The Prince of Wales Current Events 12: April 2013 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think that Charles was smart enough to realise there could be a claim on his letters after this date, and was careful about what he wrote on the assumption it was possible that they could one day be revealed, though hoping they wouldn't be.

As Muriel observed, it is being party-political that is prohibited. He has expressed lots of opinions that are political in the broad sense, and continues to do so and I don't fault him for doing so. He has had to fill in his years doing something and has done it very wisely, I think.

What really rankles me about the situation is that here we have a person - be it Charles or William or George - who is in a position to influence governments, yet they are supposed to remain above politics, yet they are able to tell governments what they think in secret, thanks to the new Freedom of Information legislation protecting Royals, and without fear of their views ever being exposed. So these privileged and unelected and unaccountable people are allowed to try to influence governments to make laws which affect people without the people knowing what's been said, and that stinks to high heaven in my opinion. I believe that a person who is in line to be future monarch should either keep their trap shut about party-political issues or make them public.

Why is it worse for his views to be made public than it is to know that he his making them known to politicians in secret? I do not accept that it is. I see no reason why he should have to step down if his secretly disclosed views are in fact made public, merely because they have. It would depend on what he said and how he said it. If he has made an absolute git of himself then yes, he should step down because someone who is an absolute git should not be Head of State. As I said above, I like to think Charles is smarter than that, but let's find out. It's only letters written during a small window of time that are caught.

If he has been foolish then his indiscretion will weigh against the whole system as well as himself personally because it will again put before the public the inequity of the situation where a person is in a position of enormous privilege and influence merely by dint of having been born to the "right" person at the right time.

Firstly - the heir to the throne and the monarch have always (until FOI Act 2000) been able to write to ministers confidentially.

2ndly, Charles is not stupid and I would have expected him to take advice whrn the FOI Act was introduced. On the balance of probability and given the previous decision made, I would say he was told that his letters would remain confidential.

3rdly - why not wait and see instead of pre-judging the situation. That would be a fair and impartial approach, rather than assume the worst.

4thly - it is the new Act which is apparently preventing the heir to the throne from writing in confidence to ministers. Apparently the Monarch can still do so.

Firstly - the heir to the throne and the monarch have always (until FOI Act 2000) been able to write to ministers confidentially.

Yes, and I think it stinks but it is a fact and is now history.

2ndly, Charles is not stupid and I would have expected him to take advice whrn the FOI Act was introduced. On the balance of probability and given the previous decision made, I would say he was told that his letters would remain confidential.
I don't believe he is stupid, but legal opinions are only legal opinions until decided by judges and even they they can be appealed. Commonsense should have told him to be circumspect.

3rdly - why not wait and see instead of pre-judging the situation. That would be a fair and impartial approach, rather than assume the worst.
I am not assuming the worst, and I did say let's find out.

4thly - it is the new Act which is apparently preventing the heir to the throne from writing in confidence to ministers. Apparently the Monarch can still do so.
I thought the new (2010?) law protected the royals including the heir, but if it is only the monarch then that is a good thing, IMO. The monarch's role includes advising.

Last edited:

The Prince of Wales attended an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace on March 14:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** dailymail article **

** express.co.uk: Lynda Bellingham opens up about cancer battle as she receives OBE from Prince Charles **

Lately, the royal family is getting big laughs. What would Charles say to a clothing designer to get this response. The mind reels. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/14/article-2581097-1C4B78E800000578-214_634x591.jpg
First off, go Helen! From Skeldale House to the Palace!:D
I am so thrilled that Lynda was given an OBE she deserves it. Glad she's doing so fantastic.
Secondly, would love to know, that is priceless!:D

Last edited:

The Prince of Wales attended a service and reception to celebrate the presentation of the Royal Charter to the Worshipful Company of Hackney Carriage Drivers in London today, April 3:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

Video:
His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, has attended a service and reception held by the Worshipful Company of Hackney Carriage Drivers to celebrate the presentation of a Royal Charter-
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Prince of Wales has toured Ballater Caravan Park, near Aberdeen to see how a charitable organisation has transformed the site. Previously run by the local authority, the caravan park has been operating for 50 years. The Prince was welcomed into some of the static caravans, and also met 100 year old "double Sandy", who was there when the park first opened. Charles, known as the Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, has been staying with Camilla, the Duchess of Rothesay, at nearby Balmoral-
Home - ITNSource News

^^^ That was sweet of him. What a thrill for them! He has fans for life there. D:

Awww...What a lovely thing for Charles to do. The Bride totally & completely looks as she's having an out of body experience & who can blame her? :)

Congratulations to them & a long happy life filled w/many blessings for them!! :)

Charles sure did add a little bit more sparkle to their already wonderful day by taking the time to stop and congratulate them. If I'm not mistaken, in one of the photos, the bride didn't forget her manners and did a curtsy to her future monarch too.

Gotta love when stuff like this happens. :flowers:

Martin @WindsorEditor · 2m
Prince Charles has had to cancel a visit to a hospice in Dorchester tomorrow, suffering from a heavy cold, @ArthurJEdwards reports.

^ Just as well as if C infected anyone at the hospice, they might well be finished off.

^ Just as well as if C infected anyone at the hospice, they might well be finished off.

That's what I was thinking too. Charles most likely would have gone on with an engagement should it have been somewhere else but took into consideration that the people who were resident at the hospice did not need the added exposure to a bad cold.

It's not like he made a public speech; it was supposed to be a private conversation.

I hope he won't be badgered into apologizing, because he said what so many are thinking!

It's not like he made a public speech; it was supposed to be a private conversation.

I hope he won't be badgered into apologizing, because he said what so many are thinking!

Privately intended or not, it is a mess that now needs to be cleaned up. I'm sure he understands that, even as he knows he has a right to private opinions.

It's always good to see Charles driving his famous Aston Martin.

Video:
Prince Charles has made his first public appearance since allegedly comparing President Putin the Adolf Hitler. Arriving at the Church of St Peter and St Paul in Gloucestershire this evening, the future King refused to be drawn on his alleged comments, despite a dressing down from President Putin in Moscow this evening. The pair are due to meet each other next month, when they attend a commemorative service to mark the 70th anniversary of D-Day landings in Normandy-
Home - ITNSource News

Come now, "alleged" comments. A little bit of Prince Philip coming through. Good idea to drive the Aston!

Prince Charles won't be king-in-waiting and job share with Queen so he can remain outspoken - Mirror Online
Outspoken Prince Charles has ditched a “kingmaker” hired to help him take over more duties from the Queen, fearing such a job share would stop him voicing his views.

Charles, who this week compared *President Putin to Hitler, is no longer paying Sally Osman, who in January became head of a Buckingham Palace team set up to make him king in waiting.

But Charles, 65, has sidelined ex-BBC public relations chief Ms Osman, leaving the shadow king masterplan “in tatters” and causing “chaos” at the Palace.

Things like this are why many think C wont be able to keep his opinions to himself should be one day become king. Just because something is in one's head does not mean it needs to come out of ones mouth!

Hasn't Prince Charles always been outspoken? At least that's what the press have been telling us for the past forty years. So how has it got anything to do with William?

This just seems like the DM stirring the pot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom