York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... I just hope Andrew is smart enough not to take front seat on that hi-speed train wreck known as Sarah again. Just my thoughts !
Andrew has never struck me as being particularly intelligent, so I'm not sure he is smart enough. And he can't be that great a catch as he was quite single for years (when Sarah was in New York/dating others, etc.) and he did not remarry.
So the York clan is off on holiday again - skiing, India (twice?) the French Riveira, Venice and now Spain. Can't recall if they were in Africa for the Branson wedding or just attended the UK midsummer night's dream themed reception. They do seem to go in for themed parties.
Wonder if Eugenie is still moving to New York this fall.
The article referenced above seemed very pro Sarah - they chose a flattering photo of her, excused her affair w/ Wyat as being caused by Andrew's long military absences, etc..
It seems quite similar to the rework of perception we saw w/ Camilla pre marriage. It'll be interesting to watch. I'm still leaning towards the Beatrice is engaged angle rather than the rekindled romance of her parents as the reason for the Balmoral visit by Sarah.

James Whitaker, that legendary Daily Mirror Royal correspondent who Diana dubbed 'the bright red tomato', once described Prince Andrew as "a buffoon" and Fergie as "a girl who couldn't believe her luck".

This Spanish holiday is just more fuel for the fire. And I agree that the article explaining it is pro-Fergie and is reminiscent of how the depiction of Camilla changed in the roll up to the engagement and eventual marriage to Charles.

We shall see! I think it'd be smashing.

Some recent posts in this thread have reminded me of the heartwarming episodes of The Vicar of Dibley at the time Hugo and Alice were getting engaged. At one point David is lamenting the fact that Hugo - his only son and heir - wants to marry Alice Tinker of all people. David has just described her as a cactus. Geraldine says words to the effect, "Alice may have the wit and intelligence of a cactus, but Hugo is "cactus-man.""

I have a feeling that Andrew, despite for all his Royal blood, is cactus-man to Sarah's cactus-woman, i.e. perfect for each other.

Last edited:
I'm still leaning towards the Beatrice is engaged angle rather than the rekindled romance of her parents as the reason for the Balmoral visit by Sarah.

I don't know if there was a particular reason for the Balmoral visit, but I was thinking Beatrice was engaged, too, up until now. Now I'm not sure. I don't actually think Andrew and Sarah are going to remarry any time soon, but wouldn't there be rumours about Beatrice instead, if she really were engaged?

The obvious reason for the trip was Beatrice's birthday as the visit was the weekend immediately after her 25th birthday. I see no reason to assume it was any more than than at this stage.

While on this overseas trip he had engagements on:

17th - 20th September, 23rd and 24th September, 30th September to 3rd October.

On the 'days off' he was moving from one country to another among other things.

I suppose he could have flown home and then back out - but the schedule was rather tight for that - certainly between the 20th and 23rd September when he would have been home for one day.

That the schedule of visits allowed him nearly a week off at one point. I find it interesting that one thing that is normal with overseas tours is that the CC says when they left a country and when they arrived at the next - that isn't the case here with him being in Vietnam and then in Japan and nothing about officially leaving Vietnam or arriving in Japan. However it did record when he left the UK, arrived in Indonesia, arrived in Vietnam but not when he left Indonesia.

Obviously had had some 'down time' and whether he has that at home or away his security will be with him. Who should pay for the security when the royals are on their own time away from home is a question that raises its head every so often but it seems as if this article is a 'bash Andrew' article because he didn't say what he was doing between visiting Indonesia and Vietnam and what he did after leaving Vietnam before going to Japan.

Another criticism this article makes is that Andrew's engagements aren't in the FE section of the British monarchy website - nor are Charles and Camilla (according to that Charles has 0 engagements in October, Camilla 2 and Harry 0). Harry is currently on Sydney Harbour reviewing the fleet with the GG - but the FE doesn't regard that as important enough to mention. The PoW website says the same thing - 2 for Camilla and 0 for Charles.

Sure there will be questions asked about the timing that allowed him to be in NY when Eugenie arrived there - but that could have been planned knowing his schedule more than hers.

Last edited:
They seem more upset that Andrew refuses to let people know beforehand like everyone else. Overseas trips are usually big things and prepared months in advance the fact Andrew never let's anyone know until after makes it look a little shady to some. Also Andrew continues to have holidays connected to his engagements this is what got him in trouble before. Most of this trip was covered by a private company but are they paying for his security and valet etc? The more Andrew continues to do these public engagements/holiday/private company visits the more they will talk about it.

The royals security is always paid for by the British government as they are British cops - just as the British government are paying for Harry's security team here this weekend.

I think they would have been up in arms had he returned to the UK between the visits to the different countries with the airfares costs as well.

The Queen could easily insist that his engagements are on the FE but that doesn't seem to worry anyone when it relates to any other royals e.g. Harry or Charles even - who seems to have no engagements for the next 3 months.

The fact that the British press didn't know in advance is all that they are upset about so instead of getting a nice trip to the Far East themselves they make a big deal about the fact that he didn't tell them in advance.

LOL You know what that is probably it. None of the press got to go on a cool junket and they are mad about it.

Didn't Harry add on some free time in Africa after his last visit there He has security too. It is unreasonable to say that people cannot travel because they have security.

Didn't Harry add on some free time in Africa after his last visit there He has security too. It is unreasonable to say that people cannot travel because they have security.

I do remember it being said that he had some private business that he was going to be taking care of. I think it was a private meeting for Sentebale but my memory just ain't what it used to be.

Harry, along with all the other royals, have protection 24/7 no matter if they are walking down the road to McD's or flying half way around the world. Its a fact of life being royal.

Further to Iluvbertie's post #1170, DoY also carried 4 engagements on 4th October - courtesy of CC, here they are:

Buckingham Palace
4th October, 2013
The Duke of York today carried out the following engagements in New York City, the United States of America.
His Royal Highness this morning visited the United Nations Development Programme at One United Nations Plaza.
The Duke of York afterwards attended a Luncheon at McGraw-Hill Financial Headquarters.
His Royal Highness this evening attended the Soldiers’, Sailors’, Marines’, Coast Guard and Airmen’s Club Reception and Awards Ceremony at the Pierre New York.
The Duke of York afterwards attended a Royal United Services Institute Dinner at the Council on Foreign Relations.

The reports by the Telegraph and Mail (same thing really) are the usual anti-Andrew rant but the issue raised by some psoters about lack of advance information is valid. Richard Palmer's article in the Express is balanced and offers good advice.

I found it interesting that courtiers say that Andrew's office is badly run. Who's courtiers??

Thanks for those engagements. They will be in my count next week of course as I only go to Thursday each week due to my access to the CC being behind those in London e.g. I won't get access to the full CC for the 4th, 5th and 6th until the 8th here in Sydney due to the time difference and the days that they update the monarchy website in the UK.

I stumbled across this article online. It's a great piece on Prince Andrew's charity project, "Key to Freedom." The whole family, including Sarah and the girls, contributed: Girls fight fate & keep the faith

Last edited:
How about this for a rare/great photo! HM The Queen, HRH Princess Beatrice of York and Sarah, Duchess of York.
tumblr_mx3n7bWn351s0grcyo1_500.jpg

How about this for a rare/great photo! HM The Queen, HRH Princess Beatrice of York and Sarah, Duchess of York.
tumblr_mx3n7bWn351s0grcyo1_500.jpg

Looks like Beatrice has gotten her hand into Granny's hair. :D

What a lovely charming find this is!! Thanks for sharing it w/us.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The article says it's Eugenie in that photo, not Beatrice. But it's adorable!

Won't they attend the Christmas lunch at BP this week?

Beatrice was there, Eugenie wasn't. She must have flown straight back. Risky.

^ Risky how? And who are we remembering?

^ Risky how? And who are we remembering?

I'm just thinking of the looks of thinks, Eugenie went home to the UK for a charity auction, then flew back to NY and Beatrice flew to NY and back for a charity ball. We don't know how the flew, I imagine on a passenger plane but the quick trips for little events could look bad. Especially with "airmiles" Andy as their father.

Who are we remembering when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom