The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Cambridge will represent Her Majesty The Queen as the Reviewing Officer at the Sovereign’s Parade at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst on Friday 14th December.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Mary Beard is hilarious. Talking away at William. I may not agree with her very one dimensional characterization of Catherine, but I agree with her about Latin. Learn a bit of Latin and Spanish, Italian and a lot of English come much easier. I've never regretted my Latin. (and that's off topic, sorry!)

I do think it worth noting how open minded the honors award process must be for Mary to be so honored.

Last edited:
“Indeed, it is no accident that you are stood here today. Each of you has demonstrated the very special values that we look for in all those who lead our brave men and women.”

Read more: A speech by The Duke of Cambridge at the Sovereign’s Parade, Sandhurst

The Duke of Cambridge has represented the Queen for the Sovereign's Parade at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke of Cambridge will take part in a conversation with Sir David Attenborough on-stage next month at the 2019 World Economic Forum in @Davos.

They will discuss Sir David’s decades of work highlighting the importance of the natural world and the urgent challenges and opportunities that will face the next generation of environmental leaders.

The Duke will also join a panel discussion on mental health, and will use the opportunity to highlight his belief that the world’s major employers have a vital role to play in promoting mentally healthy societies and workplaces.

:previous: Returning to a familiar setting and listening to stories that likely match his own experience working with East Anglia Air Ambulance. ?

The Duke of Cambridge will visit @LDNairamb on Wednesday 9th January to recognise the work that their first responders carry out delivering life-saving treatment across London.

Also note that he is starting out his engagements quite early in the year after quite lot of unfair criticism on this front a few years ago. I say unfair as he worked with the Air Ambulance at the time.

Actually, my opinion is that working with EAAA was one of the best things that he was allowed to do for a period of time. True life experience that serves to give a good understanding of how things are is perhaps the best teacher.

William, today, could identify with those he met today because he's actually been there, done that and earned the t-shirt. :D

Also note that he is starting out his engagements quite early in the year after quite lot of unfair criticism on this front a few years ago. I say unfair as he worked with the Air Ambulance at the time.

It was mentioned last year that the younger royals will start the new year busy in January. Also, they’re taking on more responsibility in 2019.

Actually, my opinion is that working with EAAA was one of the best things that he was allowed to do for a period of time. True life experience that serves to give a good understanding of how things are is perhaps the best teacher.

William, today, could identify with those he met today because he's actually been there, done that and earned the t-shirt. :D
William was exposed to "true life" from Sandhurst onward. Whatever the Brass say is quite irrelevant, the troops will make up their own minds regardless. That time in the Army and then his transfer and stint as co-pilot and then a pilot with 22 Squadron RAF was definitely a "true life experience which co-incidentally allowed William and Catherine to begin family life while posted to RAF Valley.

With the decision to outsource Rescue work, William left the RAF in September 2013 and in July 2015 he commenced work as an EAAA pilot, working 20 hours a week until he retired in July 2017 to move to full-time royal duties. Whatever else this was, a "true life experience" was not it, as there are few others would not need to juggle a stressful full-time job, married life and new parenthood.

To hear that William is getting 2019 off to an early start is a very good look.

The Duke of Cambridge this afternoon received Sir Timothy Clark (President, Emirates)

Sir Timothy Clark is the Chairman of the Emirates Airline Foundation, a non-profit charity that he helped found which provides humanitarian philanthropic aid and services for children in need around the world

Court Circular || 9 January 2019

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge this morning received Sir David Attenborough (Naturalist and Broadcaster).

His Royal Highness this afternoon received the Rt Hon David Mundell, MP (Secretary of State for Scotland).

Court Circular || 16 January 2019

I just love the fact that The Cambridge’s and Sussex’s were very busy yesterday. Well managed, KP.

I just love the fact that The Cambridge’s and Sussex’s were very busy yesterday. Well managed, KP.

We are clearly moving to a time when the Cambridge's and Sussex' will have very busy days on an ongoing basis. A lot of that will be behind the scenes, private meetings, working in the office and some of it will be public engagements. The problem is that it is only the public engagements that get reported on.

The Duke of Cambridge meets with the Rt Honourable Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand, at The World Economic Forum

Pic

Pic 2

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge and Sir David Attenborough discuss Sir David’s work highlighting the importance of the natural world and the urgent challenges facing the next generation of environmental leaders

Reactions: eya
The Duke of Cambridge today attended the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

His Royal Highness this morning received Professor Klaus Schwab (Founder and Executive Chairman, World Economic Forum).

The Duke of Cambridge afterwards attended a Meeting on Global Governance. His Royal Highness this afternoon received the Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern, MP (Prime Minister of New Zealand).

The Duke of Cambridge subsequently interviewed Sir David Attenborough (Naturalist and Broadcaster).

His Royal Highness later attended a Screening of Sir David Attenborough’s new documentary series, “Our Planet”. Dr Simon Case and Mr Jason Knauf are in attendance

Court Circular || 22 January 2019

:previous: In typical DM fashion the headline is misleading, and makes it sound as though William is being disrespectful of his grandmother and the WWII generation. That's not quite what he said. But hey, why let the actual quotes get in the way of the headlines?

Actually, I thought that the headline was right on the mark (for the Fail, its unusual). William goes on to explain that amid all the horrors of the war, one just kept on keeping on and bottled things up and tried to get through the horrors of war the best they could.

I didn't live during those times but the war and its effects were felt world wide.
Especially in London and the UK. People lived not knowing what was coming the next day or if their loved ones would return. They had to survive and having a mental breakdown was antithesis to being able to keep on their toes and alert. Hence the "stiff upper lip".

I think, though, I identified with William most when he talked about handling the traumas he faced during his own experiences. After witnessing those kind of things, its *very* important to sit and talk about it and process it. That's why debriefing here for our fire and rescue squads are mandatory should there be a need for it.

My impression of the headline and captions was different than yours. I thought the choice of words implied that the current generation's mental health problems could be laid at the door of the WWII generation, and as I noted, that's not really what he said. I thought all of his comments were very compassionate, for everyone involved.

William does have the capacity to speak from the heart much like his grandmother does. He's sincere.

We do learn and tend to follow our parent's examples. My parent's era was the WWII era and, trust me, no one talked about mental issues or it was rare even to have what we call "drama". Come to think of it, we said things like "expecting" instead of pregnant. Television censors cut out a reference to the "W.C.".

My generation had the answer to mental illnesses. Drugs. They were doled out plentiful as many ailments we know more about today were treated with "mother's little helpers". PMS hadn't been invented yet. That, I lived through. :D

This, is perhaps why we see the title differently. My kids (all in their 40s) would probably see it the same way you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom