The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omar Scobie is out there saying Meghan wanted to go to the funeral [...]

Where did he say / imply that? The only quotes from him I can find are holding the party line that Meghan wanted to come but her physician didn’t give her medical clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if she authorised him to say anything this time or he's just trying to fan the flames on his own to keep himself relevant. but it's not unexpected. That's why I was glad the official statement included the words "on medical advice".

I can't believe Meghan really wants to go to the funeral. Maybe she would like to support her husband but she's very pregnant, with a toddler at home, on a transatlantic flight, having to quarantine and present a united front with a family she clearly doesn't like or respect very much, many of whom are probably very upset with her. It's just better for all parties that she stayed at home and left the family to get through this without her.

Honestly, I would bet very, very good money that anything that comes out of Scobie's mouth regarding Meghan and Harry, or even the RF in general, has been explicitly authorized by one or both of them. Reason being, they've quite simply been his meal ticket and they're certainly what he's made his name on. Before latching onto them he was nowhere near the household name he is now and he's not going to want to jeopardize his access to them by saying or doing anything that they might take issue with.

However, I will say that it's very, very interesting that Scobie is out this morning talking about the fact that William's statement was not a dig at Harry, we have to remember that William is a future head of state, their statements are simply reflective of who they are and aren't digs at each other, etc. when he's generally the first of the lapdogs to scream about everything being "implied digs" or "subtle snark" toward Meghan and Harry.

Honestly, I would bet very, very good money that anything that comes out of Scobie's mouth regarding Meghan and Harry, or even the RF in general, has been explicitly authorized by one or both of them. Reason being, they've quite simply been his meal ticket and they're certainly what he's made his name on. Before latching onto them he was nowhere near the household name he is now and he's not going to want to jeopardize his access to them by saying or doing anything that they might take issue with.

However, I will say that it's very, very interesting that Scobie is out this morning talking about the fact that William's statement was not a dig at Harry, we have to remember that William is a future head of state, their statements are simply reflective of who they are and aren't digs at each other, etc. when he's generally the first of the lapdogs to scream about everything being "implied digs" or "subtle snark" toward Meghan and Harry.

Omid was introduced as a "friend of Meghan's" in his interview so I think we're supposed to assume everything he said is "true"/authorised and I think it has been.

There seems to be a lot of "Meghan wants to move forward, she loved Phillip" stuff going on in the last few hours.

[...] he's definitely pushing "she really wanted to come but simply couldn't for medical reasons" on the GMB video and there are more quotes from "friends of Meghan" (obviously take with a large grain of salt) that she wanted to come and was able to fly but she was worried about taking all the attention away from PP if she did.

I think Scobie/Meghan may have realised trying to complain about digs wouldn't get them very far this week and it's better to claim unite and that the horrible things they said and were themselves very upset about is in the past and of course she's with the family 100%. In a month's time, who knows.

In my mind, this has Sunshine Sachs writtn all over it!

Agreed entirely.

Omid was introduced as a "friend of Meghan's" in his interview so I think we're supposed to assume everything he said is "true"/authorised and I think it has been.

There seems to be a lot of "Meghan wants to move forward, she loved Phillip" stuff going on in the last few hours.

[...] he's definitely pushing "she really wanted to come but simply couldn't for medical reasons" on the GMB video and there are more quotes from "friends of Meghan" (obviously take with a large grain of salt) that she wanted to come and was able to fly but she was worried about taking all the attention away from PP if she did.

I think Scobie/Meghan may have realised trying to complain about digs wouldn't get them very far this week and it's better to claim unite and that the horrible things they said and were themselves very upset about is in the past and of course she's with the family 100%. In a month's time, who knows.

I agree entirely that we can pretty much bank on anything that Scobie says or has said having the seal of approval. Whether what he says has always been the solid truth or not is a point we could argue till doomsday but I would agree that it's certainly had the okay. There's most definitely two different versions of current events floating around. One coming from Scobie's mouth, the other from unnamed "friends" but one thing is certain, past events have shown us that when it comes to Harry and Meghan, oftentimes friends both named and unnamed have been authorized to act as unofficial mouthpieces. I think Muriel probably hit the nail on the head when she stated that this seems to have the Sunshine Sachs fingerprints all over it in regard to the unnamed friends and those statements but I'd go a bit further and say that all of this has the fingerprints of Sunshine Sachs all over it. From the comments about William's statement not being a dig to the comments about the family coming together in their grief to the cloudiness over the whole "was it doctor's orders or a deliberate choice to not be the center of attention" and onto the whole "Meghan deigns to forgive the RF" and is ready to move on headlines we're seeing. It definitely all has the air of a PR push to counteract the negative headlines of the past few weeks and the "what will they do if he dies" headlines around the interview that left still-smoking ruins in its wake.

I told her how I felt, too - though politely. I generally think she’s very good, so I was surprised that she went there.
I just read her article and I agree with you Betsypaige. It was unnecessary and thank you for sharing your thoughts with the author.

Wanting to move forward AFTER washing your dirty laundry in public, doesn't seem to be a good strategy. It would have been much better to try to do so INSTEAD OF washing your dirty laundry in public.

Makes me think of a recent exchange in the Dutch parliament after the PM had publicly been caught lying about a serious issue in the coalition formation process: The PM angrily said to the other party leader that "if they were serious about repairing the trust issue, all of you should believe what we said, that could be the start of normal political relations." to which one of the other political leaders quipped: "I would like to mark that it wasn't me who disrupted the political relations."

Almost every single front page in the UK today had analysis of "two very different statements" and I can't entirely blame them after the last few months. Although some seem to agree it's just different personalities.

I think Muriel probably hit the nail on the head when she stated that this seems to have the Sunshine Sachs fingerprints all over it in regard to the unnamed friends and those statements but I'd go a bit further and say that all of this has the fingerprints of Sunshine Sachs all over it. From the comments about William's statement not being a dig to the comments about the family coming together in their grief to the cloudiness over the whole "was it doctor's orders or a deliberate choice to not be the center of attention" and onto the whole "Meghan deigns to forgive the RF" and is ready to move on headlines we're seeing. It definitely all has the air of a PR push to counteract the negative headlines of the past few weeks and the "what will they do if he dies" headlines around the interview that left still-smoking ruins in its wake.

Probably true. I don't imagine they were close or at least as close as today's spin is claiming. They so often go over board one way or the other in their PR. I can see why they'd want to counteract a lot of the negativity but "she was really close to him she 100% wants to be there it's just that she's pregnant and too famous" is making me roll my eyes a bit, even if I assume she might want to support Harry there.

And don't get me started on the "Meghan forgives them" quotes.

I acknowledge that this is undoubtedly a very difficult week for Harry for a number of reasons.

Wanting to move forward AFTER washing your dirty laundry in public, doesn't seem to be a good strategy. It would have been much better to try to do so INSTEAD OF washing your dirty laundry in public.

Makes me think of a recent exchange in the Dutch parliament after the PM had publicly been caught lying about a serious issue in the coalition formation process: The PM angrily said to the other party leader that "if they were not serious about repairing the trust issue, all of you should believe what we said, that could be the start of normal political relations." to which one of the other political leaders quipped: "I would like to mark that it wasn't me who disrupted the political relations."

I hate to say it but after the Oprah interview, I believe Meghan feels that she is on the moral high ground and would be generous to forgive the royal family. But this current PR push is due to a realization that it will look bad if she and Harry were visibly supporting the Queen at this time. There are reports that senior royals will be appearing more frequently with the Queen in public - and that will not include Harry and Meghan. If they are not more public in standing with the Queen, they will become more and more irrelevant to the British people.

Moreover, I think there is a growing realization that the Queen will not live forever and they won't be able to count on her to protect them from retaliation. I feel that both she and Harry (probably correctly) believe that Charles will be a pushover - Charles desperately wants his sons to love him. However, William is not a pushover. I believe the reports that he wanted to respond to the criticism of Catherine. William and Catherine will have a lot of influence going forward. I suspect that we are going to hear a lot more about Harry and Meghan's generous decision to forgive the royal family in the upcoming months.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but after the Oprah interview, I believe Meghan feels that she is on the moral high ground and would be generous to forgive the royal family. But this current PR push is due to a realization that it will look bad if she and Harry were visibly supporting the Queen at this time. There are reports that senior royals will be appearing more frequently with the Queen in public - and that will not include Harry and Meghan. If they are not more public in standing with the Queen, they will become more and more irrelevant to the British people.
Why would it look bad if she and Harry were visibly supporting the Queen? I know it would look bad to me but I was left with the impression that I'm in the minority. Also, I don't get the senior royals part. Surely it would look good for Harry and Meghan's royal "status" if they're seen with the Queen in public, even if in not so official settings, as the lockdown rules get relaxed?

Why would it look bad if she and Harry were visibly supporting the Queen? I know it would look bad to me but I was left with the impression that I'm in the minority. Also, I don't get the senior royals part. Surely it would look good for Harry and Meghan's royal "status" if they're seen with the Queen in public, even if in not so official settings, as the lockdown rules get relaxed?

I agree and didn't mean to imply that it would look bad if she and Harry were visibly supporting the Queen. I think they know it would look bad, which is why we are now hearing that Meghan is ready to forgive. They were hoping for some public penance but since that is probably not going to happen, they are going to declare victory anyway.

I suspect that we will see Harry and Meghan at as many public events (i.e. Trooping of the Color) as possible. When the restrictions are lifted, I see them spending the summer at Balmoral and Christmas and other holidays with the Queen. They will be as high profile as possible.

ETA - I corrected the typo in my original post.

Last edited:
Here we are...apparently Scobie was on GMB. There's video within the link of his interview.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ip-not-dig-Harry-says-friend-Omid-Scobie.html

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/13/harr...fferences-aside-for-philips-funeral-14401720/

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...obe-Prince-William-Prince-Harry-row-GMB-video

This interview does quite clearly push the positive PR spin from Meghan and Harry, the "it's not a dig" about William's statement, the unity of the family in their grief, etc.

I wonder how Harry feels and how he'll feel at the funeral as a royal. No some celeb-like in California. Will he realise that he chose to lose the one of the highest possible status? Life he maybe didn't want but now sees what it's like.
It's very wise Meghan isn't there. It would have been awkward and paparazzis would probably attack her. This funeral also shows she simply doesn't fit in with the royal family. She'll be back in the UK for sure but it's clear for me it'd be awkward, she'd need to stuck to one narrative. Harry got quite a warm welcome. Meghan would be hated and a stranger.

A post containing unsubstantiated claims has created confusion. Many of you have rightly asked for a source. The source that was suggested by helpful posters did not contain anything supporting the initial claim.

This original wild claim has been removed as it is not advisable for TRF to become a parallel universe where ill-intentioned hearsay is treated as fact. Several posts had to be edited or deleted due to the confusion that was created.

This thread is now reopened

Last edited:
I just read her article and I agree with you Betsypaige. It was unnecessary and thank you for sharing your thoughts with the author.

You’re welcome ! Phil Dampier and Rebecca English did the same thing...it’s ridiculous.

Katie Nicholl, who I like, was on some radio program going on and in about how maybe this is a chance for William and Harry to start mending their rift. It bugged me how she ignored that she gave Harry’s relationship short shrift - there’s a rift there that needs mending, too. She’s right that people will be trying to read faces behind the masks, but even if they could, I think that’s a shame; I wish people could just focus on the grieving family.

When Charles and his sons (Charles likely in the middle) walk behind the coffin, that will be so emotional...

I think he would stay by himself not at William and Kate's. The children are also there and Harry needs to quarantine.

You’re welcome ! Phil Dampier and Rebecca English did the same thing...it’s ridiculous.

Katie Nicholl, who I like, was on some radio program going on and in about how maybe this is a chance for William and Harry to start mending their rift. It bugged me how she ignored that she gave Harry’s relationship short shrift - there’s a rift there that needs mending, too. She’s right that people will be trying to read faces behind the masks, but even if they could, I think that’s a shame; I wish people could just focus on the grieving family.

When Charles and his sons (Charles likely in the middle) walk behind the coffin, that will be so emotional...

I agree with you but I think Charles will walk with his siblings behind the coffin. The grandchildren will walk behind.

I think he would stay by himself not at William and Kate's. The children are also there and Harry needs to quarantine.
The Cambridges are reportedly in Norfolk for the Easter school break with the next term beginning on April 20th. So I doubt Prince Harry would have considered traveling to Norfolk and would have understandably stayed closer to London or Windsor. Reportedly he is lodging at Frogmore Cottage for now.

I read that it’s Charles, William and Harry will walk together ...

I don't think anyone knows at this point; it is all speculation. And in any case, they would need to keep their distance from each other; while they don't need to keep their distance from their wives.

Here we are...apparently Scobie was on GMB. There's video within the link of his interview.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ip-not-dig-Harry-says-friend-Omid-Scobie.html

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/13/harr...fferences-aside-for-philips-funeral-14401720/

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...obe-Prince-William-Prince-Harry-row-GMB-video

This interview does quite clearly push the positive PR spin from Meghan and Harry, the "it's not a dig" about William's statement, the unity of the family in their grief, etc.

Thanks for posting.

Both speakers are under labouring under the misapprehension that this is solely a family matter. It isn't. The reputation of the British monarchy & the UK have been tarnished by h&m's interview. The damage is serious & probably long lasting. These are real world consequences & go far beyond a family tiff.

The uncomfortable reality for Harry Windsor is that Prince Philip's reputation was traduced for hours on social media after the interview until Winfrey made it public that he was not the individual concerned.

Last edited:
Almost every single front page in the UK today had analysis of "two very different statements" and I can't entirely blame them after the last few months. Although some seem to agree it's just different personalities.

Probably true. I don't imagine they were close or at least as close as today's spin is claiming. They so often go over board one way or the other in their PR. I can see why they'd want to counteract a lot of the negativity but "she was really close to him she 100% wants to be there it's just that she's pregnant and too famous" is making me roll my eyes a bit, even if I assume she might want to support Harry there.

And don't get me started on the "Meghan forgives them" quotes.

I acknowledge that this is undoubtedly a very difficult week for Harry for a number of reasons.

Where was the "Meghan forgives them "quotes?

I saw it in the Daily Mail, in the article about Meghan not wanting to draw attention to herself, according to her friends. I don't know if it's repeated in any reputable sources.

The quote can be found in the link in the post below.
Oh, goodness. It really might be a good idea for Meghan to ask her friends to stop speaking to the press, especially right now. This article raises a whole myriad of questions that will now be dissected much in the same vein as the Oprah train wreck. It really was not a good idea to allow her friends to tell the press that Meghan left it up to Harry whether or not she would attend when a statement had already gone out that was perfectly reasonable and acceptable that it was on a doctor’s order. Combine that with some of the other things shared by this friend and I’d say that on the whole, the “friend” really did her no favors. Saying something to the effect of “Meghan advised that the family should come together” really doesn’t come across well. Granted, we can’t know for sure that this is all completely true but given past track records the chances are good that it’s somewhat accurate.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-duke-edinburgh-prince-harry-Royal-Family/amp

"Meghan deigns to forgive the RF"

I believe that this is 100% reversed and it should be the BRF that forgives H & M (if they can). Yes, Meghan deigns to forgive is laughable. She has nothing to forgive them for as they have not done anything wrong. Just my opinion.

And for the person that said that Charles is likely a pushover, agree with that too but William will be a lot more front and center here on in and he is not going to be a pushover.

"Meghan deigns to forgive the RF"

I believe that this is 100% reversed and it should be the BRF that forgives H & M (if they can). Yes, Meghan deigns to forgive is laughable. She has nothing to forgive them for as they have not done anything wrong. Just my opinion.

I agree but I think the "Meghan forgives the royal family" as a face saving way to move forward. The family has not capitulated and is not likely to do so. I don't think Harry wants a rift with his family and Meghan loves him. I believe they will take credit for the palace instituting diversity training. I think they are going to start making appearances, like the Trooping of the Color, with the Queen and arrange to spend a lot of time visiting her in the UK.

I agree but I think the "Meghan forgives the royal family" as a face saving way to move forward. The family has not capitulated and is not likely to do so. I don't think Harry wants a rift with his family and Meghan loves him. I believe they will take credit for the palace instituting diversity training. I think they are going to start making appearances, like the Trooping of the Color, with the Queen and arrange to spend a lot of time visiting her in the UK.

A genuine question.

Why do you think this? Is the enormity of the damage from their interview not understood in the US perhaps? After all the US media seem extraordinarily one sided in their opinion.

Can we not call Charles a pushover? Harry is his SON, of course he’s not going to want to inflame the situation. He’s pretty clearly not happy with him over the interview, and if it’s true he didn’t take calls from Harry for a brief time, that’s an indication he’s not pushover.

Sibling relationships are often fraught, and sometimes they’re never good...Sometimes they’re merely ok, and sometimes they turn sour. It’s completely different with parents and children. Assuming we’re talking about a good parent, not one who pushes his or her children away due to abuse, etc..... - that parent will do almost anything to keep their connection. This has nothing to do with Charles and William’s personalities.

That may be their intent as of this moment, but it doesn't really solve anything for them. I don't think anyone seriously believes they thought they were doing the world in general a favor by dishing about the royals on Oprah. They did it because their business model (such as it is) requires them to stay in the headlines. That hasn't changed, nor has the fact that it will be difficult for them to stay in the headlines long-term without continuing to dish about the royals in the media. But if they keep that up, they aren't going to be doing things like Trooping of the Colour and vacationing with the Queen, because there will still be a rift. If Harry wants the pseudo-part-time-royal thing to happen, he's going to need to make some lifestyle compromises, and he's going to need to persuade Meghan to go along with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom