Zara Phillips Current Events 3: September 2007-June 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bejing Olympics: Injury to Zara Phillips' horse Toytown a mystery - Olympics News - Telegraph

It's a shame that she has to pull out again. Bad luck. On the other hand, it does happen to athletes and the horse must be counted in as an athlete too. Riders don't have the usual problem of getting too old, the older the better, so there might be more chances for Zara to come. The horses are usually older too, from 8 years of age up to 15, because it takes so long to train them etc.
Maybe she'll make use of the spare time and get engaged to MT (who's busy with Rugby I believe).

Yes, but still, being an Olympian is a HUGE feat! Not many even get to qualify! I really wanted her to go!

I think it is only fitting that she does not go. She is the granddaughter of the queen of the Uk and she should not compete in a country which ursurped another kingdom. People tend to forget that the Dalai Lama of Tibet is not only a religious leader but the exiled "god-king" of the kingdom of Tibet. Thus IMHO all Royals should boycott the Peking Olympics, not go there as visitors and of course not compete.

Last edited:
Skydragon, there has been no coverage in the US as to the nature of the injury to Toytown. Has anything been released in England? Specifically, is it a second injury to the suspensory which sidelined him last time? Also, do you know how old he is?
It appears it is a soft tissue injury that is unlikely to heal in time and after consultation with the team vets, Zara decided to withdraw.

He is, I believe, 15 years old!

Zara Phillips misses Olympics again as Toytown is forced to retire through injury - Olympics News - Telegraph

Zara Phillips' dream of adding the Olympic gold medal to her eventing world championship is over. Her horse, Toytown, has suffered an injury in training and the pair have withdrawn from the Beijing Games

Toytown injury puts Zara out of UK's equestrian Olympic team

Royal blow for Britain and Zara as Toytown forced out of Olypics| Sport | This is London

Zara Phillips will not compete in Beijing Olympics after horse Toytown is injured | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Last edited:
He is, I believe, 15 years old!

He's already 17.
Toytown (horse) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you have an exceptional horse it will be able to compete even longer but I doubt he can do London 2012 with 21, that's really old. Usually they are dead by 30 and that's already methusalem age. We must not forget that horses competing in sport are very well looked after, even in retirement, therefore they often make it into their late 20ies.

This is really shocking news & very sad. I was really looking forward to seeing Zara at the olympics. I wonder what happened to toy town. I di recall him being injured a while back but was recovered unless not fully. Zara has a few other horses not as good as toytown but good ones.
It also interesting to know that there is no spare horse to ride if one gets injured. I dont know about the rules but cant Zara join with another horse?

He's already 17.
Toytown (horse) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you have an exceptional horse it will be able to compete even longer but I doubt he can do London 2012 with 21, that's really old. Usually they are dead by 30 and that's already methusalem age
I'm afraid Wiki is not always correct and the consensus within the media is that he is 15. This from the article you posted, the others are much the same.
but as he will be 19 years old in 2012,
21 is not IME 'really old', I have two that still compete, although not at Olympic level, that are 25 years old and two methuselah's at 33 & 35, that someone forgot to tell they are old.

Last edited:
Well that just sucks. I'm really bummed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What sad news for Zara once again. I was hoping that she would be able to compete but, her and Toytown are a team. Very upsetting news.

Russo, you put it perfectly. It sucks indeed. I would have to say that if Toytown is (at least) 15, with a second soft tissue lesion/tear/rupture, the chances of him returning to the level of competition which he had previously dominated is extremly unlikely. At the very least it will be 6 months on stall rest and 6 months coming back into work and then we'll see when he's 16. I am sorry, but there is no chance that he will be there in 2012 at the olympics. Perhaps Zara with another horse. What a shame.

Yesterday, when I took my dog to the vet's, we discussed this. Our vet is a reknowned Australian equestrienne, and daughter of one of Australia's Olympic Gold Medallists.

It's one of the very wholesome things about the horse fraternity. Suzanne, our vet, was utterly devastated that Zara was out of competition due to Toytown's injury.

I remember when, at Barcelona in 1992, the Princess Royal presented the gold medals to Australia's Olympic team with such generosity and admiration, that she displayed the true spirit of the Games. Not too many countries or representatives do these days, i.e., wish and hope for the very best to advance their own particular sports, irrespective of nationality. The Princess Royal congratulated the Australians with such distinction, using all of their first names. Such a lovely, and most courteous touch.

Still, it's very hard luck for Zara. Hopefully, we'll see this most accomplished athlete again, with, presumably, another horse as good as her Toytown.

Pics 14.6.2008

Zara Phillips returns to competition at the Burgie
International Horse Trials, Scotland, Britain - 14 Jun 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Thank you for the pictures iceflower. Zara is such a trooper. :flowers:

Thanks for your pics Iceflower. It's nice to see that even though Zara won't be able to go to the olympics she's still is managing to smile.

Today was a very dull overcast and very cold Sydney day. Christchurch in New Zealand would be even colder.

I do hope Zara drops into Sydney on her way home.

I do wish she would come back and stay.

Last edited:
Zara is in New Zealand now, arriving in the middle of a scandal:

New Zealand, world, sport, business & entertainment news on Stuff.co.nz

There is no suggestion that Mike Tindall is one of the 4 players (2 "in action" with a girl, the other 2 only watching) in question and he better isn't because this would be REALLY big and a scandal that would feed the english tabloids for weeks I guess.

Press said:
Phillips, the Queen's granddaughter, has jetted into New Zealand to support the England rugby team.
cam.gif
Watch video
Now you know why she was missing from Ladies Day. :ermm:
Press said:
Phillips, whose boyfriend Mike Tindall plays centre for England, had lunch today at a restaurant on Christchurch's The Strip with a group of friends.
"I have been here a couple of times before, it's no big deal," she said.
"Obviously I'm here to watch the rugby."
She told The Press she was in town for the rugby on Saturday night, but objected to being filmed or photographed while eating.
"Do you do this to normal people?'' she asked.

Zara was in fine fettle and pleased to see she got up, crossed the road, an gave The Press what-for. Even better that they not only apologised but slunk off into the ether. :lol:

And yes, Arncliffe, it is cold here in Christchurch. -7 windchill yesterday morning. Damned cold! In short, excellent weather for a Lions V All Blacks test match. :D

Stand in Black! :nzflag:

Time for a new thread.

Zara Phillips current events 7 can be found here

¤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom