present.
The Benelux and Scandinavian Royals will of course be the best-represented ones given their close relationship with the Dutch Royals. The British also appear to have strong ties to their Dutch counterparts (the warm relationship between Elizabeth II and Queen Beatrix is especially apparent) so I hope Prince Charles and Camilla will represent Her Majesty at the inauguration ceremony. Doubt Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip will make it though, given their advanced age.

If they attend then never the Reigning Monarchs,but the Crown Princes and Crown Princesses and other members of Royal Families.

As a rule the Reigning Monarchs are never in attendance at Dutch Inthronisations.

For Queen Beatrix's Inauguration, those in attendence included: The Prince of Wales, Princess Benedict and her husband, The Hereditary Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg (Henri and Marie-Therese), Crown Prince Harald and Crown Princess Sonja of Norway, Prince Albert and Princess Paola of Belgium. Japan also sent an Imperial Royal representative, but I couldn't work out who that was.

For the Inauguration of Queen Juliana, Princess Margaret of Great Britain (among many others from the rest of Europe I suspect) attended.

So the precedent seems to be heirs to the throne or another very high profile representative.

If they attend then never the Reigning Monarchs,but the Crown Princes and Crown Princesses and other members of Royal Families.

As a rule the Reigning Monarchs are never in attendance at Dutch Inthronisations.

Interesting.

Is there a special reason for that?

For Queen Beatrix's Inauguration, those in attendence included: The Prince of Wales, Princess Benedict and her husband, The Hereditary Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg (Henri and Marie-Therese), Crown Prince Harald and Crown Princess Sonja of Norway, Prince Albert and Princess Paola of Belgium. Japan also sent an Imperial Royal representative, but I couldn't work out who that was.

There was no Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg in 1980 so Henri attended alone.

i would love to see a last 3 generation photo when she is still the queen, when was it done last time?

As we know now that Maximas parents won't attend the inauguration, but do you think they will stay during that time in the Netherlands to stay with their granddaughters?

There was no Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg in 1980 so Henri attended alone.

Yes, you are quite correct, my source has been fired.

I read somewhere that queen Beatrix uses to spend every other weekend in London with Mabel and her grand-daughters. Even as it is just a short flight from Schiphol to London, it must have been a really stressful year for her. She has been a wonderful monarch but in times like this, it is good that she has been aware that she has a very capable successor in her son and used the freedon the Dutch tradition gave her to announce her wish to step down.

I'm not informed about how much family support Mabel has from her own family but I feel the queen and Mabel to be very close and am glad that Beatrix will have more time to spent it as she wants/on supporting her family. It must be wonderful for her grandchildren to spend more time with her and I'm sure she will be able to help raise Amalia into an extraordinary future queen.

I admire Queen Beatrix making a very smart decision. The Dutch royal house is very modern. Abdication is the best way to pass the crown to the next generation. I wish Queen Beatrix has very peaceful days after that and enjoy with her family. Wish WA and Maxima and their family get well with the new positions soon. WA and Maxima are the earliest to become king and queen among the European royals. Amalia will be the crown princess~~~

Queen Beatrix took the right decision. After almost 33 years of reign, she found it right to pass the batton to the next generation. Willem-Alexander and Maxima are well prepared for the task.
I do hope that this decision will inspire other monarchs to do the same.
Good luck to the future monarchs of Netherlands.

This is the beginning of a new era for European monarchies. 10 years from now, many of the other aging monarchs will reduce their workload more or actually step aside for their heirs. The new generation of monarchs is at hand.

This is the beginning of a new era for European monarchies. 10 years from now, many of the other aging monarchs will reduce their workload more or actually step aside for their heirs. The new generation of monarchs is at hand.

I think we should talk about 20 years.

principessa said:
I think we should talk about 20 years.

Then those monarchs will be in their 90s, if they make it that far.

Can there not be peer pressure for other monarchies to follow suit. This is a Dutch tradition. My main problem with this is Beatrix going back to being a Princess. It just doesn't sound right.

Did Juliana have health problem when she Abdicated. What was her role efter Abdication.

Did Beatrix and Claus have a introduktion years so to speak visisting all contys in the nertherlands?

I'm wondering if Willem-Alexander will wear the wonderful royal mantle that previous monarchs have worn at the Investiture Ceremony and also if there's one for the queen consort?

I'm curious to see it aswell. The last time it was outed for Beatrix inaugration it was in a bad condition.

I'm wondering if Willem-Alexander will wear the wonderful royal mantle that previous monarchs have worn at the Investiture Ceremony and also if there's one for the queen consort?

According to the website of the RF, he will wear it.

I can see some foreign royals attending - edward and sophie from britain, phillippe and mathidle from belgium, guillame and stephanie from luxembourg, victoria and daniel from sweden, haakon and mette-marit from norway and fred and mary from denmark, Maybe albert and charlene from monaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom