Eastern-Jewel-Yoshiko Kawashima.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanesa

Royal Highness , TRF Author
City
Buenos Aires
Country
Argentina
Hi, people!:

Someone knows where can I find some photos of Eastern-Jewel, the Chinese-Manchurian Princess who was known in Japan as Yoshiko Kawashima? She worked a a war-spy for Japan and was beheaded by Chiang-Kai-Shek. She was Chinese but all her life, she felt as a Japanese patriot. She dressed as a man and her life was promiscuous and scandalous.

I'm also searching pics of Hiro Saga, the Japanese princess who married Aisin-Gioro Pu Chieh, the Chinese last Emperor.

Thank you very much in advance!
Vanesa.

Last edited:
Rex Sveciae

As for "Eastern Jewel" the only pictures I'm aware of can be found in David Bergamini's controversial 1970 book "Japan's Imperial Conspiracy". She was indeed as you describe her.
As for the Japanese Princess, did she in fact marry Pu-yi, or his brother?

Hiro Saga was married to Pu-Chieh the younger Pu-Yi's brother. Pu-Yi was married with two ladies at the same time, one of them was Wan-Jung, the Empress, who liked to be called "Elizabeth", and the "secondary" one was named Wen -Shiu. Whe -Shiu went away when they were living in Tsie-Tsin, and Wang-Jung became adict to opium. The Emperor and she didn't go along any more.

After Manchukuo State collapsed, Pu-Yi tried to escape but he was captured by the Russian Communist and must go in jail in Russia. Hiro Saga and Wan-Jung were captured by the Nationalist Army (the Chiang-Kai-Shek one). Wan-Jung couldn't have her opium ant more and went right to delirium while she was in jail. Hiro Saga nursed her patienly and kindly (even if the Empress never liked Japanese people) and poor Wan-Jung asked their guards things as if she were at the Imperial Palace. Guards laughed at her when she commanded in a dictatorial way: " Go and bring me some sandwiches, lad". After a while, the two sister-in-law sere separated. After some troubles, Hiro could return to Japan, but Wan-Jung died shortly after Hiro leave. She died in the middle of pools of her own physical fluids and guards didn't want to enter to the ward because the awful odor.

Vanesa.:(

Yes...And Empress Wang Jung was one of the most beatiful women of her time...she died in a such tragic way. :(

Vanesa.

Thank you, Snow Wang! Wang Jung was indeed a beatiful lady (I already knew some others pics of her), but Eastern Jewel was not dynamite...;) She was a little manly for my personal taste.

And I have a little question...Who are the other two persons who are with her in the last picture?

Thank you very much for posting these interesting pics, Snow Wang!

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
Thank you, Snow Wang! Wang Jung was indeed a beatiful lady (I already knew some others pics of her), but Eastern Jewel was not dynamite...;) She was a little manly for my personal taste.

And I have a little question...Who are the other two persons who are with her in the last picture?

Thank you very much for posting these interesting pics, Snow Wang!

Vanesa.

Hi,Vanesa! I'm sorry to late.:p
Yoshiko Kawashima was married to Ganzhu’er Zhabu and was divoiced later. Ganzhu’er Zhabu was the son of Babu Zhabu, head of “Zongshe Party”. Ganzhu’er Zhabu was an office in Xing’an Bureau dealing with Mongolian affairs and later became the commander of No. 9 Military Supervision District of Manzhou.

Yoshiko Kawashima introduced Zhengzhu’er Zhabu (younger brother of Ganzhu’er Zhabu, 28 years old then) and a Japanese lady Mishan Lianjiang (By Chinese pronounce , 21 years old) to be married and created an “international marriage”. Zhengzhu’er Zhabu was an officer in Police Department of the former Xing’an Province and later became chief of staff in No. 10 Military Supervision District.

Notes to the photo: Yoshiko Kawashima (left) and Zhengzhu’er Zhabu (middle) and Mishan Lianjiang (right), photo was taken on November 18, 1933.

Hi, Snow-Wang!:

You are right. Yoshiko Kawashima was married at first to a Mongolian Prince Ganzhu'er Zhabu. In the Japanese books he appears as Ganjurbab, that possibily is his name in Mongolian language. However, I never thought that the one in the pic was Prince Ganzhu'er Zhabu! Thank you again!

Vanesa.:)

yoshiko kawashima

Yoshiko Kawashima is the Japanese name of Jin Bihui 14th daughter of manchu prince Su.Adopted by Naniwa Kawashima.So she is a Manchu and not Japanese.As she could not prove by papers that she was adopted she was condemned as Chinese traitor and not Japanese warcriminal.She was shot in Beijing

Thank you, Gino! Yes, I know she was Manchu and not Japanese. I read in an Emperor Pu Yi's biography that she was both, a Chinese and Manchu Princess but that she FELT Japanese by the fact she spent her childhood in Japan, educated by the Kawashima family. It was her who adopted the name "Yoshiko", but of course, her real name was Jin Bihui.

There is a very good historical fiction on her, "The Last Princess of Manchuria" written by Lilian Lee, an author born in Hong Kong. However, this book's end is rather odd: nobody can see Yoshiko dead, and the only people who saw her body, was not able to notice her face. And the author speaks about an old woman in Japan who walks Tokyo streets with a monkey stand on her shoulder. It's supposed to be Yoshiko, escaped by miracle from death penalty, like an Eastern Grand Duchess Anastasia!!! The author did not said it, but it's clearly what you must interprete...I know she didn't got away from death, but do you know if there was some wild story about a supposed Jin Bihui escape? I never read anything about it.

I have a main doubt about Yoshiko Kawashima: Was she SHOT or beheaded? For in some accounts she was beheaded and in others, shot...Uh...I'm getting confused. :eek:

Vanesa.

I have a main doubt about Yoshiko Kawashima: Was she SHOT or beheaded? For in some accounts she was beheaded and in others, shot...Uh...I'm getting confused. :eek:

Vanesa.

From photos I've seen elsewhere she looked rather shot in the head. (I would link, but they're graphic, even if historical.)

Maybe she was shot in the head, since is a common death when you'tre found guilty of treason in China. But I've read she had been beheaded, which was also a common death in China, but at Imperiat times. What a pity you can't post this link! :ohmy:

Vanesa.

I find Kawashima Yoshiko a fascinating figure. I liked the movie about her, read what books I can find, and would love to see the latest Japanese movie but when you don't speak Japanese it can be really hard to find out how to get a copy. I will *try* to put some of the photos of her up here I have gathered.

The first group picture of her and the two men I have to say I don't know who those guys are. One looks like he might be Russian...maybe? The other group photo is Eastern Jewel with leading members of the Japanese Black Dragon Society that was highly involved in the restoration efforts for the last Emperor and the Manchu-Mongol independence movements.

Attachments

• 3281435818_01ee614226_o.jpg
    3281435818_01ee614226_o.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 813
  • Aisin-Gioro_Xianyu.jpg
    Aisin-Gioro_Xianyu.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,024
  • tKi1ure819OjrNG3x%2BXL4MfXzfU%3D_OGJLkUKvk8AP.jpg
    tKi1ure819OjrNG3x%2BXL4MfXzfU%3D_OGJLkUKvk8AP.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2,564
  • yoshikoandblackdragonsocietyleadership.jpg
    yoshikoandblackdragonsocietyleadership.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,740
  • Yoshiko_Kawashima.jpg
    Yoshiko_Kawashima.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4,253
  • yoshiko_marriage.jpg
    yoshiko_marriage.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 6,370
  • yoshikokawashima.jpg
    yoshikokawashima.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4,599
YouTube - The Last Princess

Have you seen this Japanese series on Princess Hiro Saga? I thought it was beautiful myself and I couldn't understand a word of it but knew perfectly what was going on. The story of the romance with her and Prince Pu Chieh was really charming and something not many (in the western world at least) know much about. Even after being forced apart for so many years they went right back together like nothing had happened. That is real marital devotion. :flowers:

Just watching that video clip again makes me wanna cry......I know, I can be such a girl sometimes

Hi,

I'm looking to find out some information on this photo I have. It is signed " To dear Mr. Smith with much love Yoshiko - November 1937". It also has a japanese or chinese signed name on the left. I found the photo behind another photo that was purchased at a swap market. Is she affiliated to any of these posts above? Any help would be great, thanks!
YOSHIKO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom