Zara Phillips Current Events 2: May 2006-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
I think that people who are not into showjumping don't understand regardless of what country they're from. Some of the British commentators in the papers are making less than informed comments. I never showjumped but my riding teacher did and I admired her dedication and skill.

Showjumping, Cross Country, Three Day Eventing and Hunter Trials are considered by British insurers as 'extreme sports' and not all of them offer insurance. They are all great fun and hard work, IMO!
You should take it up ysbel, you would probably enjoy it! :flowers:

Mike Tindall and Zara Phillips arrive at Achievers Reception hosted by Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Buckingham Palace December 19, 2006 in London. (Photo by MJ Kim/Getty Images)
Pic 1

Phillips First Senior Royal on New Year's Honour List
Princess Phillips in New Year's Hounours List

Zara Phillips will crown a golden year by becoming the first senior member of the royal family to receive an award in the New Year's Honours list. The Guardian understands that Phillips, who is 11th in line to the throne, was nominated after her gold medal-winning performance in the three-day event at the World Equestrian Games this year and that an honour has been approved and accepted.
The highly unusual award caps a remarkable year in which Phillips, 25, won both the World and European championships and defied most predictions to capture the BBC Sports Personality of the Year prize.
I simply love how the second article made Zara Princess Phillips! :lol: :ROFLMAO:

Here are three more nice pics of Zara at the BGC Long Walk Hurdle Race run at Ascot Racecourse on December 16, 2006:
Zara 1
Zara 2
Zara 3

What is the addresse to send Zara a letter or card?

Thank you

I know alot of people have made fun of Princess Anne's appearance but I think she is lovely. Very natural. What you see is what she is, no make up or stylists.

Well, I haven't made fun of her, but I think she's very much overdue for a makeover. Her hair in particular is frankly unflattering and ageing as is her makeup. Her figure, however, is excellent for a 56 year old lady. She is a no-nonsense woman, but she does represent the Queen and the royal family, so she should put a little time into how she looks.

Zara Phillips Current Events 5: December 2006-September 2007

Welcome to the Part 5 of
the Current Events of Zara Phillips

Part 4 can be found here

Before posting, please remember:
  • This thread is for Current Events only
  • Only pictures you have written permission to post, can be shared here
  • No watermarked pictures can be posted here
  • You are free to agree or disagree but remember to stay civil
Enjoy posting! :flowers:

Last edited:
Closed thread

Time to close this thread.
The new thread for the Current Events of Zara Phillips can be found here.

Thanks to everyone, who contributed! :flowers:

It's just been announced that Zara's got an MBE. Well done Zara!

BeatrixFan said:
It's just been announced that Zara's got an MBE. Well done Zara!
Congratulations to Zara! :flowers:

Rod and Zara top New Year Honours

Singer Rod Stewart and equestrian gold medallist Zara Phillips are among those recognised in the New Year Honours.
The Queen's granddaughter and world champion is made an MBE and becomes the most senior royal to make a list, while Stewart's CBE is for services to music.

Congratulations to Zara on receiving her MBE. What a wonderful way for her to end 2006 with such an honour.

kelly1972 said:
Congratulations to Zara on receiving her MBE. What a wonderful way for her to end 2006 with such an honour.
It's interesting, isn't it that her mother didn't want the ennoblement for her husband because she wanted her children to grow up as normal as possible. Now the daughter has started to climb the social ladder by herself and maybe one day we will see her enobled as Dame Zara Philipps, not because she is the granddaughter of a souverain but because for services rendered to her courntry.

BTW, could the queen create Zara a Dame Commander of the Royal Victorian Order? AFAIK she does not need the okay by the prime minister to do that?

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
... maybe one day we will see her enobled as Dame Zara Philipps

IIRC, the nobility consists only of dukes and duchesses, marquises and marchionesses, earls and countesses, viscounts and viscountesses, and barons and baronesses but not knights or dames or baronets.

Thats right. Being a Dame doesn't make you a 'noble'. Zara could be made a DCVO by the Queen without asking the PM. In reality, she could make her anything without asking the PM as Zara is a member of the Royal Family even if she hasn't got a title. The Queen is quite generous to her own family and a civil servant once said when asked why, "Well, the Queen is Fount of Honour and it's only natural that those closest to the fount get splashed most".

An MBE really goes automatically to the winner of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year as it's a big thing to win but apparantly there were lots of nominations for Zara to get something from the public.

Can someone help me out with the difference of the Honours. How does a MBE differ from a CBE? Title...rank?Are they given twice a year?

The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is awarded in;

GBE (Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross)
KBE or DBE (Knight Commander or Dame Commander)
Commander (CBE)
Officer (OBE)
Member (MBE)

Those with a GBE or a KBE/DBE can call themselves Sir or Dame whereas the others just attach the post-nominals to their names. For example, Sir Norman Wisdom is a KBE whilst Penelope Keith is a CBE. The Order of the British Empire is the most junior order of chivalry in Britain. Generally, they are given (with other Honours) in the Queen's Birthday Honours List and the New Years Honours List but they can be awarded at any time. When the honour is announced, the people who have recieved them can use their post-nominals/titles but they don't get their insignia until some time later in the year when they go to Buckingham Palace to get the medal etc from the Queen or the Prince of Wales.

So really, Zara has the most junior ranking honour in the most junior ranking order.

Thanks BeatrixFan. I could never understand why some were Dames, Sir and/or Lady's.

In refrence to Zara, would it have been too much of stretch to make her a KBE/DBE. Basically...are people moved up the ranks per se with the Honours? Does that make sense?

Well, they've had to play this one carefully. Already, the ill-informed are claiming nepotism. Damehoods are reserved for years of service or a huge outstanding achievement. Kelly Holmes for example won quite a few gold medals etc and so she got a Damehood which is quite rare for someone of her age to get. Penelope Keith has been acting for years and is pretty much a national treasure and would be more likely to get a Damehood than Zara. I'm sure Zara's will be upgraded in years to come if she keeps winning these sorts of prizes.

Basically, yes, you do move up in the Honours system. Penelope Keith got her OBE in 1989. That was for her services to acting. Her upgrade to CBE was for services to charity. So it's not just because you've won one thing or had one hit series - it's very much a life of service in different fields.

Here's the insignia that Zara will get from her Grannie or Uncle Charles;

http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/images/uk553.jpg

She'll also be entitled to wear the new buttonhole badge;

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42398000/jpg/_42398717_badge_pa.jpg

Last edited:
There is a reasonable write up about the medals here, it gives details, history and title entitlement. :flowers:

Congratulations to Zara.

:clap:

Thanks for the explanation BeatrixFan, I was starting to find it all a bit confusing. Is this the same honour that Mike Tindall received in 2003? And could anyone tell me when Zara will be receiving her MBE at Buckingham Palace? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom