York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a good idea. Germany loves the Windsors and surely their appearance will lead to all kind of articles which is good for Britain. If they enjoy this kind of "ambassador" work, why should the government not use this? I only hope their wardrobe will be chosen with care.

But typical of the DM to print a pic from the "ugly-stepsisters"-series.

Andrew and Sarah just won't accept that their daughters have no future as working royals. I say Sarah as well as I 've always thought that she would try and compensate for having made such a mess of things by encouraging her daughters to be in the royal spotlight. It's the same reason IMO why they never spend Christmas with her, she wants them seen with the Queen as much as possible be reaffirm their status in the public's mind. I bet Prince Charles is shaking his head at this as his plans for the future don't include the York's. They are all going to get a big shock when the Queen dies I think.

Andrew and Sarah just won't accept that their daughters have no future as working royals. I say Sarah as well as I 've always thought that she would try and compensate for having made such a mess of things by encouraging her daughters to be in the royal spotlight. It's the same reason IMO why they never spend Christmas with her, she wants them seen with the Queen as much as possible be reaffirm their status in the public's mind. I bet Prince Charles is shaking his head at this as his plans for the future don't include the York's. They are all going to get a big shock when the Queen dies I think.

Charles is going to get a big shock when he sees he needs the York girls to keep up with the amount of engagements done each year. I don't see what these girls have done to get a black listed royal future, can someone explain to me without using the word 'Sarah'.

People don't seem to be getting the fact that this isn't a royal engagement, it is at the request of the government that Beatrice and Eugenie promote GB abroad for two days. There are no plans for them to make a foray into the royal world, yet.

Charles is going to get a big shock when he sees he needs the York girls to keep up with the amount of engagements done each year. I don't see what these girls have done to get a black listed royal future, can someone explain to me without using the word 'Sarah'.

People don't seem to be getting the fact that this isn't a royal engagement, it is at the request of the government that Beatrice and Eugenie promote GB abroad for two days. There are no plans for them to make a foray into the royal world, yet.

I think that's because they haven't read all the press articles, which make this abundantly clear. There is also an assumption by some that what the Government have said is untrue, on what basis I've no idea.

Wow...are these your opinions or facts?

If they are facts, please state your sources.

As children, Beatrice and Eugenie did spend a part of Christmas with their mother and part of it with their father. Like most divorced parents, Andrew and Sarah time shared the holidays with their children.

And as already stated it was David Cameron's idea that Beatrice and Eugenie participate in this event. I am sure Sarah voiced her opinions and Andrew is paying, but to suggest that these two pushed their daughters is a bit much.

Exactly! I must reread the article again because I must have missed Sarah's role in this. I hate to break it those who who are not Sarah fans (and you are entitled to your opinion) but Sarah is Beatrice and Eugenie's mother. They aren't going to publicly disown her. That's it isn't going to change no matter how much you want it to.

Last edited:
I don't think Charles is shocked. I'm sure heat least likes or even loves his nieces. The point is IMHO that while the atmosphere in the Uk is so depressed, it's better not to give the impression that the whole of the RF wants to be the cream on top of Britain's society. Which could happen even if the York girls only did Royal engagements for charity and not visit movie premiers and other red carpet events.

But I have no doubt that before arranging such a visit to Germany, the queen and Charles were consulted on their views and obviously agreed to it. Which is understandible because as ambassadors for Britishness abroad two young, fashionable princesses will be certainly in demand. And with Catherine becoming a mother soon it is not very plausible that she will do such jobs. So I guess this is a good development, as long as the girls behave and chose chic but sensible clothes.

Edit: I forgot: of course they have to leave Big Mommy at home!

Last edited:
I thought Beatrice had started a full time job in October? Between Christmas her annual ski holiday with the family and now this it is an awful lot of time off for someone who has just started work. Normally you need to work a year before you get any leave. I'm sure the other workers will be thrilled cause someone is doing her job while she is away. And this is not a Royal engagement it sounds like something Prince Andrew has pushed for I just don't think they are really top on Number 10's list of who to send on a Trade mission. If they aren't careful this is so going to backfire. I don't think this is a good idea at all it seem more like Prince Andrew pushing to get his daughters into Royal Duties he is even paying for it himself which kind of makes you wonder since according the report Number 10 asked them to do it. Sorry I dont think this is a very good idea on Prince Andrews part.

According to the Daily Mail (yes, I know consider the source) Beatrice is using two days of her annual leave in order to do this event. I believe annual leave is available to all employees, who are given a certain number of days per year to use at their discretion with the approval of their manager.

ETA: I really don't know what people want from these two young ladies. They are Princesses of the Royal Blood, they live a privilege life (like most women who come from money, they work and play at different level than most of us). So a local trip for me might equal a trip to Ibizia for them. I go to a local fashion show and no one cares, they go to a fashion show and its published in the Tatler. I take off two days to do errands, clean the house and no one cares, they take off two days to promote Britain in Hanover.

For months (years even) there has been endless debate on whether or not they would partake in royal duties. We keep hearing that Charles want to slim down the BRF (but no one can actually produce the actual interview but hey this is not the appropriate place for this discussion). BP states the girls will get jobs but the general consensus is that Beatrice and Eugenie will be at royal engagements time to time. This is one of those times.

Also, I am very much reminded of the saying...you can pick your friends and not your family. I would expect the people who read and comment The Daily Mail to judge Beatrice and Eugenie by the actions of their parents but I would expect a little more from those who follow the BRF.

What has Beatrice and Eugenie ever done (not counting some questionable fashion choices) to indicate that are worthy of such scorn. Other than be the offspring of Andrew and Sarah, that is?

Last edited:
It's not Andrew's idea Beatrice and Eugenie were asked to go by our PM David Cameron. As for holiday, I can't remember her job but most people I know got two weeks holiday over Christmas and some didn't go back to work until the 7th January. This visit is a two day thing, I doubt her boss will have issue with two day off. As for the cost, who else is supposed to pick up the bill? It's not a royal engagement, and the government can't pay.

This is a bit confusing for me. If they are going at the request of the government, they why would the government not pick up the cost? When I travel or attend an event on behalf of someone else, they usually pick up the tab.

Discussion of the Yorks is just so depressing - people either love them or hate them and there is no in between.
I was looking back at old photos of the royals from the 1980s on (I was checking the progression of the Prince of Wales hairline, hairstyle and haircolor, actually).
Anyway, there was a time when Andrew was a relaxed smiling guy. The Harry of his generation. Sarah entered the pictures, they seemed happy to have one another, then she disappeared from the photos.
Today, there is almost no coverage of Andrew, and what few pictures one sees of him, he is not smiling. In the old days, Edward looked cautiously smiling to a bit tense; today he is the one with the friendly smile looking relaxed at outings.
I just wish they were all happier. I suppose the baggage between my brothers and I is no different than the Windsor's except that their baggage is bespoke, By Appointment to HRH.

I've been wondering if perhaps this is a test case? If it's a success, then Andrew will have more leverage in his struggle to include the girls in royal engagements?

I have read many reports that Andrew is fighting hard to ensure that his daughters have a role in the Firm, and I can't help wondering if he lobbied the PM to go along with this? Because the articles make it clear that Andrew and not the government is paying their expenses.

This is a bit confusing for me. If they are going at the request of the government, they why would the government not pick up the cost? When I travel or attend an event on behalf of someone else, they usually pick up the tab.

Because there's no 'budget' for them to come under, they're royalty it would cause a huge stir if PM paid. Caused enough negative comments with him just inviting them.

The foreign office said it was likely we would see Beatrice and Eugenie again probably on behalf of the government promoting GB, not in a royal capacity.

Actually I think its been grand that we've seen Beatrice and Eugenie out and about doing what some would say resemble royal duties such as teen cancer and this latest trip abroad. I think this is going to be the way of things in the future too. These girls do have their own private lives but should they be needed or the occasion arise, they can carry out engagements with style and grace.

As far as Charles and his cutting the girls off once he is king, I don't see it happening. They are still family and we've seen numerous times where William and Harry have been at the same places or events as Beatrice and Eugenie and I'd wager my last donut that they have a good familial relationship as cousins and enjoy each other. Perhaps the girls will never be full time working royals but the odds are that should they be needed, they'll be there in the wings.

On a slightly different note, when Beatrice and Eugenie visit Hanover do you think they'll meet Prince Ernest Augustus and Caroline of Monaco? They're the Prince and Princess of Hanover, so I think it would be nice if they all could meet. Am I right in thinking they're all related, too?

On a slightly different note, when Beatrice and Eugenie visit Hanover do you think they'll meet Prince Ernest Augustus and Caroline of Monaco? They're the Prince and Princess of Hanover, so I think it would be nice if they all could meet. Am I right in thinking they're all related, too?

They're related distantly, but there is no mention of them meeting the couple or EA on his own as the couple have been separated for a while.

Maybe the two young Hannover princes will be there, Ernest August's sons.
In the last years they have represented their father.

I think it's a good idea. Germany loves the Windsors and surely their appearance will lead to all kind of articles which is good for Britain.

I think that goes only for William/ Harry. Hardly anyone in Germany knows who they are. I don'T know a single person who knows who they are. If you talk about Princess Beatrice or Eugenie, the next sentence is usually: The queens granddaughter or Prince Andrews daughter or something like that. (Or in Beatrices case: Williams cousin with the crazy hat) They hardly get any press coverage here and when they do its usually made up storys in some "Klatschblatt".

I am really curious to see how the event will go and how much coverage it will get in Germany. I think its great that they get to do it. It sounds like a fun way to represent Britain. (I would love to drivve that mini :) )

I've been wondering if perhaps this is a test case? If it's a success, then Andrew will have more leverage in his struggle to include the girls in royal engagements?

I have read many reports that Andrew is fighting hard to ensure that his daughters have a role in the Firm, and I can't help wondering if he lobbied the PM to go along with this? Because the articles make it clear that Andrew and not the government is paying their expenses.

I think this is stemming from Harry's enormously successful foreign tour last year, as well as how the Cambridges have been received on their visits abroad. The Brazilian portion of Harry's trip was also an initiative of the government and their GREAT Britain campaign. Jeremy Hunt, the then Culture Secretary, was with Harry in Brazil and had this to say about his success:

“Prince Harry has the impact of 1,000 politicians,” said Mr Hunt. “Watching him during his tour of the Caribbean and in Brazil, he is becoming an extraordinary phenomenon. He has not been on top of our list before as an ambassador, but seeing the electrifying effect he’s had here, his real connection with children and sport, shows just how he has taken to the role.”
He added that it “again shows what an asset the Royal family is”.

Prince Harry charms Brazil on Olympics visit - Telegraph

I think the government is going to attempt to use the younger royals a bit more for overseas marketing of the UK. I have no issue with the Yorks undertaking such a visit, so long as it's not a full-time gig.

I think that goes only for William/ Harry. Hardly anyone in Germany knows who they are. I don'T know a single person who knows who they are. If you talk about Princess Beatrice or Eugenie, the next sentence is usually: The queens granddaughter or Prince Andrews daughter or something like that. (Or in Beatrices case: Williams cousin with the crazy hat) They hardly get any press coverage here and when they do its usually made up storys in some "Klatschblatt".

I am really curious to see how the event will go and how much coverage it will get in Germany. I think its great that they get to do it. It sounds like a fun way to represent Britain. (I would love to drivve that mini :) )

I did not say Germany loves the York girls - not yet... One has to start somewhere and doing such a trip to promote Britain is a good one. Plus I believe it will be interesting for both of them to visit Berlin and Hannover. They are both university graduates - surely they are not only interested in fashion?

They're related distantly, but there is no mention of them meeting the couple or EA on his own as the couple have been separated for a while.
As they are attending the reopening of the rebuild Herrenhausen Castle i think it is possible that Prince Ernst August jr. attends.

What Bea and Eugenie need is a dollop of Aunt Anne's tough love... | Mail Online

Anne's tough love, Peter and Zara might not have titles but I'm sure Grannies money has come into their lives at some point. Peter was fired from RBS last year I believe, he now runs his own company in London apparently. Zara lives with her parents, which I have no issue just a mention. Comparing titled and non titled children makes little sense to me.

What leads you to suggest that Peter was 'fired' from RBS? I had personal experience of working in corporate markets for that bank and I certainly heard nothing about his being sacked. He was working in the bank's corporate sponsorship division, which included their Formula 1 activities as main sponsor for the Williams F1 team. Given that the bank almost went bust, almost all their sponsorship agreements have been massively scaled back, except for the 6 Nations rugby.

Peter will have known that his role was under threat and, from what I understand, chose to walk before the cuts were actioned.

I've only ever heard that he was fired/ chose 'early retirement' as it were. An article was posted somewhere in the Phillips thread I'll go find it.

I don't think Peter actually owns his own company. He is the managing director of SEL UK, the UK arm of SEL LTD. The company is actually Australian. According to their own website, in addition to managing Zara and Mark Phillips, they also manage the Magic Millions race which Zara has been promoting.

Examiner

The headline is a little bit misleading.

That DM article is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, even by the standards if the "newspaper" in question - negative for negativity's sake and full of logical inconsistancies.

The writer admits that the Princesses are seen as "polite, good-humoured and unpretentious", mentions that they both have jobs, and then compares them unfavourably to Anne's children, whilst claiming they are only known for skiing, clubbing and hats.

No mention, of course, of the York girls' degree results (you don't get a 2:1 without working hard), or the feats that they have achieved to raise money for charity (Beatrice climbing Mont Blanc and doing the marathon, Eugenie doing the Nightrider bike event). And of course no mention of Bea's involvement with the Teenage Cancer Trust or Eugenie's visits to kids suffering spinal problems.

And Andrew is supposedly obsessed with his family's status, and yet paid himself for an ECONOMY class trip - if he was that obsessed, surely he'd insist on first class, paid for by the government. This whole thing just shows that the York sisters can't win with some sections of he UK media no matter what they do! They have been exemplary members of the BRF for some years, achieving plenty and being great representatives of their family and country, but get no credit or respect for this.

On the trip itself, I'm thrilled for them that they've been asked to do this. That the PM apparently felt they would do a good job is a great string to their bows. I think Beatrice and Eugenie have their mother's skill of being able to interact with the public (their father being a little stiffer and more reserved), and I think that, given a chance, they could be huge assets to the RF and the nation. I hope this trip will be a step on the way towards proving that to people!

I agree with much of what you say, FergieFan. Unfortunately for the Yorks, the media basically decide on an 'angle' with public persons and put them in a certain box from which they can never really escape. Andrew and Sarah, and now their daughters, have been firmly placed in the 'lazy, pretentious, grasping for any and all taxpayers' money they can get their hands on' box. It's very unfair, but when the media decide on a settled 'narrative' it almost never changes.

The Queen is dutiful, Philip is politically incorrect, Charles is spoiled, Camilla was the mistress, Diana was a saint, Harry is a party animal, etc. etc. etc. They've all been pigeon-holed to a greater or lesser extent and, in all honesty, there's not a lot they can do about it. It's wrong, but it's just the way it is.

While the DM article is typically nasty, I was surprised at the top-rated comments at the end of it; most of them are not negative towards Beatrice and Eugenie which is a small miracle in itself.

I agree with much of what you say, FergieFan. Unfortunately for the Yorks, the media basically decide on an 'angle' with public persons and put them in a certain box from which they can never really escape. Andrew and Sarah, and now their daughters, have been firmly placed in the 'lazy, pretentious, grasping for any and all taxpayers' money they can get their hands on' box. It's very unfair, but when the media decide on a settled 'narrative' it almost never changes.

The Queen is dutiful, Philip is politically incorrect, Charles is spoiled, Camilla was the mistress, Diana was a saint, Harry is a party animal, etc. etc. etc. They've all been pigeon-holed to a greater or lesser extent and, in all honesty, there's not a lot they can do about it. It's wrong, but it's just the way it is.

I agree. The Yorks are good people but the press pretty much dance on their tonsils every chance they get and that's sad. The royals get a lot of unfair treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom