The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, William also had some not so flattering pictures and stories as well.

This is true. And, in reality, anyone’s life who is put under a microscope will have unflattering stories told about them. Some are just worse than others.

We can postulate till the cows come home of what's really going on with Harry but we're never going to actually know unless he goes public and tells us. Maybe in the docuseries on mental health he's doing with Oprah? Like every other human being on this planet, mental issues are part of life's experiences and Harry's no exception. Makes me so grateful that the ones I've gone through over the years didn't have to be played out in the public domain. ?

I can emphasize with Harry, he scared of loosing his new family and he is panicking because he does not enough income to support their lifestyle.

An impassioned speech indeed. And one that has new importance as we see the crisis in India growing daily. Australia sent some of our vaccines to Papua New Guinea to help out as coronavirus surged there. But it is not enough. We just can’t be complacent about helping the poorer countries of the world as Harry has pointed out. I hope this concert garners huge donations.

Interesting! Thanks!

I didn't realize this was happening so soon after the announcement that they were chairing it. This is probably my fault for not reading the articles closely enough, but I thought they'd just then been named as chairs, and were just beginning to organize the whole thing. Oops! ?

:lol: I wonder how young Harry was when he ended naked in front of his father's guests. Was he three, thirteen or twenty three?;) Perhaps he'd run away from one of the nannies and ended up downstairs in the KP dining room?

he was in his teens...as far as I know. And you may remember that he got naked in front of a lot of people in Las Vegas...
Doing silly stuff like strip billiards is - well silly but what was extremely foolish was getting naked with a bunch of strangers and letting them photograph him. Overall, I think that it is true that Harry is easily led. When he was in the army, he seems to have been a good enthusiastic soldier but he was easily led into this sort of foolish behaviour when he was getting a b it too old to get away with it. And when he wasn't on active service, he didn't like havign a desk job..
Now he seems to have gone all "California Radical minded new man" under Meg's influence.

Last edited:
I can emphasize with Harry, he scared of loosing his new family and he is panicking because he does not enough income to support their lifestyle.
Maybe he can downsize his way of living then.....

Maybe he can downsize his way of living then.....

Presumably he can't. the only reason I can think of that he'd lose his family would be if Meg was likely to say that she wouldn't live in a smaller house etc etc.. and surely she is not so mercenary?

Presumably he can't. the only reason I can think of that he'd lose his family would be if Meg was likely to say that she wouldn't live in a smaller house etc etc.. and surely she is not so mercenary?
Hadn’t Charles stopped giving them money before they bought that house? Surely they could have found something safe to their liking for less money - say 7 million. :whistling::nonono::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Harry has lived in small houses before, Nott Cott and Frogmore Cottage. So has Meghan. She lived in a small house in Canada and also in LA with her first husband before and during their marriage.

And we don’t know that he won’t have the income to maintain the lifestyle for his family. Presumably Netflix and Spotify executives were smart enough to see the potential in he and Meg or they wouldn’t have signed them up in the first place.

There’s no evidence that Harry isn’t happily married, or that he will lose his family due to financial or other pressures. God knows, they’ve survived a tremendous amount of pressures of all kinds since their wedding.

And surely it’s up to the couple as to what size house they buy and what they paid for it. It’s nobody’s money but their own, and IMO it’s no business of anybody else’s what they do with their income.

Last edited:
And surely it’s up to the couple as to what size house they buy and what they paid for it. It’s nobody’s money but their own, and IMO it’s no business of anybody else’s what they do with their income.

I agree with all of your post except this last part. Harry is the one who brought his finances into the public sphere by publicly complained about his family cutting him off financially. If Harry can publicly criticize his family for cutting him off, other people can publicly criticize his lifestyle and spending habits.

I agree - it would be no-one's business if Harry hadn't whinged and moaned about Prince Charles not supporting him, and how he's only able to cope because of the money he inherited from Diana, as if everyone is supposed to feel sorry for him that he's having to survive on a multi-million pound inheritance that earns more in interest every year than most people earn from doing a full time job. But, yes, if need be, I'm sure they could manage with a house that doesn't have 14 bathrooms or whatever this one's supposed to have! Frogmore Cottage isn't big.

I agree - it would be no-one's business if Harry hadn't whinged and moaned about Prince Charles not supporting him, and how he's only able to cope because of the money he inherited from Diana, as if everyone is supposed to feel sorry for him that he's having to survive on a multi-million pound inheritance that earns more in interest every year than most people earn from doing a full time job. But, yes, if need be, I'm sure they could manage with a house that doesn't have 14 bathrooms or whatever this one's supposed to have! Frogmore Cottage isn't big.

Harry clearly thinks that he needs a mansion, with the 14 bathrooms.. or he wouldnt' have bought it.. but its true that when single he did live in smaller palces. however marriage presumably has made him think differently, and I suppose it is possible that he feels that he and his wife need a big big place and a very large income..
Possible that the fact that Frogmore wasn't so big and fancy.. was one of the issues in thier wanting to leave Royal life...

Harry has lived in small houses before, Nott Cott and Frogmore Cottage. So has Meghan. She lived in a small house in Canada and also in LA with her first husband before and during their marriage.

And we don’t know that he won’t have the income to maintain the lifestyle for his family. Presumably Netflix and Spotify executives were smart enough to see the potential in he and Meg or they wouldn’t have signed them up in the first place.

There’s no evidence that Harry isn’t happily married, or that he will lose his family due to financial or other pressures. God knows, they’ve survived a tremendous amount of pressures of all kinds since their wedding.

I agree. Seems like a lot of wishful thinking and projecting to me regarding the Sussexes and their marriage,

Whatever their financial status is or the lack of finances isn't really going to be made totally public except for the information Harry, himself, has put out there in the public domain. As with so many other young couples (well... I'm nearing 70 so they're young to me) that are starting a family and starting a new life in a totally new environment, there's going to be ups and downs and insides and outs. From everything I've seen of Harry and Meghan, they do very much come across as a "you and me against the world" kind of couple that will face things together whether for good or for bad.

This pandemic has put the brakes on life for just about all of us and I'm sure Harry and Meghan have come up against some brick walls too as far as getting their professional lives in gear.

I kind of think their situation right now is voiced nicely by Nietzsche when he said "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ".

W=
This pandemic has put the brakes on life for just about all of us and I'm sure Harry and Meghan have come up against some brick walls too as far as getting their professional lives in gear.

I kind of think their situation right now is voiced nicely by Nietzsche when he said "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ".

So, as the pandemic HAS caused massive financial problems for millions of people, you might think that a couple who are starting out in a new life would be cautious. It was obvious by last spring and summer that the pandemic would mean that businesses were going bust, that there was less work, that money would be short for most people So why take on a massive luxurious house.. when you can't be sure how you are going to pay for it?

I agree. Seems like a lot of wishful thinking and projecting to me regarding the Sussexes and their marriage,

I agree with you; those are my thoughts exactly -
?

Last edited:
So, as the pandemic HAS caused massive financial problems for millions of people, you might think that a couple who are starting out in a new life would be cautious. It was obvious by last spring and summer that the pandemic would mean that businesses were going bust, that there was less work, that money would be short for most people So why take on a massive luxurious house.. when you can't be sure how you are going to pay for it?

As neither the US or UK taxpayers are up for the mortgage payments, nor are any members of Harry’s family, it’s Harry and Meghan’s money and how they are going to pay for it is surely up to them.

he was in his teens...as far as I know. And you may remember that he got naked in front of a lot of people in Las Vegas..

He was in his teens? Please, what is your source for this? (Asking for a friend)

As I've said I don't recollect exactly but there were tales of Harry stripping off when he was supposed to be doing a scene from that film about Strippers (sorry i can't remember when it came out or what the title is). He was at a party for C's friends and the idea was that he'd strip down to his underwear but he went the whole hog. So he was a teenager. I think that Harry was fond of silly pranks, in his teens and twenties, including getting very drunk.....And I think that at times the getting drunk involved getting naked...

As neither the US or UK taxpayers are up for the mortgage payments, nor are any members of Harry’s family, it’s Harry and Meghan’s money and how they are going to pay for it is surely up to them.

Agreed - and at the same time, it is up to Charles how he wants to spend his money. If Harry can criticize Charles for not spending money the way Harry wants Charles to, other people can criticize Harry for the way Harry spends money.

I personally don't like it when very wealthy people living in luxury preach that we all have to sacrifice to save the planet and share our resources with those less fortunate. I work for a charitable NGO so I agree with the sentiment, but I'd like to see a a lot more sharing from the one-percenters - which also includes the royal family.

I’ve never heard that story about an older teen Harry. However, I have read one that was second or even third hand that used to be repeated by biographer Angela Levin.

According to that story William and Harry arranged a 50th birthday surprise for their father. The brothers arranged some sort of a strip off as a joke. However, according to what Levin heard, Harry, who was 14 at the time, had too much to drink and stripped off completely, doing a runner among the guests, and embarrassing his father.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-birthday-prince-william-full-monty-style-spt

https://www.ibtimes.com/prince-harr...round-naked-heirs-50th-birthday-party-2876403

Angela Levin supposedly got this story from one of the guests but she used ‘reportedly’ when she spoke of it. Until Las Vegas that was the only incident I’ve ever read of Harry stripping off at parties or anywhere else and I’ve followed him since he was nineteen and have several bios of his which don’t mention the supposed incident at 14.

Last edited:
Agreed - and at the same time, it is up to Charles how he wants to spend his money. If Harry can criticize Charles for not spending money the way Harry wants Charles to, other people can criticize Harry for the way Harry spends money.

I personally don't like it when very wealthy people living in luxury preach that we all have to sacrifice to save the planet and share our resources with those less fortunate. I work for a charitable NGO so I agree with the sentiment, but I'd like to see a a lot more sharing from the one-percenters - which also includes the royal family.

well regardless, its a free country, and people can comment on anyone they like and how they spend their money. If Harry and Meg are public figures and very rich, they are going to be the targets of comments from ordinary people. And the more they preach to us ordinary folk, the more likely they are to get caustic comments. Esp when Harry seems to have made it pretty clear that he believed (until disabused of the idea) that the tax payers of the UK or Canada would pay his security and if they didn't then his father would do so.

Yup. I haven’t said this before because it just occurred to me, but not only did Harry rip his father for cutting him off, he said said he was living on his mother’s inheritance. He knew exactly what he was doing when he did this, as so many already saw Charles as the villain and Diana as the saint. Oh, and not incidentally, he could have bought a less expensive “house”, but instead he chose to try and keep up with the Jones’ and blame his father...

well regardless, its a free country, and people can comment on anyone they like and how they spend their money. If Harry and Meg are public figures and very rich, they are going to be the targets of comments from ordinary people. And the more they preach to us ordinary folk, the more likely they are to get caustic comments. Esp when Harry seems to have made it pretty clear that he believed (until disabused of the idea) that the tax payers of the UK or Canada would pay his security and if they didn't then his father would do so.

Yes he was very clear on Oprah that he expected the British taxpayers to still cover his security once he left the family.

Yes he was very clear on Oprah that he expected the British taxpayers to still cover his security once he left the family.

And he said that he had "ONLY" taken the Netflix deal when he was told the taxpayers in the UK or Canada would not pay his security and his father would no longer help him financially... So it makes you wonder how Harry really expected to make a living when he took on a pretty massive house. Was Charles expected to hand out even more than he had done when Harry was a working royal? Will Netflix's money fil the gap? Will Harry stil think it is beneath his dignity as a Prince to earn money?

Yup. I haven’t said this before because it just occurred to me, but not only did Harry rip his father for cutting him off, he said said he was living on his mother’s inheritance. He knew exactly what he was doing when he did this, as so many already saw Charles as the villain and Diana as the saint. Oh, and not incidentally, he could have bought a less expensive “house”, but instead he chose to try and keep up with the Jones’ and blame his father...

In fact most of Diana's fortune caeme from her large divorce settlement.. which came from Charles and the queen....

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact most of Diana's fortune caeme from her large divorce settlement.. which came from Charles and the queen....

Ironic.....or maybe not, since I imagine Harry knows that.

I’ve never liked talking about anyone’s finances, and I don’t begrudge where Harry or anyone else in the BRF got their money from, but as long as he made it a public issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom