York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they've both done a fantastic job on behalf of he country. I was interested to hear Beatrice's speech - I've heard interviews with her, but that's the first time I heard her Speak on a public occasion like that. She did well. Lots of nice photos of the event, they both looked lovely, and great publicity for the UK. I'd love to see them get more involved in Royal work - they are still only young, but they are already proving that they can be very good at it!
Congratulations to them both!

William may not be the next in line, but he is senior to all other royals in the succession except his father. Why is ok for other, older royals who are past retirement age to continue to carry a heavy workload when he is available to help out. William does seem to be hiding out in Wales and continues to use the RAF as an excuse, sometimes when he has clearly been on holidays instead of carrying out royal duties. (E.g. France instead of Paralympics)

The Queen does not pay for William, Harry and Kate. Princes Charles does from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Kate and William would have been appropriate for this engagement too, but they don't seem interested in doing anything other than a bare minimum. The other available royals probably already have full calenders and as much as I love Anne, I don't think people would have taken her seriously at a engagement promoting fashion after she has said herself that she doesn't follow it at all.

Why people think Beatrice and Eugenie should be fulltime working members of the RF is a little puzzling. What about Peter and Zara they don't have titles but they have the same Grandmother? The public seem to be telling the RF they want it cut down the Queen and Prince Phillip are now the only 2 on the civil list. The Queen pays for everyone else carrying out their duties why on earth would she want to add another two?

Peter and Zara don't have titles, they have no connection to royal life except their grandmother is The Queen.
The public aren't saying anything about the Civil List and as of 1992 there has only been 2 people on the civil list. You do realise that the money Andrew used to pay for the girls airfare most likely came from money given by his mother, yes? All royal children and grandchildren have money from QEII and TQM.

It's also not fair if they are working on careers to stop to do an engagement that takes time away from their real job. It isn't fair on them or the people working with them.

William and Henry do that all the time, they use their annual leave to go on holiday as participate in royal engagements. If Beatrice wishes to use her holiday hours to engagements on behalf of GB, then that's her choice.

I read in a German paper that the organisators of the tour approached the British ambassador to Germany and asked if one of the younger Royals could join in. The ambassador contacted Nr. 10 and they asked Buckingham Palace and were told that the princesses would like to come. The organisators were very happy with that answer and it was agreed upon that their father should pay for the costs of travelling (probably being reimbursed by the queen) and thatthe rest of the costs should be met from German sources.

So my impression was that the girls can be invited via official channels if someone believes their presence would help representing Britain in a positive way. I could imagine that for the government this is a test and if they pass it, there are more opportunities to send the girls abroad, as surely they are up to the task.

:previous:

Next time they should take an advice from their grandmother and wear brillant colours. As guests of honour they are suppossed to be at center stage and one should see them there.

William may not be the next in line, but he is senior to all other royals in the succession except his father. Why is ok for other, older royals who are past retirement age to continue to carry a heavy workload when he is available to help out. William does seem to be hiding out in Wales and continues to use the RAF as an excuse, sometimes when he has clearly been on holidays instead of carrying out royal duties. (E.g. France instead of Paralympics)

The Queen does not pay for William, Harry and Kate. Princes Charles does from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Kate and William would have been appropriate for this engagement too, but they don't seem interested in doing anything other than a bare minimum. The other available royals probably already have full calenders and as much as I love Anne, I don't think people would have taken her seriously at a engagement promoting fashion after she has said herself that she doesn't follow it at all.

He is not hiding in Wales - he is on duty - he is a full-time SAR pilot. Whether it is popular or not, that is the deal. The job involves complex shift patterns which means that he gets 3-4 days off duty and he generally uses these for part-time royal duties.

If the Queen didn't like what William was doing, she would step in and change it.

I'd like to see them about more but I paid attention when the ground rules were set - they are still in place and criticising William for doing what he said he was going to do is patently unfair.

Apologies for going off topic.

Next time they should take an advice from their grandmother and wear brillant colours. As guests of honour they are suppossed to be at center stage and one should see them there.

I'd rather be warm than "bright". :flowers:

On german tv they showed a little clip and Eugenie was talking a bit german.
GREAT!!!
:)

;) You're expecting way too much of the DM, if you think there was any possibility of their correctly identifying the Mayor of Hannover. They managed to correctly identify Beatrice and Eugenie, which is something of an achievement for the DM.

Since we're talking about the Yorks representing the UK abroad, I hope overseas readers of the DM don't think that it is a good example of the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the British people.

cepe said:
He is not hiding in Wales - he is on duty - he is a full-time SAR pilot. Whether it is popular or not, that is the deal. The job involves complex shift patterns which means that he gets 3-4 days off duty and he generally uses these for part-time royal duties.

If the Queen didn't like what William was doing, she would step in and change it.

I'd like to see them about more but I paid attention when the ground rules were set - they are still in place and criticising William for doing what he said he was going to do is patently unfair.

cepe, thank you as always for being the voice of sanity in this thread. The way people go on about William 'hiding' in Wales, you'd think he was sitting on his rear end munching on Wotsits. In reality, he's working 24-hr shifts to save the lives of ordinary members of the British public, putting his own life at risk in doing so.

As you point out, William and Catherine, along with CH and BP, were upfront when the engagement was announced that they would not be full-time royals for at least the first couple of years of their marriage. They've done exactly as they said they'd do (while also getting to work creating another future monarch). Anyone who thinks that the Queen and DoE are going to seriously slow down when William gives up the RAF is kidding themselves. These two will keep going until they're not physically able to. Like in 2012, we'll see fewer overseas trips, but they made life-long commitments and are fulfilling them.

:blush: That's kind of you EIIR. To me, the DM epitomises the definition of a cynic - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I think the York sisters did a good job - I liked the way they shared the limelight, spoke some german (haven't seen any of that in the Uk) and just got on with it in a positive way.

I dislike intensely the way they are hounded and the fact that appear so grounded and unassuming is a credit to them and their upbringing.

I totally agree on the DM, cepe. They go for the lowest common denominator every time, hoping to make people angry about immigrants, criminals, politicians and anyone who is in receipt of public money. The only thing missing from their article was how much the Mayor of Hannover's house is worth - an oversight on their part. :rolleyes:

I think the York girls did very well in Germany. I have no problem whatsoever with their undertaking occasional visits like this. We have to strike while the iron is hot and the international press are so interested in our young royals. Compare the press coverage Harry got in Brazil to that of several older European royal couples who visited after him last year, it was like night and day.

Oh, and if they're there at the request of HM Government, then HMG should be covering their expenses for the trip. Surely that's only fair.

The Mayor is wearing the chain of office. I got giddy for a minute there and thought he was wearing the collar of some royal order. Buy no, it is the Amtskette for Hanover. I learned something new! :lol:

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie's 'Grand Tour' will benefit them more than UK plc - Telegraph

A couple of right little princesses - Telegraph

I don't think these girls deserve this. They were invited to come, came, were happily received and did a great job in representing the UK's tradition and modern flair. And what do they get? Articles even from the Telegraph (!) telling them that they are not wanted in that role - when nobody asked the Telegraph and all others were very happy with the outcome.

That is so tasteless, bad style and self-destructing when it comes to them being part of Britain. These nice and good-looking girls had quite the positive coverage in Germany and Britain sells their Royal family as part of their appeal fro tourists. So why not send them abroad?

I do not have a problem or serious dislike for Beatrice or Eugenie, nor as a member of the Commonwealth and of this forum, a gross dislike for the 'Firm' in general. However, having said that, why should I bloody care! As far as I am concerned Charles is right, the whole Family do not need to play an active roll. The vast majority of people know Diana and her boys, the rest are just additions. I like reading about B & E and wish them all the best for their life. I like following their lives, but don't think they should have a working role in the Family, IMO.

With the most sincere respect to our English members, other than the Queen & DoE, PC & C, DoC & DoC and PH I really couldn't care about the rest. I would make every effort to go see the above list if they came to my home town and would be very respective and cheerful.

If we were to draw comparisons, it would be like Prince Joachim of Denmark making an official trip to England for a Danish business expo, who would care? Let's be honest, the average Frau & Mann on the street couldn't give a damm that these two were there.

For all the short comings of the press, they do sometimes get it right........IMO

If we were to draw comparisons, it would be like Prince Joachim of Denmark making an official trip to England for a Danish business expo, who would care? Let's be honest, the average Frau & Mann on the street couldn't give a damm that these two were there.

A lot of people would care. In his country Joachim isn't like the York sisters, he's a very valued member of the DRF. He's brother to the future King, whereas the York girls are neices of the future King in this country. Joachim constantly does engagements in Denmark and abroad, so your comparison makes little sense.

Those articles really were nasty in the extreme and with no justification for it. I really hate that the York princesses get treated so badly by the press through no fault of their own.

Plus one should not forget that it was a very healing visit for the Hanoverans. Not only was Herrenhausen palace destroyed in the war, but 96% of Hanover. A town which was occupied by Prussian troups in 1848, was being rid of their own Royal family and henceforth reigned over by a government seated in Berlin. Governments, which started WWI and WWII - wars in which Hanover deeply suffered - by the troups who fought for the same family which was thrown out in 1948.

And now this Royal family returned in the personages of the Hereditary Prince of Hanover plus two Princesses of the UK to open up the reconstruction of their ancestors' palace. What a kind gesture, very good for the people of Hanover, or so I hear from freinds who live there.

Just wanted to add that it is today known that the bombings and the firestorm which destroyed Hanover was initiated to terrorize the German people into open opposition against the Nazis. But at that time Germany was already so organized in the Nazi terror against their own people these Germans had no chance to do anything except suffering. It was not a just war anymore but terror from two sides. And it's good to see that these gruesome times are not forgotten, but forgiven, on both sides.

Last edited:
The media always picks-on the "next" in line type of folks -- you know, Andy was too Randy, Harry drinks too much, the York sisters are moochers just like their mother ... all the while William is a saint. I'm not saying that William isn't a nice young man, but give me a break. The others are probably just as nice and the media in Britain are just nasty, nasty!

^ You must have miss the numerous articles where William is selfish, stubborn, old, and not fun like his brother Harry.

William is not consider a saint, the media is always whining about him. The most ridiculous was comparing William not giving them the name of his dog to the abdication crisis.

How utterly depressing are those 2 Telegraph articles! I'd expect that sort of thing from the Mail, but the Telegraph is a broadsheet paper with a history of being supportive and respectful towards the Royal Family. The Princesses have done a very impressive job of representing the nation, and the fact that Eugenie spoke a little German makes it all the better - I'm surethey left a great impression on all those who met them over there, but they seem tobe receiving no support or respect for their efforts in the UK.

As people have pointed out, this seems to be the way of things - not just for them but other members of the BRF being subjected to cynicism and groundless criticism when it suits a particicular journalist or publication to do so. But that doesn't make it right. Beatrice and Eugenie always seem so sweet, such lovely girls, and I hate to think of them having worked so hard and so well for their country, and then being confronted with rubbish like that. I just hope they realise that it's not neccessarily representative of public opinion, and that there are plenty of people who do support and appreciate them!

I believe we have to thank Sarah for this.

OTOH she has been long enough out of the headlines for Buckingham Palace to dare bringing the girls out in such fashion. Which is a wonderful thing and I hope Sarah has really mended those ways that brought her negatively into the spotlight. Because I doubt the queen or Charles will allow the princesses to represent the family as long as their mother is nearby to do ridiculous things. That's the other side of the coin, unfortunately. The Yorks are chosen to become the bashing bags for the media and as their parents do not provide headlines and they are private citizens, there is venom gathering in the fangs of certain journalists which has to be spit, no matter what the girls do.

I wish there was a Royal connections to the Telegraph, over whose lines somebody could be informaed that it would please BP (or whoever) if the potential of these girls is being reviewed... Because they deserve other headlines and stories.

A lot of people would care. In his country Joachim isn't like the York sisters, he's a very valued member of the DRF. He's brother to the future King, whereas the York girls are neices of the future King in this country. Joachim constantly does engagements in Denmark and abroad, so your comparison makes little sense.

I think Eden meant that if Joachim was in the UK for an official visit none of the British public would care. I have to say I agree on that point as 99% of people here probably wouldn't recognise the Queen of Denmark is if they tripped over her, let alone her younger son.

Beatrice and Eugenie have a considerably higher profile than Joachim, or indeed the Gloucesters or Kents would have. Had the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester made this trip there would probably not have been even a tenth of the media coverage, both in the UK and Germany. That's why the organisers wanted young royals and it certainly seems to have worked well.

Sarah, Eugenie and her boyfriend dined with several celebrity friends like Kate Moss or Tom Jones at China Tang restaurant yesterday, February 4, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** wenn gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom