The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Charles wrote a children’s story for his youngest brother Edward, which was later published. Presumably he didn’t go to writing classes and he composed it all himself.

I’m not denying he was told not to attend, but ex monarchs don’t turn up to their successor’s Coronations by custom either.

Usually, they’re dead. Or about to be. The voluntary abdication trend is relatively new.

I’ve gotten progressively more cynical about the interview in the weeks since it first aired. They did it to help build their brand for the American market. They wanted a few parts to really stick - the racism accusation, the alleged money woes with Charles as the villain and the idea of The Sussexes as being trapped and isolated in the middle of a mental health crisis. They kept those parts just vague enough to provoke as much discussion as possible.
Yes, I agree, but I think they also miscalculated a bit. The press then focused on the fractured relationship between Harry and his family and not all of the hardships (in the beautiful home offered to them and renovated to their liking, one of the most expensive wardrobes between european royals and all the privacy AND pomp and glory) Meghan has endured. That's why we were then treated to the awful articles how "any reconciliation has to include Meghan" and all of that jazz.
It blows my mind that someone who hasn’t seen her own father in three years and who helped Harry throw his father under a bus has the gall to write about relationships between fathers and sons.
And then there's that. Couldn't say it myself better.

It is actually quite pathetic. I get people dislike Meghan but they really need to stop dragging innocent people because they want to attack her.

She issued a statement tweet. It is a shame she had to do it because the tabloids were bombarding her. This happened with others in the past too.

Agreed. It’s not fair to other people. I wonder how the tabloids hit on her if their works are so obviously strikingly dissimilar.

On the upside- people who never heard of her- such as myself- have now. Could be a silver lining in what likely was an unwanted irritation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The accusations of plagiarism began on Twitter. The DM then leaped on it and the other tabloids and online sites then followed, as they usually do.

I do think it is incredibly tone-deaf and mind boggling that she would choose to write a book on father - son relationships given that she helped Harry throw his own father under the bus and she herself hasn’t seen her own father in 3 years.

As I've understood it, her inspiration is Harry's relationship with Archie. Are you suggesting that people who don't have a (good) relationship with their own parent can't be good parents themselves?

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

Prince Charles wrote a children’s story for his youngest brother Edward, which was later published. Presumably he didn’t go to writing classes and he composed it all himself.

If this was directed at me- all I did was ask IF she wrote all of it. Or had help. I didn’t say she didn’t. I have no idea. And I do think it’s a reasonable question. Writing is a skill. Not everyone has it. Not everyone can just up and write a good children’s book all on their own. People have and do take classes for it. Not everyone does, of course. I am well aware of that. I just asked.

I have no knowledge about Charles. Saying Charles presumably did something on his own doesn’t prove anything about Meghan’s ability to do likewise. I don’t know. Maybe they’re both highly skilled children’s writers. Could be. It was just a thought that I wondered about.

Last edited:
So Meghan can't write about her son and husband's relationship because she doesn't have one with her father? Well that is interesting because I would assume many people on this planet wouldn't be able to do the same under that criteria.

It is actually quite pathetic. I get people dislike Meghan but they really need to stop dragging innocent people because they want to attack her.

She issued a statement tweet. It is a shame she had to do it because the tabloids were bombarding her. This happened with others in the past too.
Indeed, Ms Averiss may have welcomed the publicity for her own book as this may increase sales for her.:D

Well now she has written a book to celebrate the link between child and father.
A bit strange considering she doesn't see her father any more and Harry doesn't see his too !
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14852232/meghan-markle-childrens-book-dodgy-ground/

I have to agree with you that I found Meghan's new book on father and child relationship "a bit strange", given that both Harry & Meghan's relationship with their fathers are currently strained to say the least. Perhaps the phrase "inspired by her own husband and son" was the main reason I found it odd. I just hope Charles and the Royal Family is not dragged into the book both explicitly and implicitly.

However, these relationship strains do not necessary stop authors/artists from writing or releasing projects focusing on "father-and-child plot", whether it's creative or based on real events. It kind of depends how they express the father/children relationship. As to the plagiarism debate, there has been a lot of children's book written about the father and children's relationship.

Reading through the description or book introduction on the Archewell website, I could definitely see Meghan going down a more "progressive" view rather than traditional, especially with the words "modern" or "diverse".

In terms of Meghan using "Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex", it just reminds me of Sarah, Duchess of York capitalising her connection to the royal family (or royal title), which is essentially the golden ticket in getting book contracts and better book sales. Both equally tacky in my opinion. Similar could be said for Princess Michael of Kent.

P.s. I understand that I'm quite late to the discussion

Last edited:
So Meghan can't write about her son and husband's relationship because she doesn't have one with her father? Well that is interesting because I would assume many people on this planet wouldn't be able to do the same under that criteria.

I will bet cash that the vast majority of people on the planet have a relationship with their parents, even if they don't always like them much.

I'm sure it is a sweet book, which she wrote herself but then subjected to editing by a professional (as most writers do).

As I've understood it, her inspiration is Harry's relationship with Archie. Are you suggesting that people who don't have a (good) relationship with their own parent can't be good parents themselves?
No, I’m not suggesting that at all. But of all the topics in the world she could have written a children’s book about, she chose one that because of her personal history is tone-deaf.

I would love to see her use her personal history to write a children’s book about being biracial. There are numerous books out there - some good, some not so much - but this is something she could use her celebrity to talk about. And she has talked about it as an adult quite well, I think. As someone who counsels young children, I’ve worked with many bi/multiracial students whose concept of themselves is confused and/or they see themselves as “less than” somehow and struggle with fitting in (see this particularly in 4th and 5th grade girls). Bibliotherapy is very powerful for children; I think she could do a lot of good writing something like this.

When she and Harry got married, both my bi or multiracial girls as well as African-American girls were like “wow, she’s like us and now she’s a princess!” I work with a group of 5th grade girls that we call GEM (Girls EMpowered); Women United (part of United Way) helps to arrange speakers to encourage girls to think about possibilities and to provide them with role models. This is so powerful and I know Meghan has done things similar about empowering girls. But a well written book would be awesome.:flowers:

Perhaps someone from Women United could approach Meghan to speak to the young girls you work with? It’s been reported that she has said that if this book sells then she will write others. So Meghan May end up writing a book on being biracial.

Well, this surely never happened, Harry saying good bye or hello leaving or homecoming from military deployment. Makes no sense at all, to include this in the story or only the illustrations but to hold up their highly unrealistic view on life.
Wow, will be interesting to see how REAL soldiers react to this, feeling mocked by a prince who cannot cope being taken away his honorary military ranks etc , but still acting as if he had an importance to men on duty being deployed/ or in combat?
As far as my husband is considered, he lifted an eyebrow when I showed him the illustration.
But of course it is too early to judge, we will see like always. But honestly, I doubt Harry will be cheered by any military personel IF this turns out as weird as it looks now.

They really seem to have talent getting things worse, but as long as the cashflow is all right don't care.

Harry did not know Meghan during his military service. It's strange to illustrate Harry as a returning war hero to his wife and child, when he was not even married then

Last edited:
Perhaps someone from Women United could approach Meghan to speak to the young girls you work with? It’s been reported that she has said that if this book sells then she will write others. So Meghan May end up writing a book on being biracial.
That’s a thought. As you probably know, United Way is a non-profit group worldwide that is the “umbrella” for decision making for how local groups sponsored by United Way receive funding, among other things. Groups such as Big Brothers Big Sisters and Meals on Wheels, for example. So the group I work with is at the county level in my state - so think small. :flowers:

There is a Women United Global Leadership Council, however, and I’m sure there is a county Women’s United group in Montecito or Santa Barbara - not sure of California counties.

No, I’m not suggesting that at all. But of all the topics in the world she could have written a children’s book about, she chose one that because of her personal history is tone-deaf.

I would love to see her use her personal history to write a children’s book about being biracial. There are numerous books out there - some good, some not so much - but this is something she could use her celebrity to talk about. And she has talked about it as an adult quite well, I think. As someone who counsels young children, I’ve worked with many bi/multiracial students whose concept of themselves is confused and/or they see themselves as “less than” somehow and struggle with fitting in (see this particularly in 4th and 5th grade girls). Bibliotherapy is very powerful for children; I think she could do a lot of good writing something like this.

When she and Harry got married, both my bi or multiracial girls as well as African-American girls were like “wow, she’s like us and now she’s a princess!” I work with a group of 5th grade girls that we call GEM (Girls EMpowered); Women United (part of United Way) helps to arrange speakers to encourage girls to think about possibilities and to provide them with role models. This is so powerful and I know Meghan has done things similar about empowering girls. But a well written book would be awesome.:flowers:

Only you are when you're insinuating that Meghan's relationship with her own father (or Harry's relationship with Charles) holds any relevance in terms of the subject of this book.

I agree, however, that her writing a children's book about being biracial would be great and very impactful.

Harry did not know Meghan during his military service. It's strange to illustrate Harry as a returning war hero to his wife and child, when he was not even married then

...He isn't being illustrated as such.

Thank you for that information, Royalist. I’d just investigate the possibility that she might come down, or speak by Zoom, would be interesting to see.

Well, this surely never happened, Harry saying good bye or hello leaving or homecoming from military deployment. Makes no sense at all, to include this in the story or only the illustrations but to hold up their highly unrealistic view on life.
Wow, will be interesting to see how REAL soldiers react to this, feeling mocked by a prince who cannot cope being taken away his honorary military ranks etc , but still acting as if he had an importance to men on duty being deployed/ or in combat?
As far as my husband is considered, he lifted an eyebrow when I showed him the illustration.
But of course it is too early to judge, we will see like always. But honestly, I doubt Harry will be cheered by any military personel IF this turns out as weird as it looks now.

They really seem to have talent getting things worse, but as long as the cashflow is all right don't care.

What is this about the portrayal of the military? I missed this somehow.

Prince Harry is a REAL soldier who served in combat for two tours in Afghanistan, for ten years. And since we haven't read the book yet, we don't know who is illustrated as the American soldier with his son, just like we do not know who is illustrated as the African man with his son.

Last edited:
I think we should remember that the book is *inspired* by her husband and son...it is not intending to be an autobiography...

They don't send round the truancy officer if dukes don't turn up to the Coronation! The Duke of Windsor didn't attend George VI's coronation, because obviously it would have been pretty awkward. I think this is all hypothetical because I can't see Harry becoming a US citizen, but, if it was that much of an issue, he could just miss the Coronation ... causing even more awkwardness ...

You are correct, first of all he needs to be invited, secondly if it is the large event like the Queens there will be a huge number of guests who will not take the oath because they will not be British or from the commonwealth.

Although there are basic differences between the Duke of Windsor and Harry , there is one huge , IMO, similarity, and that is that the Duke of Windsor believed that he could come back to live in the UK with Wallis as his wife, make his own rules.
He like Harry wanted the good bits, but not the work.
He like Harry wanted a home, money and a lifestyle, he wanted his own court. It didn't happen then or now.

I know Harry and Meghan didn't want to live here on a permanent basis but they did want to pick and chose what they did.

Last edited:
Meghan's written a book and it will be published. More power to her. I cannot say whether or not the book will be a success or not. Children's books are not something I'm in the market for and I buy books for content and not the author's name. It tells me though that she hasn't been sitting at home eating bon bons and watching soap operas. She's been making constructive use of her time and doing something that she had an inspiration for. I can't fault that.

I just hope she's not thinking it's going to make a best seller list because of her previous success with the Hubb Kitchen cookbook, "Together". The success of that book was astronomical.

I would say that Thomas Markle has a bad relationship with Meghan since he did not return her phone calls or Harry's phone calls. And then he goes to the media to criticize her and admitted he got money for it all. I understand he has not seen any of his other grandchildren of late. He could have made the right decision and gone to the wedding instead of being photographed trying on the suit by the media, he even admitted on his TV special that he got paid for it. From this, I wonder what sort of man would do this to one of his children. It is not known what really went on between Harry and Charles. There are two sides. It is generational apparently since Charles did not exactly win rave reviews for his depiction of his father in his authorized biography by Jonathan Dimbleby. It caused quite the stir but the two did make up. So I don't think one can say definitively that Harry and Charles relationship is "destroyed."

After having seen what has been posted here about a book noone has read so far apart from the info the publisher gave out on request:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1620229791

...."having a father" is part of our common subconsciousness and no matter how the real life relationship has been, an artist can use this and create his or her own story. Or does a novelist have to have lived through the turmoils of their heroes and villains to be a believable writer with a true message? We call the content of invented or "inspired by"-writing "fiction" for a reason - even if it's "just for children".

...Yes, I know, Meghan should not have lied about what had happened to her when living as a member of the Royal family, but is that the reason she can't write a positive book for children when she was inspired by a father and his son she loves?

I have to agree with you that I found Meghan's new book on father and child relationship "a bit strange", given that both Harry & Meghan's relationship with their fathers are currently strained to say the least. Perhaps the phrase "inspired by her own husband and son" was the main reason I found it odd. I just hope Charles and the Royal Family is not dragged into the book both explicitly and implicitly.
It's not the first time they focus on something that they are clearly really bad at themselves. For example, Harry is championed for Mental Health after explaining to the world he has no clue how to deal with it. So, Meghan writing about father-son relationships after severing ties with both her own father and her husband's fits right in with them championing their own weaknesses.

Both Harry AND Meghan were part of that interview. Harry was the one to criticize Charles not Meghan. So why is he not the one criticized but Meghan is accused of "lying." Unless some were "there" with her, how is it known? It is more he said she said sort of thing. Also why is Meghan accused of "severing" ties with her father when he was invited to the wedding? I think Harry and Meghan tried very hard to get him to the wedding, even hiring a car to call for him and taking him to the airport. I don't get why HE is considered blameless. The tipping point for me is when he started badmouthing Meghan on TV and admitted he got money for going to the media. That is a major Deal Breaker IMO.

Only you are when you're insinuating that Meghan's relationship with her own father (or Harry's relationship with Charles) holds any relevance in terms of the subject of this book.

The original poster is correct to say that they did not suggest what you asked about in their original post.

I do think it is incredibly tone-deaf and mind boggling that she would choose to write a book on father - son relationships given that she helped Harry throw his own father under the bus and she herself hasn’t seen her own father in 3 years.

There was a lot of fuss about sexism when it was announced that Mrs Michael Tindall, rather than Mrs Zara Tindall, had given birth to her second child, but the announcement was officially correct! Even a widow would officially be Mrs John Smith.

Have replied here.

Last edited:
Both Harry AND Meghan were part of that interview. Harry was the one to criticize Charles not Meghan. So why is he not the one criticized but Meghan is accused of "lying." Unless some were "there" with her, how is it known? It is more he said she said sort of thing. Also why is Meghan accused of "severing" ties with her father when he was invited to the wedding? I think Harry and Meghan tried very hard to get him to the wedding, even hiring a car to call for him and taking him to the airport. I don't get why HE is considered blameless. The tipping point for me is when he started badmouthing Meghan on TV and admitted he got money for going to the media. That is a major Deal Breaker IMO.

I wonder if Charles and the rest of the family see the Oprah interview as a major deal breaker.
Going on tv and bad mouthing your family whom you know will not be able to respond.
Do you think that might be their tipping point.

However, Tom Markle did get paid for the interviews and freely admitted it. It does not alleviate that Tom was not exactly father of the year. I think eventually like the time Charles criticized his parents to Dimbleby , time will heal this current situation.

Who exactly is giving a free pass to Harry, here? I have seen numerous posts about how they couldn't even get the timing of the alleged racist comment right. Regarding the Archie and Prince comment, Meghan was the one who made it. So, yes, she is the only one who is going to get the flak for blatantly lying.

I wonder if Charles and the rest of the family see the Oprah interview as a major deal breaker.
Going on tv and bad mouthing your family whom you know will not be able to respond.
Do you think that might be their tipping point.

What's the deal breaker for Thomas Markle is definitely going to be the deal breaker for H&M. In fact, it's already broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom