The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how lucky is william to study at st john's. it's such a beautiful college of cambridge.

I know I am late to this discussion but I really don't see what the problem is. William is not doing a course that needs for you to apply, it's bespoke, with no qualifications at the end.
As most people have pointed out, most universities in the world have these kind of courses. My mothers company sent a number of their staff to a bespoke course that they had organized with a university. These bespoke courses are tailor made to fit your needs as an individual and all you have to do in return is pay.
I don't know how things work in Cambridge but at my university, even if this was an entry course, William's A-levels would not matter because he holds a degree. His degree would be used to decide if he qualifies for entry. He would be a postgraduate student. I know a number of people in my class whose grades did not qualify them for entry into medicine (it's an undergraduate degree in SA). They did a three/four year degree in sciences and then used that to apply for entry into medicine.

Prince William's Uni Course Being Reported in Oz as Causing "Uproar" in UK.

Hi All,

Monday morning in Australia and Royal reporter Rob Jobson - who is a regular, see him a couple of times a week - is being interviewed by our local TV hosts regarding the "rocky" start to Prince William's uni course, that "is only getting worse".(Words of our Australian TV personality, not Rob.)

Focus is on the "discount/cut-price" of his course, and that fellow students are upset by this.

Rob is reporting that this has caused a bit of disquiet among the Queen's courtiers, and that they see it as "rather naive" of William's aides to allow this to have happened.

It has caused a bit of an uproar when people know William's personal trust fund is worth around fifty million, (Australian), dollars.

It's also being reported that the university is "fudging" things, as that want the Duke of Cambridge associated with Cambridge University, but that in fact the cost is a substantial amount less than what should have been paid, even though it is a tailor-made, ten week course etc.

Best Wishs Everyone, Sun Lion. :flowers:

P.S. I know Rob isn't some posters favourite Royal reporter, but he fits in well with Australian audiences - I find him very likeable and straight to the point in his style.

Also, he often come out with things that make me think he knows what he is talking about - has the inside track wth those in the know.

PP.S. Hi Skippyboo - yes, still very hot across Oz, with homes now being burnt down in NSW after being lost in WA, SA and VIC. Makes me think we'll either have a hot time for W and K's visit -as we'll be heading into a drought - or the heavens will open and and we'll all be dodging the delayed/built up rain - one extreme or the other.

:previous:
What a load of rubbish and its OLD NEWS and its not as dramatic as he makes it out to be.

Last edited:
What a load of rubbish and its OLD NEWS and its not as dramatic as he makes it out to be.

Whether true or not royalistbert, this was a national broadcast across the whole of Australia - so a national audience that would not doubt it.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Not sensationalised - presented very matter of factly with reports on a couple of other royal matters.

Last edited:
My understanding was that Rob Jobson was actually using an article from the Daily Mirror as the basis of his comments (this is based on the fact that he used the Mirror story on Twitter).

The article actually said that William paid less because the course was cheaper than he expected. This was translated as a discount. To me, if something costs less than I thought it would, I dont consider that a discount.

The Mirror article also tried to negatively compare the cost of William's course with the debt laden students leaving university with over £25k of debt with annual fees of c. £9k
Well £10,000 for a 10 week course rather than £9,000 for c. 30 weeks looks like the student got a bargain. I know this is flippant but really is getting ridiculous.

He hasn't stopped anyone from getting a place at university; he is paying (whatever it is) out of his own pocket; he is showing that learning something new when you are over 30 is ok; he is showing commitment to his future life being responsible for the Duchy of Cornwall.

Jobson tends to focus on the negative and the sensational - years at the News of the World have had there effect on him. But he does have great taste in music.

The original article didn't say anything about students being upset. Apparently, one guy made a comment about the course being discounted. I wonder how this particular person found out what the Royals are paying for the course, anyway. Given that this is a bespoke course, is Cambridge in the habit of giving out that kind of information? Or is this information something that is routinely given by all universities? And who among the Queen's "courtiers" is talking about what is going on inside the Palace?

The original article didn't say anything about students being upset. Apparently, one guy made a comment about the course being discounted. I wonder how this particular person found out what the Royals are paying for the course, anyway. Given that this is a bespoke course, is Cambridge in the habit of giving out that kind of information? Or is this information something that is routinely given by all universities? And who among the Queen's "courtiers" is talking about what is going on inside the Palace?

Hi cinrit,

We'll never know who are the sources of any Royal reporters.

I forgot to mention earlier that Catherine is still being called "Kate Middleton", (by our TV personalities).

Hope we don't get media reports of Prince William and Kate Middleton's activities when they're here on tour.

Best Wishes All, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
I think most people here are going to keep calling them Prince William and Kate Middleton, particularly younger Australians. It will be interesting to see how they are referred to during the tour.

No one I knows calls her anything but Kate Middleton. The use of the title Duchess of Cambridge as a name is difficult for some and she can't be called Princess Kate as that is wrong so our media simply stick with the name they have used for over a decade and then everyone knows whom they are talking about.

I wouldn't expect her to be called anything other than Kate or Kate Middleton by the press or the public.

:previous: I think there is the added factor that Kate is an ordinary person and was not even a Lady. Diana was an aristocrat and was called "Lady Di" and it was an easy transition to start calling her "Princess Di". But Kate is just Kate Middleton and people in Australia aren't going to start referring to someone with the easy, ordinary, name of Kate as "the Duchess of Cambridge". We just aren't programmed to do that. It's a tongue twister and this is a country where people tend to give people shortened nicknames (e.g. to call cricketer Shane Warne, "Warney"), they don't extend them.

That's her title for now. If she becomes Princess of Wales. I am sure people will start calling her Princess Kate then.

I doubt it. People now a days tend to stick rather firmly to the names that they first came to know someone by - at least in terms of someone famous. It's part of why a good number of female celebrities continue to use their maiden names (or an ex-husband's name) professionally even after they've changed their surname privately.

Kate will remain Kate in the public eye because that's what she was for so long and it's what the press - especially the American press - still refers to her. The difference with Diana, besides being a different age, was that the world didn't know her as Lady Diana for long before she, inaccurately, became Princess Diana. The same won't be true with Kate.

That's her title for now. If she becomes Princess of Wales. I am sure people will start calling her Princess Kate then.

But we were talking about what she is called in Australia, where she and William will be travelling in a month or so.

And she already is a Princess in the sense that she's married to Prince William so she's Princess William of Wales as well as Duchess of Cambridge, but she's not called Princess Kate here.

Is she "of Wales"? Or William, for that matter. I thought he ceased to be "of Wales" when he became Duke of Cambridge.

Is she "of Wales"? Or William, for that matter. I thought he ceased to be "of Wales" when he became Duke of Cambridge.

You're probably right about the "of Wales". But he's still Prince William, so she must be Princess William if it is indeed the case that the wife takes the styles and titles of the husband.

I think technically he's HRH Prince William, Duke of Camridge, etc, and she's HRH Princess William, Duchess of Camridge, etc, but typically only the main part of the style/title is used - HRH The Duke/Duchess of Cambridge.

Or I could be wrong and Bertie is going to come and correct me.

Bertie isn't going to correct you as you are correct - William went from HRH Prince William of Wales to HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfeargus on his wedding day so his wife became HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfeargus. She stopped being Kate/Catherine anything on that day officially and won't use her own name again until William is King and she is his Queen.

But then she'll be HM The Queen. She won't be Catherine again until she's a widowed Queen.

And we'll probably still be calling her Kate Middleton.

She will be HM Queen Catherine more than HM The Queen as HM The Queen is more for a Regnant rather than a Consort. She will appear in the CC most likely as HM The Queen but just as likely HM Queen Catherine while William will be HM The King (he doesn't get to use his name again in official documents).

But then she'll be HM The Queen. She won't be Catherine again until she's a widowed Queen.

And we'll probably still be calling her Kate Middleton.
:lol: You are probably right.

Hope by the time if she is Queen she gets respect of people calling her by her proper title.

I think it has very little to do with respect, it's what name people most commonly associate with her and that's Kate Middleton. I imagine when she's Queen the british papers with stop, but the american ones won't.

This has nothing to do with this thread though.

Hope by the time if she is Queen she gets respect of people calling her by her proper title.

Then we can only use proper titles here so no more William and Kate at all but TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, no Philip but HRH The Duke of Edinburgh or The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall (but then her most senior title is The Princess of Wales even though she isn't using it).

I suspect most people will continue to use the royal's first names as it is easier and simpler than saying their titles anyway.

When, and if, she is Queen she will still be Kate.

She is still, of course, entitled to Kate Middleton as that remains her maiden name and many many women keep their maiden names these days.

I think that if you ask people to call you Catherine/Duchess of Cambridge people should do so. Although to some people (especially journalists) "Kate"/"Kate Middleton" comes more easily an effort should have been made by now to stop referring to her as such. Helen Mirren is "Helen Mirren" not "Helen Hackford" because it is Helen Mirren she is presenting to world and her achievements as an actress predate her marriage. With the greatest respect Catherine's public life began the day she did her first royal engagement as HRH Duchess of Cambridge and only as the HRH Duchess of Cambridge can she become Queen Catherine consort of the King and eventually Queen Catherine, The Queen Mother. Maybe for the press her heels need to be shorter, her hems longer and her hair tied back before they will accord her the diginity of 'Duchess of Cambridge'.

Let's get back on topic...the Duke of Cambridge's Current Events.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 2h
Prince William, The Duke of Cambridge, will be carrying out the investiture today at Buckingham Palace.

It's all gone Pete Tong for Prince William. He's been presenting the superstar dance DJ with an MBE at a Buckingham Palace investiture.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom