The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think William is ideal for the job. He has that " special something".

Oh, come on! It is a dignifying job, it is very meritable that he is giving the salary to charity, but let's be frank here - he could make much more for charity just appearing in events and leaving that job to somebody else already qualified. In my humble opinion he looks like the heir of a huge business corporation that is fighting his controlling parents to be independent and feels he is misunderstood. Why didn't he continue to be in the military first place? I can understand him not wanting to hang on and do what he is told till one of his seniors dies (sad but true). Probably they thought Prince Philip would not recover well from his last heath issue and convinced him to leave the military. I don't know what is going on behind the curtains but the result is the image of a childish insecure man that does not know what to do of his life. It's either really bad PR and miscommunication among the royals or the Duke thinks he is still in his teens trying to find out his call in life. I can see him under the shower singing "Should I stay or should I go?"

Last edited:
:previous: As much as I love seeing William interacting with people on official engagements (and let's face it, he's quite good), I do think that what he chose to dedicate his time to is as important (if not more even) than constantly being seen. He's going to be helping people, and saving lives. I would hope that such a decision would make people respect him just a little bit more, but I have a feeling I'm wrong.

I agree. The mind boggles that people criticise this decision but there you go.

How you view this situation just frankly depends on what your opinion is of PW and the DoC. If anyone's interested or busy, I can help you skip 20 pages of going round and round and round.

Those who like them (or/and those who don't generally think of them with any particular negativity) will opine and maintain that the Time of the Cambridges hasn't come yet.

Those forum members who have seen signs that, in their opinion, show that William and Catherine are (insert one: boring, petulant, not ready, lazy, entitled, noncommittal, or not sufficiently devoted to their roles) will argue that William is just kicking the can down the road, acting entitled and not giving due deference to his place in the BRF.

Exactly. William's critics will always be his critics.

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 12m
Kensington Palace says Prince William will attend a reception in Glasgow this evening "to thank those who worked on the Commonwealth Games".

How you view this situation just frankly depends on what your opinion is of PW and the DoC. If anyone's interested or busy, I can help you skip 20 pages of going round and round and round.

Those who like them (or/and those who don't generally think of them with any particular negativity) will opine and maintain that the Time of the Cambridges hasn't come yet.

Those forum members who have seen signs that, in their opinion, show that William and Catherine are (insert one: boring, petulant, not ready, lazy, entitled, noncommittal, or not sufficiently devoted to their roles) will argue that William is just kicking the can down the road, acting entitled and not giving due deference to his place in the BRF.

Basically.

It's funny that William taking on a job where he's rescuing/saving lives, is viewed by some as a negative thing. And by funny, I mean sad.

William may not be shaking hands and opening buildings, but he is still serving the people with his new job. Also, it's not like he won't still be undertaking royal duties and working with his foundation.

Basically.

It's funny that William taking on a job where he's rescuing/saving lives, is viewed by some as a negative thing. And by funny, I mean sad.

William may not be shaking hands and opening buildings, but he is still serving the people with his new job. Also, it's not like he won't still be undertaking royal duties and working with his foundation.

I'm not sure anyone views William's upcoming job in the Air Ambulance as a negative thing. It's a very honorable job.

I'm not sure anyone views William's upcoming job in the Air Ambulance as a negative thing. It's a very honorable job.

Exactly! The problem is that he is one among some that can do this job well but is the only one in millions that will be king, even if this will happen in a distant future.

Unfortunately I've seen quite a few people view it in a negative light. He's been called lazy and spoiled, a few have said he should step aside if he wants a real job and some have complained about where he'll be donating the money. Believe me, not all view it as honorable.

Like I said, he's not cutting ribbons but he's performing a public service and making a difference. Which is one of the things that people expect of royals. Air Ambulance is a charity and by working there, he is bringing attention and money to the organization.

Personally, I don't see how going full-time is going to make him any more ready for his future role.

Last edited:
I think William is ideal for the job. He has that " special something".

I share your opinion. He has the heart to help those in need. Yes, that can be done by going to charity events, but actions speak so much louder than any words of a speech at said events could. He'll do a wonderful job as a Prince of Wales, and King, when it's his time.

Basically.

You said it!

I mean I suppose if he wanted to become Patron of the Air ambulance service he could, and people wouldn't complain. And yes, that would be wonderful. I don't mean to say that William's touching peoples lives by being Patron of charities , and going to these events isn't wonderful, because it most certainly is. I know it helps people.But this seems greater somehow, because he is taking action. Can't really explain what I mean because you could say that doing charity appearances is taking action too. And donating his salary too. Wonderful.
I was reading some books quoted William as saying he wanted to be " The People's King" I know he will be . Reading about people's interactions with William had me in tears.
I must say I was shocked to read such negativity about William doing this. I wondered if they were talking about the same William. The adjectives they used were the complete opposite of the William that I have gained an impression of from reading accounts of people that have actually met the man.

Follow up to my last post. I mean I could see it - the negativity if William was ditching all his other charities and royal duties to do this- but he isn't.
And I mean if say Catherine wanted to volunteer at EACH, why the heck shouldn't she? She did with the Scouts- no complaint there.
I feel sorry for these people. They don't work people say their lazy. They work- you're not doing your royal duty. Then you have people who say royal duties are not work, and don't make a difference. I beg to differ. They can't win. Shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I suppose if he wanted to become Patron of the Air ambulance service he could, and people wouldn't complain. And yes, that would be wonderful. I don't mean to say that William's touching peoples lives by being Patron of charities , and going to these events isn't wonderful, because it most certainly is. I know it helps people.But this seems greater somehow, because he is taking action. Can't really explain what I mean because you could say that doing charity appearances is taking action too. And donating his salary too. Wonderful.
I was reading some books quoted William as saying he wanted to be " The People's King" I know he will be . Reading about people's interactions with William had me in tears.
I must say I was shocked to read such negativity about William doing this. I wondered if they were talking about the same William. The adjectives they used were the complete opposite of the William that I have gained an impression of from reading accounts of people that have actually met the man.

I understand completely what you're trying to say here and I agree 100% with you. I think when it comes to doing things, both William and Harry do go that extra mile. William is not only supporting and patron of causes and charities, he's in a profession that, while it might seem "fun" and glamorous to some, is really a stressful and physically and emotionally draining job. Timing is crucial and I would wager that 99.9%, of the air lifts done are matters of life and death. Its like Harry backing "Walking with the Wounded" but yet going the extra mile by actually walking with them in extreme conditions.

Follow up to my last post. I mean I could see it - the negativity if William was ditching all his other charities and royal duties to do this- but he isn't.
And I mean if say Catherine wanted to volunteer at EACH, why the heck shouldn't she? She did with the Scouts- no complaint there.
I feel sorry for these people. They don't work people say their lazy. They work- you're not doing your royal duty. Then you have people who say royal duties are not work, and don't make a difference. I beg to differ. They can't win. Shame.

I actually think Catherine's choices have been severely limited by the desire to not create another media sensation/icon out of a royal spouse. (Not that I think she minds. I think at her core, she's quite happy to play the support role and be as private as she can be)

I'd LOVE to see her volunteer at EACH but I think the chances of that happening are slim because "Princess with dying children" will always bring a ton of media attention.

William seems to be doing his best to find a meaningful role while maintaining some semblance of a life. It can't be easy.

I think William should dedicate exclusively to Royal duties.
He has no need to be a helicopter pilot.

Why because he's rich? There is no need for Harry to be a soldier or to go to Afghanistan. I feel it is admirable that men who don't have to work have decided to do it anyway.

As for William being insecure and not knowing what to do with his life, I think it is the complete opposite. He has been doing generally the same thing since he graduated college, careers in service to the public. I don't know why he quit the RAF to do this but they are not 2 entirely different career paths. I think even his degree in geography is coming into play in his piloting, but I'm not sure about that; I suck at geography and haven't taken it since sophomore year. It has to do with maps right?

Last edited:
Why because he's rich? There is no need for Harry to be a soldier or to go to Afghanistan. I feel it is admirable that men who don't have to work have decided to do it anyway.

As for William being insecure and not knowing what to do with his life, I think it is the complete opposite. He has been doing generally the same thing since he graduated college, careers in service to the public. I don't know why he quit the RAF to do this but they are not 2 entirely different career paths. I think even his degree in geography is coming into play in his piloting, but I'm not sure about that; I suck at geography and haven't taken it since sophomore year. It has to do with maps right?

He probably quit the RAF because of privatization of the SAR coupled with less ability to control his time off and leave. This sounds like it will have more flexibility and allow him to be with his family more.

I agree with you that he seems passionate and committed about flying.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm in agreement with you, as pretty much always. I think that many people are negative, because maybe their view of a 'fulfilling' job is being in the public eye, and basically being a show monkey. William, thankfully, wants to actually DO things to make a difference. I say, good for him! Maybe you, myself, and others see William's choice as something positive, because we've been in situations where actions did a lot more good than pure words or appearances. I know that as an educator I'm a big believer in doing, and making sure that the children get the best chance possible. William more than likely feels the same way. Yeah..I hope I'm making sense...

No, no matter what, William and Catherine will almost always be on the losing end. There will be criticism and negativity. I'm just glad that they're not letting those things run their choices. They're making a difference whether they're making an appearance, or doing something more involved. It brings attention to a cause, and that means more volunteers, donations, etc. It would be wonderful if Catherine volunteered with EACH, or at a school for kids with special needs. However, I think due to press attention, she'll have to figure out a way to do it so that it's private. Yes, that will tick the 'Kate is Lazy' brigade, but something like that should be done in private to respect the children and families that Catherine would be working with.

I actually think Catherine's choices have been severely limited by the desire to not create another media sensation/icon out of a royal spouse. (Not that I think she minds. I think at her core, she's quite happy to play the support role and be as private as she can be)

I'd LOVE to see her volunteer at EACH but I think the chances of that happening are slim because "Princess with dying children" will always bring a ton of media attention.

William seems to be doing his best to find a meaningful role while maintaining some semblance of a life. It can't be easy.

You said everything I've been thinking!

There is political geography(national boundaries) and physical geography (land/water forms). Having a knowledge of both would be beneficial.

Glad that those who worked out of the spotlight are being recognized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that those who worked out of the spotlight are being recognized.

That's pretty much my opinion too. Very much something Wills (and Harry) would do.

I'm in agreement with you, as pretty much always. I think that many people are negative, because maybe their view of a 'fulfilling' job is being in the public eye, and basically being a show monkey. William, thankfully, wants to actually DO things to make a difference. I say, good for him! Maybe you, myself, and others see William's choice as something positive, because we've been in situations where actions did a lot more good than pure words or appearances. I know that as an educator I'm a big believer in doing, and making sure that the children get the best chance possible. William more than likely feels the same way. Yeah..I hope I'm making sense...

No, no matter what, William and Catherine will almost always be on the losing end. There will be criticism and negativity. I'm just glad that they're not letting those things run their choices. They're making a difference whether they're making an appearance, or doing something more involved. It brings attention to a cause, and that means more volunteers, donations, etc. It would be wonderful if Catherine volunteered with EACH, or at a school for kids with special needs. However, I think due to press attention, she'll have to figure out a way to do it so that it's private. Yes, that will tick the 'Kate is Lazy' brigade, but something like that should be done in private to respect the children and families that Catherine would be working with.

You said everything I've been thinking!
Like William said, " I want to be more than an ornament." I say Bravo.
I think you're right- I think a lot of my feelings come from not being helped in an active way when needed.
I was just using Catherine at EACH as an example though I think it would be great- provided it was private.

Harry was nominated too. I wonder if they'll do it? It would be great if they taped the challenge together.

RAF Association welcomes HRH The Duke of Cambridge as a member
The Royal Air Forces Association has welcomed Flt Lt HRH The Duke of Cambridge as a new member.

Nick Bunting, the RAF Association Secretary General, said: “Unsurprisingly the Association is thrilled to be welcoming the HRH The Duke of Cambridge as a member. The RAF Association is all about the RAF family providing friendship, help and support whenever and wherever it’s needed.”

The Duke of Cambridge completed seven-and-a-half years of full-time military service. His Royal Highness began his career with the Household Cavalry (Blues and Royals) and later served with the Royal Air Force, with his final posting as an RAF Search and Rescue Pilot. The Duke of Cambridge left operational service in the Armed Forces in September 2013.

Friendship. Help. Support. IMO, that describes William to a T.
Love it- " Unsurprisingly, we are thrilled". They are right- not a surprise!

The talk of the day there is going to be people asking about Kate and offering congratulations...who will care why he's actually going there in the first place!

LaRae

Yep, if Catherine hadn't been going to start with they wouldn't have had to announce it. Overshadowing both this event and the Invictus Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom