The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seeing a portion of the interview, you can tell that William is a proud husband and father. I like that he included Lupo as part of his family. It's just him, Catherine, George and Lupo.

I believe and hope he will be a father like Charles was to him;Whatever else you can say about the man, he was and is a great father. I suspect he made a conscious choice to never treat his kids the way Phillip did him.

I believe and hope he will be a father like Charles was to him;Whatever else you can say about the man, he was and is a great father. I suspect he made a conscious choice to never treat his kids the way Phillip did him.
What did Phillip do? Sorry, it's just that I don't know about, and I'm curious about it;)

What did Phillip do? Sorry, it's just that I don't know about, and I'm curious about it;)

Phillip very much wanted Charles to toughen up and took a very tough love approach. The school Charles attended made him feel miserable and he was badly bullied there.

Phillip did his best, but there was a generational divide. He didn't accept that Charles was a bit sensitive and would have done well with a more sympathetic environment.

He was distant, critical ,insensitive....Phillip being Phillip, really. He did not know how to parent or empathize with a sensitive child like Charles was and made choices for his son that were detrimental in the long term. Phillip is an amazing person in any ways and not unkind but very tough. Now with age, both have mellowed a little and are connecting better, with shared interests-they worked together to bring back Windsor after the fire, which was lovely.

Last edited:
He was distant, critical ,insensitive....Phillip being Phillip, really. He did not know how to parent or empathize with a sensitive child like Charles was and made choices for his son that were detrimental in the long term. Phillip is an amazing person in any ways and not unkind but very tough. Now with age, both have mellowed a little and are connecting better, with shared interests-they worked together to bring back Windsor after the fire, which was lovely.

He's a father of his time, simple as.

Probably but don't paint with such a wide brush....his disjointed childhood and family or lack of and the emotional shield it gave him helped triple all the typical old school royal father traits, IMO.

Philip didn't have a good family life when he was little. His family went into exile. Dad left. Mom was mentally ill. He floated between homes of his relatives during school breaks.

He is supposedly very good with babies and small children. I am sure William appreciated the offer of his grandfather to walk with him during his mother's funeral. William was unsure if he wanted to walk and Philip offered to walk with him.

I know William, Harry and probably the rest of the younger royals have a heck of a lot of respect for him. Makes me sad George will never get really know him. The grandkids had the advantage of The QM and him for life experience and tough but sound advise.

I watched William on CNN this morning and smiled through the entire thing. For people that aren't overly familiar with William, I think the main impression that he'll make is that although he's been born into a family with a title of "highness", there is nothing egotistical about this man. He presented himself as the proud father he was and how important his wife and son were to him and how important being hands on and doing it himself was to him. Just watching his face as he described life with his young son, you know those late nights, wiggles and cleaning up the dog slobber were precious memories he'll have for the rest of his life. He talks fondly of how Lupo is adjusting to life with baby. A really normal household with really normal people experiencing things for the first time.

Although William has full realization of who he is and what his duties and role in life is and will be, there's a down to earth element about him that endears him to the public.

Just seeing a portion of the interview, you can tell that William is a proud husband and father. I like that he included Lupo as part of his family. It's just him, Catherine, George and Lupo.

Agree completely with the above assessments. I always enjoy watching William give interviews. He tells it like he sees it, and that makes him a down-to-earth, and level-headed individual. Yes, he's very much aware of who he is, but he also uses that knowledge to do things his own way, and make a difference. It's obvious that he adores his new family unit, and is happy to be a part of it. I feel that even if him and Catherine had the help of staff, they would still choose to be hand-on parents. They have a vision for how they want to raise their children, and I think being independent, and self-reliant will be a very big part of that.

Every Generations of Parents are different. I see quite a difference in how My Grandparents were brought up and how My Parents were brought up and my Upbringing as well. Philip had a hard family life to start with but he was a Father of his times as Charles was of his times And William will be a father of his times. Charles was very much neutered by his Grandmother in a way as his Mother wasn't always around (Which I understand and not going to blame or anything). Philip kind of reminds me of that very strict tough love parent like Red Forman from That's 70s Show was.

I always had respect for Prince Philip especially after the Death of Diana, I always like that he walked behind Diana Casket in support of William who didn't want to walk behind the casket at first. I like how The Queen, Prince Philip and Charles protected William and Harry from the spotlight in the days following Diana Death and kept them in the confines of Balmoral where they could Grieve privately and not go straight back to London to have them stand on the steps of buckingham palaces crying their eyes out like some peoples wanted to do which is selfish in my opinion. That week show how Compassionate they were and how much they cared in in keeping the Boys away from the spotlight. They were being loving Father/Grandparents caring for their Sons/Grandsons who just lost their Mother. Too bad some cant see it that way. Even William and Harry gave said they were glad that they were allowed to grieve in private. I had even more respect for Philip (And The Queen and Charles) after that week. They acted in the best interest of the Boys.

Last edited:
I loved that little interview. William seemed to be emotional and over joyed and changed. He seemed to really love talking about his little family and he even included Lupo. So sweet. I cant wait to see the first photographs that are supposedly being released tomorrow our time which for some of you, today since it is already tomorrow. If anyone see them, please post them. :)

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 25m
Friday's event is one where we were led to believe Kate might appear, depending on how she feels, though KP is planning for only William.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 31m
Prince William will start the 135-mile Ring O’ Fire Anglesey Coastal Ultra Marathon on Friday, August 30, Kensington Palace says..

I must admit, the "gap year" talk or "transition" statements from Kensington Palace wasn't the best. I think plan and simple statements on William's leaving the armed forces to focus more on official duties and increase charity work wouldn't been enough.

:previous: Agreed, Dman. The announcement was a bad choice of words. I think it would have been better if there had been definite plans announced, even for the next couple of months of activities. That would have given concrete information about what the Duke's work would be, rather than this nebulous announcement.

I must admit, the "gap year" talk or "transition" statements from Kensington Palace wasn't the best. I think plan and simple statements on William's leaving the armed forces to focus more on official duties and increase charity work wouldn't been enough.
I absolutely agree that the Palace's terms to describe William's next step in life were poor choices.

I agree that this is a well-written article regarding William's future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for William! Time to start getting in the practice as he'll have to do a lot more of these in the future!

This is so exciting!!! I view it as a real coming of age for William, to be allowed by HM to conduct an investiture. Can't wait to see the video/photos.

This is the kind of stuff many people have been waiting for, William embracing a more official role within the "Firm." I also can't wait for the pictures. Hopefully there will be a video provided.

This is the kind of stuff many people have been waiting for, William embracing a more official role within the "Firm." I also can't wait for the pictures. Hopefully there will be a video provided.

Yup!! I'm excited for this, and I also very much hope the Cambridges participate in state dinners now.

William to present the 1st British man to win Wimbledon in how long (battling a bug and while I know it, I'm blanking on it) w/his OBE? Oh, there'll be oodles of pictures and videos of this one, I'll guarantee it!!

I wonder if Andy will be able even do the neck bow thing, as he's recovering from what sounded like pretty serious back surgery. Regardless, this is one presentation ceremony I can't wait to see!! :D

William to present the 1st British man to win Wimbledon in how long (battling a bug and while I know it, I'm blanking on it) w/his OBE?

77 years is the how long you're looking for. He's also the first British player to win a Grand Slam singles tournament at the US Open since 1936 (and the first British player since 1977), and as of last year's Olympics he's the first British singles champion in over 100 years. This OBE is certainly well deserved.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 19m
The Queen uses a sword that belonged to her father,King George VI, so we presume William will also be using his great-grandfather's heirloom

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 18m
Sources say he's also been practising pinning medals on servants in preparation for the ceremony. Has a lot to live up to in his grandmother

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 17m
It's also a significant step up for the prince who left the military last month to begin his formal life as a royal.....

William doesn't actually have to pin anyone. The people getting the gongs have a little clip put on their lapel prior to the investiture so the Queen or whatever royal doing the investiture just put the gong onto the clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom