The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, professional he is NOT in this podcast. I don’t think that will go over well in business in the US. Dax Shepherd is an actor and certainly not A list. But his wife Kristin Bell is. Dax just got publicity for his podcast - I’ve never even heard of it before. So I’m sure Dax is happy about that. :whistling:

Especially H's extensive use of expletives, it's just not done here

That's why it's not a simple matter of removing Harry's titles. They remove Harry's (for whatever reason), it opens up a can of worms for removing titles and styles all over the place. This is not something Parliament would want to do and set a precedent going into the future. It just couldn't be done to legally remove a title from one person and just leave it at that no matter what the court of public opinion calls for. If they go after Harry's, the questions will be asked "Why not Andrew's? Or the Earl of Strathmore?"

I think that, considering all of the issues HM's government is dealing with now, spending time on the titles of second-tier Royals is a non-starter.

There are many other ways to signal a loss of status. No more free postage for things mailed in the UK. No support from the local British consulate. No special treatment from British Airways ... the list can go on and on.
as detailed in books by and about Diana and Fergie, the indignities were fast and furious when their respective marriages crumbled.

He's really incredibly judgmental about choices other people make....he's rather self-centered.

Someone reminded me of a comment Katherine McPhee made awhile back about how her husband is a father figure to Harry........It means a lot more now than it did then.

It seems to me that Harry is good at pretending. If he's as angry at his father as he sounds, with the comments he's made about how Charles has treated him all these years, then he sure as heck put on a good act since he was a kid. There have been reports of strained relations between them, like with Charles and William, but really nothing overly serious....and for the most part, Harry sure hid his anger well. If he could do all that, if he could sound loving when he spoke about his pa, than he could do the same when he went out on his engagements.
I think he was was genuinely positive towards Charles until the Bank of Dad closed. The same way he couldn’t believe no one else would pay for his security because he was born to it and entitled - remember how he came across with Oprah? The same way he thinks he is entitled to continue to be bankrolled by Charles. He comes across as incredibly entitled to me - maybe he was truly spoiled rotten and has just never grown up and is spitting fire and venom because he is now expected to act like the adult that he is not.

Is noone a little shocked by this? I honestly am. I wasn't his biggest fan.. for the past few years.. but I tried to give credit where it was due and thought that he did have at heart a genuine caring for people less fortunate than himself. And now he is saying he didn't want to do this part of the work, presumably he didn't care much about people... and only did it as part of his job.. and all the dancing with people and hugging and playing nice guy was all an Act?

I’m not shocked. I remember thinking highly of Harry when he was in the armed forces, but even then I wasn’t sure where his reputation as a big hearted, genuinely compassionate guy came from. Even for, oh, a couple of years before he met Meghan I was finding it increasingly difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt. A turning point for me was when Harry spoke about walking in his mother’s funeral procession and said something to the effect of there was no way in hell he would have put someone so young in that position. I remember finding it shocking that he would take such an obvious public swipe at his father and grandparents (clearly those were more innocent times!) but also thinking he came across as the opposite of the grounded and compassionate person he was supposed to be. And to me, compassion isn’t something you can turn off and on, because compassion requires empathy and true empathy comes from maturity. Which isn’t to say that people can’t have bad days or go through periods in their lives where they’re too overwhelmed with their own issues to be able to give much to others. But I don’t think it’s possible for an adult to be truly compassionate and empathetic with strangers while at the same time be completely lacking in the ability to bring those qualities to bear in his relationship with his family.

But I also think that Harry and Meghan have embraced the Kardashian financial plan, which involves saying whatever they think will get them the most attention, in order to maximize their financial gain. And Harry also likely needs to convince himself his former life was terrible, in order to justify the choices he’s making in his current life.

I'm not shocked. It's becoming increasing clear that Harry has no regard for anyone but himself.

-Sees people in dire circumstance. Then pities himself because they're "free"

-People come to see him at engagements because they hold him in high regard. Then he pities himself because he doesn't want to be there, and puts on fake smile.

-Waxes on about his own mental health and how people weren't sensitive enough to him. While throwing grenades at his family that will effect their mental health.

- Is grateful that Meghan got him mental health treatment when HE needed it. But when Meghan needed it, he didn't help because her struggles embarrassed HIM.

-Talks about his concern for celebrity children -mostly himself as a child and Archie who he sees as (Harry's son "Harrison"). While bragging about his friendship with Orlando Bloom who is doing a parody show on Prince George.

-Talks about his childhood trauma. Then when the host tells his much more traumatic story, it doesn't make an impression on Harry who compares it to a comedy movie, then returns to talking about himself.

This podcast was quite the display of self-obsession.

He definitely comes across as an entitled , spoiled brat who was never told "No" in his life or had that "No" actually stick . And now he doesn't know how to handle that and it throwing an epic temper tantrum because Daddy cut him off that the age of 36 .

I think he was was genuinely positive towards Charles until the Bank of Dad closed. The same way he couldn’t believe no one else would pay for his security because he was born to it and entitled - remember how he came across with Oprah? The same way he thinks he is entitled to continue to be bankrolled by Charles. He comes across as incredibly entitled to me - maybe he was truly spoiled rotten and has just never grown up and is spitting fire and venom because he is now expected to act like the adult that he is not.

I know I’ve said this before, but I think his insecurity over being “the spare”, his annoyance that William has been “given” things or has been treated differently, has festered into an open wound. The Queen wouldn’t allow H and M to have their own court at Windsor, and Charles supported her. H wasn’t at all happy. Then Charles “cut him off” and that set H off. He’s not loved or wanted enough...so now Harry looks back at his entire childhood through angry eyes and he sees his father in a new light. That’s why all of a sudden he doesn’t remember riding bikes with him, why he wasn’t well-treated, etc...

I know I’ve said this before, but I think his insecurity over being “the spare”, his annoyance that William has been “given” things or has been treated differently, has festered into an open wound. The Queen wouldn’t allow H and M to have their own court at Windsor, and Charles supported her. H wasn’t at all happy. Then Charles “cut him off” and that set H off. He’s not loved or wanted enough...so now Harry looks back at his entire childhood through angry eyes and he sees his father in a new light. That’s why all of a sudden he doesn’t remember riding bikes with him, why he wasn’t well-treated, etc...

I sort of understand that .
Bit of a detour . I don't have a memory of my biological father because my mother left him when I was 2 due to his developing drinking problem . She later married my stepfather who prefered his biological children . My bio dad then died when I was 14 and the stepfather died when I was 22. During my entire childhood I wasn't interested in my biological father because I was trying to get stepdaddy to love me and I also felt it would be disloyal behaviour but I also found excuses for my bio father's absence in my life . He lived far far far away in Berlin , there is no way he could realistically made the journey to visit me ( he paid child support so it wasn't like he was completely out of the picture ) . Then I moved to Berlin to go to university . Now I was regularly driving home , around 5 hours by car . Easily done . And then it hit me, my POS sperm donor couldn't even be arsed to drive 5 hours ( even less so by train ) to visit his only child . And then I felt totally rejected . And it was the moment when my fantasy of father and daughter being kept apart by distance and bad circumstances broke apart . It wasn't distance or my stepfather or any other scenarios I had developed . It was simply that I wasn't improtant enough , or at least not more important than alcohol .
At least I never got a platform to throw my mother under the bus because for a while I blamed her for leaving , blamed her for marrying , blamed her for not leaving again .

I just finished (with difficulty) listening to the podcast, did anybody else catch H when he stated that he did not get any special treatment in Afghanistan, when it's public knowledge that he was always protected by bodyguards?

edit: last thing, does anybody else think that "Me you can't see" is plagiarizing on "Call Me by Your Name"?
edit: I mean the title

Last edited:
Bodyguards weren’t with Harry in the Apache helicopters he flew. There wouldn’t have been room, especially when they were transporting the wounded and medical orderlies.

Harry also slept in some strange makeshift accommodation in hill forts in his first stint in Afghanistan and ate, drank and slept in the same quarters as other officers and men. There is plenty to criticise Harry for but his war service in Afghanistan isn’t one of them.

Harry said,
"I don't want to start going down the First Amendment route because that's a huge subject and one which I don't understand because I've only been here a short time, but you can find a loophole in anything."

Does he realize that his caustic comments about BRF parenting were broadcasted and published because of the First Amendment? I can think of a few kingdoms where such sentiments would be squashed if attempts were made to release them within the borders.

Last edited:
A few comments have been deleted. Let’s not get into a debate about Harry’s intelligence.

I’m not shocked. I remember thinking highly of Harry when he was in the armed forces, but even then I wasn’t sure where his reputation as a big hearted, genuinely compassionate guy came from. Even for, oh, a couple of years before he met Meghan I was finding it increasingly difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt. A turning point for me was when Harry spoke about walking in his mother’s funeral procession and said something to the effect of there was no way in hell he would have put someone so young in that position. I remember finding it shocking that he would take such an obvious public swipe at his father and grandparents (clearly those were more innocent times!) but also thinking he came across as the opposite of the grounded and compassionate person he was supposed to be. .

I agree that a few years back, I think before he was dating Meg, there was an uneasy "Look at me" vibe from Harry. Im not sure what it was, if he was always trying to be noticed by the public.. and he did sometimes say thins that I thought were best left unsaid. But everyone does that sometimes. And I thought that in spite of his desire to "be seen" a bit too much, there was genuine compassion for those who were less fortunate. Now from what he's saying, that was all an act...

Oof course not all royals will care that much, and many of them will have bad bored days when they have to put on their best smiles and go through with the job. But Harry and Meg have been preaching for 3 years about how they are really devoted to the charity work and serving the people... and making life better for people.
expenses.

How many people actually do get up in the morning thinking "Whoopee, I've got to go to work today"?! Do any of us actually feel "free" when we're stuck in an office, factory, shop, or whatever it is for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week? How "free" does Harry think anyone is? Life isn't like that.

How many people actually do get up in the morning thinking "Whoopee, I've got to go to work today"?! Do any of us actually feel "free" when we're stuck in an office, factory, shop, or whatever it is for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week? How "free" does Harry think anyone is? Life isn't like that.

I think he's looking at his celebrity and aristocratic friends who had trust funds or were high up enough in the entertainment industry that they could pick and choose their projects carefully and have a lot of "free time" and weren't working 9-5 or 7-11pm. Although even then there's a lot of work he didn't see.

When he's thinking "no one else I know has to do this" when visiting a homeless shelter or primary school he's thinking that half his friends are still sleeping it off after a night out. But even then most of them have to eventually get some sort of job.

We know he turned down a desk job in the Army which would have been an opportunity to be "normal" in his late 20s. And the number of engagements he actually undertook allowed him a lot of personal time even if you count in all the probable BTS work.

He and Meghan have been photographed volunteering at various places several times, and if we assume those situations weren't setups, there were probably many more places where they volunteered and it never hit the media. Plus they've done several events like the covid concert, girls' and women's empowerment panels, etc. A lot of that sounds to me like the same sort of things he'd have been doing as a royal. Is it just that he wanted to do less of it, and have more free time? Or wanted more freedom to pick the organizations and causes he worked with - more of his pet issues and fewer garden clubs? I'm not knocking either, just honestly trying to figure out what's different now in his mind, because it doesn't seem to me like much has changed in that regard.

Of course not. Thats the point. he doesn't realize what it would like to be in a low paid job, with kids to keep or having to put up with a horrible boss because you can't afford to lose your job. Other royals may not be crazy about the job, or at least they may well have days they're bored stiff, but they dont knock the job or the people they have to meet publicly, and they know that smiling and waving and being pleasant.. and turning up, is part of the work they do and that its part of the price they pay for a very well paid comfortable lifestyle....
Harry DID give teh impression that he might have his off days but that overall he did like people and he sympathised with those who were less fortunate and tried to use his influence to help them. Now it seems like he's saying "I was miserable doing that, I hated it, and I resented these people for being free, while i was trapped."

He and Meghan have been photographed volunteering at various places several times, and if we assume those situations weren't setups, there were probably many more places where they volunteered and it never hit the media. Plus they've done several events like the covid concert, girls' and women's empowerment panels, etc. A lot of that sounds to me like the same sort of things he'd have been doing as a royal. Is it just that he wanted to do less of it, and have more free time? Or wanted more freedom to pick the organizations and causes he worked with - more of his pet issues and fewer garden clubs? I'm not knocking either, just honestly trying to figure out what's different now in his mind, because it doesn't seem to me like much has changed in that regard.

the thing is that he doesn't know anything else but the army, (and he didn't stick the desk job part of that role) and apart from that all he knows is "royal duties" which involve going to charities and events and using one's name to give them a PR boost.. and occasionally doing a stint of volunteering. But IMO these trips to charities were very likely set ups. Not that he wasn't sincere but they were done partly to show that he wasn't just sitting in LA doing nothing during the pandemic. And as a "No longer working royal", of course he can talk about politics if he wants to, now and he can do whatever charity work he feels like, and there isn't the same schedule of visits and duties that he's expected to do whether he likes it or not. I think that Harry DID feel that if he stayed in the UK he might slip in a few years into "visiting a northern town to open a centre for the elderly", and not getting much press notice... like say Edward and Sophie or the Kents. and he didn't like that idea....

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what Meghan makes of all this. Unlike Harry, she has lived in the real world, and had to take what work she could get to support herself in between acting jobs, and deal with the disappointment of unsuccessful auditions.

I wonder what Meghan makes of all this. Unlike Harry, she has lived in the real world, and had to take what work she could get to support herself in between acting jobs, and deal with the disappointment of unsuccessful auditions.

To be honest I think she's right there with him. She complained about security as well and clearly wanted Archie to be an HRH Prince title. She's also hanging on to DOS with her teeth in every appearance she makes. She was the most the one most likely to have written that HIHO statement and have her friends in the press wondering why HM took the amazing Meghan on a train journey to the Mersey Bridge of all places(!). They *both* seemed upset that the monarchy didn't bend to the bright stars that were the Sussexes and change everything.

She's also the one who in FF couldn't understand why Kate didn't drop everything and rush to meet her BIL's new girlfriend in a 100 mile journey from Norfolk to London despite the fact that Kate had 2 small children and a busy life etc.

She has more experience in the real world and appears more savvy but everything points to the idea that she also feels "special" and wants the perks without necessarily doing the work. Harry also said the journey from Montecito to LA gave him the chance to look over his notes and I would bet Meghan had a hand in prepping those.

She might have a different perspective on some things and roll her eyes at some of it but I don't think she's discouraging this "I was miserable, trapped and treated badly until Meghan made me get help and see the light" perspective, quite the opposite. And in FF again it's noted that one of the reasons she broke up with her first husband is that he refused to network for her (allegedly) and didn't take her to the Oscars.

Last edited:
We know that M& H were offered a version of what the Wessex's had. And they took it as an insult. They were essentially offered the ability to make money (anywhere - USA included) and do engagements part time. However they were not to retain any military patronages. They were not to use the HRH or there titles and everything they did was to be approved by the palace before hand. This is the Luce agreement that the Wessex's had.

Without knowing the actually conversation - you can see a few issues.
1. Harry and Meghan really love using their titles on everything they are doing. Have they once not used their titles on any of their new business dealings?
2. Harry does not see any conflict of holding honorary commissions and working part time.
3. They do not want the palace to have any oversight over what they were doing - at all. They didn't even want the palace press office to oversee their press office, so this really was not going to work.

So you can understand why it was never going to work. I just find it laughable really - Charles hated the agreement with Edward. He wanted Edward completely out. He got his wish with Harry and now look what you have. Karma is funny sometimes.

A lot has been made about Harry promising the Queen to live by her standard. Unfortunately it is a rather subjective, up to opinion matter. Is accepting freebies, getting involved in politics and playing the media like a badly strum banjo - living up to the Queen's standard? Harry will say they now are they are living a life of duty and service - while some of us will shake our heads and go only when it suits their PR to make money.

Agree. Meghan seems to me to have the same "I'm special and I should get what I want" feeling that Harry has. perhaps as a working actress she had to put up with being treated as ordinary, but I think that on marrying Harry, she thought that she would finally get the special admiration and adoration that she deserved.. as a Princess. And she found that the British press dont necessarily adore rich people or royals and are often pretty harsh on them and she got angry about it.
I think she too felt that she did not want to slide into "busy working duchess who didn't get a lot of press attention" as she grew older... so that was another reason for wanting out

We know that M& H were offered a version of what the Wessex's had. And they took it as an insult. They were essentially offered the ability to make money (anywhere - USA included) and do engagements part time. However they were not to retain any military patronages. They were not to use the HRH or there titles and everything they did was to be approved by the palace before hand. This is the Luce agreement that the Wessex's had.

Without knowing the actually conversation - you can see a few issues.
1. Harry and Meghan really love using their titles on everything they are doing. Have they once not used their titles on any of their new business dealings?
2. Harry does not see any conflict of holding honorary commissions and working part time.
3. They do not want the palace to have any oversight over what they were doing - at all. They didn't even want the palace press office to oversee their press office, so this really was not going to work.

So you can understand why it was never going to work. I just find it laughable really - Charles hated the agreement with Edward. He wanted Edward completely out. He got his wish with Harry and now look what you have. Karma is funny sometimes.

A lot has been made about Harry promising the Queen to live by her standard. Unfortunately it is a rather subjective, up to opinion matter. Is accepting freebies, getting involved in politics and playing the media like a badly strum banjo - living up to the Queen's standard? Harry will say they now are they are living a life of duty and service - while some of us will shake our heads and go only when it suits their PR to make money.

I didn’t know that about the Edward and Sophie...though I hardly think Charles deserved the kind of karma you’re talking about.

Charles was right about edward. The Edward arrangement didn't work. His businesses didn't make money and he got into rows with the Press.. and he was stupid enough to have his production company try to follow William when he was at University, even though the Press had agreed to leave Will alone when he was at college..... so it didn't work out and in the end Ed and Sophie had to come into full time work.
If Harry and Meg were offered a situation like Edwards, it would only have worked with a lot of supervision and they clearly would not put up with that....

Harry has become an embarrassment, beyond words to the Royal Family. Why has he suddenly become empowered to say these things NOW! Surely, he had many opportunities to discuss this with his father before his marriage and if his father didn't want to listen to him, he could have spoken to his grandmother. After all he has mentioned, and William, about the special bond that they have with their grandmother.

I'm sorry, but this latest comment of Harry is unforgivable.

The same could be said for exams, I don't think anyone (well according to those who I know) specifically enjoys taking tests and examination at school, college or university. However, most people accepted that exams/assessments are in place to test their ability in learning and applying knowledge into practice, which are inevitable in every course/training/education they take.

In the Armchair Expert podcast, Harry himself has mentioned about strongly disliking exams when he was at school, even promising/vowing (at that time after Eton) not to take any more exams in the future. He later admit that he then took more examinations when he was in the army.

On a different note, there was a discussion about Harry's appearance in Armchair Expert podcast on ITV's Loose Women. Surprisingly, the comment section of this Youtube video is turned on.

Last edited:
Charles was right about edward. The Edward arrangement didn't work. His businesses didn't make money and he got into rows with the Press.. and he was stupid enough to have his production company try to follow William when he was at University, even though the Press had agreed to leave Will alone when he was at college..... so it didn't work out and in the end Ed and Sophie had to come into full time work.
If Harry and Meg were offered a situation like Edwards, it would only have worked with a lot of supervision and they clearly would not put up with that....

Good stuff, thanks !

Harry seems bound and determined to get the British people - and others- to hate him. His comments about having to “grin and bear it” while meeting the people - people who have to do a lot more than grin and bear it to get through their lives - are ugly and out of touch. The Royals bring a great deal of joy to people when they meet them, and Harry has the gall to look down on that? How snobbish and uncaring. He talks about compassion, but then also says he has to grit his teeth to get through dealing with poorer folk. You know who has compassion ? His father. His grandmother. His brother. His sister-in-law. His aunt and uncle. His cousins. His nieces and nephews. His father- yes, I said it twice, on purpose.

As far as I’m concerned, Harry is living an empty life, while his family truly serves the people..and are happy to do so. Noblesse Oblige....

There's an expression that has been popping into my head a lot as I've been reading through this thread and the more I think about it, the more I think it needs to actually happen to Harry in the *real* world.

"I complained that I had no shoes until I met a man that had no feet". Perhaps Harry's life has to go in a direction where it hits home to him that what he's eschewing was so bad and awful about his life seems like a walk in the park compared to what his life *could* have been like. Sometimes it takes hitting a rock bottom before one starts counting their blessings.

I was a little, especially the quotes about meeting poor people he felt "freer" around the Commonwealth. I guess he hasn't discovered the poverty cycle yet despite also claiming his travels opened his eyes to the way others live.

He surely did not see only poor people. At least the Palace's and the goverment's PR machinery would have stopped that as the pics could be negatively used in the media against the BRF (which at conservative ones are trying to protect). And I'm sure within Charles' circle were enough free-minded entrepreneurs, explorers and people freed through religion and philosophy that he indeed saw enough "free" people. So I give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he saw enough what freedom could give you, what fate and duty could make of you. Think of his comrades on the frontline. As Harry didn't really talk about his family back then (we would have heard of that!) he had to listen in conversations forced by the experience of utmost violence his comrades were a part of. It's not only a "theme" in anti-war movies, it actually happens that former strangers open their hearts to each other and tell their stories to their comrades. If only not to get broken. So I believe he knows better what he is talking about than a lot of the media commentators.

I just wish people would let him live and let the BRF fight out their wars amongst each others. And from what I remember having heard back then in 2019/20, the courtiers and the senior members of the RF were not overly willing to listen to Harry's woes. That is understandible as well, but they should have listened, they should have accepted Meghan and they should have solved their problems behing closed doors. But that didn't happen and so the whole world can now discuss it!

(I'm writing this from experience. My mother was deaf and didn't want to discuss the way she abused me - so I couldn't force her in a confrontation to listen to me, so I only saw a way out on telling her siblings in the hope they would talk to her about my problems. That unfortunately didn't happen but gave me instead the cape of the "black sheep and even liar". I can easily imagine this did happen to Harry as well. The position you are in filters all you hear, while I think I can hear Harry & Meghan in a clear way and accept that, though I don't like it, others hate that. But I think we are all glad we are not Harry. Or does someone's opinion is filtered through envy?

I generally stay out of the discussion on the Sussex family as inevitably it becomes incredibly heated!

When they announced they were leaving I have to say I hoped for the best for them. A relatively quiet life supporting charities but living in peace from the media storm that had followed them from the beginning.

However the more I see that Harry is seemingly making a name out of speaking ill of his family and the life he led previously the more difficult it is to wish him well! There were undoubtedly difficulties in his life, press intrusion being the biggest. But to complain about having to put a smile on and get out to meet people, really shows how out of touch he is with reality!

I would love to see him get to work on something meaningful instead of just bashing his precious life and the way his family continue to live, serving the people of the UK.

There's an expression that has been popping into my head a lot as I've been reading through this thread and the more I think about it, the more I think it needs to actually happen to Harry in the *real* world.

"I complained that I had no shoes until I met a man that had no feet". Perhaps Harry's life has to go in a direction where it hits home to him that what he's eschewing was so bad and awful about his life seems like a walk in the park compared to what his life *could* have been like. Sometimes it takes hitting a rock bottom before one starts counting their blessings.

Harry knows exactly what life is when you lost your feet or legs. You cannot claim he lived in rainbow land all his time and fights now for more candy. Please, take him seriously! We all probably think we would have done a better job being a prince (well, maybe besides me and Meghan) and being Charles' son but that's just imaginary thoughts, while Harry talks about what had happened to him when he actually lived this life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom