Zara Phillips Current Events 2: May 2006-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that when PssA was in the olympics QE, DoE, PC, PA, and PE all went, but I think it was Canada. China is obviously a different kettle of fish...but if my granddaughter was going to represent our country in the olympics , I'd be dead before I wasn't there to cheer her on!:flowers:

Yes they did all go although Prince Edward wasn't supposed to but the story, as I remember it, that when Charles flew out Edward insisted on coming along to see his sister compete and Charles agreed.

We have never heard what the Queen's reaction was to her youngest son's behaviour on that one (nor, IMHO should we by the way).

The Olympics were in Canada - 1976. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were guests at the official ceremonies celebrating the 200th anniversary of the Americans Independence. Andrew joined them, I think for the first time, but I can't remember whether he was there for the American celebrations or only for the trip to Canada. Andrew also stayed for awhile and went to school there (or then returned to go to school - it was over 30 years ago!!!).

Charles, of course, couldn't fly out with the Queen as the law forbids him from flying with either the Queen, or since he was 12, Prince William, although an exception was made whent the Queen Mother died.

The real issue with the Queen going is two-fold - one as a Head of State she has to be asked and her own government has to give its position - that may happen but....

we also have to consider her age and that of her husband and the obvious support her visit would give the human rights abuses going on their - one visit in her reign is enough in my opinion until, or unless, they raise their game on human rights.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that when PssA was in the olympics QE, DoE, PC, PA, and PE all went, but I think it was Canada. China is obviously a different kettle of fish...but if my granddaughter was going to represent our country in the olympics , I'd be dead before I wasn't there to cheer her on!:flowers:

Erm - electrons aren't expensive, you know. Writing out the names doesn't cost any more, and it's a lot easier to read. Spare a thought for the non-native-English-speaking posters who might not understand posts written in code.;)

Erm - electrons aren't expensive, you know. Writing out the names doesn't cost any more, and it's a lot easier to read. Spare a thought for the non-native-English-speaking posters who might not understand posts written in code.;)
Sorry, Elspeth! My fingers couldnt keep up with the train of thought! I shall type slower!:flowers:

I dont remember Queen Elizabeth ever visiting China. Did I miss it? Also, I think the trip to China from England is about the same as the trip to Australia, isnt it?

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh toured China from the 12th to 18th October, 1986.

This was the tour where the Duke got into trouble for his 'slitty eyes' comment.

The flight to China is about 14 hours. To Australia that is only the first leg of the flight. Then we have another 7 hour flight.

However, long overseas tours are things that she has been cutting back recently. Remember she is 81 and will be 82 next year.

I am sure that you would go and see your grandchild compete but your visit is not a State matter, which hers would be. There would be all sorts of considerations that would need to be put into place. These would have to be done long before the announcement of the team and what a let down that would be for her to make all the diplomatic arrangements etc and then find that Zara isn't in the team. She wouldn't then be able to pull out and decide not to go as that would be seen as an insult to the Chinese.

Unfortunately for the Queen everything she does has implications far and away from being an ordinary mother and grandmother - remember all the people baying for her blood in 1997 when she was acting as a grandmother to her two distraught grandsons when their mother died but the people expected her to stop being a grandmother and come and comfort them.

This is similar - her government would have to approve her going and then the Chinese would have to invite her and approve and then all the security etc. That is why I doubt that she would go - but I am sure that she would love to. Hopefully Zara will also make the team in 2012 and then The Queen can go as those games are in London and the Queen will be there as she will be opening them.

The Daily Mail has turned its uglier side against Zara. They are giving her the treatment once reserved for their "Duchess of Pork" and the "Princess Lumpy Legs" (Diana, when a tabloid poked fun at her cellulite).
Zara Phillips shows off her fuller figure as she prepares to defend European title | the Daily Mail

Imo, Zara has always had what you might call "love handles" around her stomach, hips, etc. She will also probably have to work extra hard against knee injury, as I can see in these pics she has the Windsor notorious bad knees. Nevertheless, I imagine she has a healthy body image, and if she has a moment of being hurt by this article, she has plenty of practical allies around her to tell her the Daily Mail is just publishing more of their standard trash. God forbid they would ever be too nice about anyone in the royal family. Puff them up and spit them out, seems to be their cycle.

Last edited:
Looking good.

Zara and Toytown are on 3rd after dressage.

Eventing European 2007 > HOME PAGE

She's just completed the cross country section and is now in the lead, just ahead of Bettina Hoy. Zara had a cracking round, Toytown was fresh to the last, we had one heart stopping moment where he pecked on a fence but, when interviewed afterwards, Zara stated he stood on one of his over-reach boots.

They had an excellent round !!

The Daily Mail has turned its uglier side against Zara. They are giving her the treatment once reserved for their "Duchess of Pork" and the "Princess Lumpy Legs" (Diana, when a tabloid poked fun at her cellulite).
Zara Phillips shows off her fuller figure as she prepares to defend European title | the Daily Mail

Imo, Zara has always had what you might call "love handles" around her stomach, hips, etc. She will also probably have to work extra hard against knee injury, as I can see in these pics she has the Windsor notorious bad knees. Nevertheless, I imagine she has a healthy body image, and if she has a moment of being hurt by this article, she has plenty of practical allies around her to tell her the Daily Mail is just publishing more of their standard trash. God forbid they would ever be too nice about anyone in the royal family. Puff them up and spit them out, seems to be their cycle.

I shouldn't imagine she gives a hoot tbh, but you're right, it never ceases to amaze me how rude the papers can be, the dig was as much about her choice of clothing as her shape.

Zara has the figure of a lady content with life, she's obviously very fit due to the amount of horses she works, it's fitness that counts in the horse world not body shape!

White and beige aren't flattering colours anyway, unless you've got a glowing tan, if she'd worn all black it might have had a different effect. But, the fact is Zara dresses for comfort and doesn't appear to care about the catty comments the papers sometimes delight in.

Nicolas Touzaint has just pipped Zara to take the lead at this stage, he had an awesome round with his horse just eating up the ground in between fences.

Team Great Britain are in the lead with 64.1 points, just the showjumping to get through tomorrow.

I shouldn't imagine she gives a hoot tbh

True. I don't think she cares.... much! It still must be a little hurtful. I mean, she is strong but still human, and anyone, especially a woman (only because women are so much more judged, in general, about their looks), would be hurt by these kinds of comments. Zara is lucky to have a solidly good self-esteem and lots of strong-minded people as friends and family, but all the same, these things are cruel and hurtful. :ermm:

Pics 15.9.2007

Zara Phillips rides on her horse Toytown during the cross country stage
of the European Equestrian Championship in Pratoni del Vivaro, south
of Rome and embraces her rival in the competition German Bettina Hoy,
15 Sep 2007. TIZIANA FABI/AFP/Getty Images

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

So the same top three today for cross country as for dressage yesterday, though in different order. Because Zara was 3rd for dressage and 2nd for cc, does she lose her European title? Or do the results for tomorrow determine who is the champ?

The results of the showjumping phase tomorrow will determine who is the winner,so she can still retain her title ( hopefully! )

So the same top three today for cross country as for dressage yesterday, though in different order. Because Zara was 3rd for dressage and 2nd for cc, does she lose her European title? Or do the results for tomorrow determine who is the champ?

The points for the dressage and cross country, carry over to tomorrow for the showjumping phase. Depending on your position on the leader board, riders are allowed a certain number of showjumps knocked down or in hand, to still retain the lead/win the title. For example the leader Nicolas Touzaint could afford to say,have one jump down, and still not be beaten by Zara or Bettina even if they both jump clear - depending on how they've performed and the points accumulated so far.

FINGERS CROSSED FOR ZARA TOMORROW !!!

I answered your clothing/top hat query on the Princess Anne thread you asked it on :flowers:

What a funny girl.... :D I love how the Daily Mail captions the pic of her drinking her beer, slowly and normally, yet they call it "party girl....swigging the beer". :rolleyes: They so want their "royal rebel" back, hehe.

France's Nicolas Touzaint and Galan de Sauvagere posted a perfect cross country, holding a score of 29.4. Zara and Toytown are 2.8 behind in 2nd with 32.6, followed by Bettina Hoy and Cockatoo with 38.3

It's surprising she did so well in cc and not so well in show jumping. Cross country seems so much harder to my uninformed eyes. :eek:

Zara is always better at cross country than at showjumping and dislikes sj.
It's such a pity,she really deserved a medal.
She must be gutted...The team got the gold though

What a great shame, after such a good performance on the cross country course too, plus Toytown behaved himself during dressage, which he is not always apt to do. :neutral:

After thundering round the cross country, the showjumps can seem very flimsy and easily knocked if your horse isn't careful and a clean jumper or has just had enough by this stage. It's so crucial but then exactly why eventing is so exciting, no one person ever has it in the bag.

Gold for Team GB is excellent news though :D

During her brief TV interview yesterday, Zara was asked how Mum and Dad would react to her efforts so far, Zara laughed and said "no doubt they'll be pleased but will point out all my mistakes and how I could have done better". With both parents having been in the same position she takes it in good stead, knowing they just want the best for her performance.

Last edited:
Pics 16.9.2007

Zara Phillips smiles after the prize ceremony at the European Equestrian
Championships 2007 in the Pratoni Del Vivaro, south of Rome, 16 Sep
2007. AFP PHOTO/ TIZIANA FAB/Getty Images

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4

Iceflower thank you for those photo's, it's good to see her smiling afterwards after all they still won gold for the team.

I bet she's kicking herself over the showjumping and will relive the approach to that fence in her dreams, not to mention the chastisement she'll get from Anne and Mark :ohmy: but it's no worse than the hard time she'll give herself. They announced on the television that she was upset directly after the round, in tears in fact but, that's the way it goes in the horse world !

She'll be back to fight another day !

It's surprising she did so well in cc and not so well in show jumping. Cross country seems so much harder to my uninformed eyes. :eek:
Not so much harder, but different. In the CC you need a really bold galloping horse who will jump what we call 'the naturals' ie bank, drop, dry ditch, water jump. The SJ require precision, speed, turning ability, and above all carefulness. You can get away with touching the jumps on the CC, because they are wired into place, but in the SJ if you rub a rail, it's on break away cups and will fall, incurring faults. Each aspect is difficult, but for different reasons, if that makes sense.:flowers:

Zara deserves a good job for her hard work, although she came in sixth she helped Great Britain bring back the gold. Good job Zara.

Cross Country always seems so much easier to me, although we, (the horses and I), don't do as much now as we used to. :flowers:

Still a good job though and congratulations to Zara and the rest of the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom