The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t watch the James Corden show, but in it Harry all but gave his stamp of approval to the Crown, and thus to how it portrays his father as a villain. That is unforgivable, and just incredibly disappointing. One day, I fear, Harry will awake up missing his father - and he won’t be able to apologize, or explain, or tell him he loves him. He regrets to this day the fact that he rushed his mum off the phone before she was killed. Does he really want to experience that again? Same for his feud with William, except H seems to be aiming his daggers at his father. I think he knew exactly how the interview would come off...

I think he is most angry at charles, certianly - whereas with William, he's angry but it is partly reactional to William. I think that Will hasn't hidden that he's pretty cross wiht his brother and Harry of course will lash out in return. But the big anger seems to be with Charles.

Yes as long as everything they do pull those numbers. They reran this highly watched program a week later and it was watched by about 20% of the original number, a lot of whom might have watched it the first time as well. I think that speaks to sustainable interest in them- and it’s just not there at the levels they need/want it to be in order to make major bank

IMO, the only program that will pull in the number would be about them, I don't even think Invictus project will all that popular, unless Harry includes some documentary with himself, like the Pole trek

I think he is most angry at charles, certianly - whereas with William, he's angry but it is partly reactional to William. I think that Will hasn't hidden that he's pretty cross wiht his brother and Harry of course will lash out in return. But the big anger seems to be with Charles.

I agree....and, his father is hurt and angry with him, for much better reasons. I don’t see much changing soon.

I'm sure he realized how bad it would make the RF look (if people believed it) and it clearly didn't bother him that he had a hand in savaging his family. I think he got a bit wary the next day about Philip or the queen being seen as the "one who made the racist remarks" so he made the belated announcement that it wasn't them.... but that's probably because he knew that Philip was close to the end of his life...and it might shock people to see his grandson making remarks like that, which could apply to him. Tat is what shocks me a litlte that Jolly Happy Harry carried such anger in him...

They did know that Philip wasn't going to get better. The heart operation he had was to try and extend his life but all the family knew this was it.

That's probably one of the reasons they "clarified" that it wasn't Philip or HM because they knew he was dying and they also need a connection with her: hence the recent "Meghan loved Philip the most, they both talked to HM a lot recently" stuff.

So is Harry now going to say he was lying or forced to say any of the nice things he's said in the last 20 years about Charles (and Camilla) because he had been pretty adamant that whilst he and Charles had gone through a bad time that they had become closer and he'd seen how difficult things had been for his dad in a way that didn't sound particularly scripted.

And how much anger at his Dad is because he's apparently suddenly *not* indulging him anymore or paying for things that Harry feels it's right that someone else not him should pay for? And that combined with clips from The Crown has sparked the "and you know what?! He never took me bike riding either!" Which erm, was incorrect.

I mean there are still rumours that Charles helped out with the 16 bathrooms as a last gift.

They did know that Philip wasn't going to get better. The heart operation he had was to try and extend his life but all the family knew this was it.

That's probably one of the reasons they "clarified" that it wasn't Philip or HM because they knew he was dying and they also need a connection with her: hence the recent "Meghan loved Philip the most, they both talked to HM a lot recently" stuff.

So is Harry now going to say he was lying or forced to say any of the nice things he's said in the last 20 years about Charles (and Camilla) because he had been pretty adamant that whilst he and Charles had gone through a bad time that they had become closer and he'd seen how difficult things had been for his dad in a way that didn't sound particularly scripted.

And how much anger at his Dad is because he's apparently suddenly *not* indulging him anymore or paying for things that Harry feels it's right that someone else not him should pay for? And that combined with clips from The Crown has sparked the "and you know what?! He never took me bike riding either!" Which erm, was incorrect.

I mean there are still rumours that Charles helped out with the 16 bathrooms as a last gift.

You make very good points!

I have to confess that I had a massive crush on Harry, and a part of me still likes him. I keep looking for that playful Prince, "the lovable rogue," but nothing of it is there. I find it impossible to defend his actions with every passing day.

I was watching some of his older videos to pacify myself yesterday. How pathetic am I, really! ?

I think probably they did expect perhaps that their popularity would put pressure on BRF to give in to their demands. I still can’t get over their making a big deal of the fact that their wedding garnered huge ratings...I believe they actually think that the BRF is nothing without their so-called star power (which has never done anything for me). Too bad they failed to realize that people got tired of their act and actually sided with the BRF, who did whatever they could to help people

The hits do keep coming, and they will continue to do so as long as the Crown and other productions push him as the villain in the Diana story. I think William is disgusted, actually, by the one-sidedness of it all, but Harry thinks it’s all deserved, apparently. The man just keeps on going despite his knowledge that the British public dislike him and probably won’t support him as King. I admire how he just gets on with it.

You’re right, he does know how his parents felt, and I’m sure he regretted that interview a long time ago. I think one day, maybe when it’s too late, but hopefully not, that Harry will regret what he said.

That’s fair - even non Royal watchers were fascinated (not all or even most, though, because it’s a huge country) by Diana. Hence, they care to a degree about William and Harry. To some, they will always be those little boys

William and Harry IMO clearly are united in their love and admiration for their deceased mother. Neither did comment on the Crown Season 4. It makes no difference how people feel about CHarles, he's next in line to be monarch and that's that.

You make very good points!

I have to confess that I had a massive crush on Harry, and a part of me still likes him. I keep looking for that playful Prince, "the lovable rogue," but nothing of it is there. I find it impossible to defend his actions with every passing day.

I was watching some of his older videos to pacify myself yesterday. How pathetic am I, really! ?

I definitely never had a crush on Harry! But I can see where you're coming from. Everyone changes over time, and, when you don't actually know someone personally, you don't know how much of their public persona is the real them. But Harry is almost unrecognisable from the person he was 10 years ago. And not in a good way.

But I cannot for the life of me understand the polls that indicate that the British public is split down the middle between not believing/being annoyed at H/M and believing them/not being sure. However unpopular they are, it’s not like most British are throwing out what they say...

I would not necessary said Harry & Meghan's popularity is split in the middle given that their favourability reached all time low according to this YouGov poll completed on 12th March after the interview. It was the first time Harry got into the negative zone. It's mostly young people and Labour voters who do not necessary support the monarchy.

Public opinion of Harry and Meghan falls to new low after Oprah interview
More people than not now have a negative view of Prince Harry, while public opinion of other senior royals largely remains unchanged
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...c-opinion-harry-and-meghan-falls-new-low-afte

PDF of popularity of each royal family members: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/dkq32ft8nv/Royal favourability 11 March.pdf

PDF of the popularity of the monarchy: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/rwltuoo339/Attitudes to monarchy.pdf

In the Snap poll, more people feel sympathetic to the Queen and Royal Family than Harry & Meghan, but it's only the highest percentage not the majority. Age was the major dividing factor. Whilst not exactly the majority, only 22% of British public are sympathetic towards the Sussex, compared to 36% who sympathise with The Queen and Royal Family. I think there is a possibility that one can be sympathetic to the Sussexes, but do not necessary give then a favourable rating (instead giving them neutral or negative). Conversely, one can possibly not be sympathetic towards The Queen and Royal family, whilst giving them positive or neutral rating rather than the expected negative.

Snap poll: post-interview, the public remain unsympathetic to Harry and Meghan
As the dust settles following the controversial royal interview, what do Britons make of the situation?
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...1/03/09/snap-poll-post-interview-harry-meghan

PDF of the result: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/usmfbongyx/SnapPoll_Royals_March9th.pdf

Last edited:
I definitely never had a crush on Harry! But I can see where you're coming from. Everyone changes over time, and, when you don't actually know someone personally, you don't know how much of their public persona is the real them. But Harry is almost unrecognisable from the person he was 10 years ago. And not in a good way.

No he's not particularly recognisable.

Although Vegas in 2012 didn't exactly cover him in glory a lot of that was seen as "lovable rogue" even though it was potentially dangerous and stupid.

However Edward Lane Fox worked very hard to help him clean up his public image whilst still working with his "jolly Harry" persona and then he founded the Invictus Games, left the Army, started the Royal Foundation etc.

We don't know how much of his current lecturing, petulant "blame everyone else" attributes among other things were there and just glossed over by the media and public who liked "cheeky Prince Harry" who also served in Afghanistan, was trying to find his niche with royal duties and looked like he'd be fun to meet down the pub.

Dull-takes -himself- too- seriously-Harry is not one I ever though I'd see.

I would not necessary said Harry & Meghan's popularity is split in the middle given that their favourability reached all time low according to this YouGov poll completed on 12th March after the interview. It was the first time Harry got into the negative zone. It's mostly young people and Labour voters who do not necessary support the monarchy.

Public opinion of Harry and Meghan falls to new low after Oprah interview
More people than not now have a negative view of Prince Harry, while public opinion of other senior royals largely remains unchanged
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...c-opinion-harry-and-meghan-falls-new-low-afte

PDF of popularity of each royal family members: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/dkq32ft8nv/Royal favourability 11 March.pdf

PDF of the popularity of the monarchy: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/rwltuoo339/Attitudes to monarchy.pdf

In the Snap poll, more people feel sympathetic to the Queen and Royal Family than Harry & Meghan, but it's only the highest percentage not the majority. Age was the major dividing factor. Whilst not exactly the majority, only 22% of British public are sympathetic towards the Sussex, compared to 36% who sympathise with The Queen and Royal Family. I think there is a possibility that one can be sympathetic to the Sussexes, but do not necessary give then a favourable rating (instead giving them neutral or negative). Conversely, one can possibly not be sympathetic towards The Queen and Royal family, whilst giving them positive or neutral rating rather than the expected negative.

Snap poll: post-interview, the public remain unsympathetic to Harry and Meghan
As the dust settles following the controversial royal interview, what do Britons make of the situation?
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...1/03/09/snap-poll-post-interview-harry-meghan

PDF of the result: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/usmfbongyx/SnapPoll_Royals_March9th.pdf

Thanks for the info - I’m going to look at this later !

Even in his private moments, he seemed to be a happy go lucky guy. The Vegas incident comes to mind. But I really wonder how someone's charm can just vanish like that. I really liked how he represented the Queen in Jamaica, and how his hug kinda diffused some tension that had been brewing. He could've been such an asset on the world stage. Shame he threw it away for some Hollywood celebrity.

Charm itself isn’t always a positive thing - not all the time, but it can be something that someone turns on and off, depending on what they want/need and who they’re with. I suspect that Harry may have been a pretty good actor, hiding his darker side with gregarious charm. Even if true, it doesn’t mean he was a bad person, but it does mean that he’s a lot more complicated and harder than people think. People talk about how William can be fiery and hold grudges, but you know where you stand with him. It seems to me that Harry can be both of those things, but hides those parts of him

Last edited by a moderator:
Charm itself isn’t always a positive thing - not all the time, but it can be something that someone turns on and off, depending on what they want/need and who they’re with. I suspect that Harry may have been a pretty good actor, hiding his darker side with gregarious charm. Even if true, it doesn’t mean he was a bad person, but it does mean that he’s a lot more complicated and harder than people think. People talk about how William can be fiery and hold grudges, but you know where you stand with him. It seems to me that Harry can be both of those things, but hides those parts of him

Yes, that's true. Harry is someone whom you instantly like, William is someone who is like the tough taskmaster that you grow to appreciate.

A bunch of posts have been deleted. This thread is about the Sussexes, not about Hillary or US politics. Please stay on-topic. Any further off-topic comments will be deleted.

The discussion about the Sussexes' security and whether Charles should pay for it, has gone around and around in circles. Please move on from it.

Got to get home to that billionaire...

The royal editor of the Daily Mirror explained: "Whilst he was over here, he didn't have a chance to have a face-to-face with his father Charles.

"Apparently Charles did want to make time to see him.

"But, Harry told him 'Listen, I have got to go'."

The royal expert said that there are many in the Palace, including Charles, who want to squash the rift between Harry and the rest of the Royal Family.

He said: "It's an interesting point because while Harry received quite a frosty reception from some members of the family, there are some that do think to squash these beef with other members of the family would the right thing to do."

Reflecting on where Harry's relationship with William sits at the moment, Mr Myers explained: "There was another opportunity to speak to William.

"But it wasn't the right time or place at the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-rift-snub-William-Duke-Sussex-latest-news-vn

Also, has Angela Levin been on another planet for a year?

Ms Levin said on talkRADIO: 'Prince Charles has wanted for a very long time to cut the monarchy down to save costs and to make people be worth the money that they got from the taxpayer.

'I imagine that might be when Harry and Meghan are ditched from being members of the Royal family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ghan-ditched-Royal-family-Prince-Charles.html

No he's not particularly recognisable.

Although Vegas in 2012 didn't exactly cover him in glory a lot of that was seen as "lovable rogue" even though it was potentially dangerous and stupid.

However Edward Lane Fox worked very hard to help him clean up his public image whilst still working with his "jolly Harry" persona and then he founded the Invictus Games, left the Army, started the Royal Foundation etc.

We don't know how much of his current lecturing, petulant "blame everyone else" attributes among other things were there and just glossed over by the media and public who liked "cheeky Prince Harry" who also served in Afghanistan, was trying to find his niche with royal duties and looked like he'd be fun to meet down the pub.

Dull-takes -himself- too- seriously-Harry is not one I ever though I'd see.

The press liked the Charming Prince angle because it sold well. Harry likely found it was an easy part to play - he was a wealthy, single guy and no one was asking too much of him. It’s not like the public saw him that often. He showed up, was fun and happy for an hour or so and then went back to his real life, where he likely wasn’t all smiles, jokes and hugs.

I think all working royals are actors to an extent. They play a role in public, one that’s a simplified and watered down version of their real personality. Everything goes ok as long as they stick to the script. Over time people can add nuance and depth to their public image but Harry went suddenly and dramatically off script after his marriage. He’s both adopted Meghan’s priorities and attitudes as his own and allowed the less appealing aspects of his own personality - petulance, meanness - to play out in the public sphere.

[...]

The press liked the Charming Prince angle because it sold well. Harry likely found it was an easy part to play - he was a wealthy, single guy and no one was asking too much of him. It’s not like the public saw him that often. He showed up, was fun and happy for an hour or so and then went back to his real life, where he likely wasn’t all smiles, jokes and hugs.

I think all working royals are actors to an extent. They play a role in public, one that’s a simplified and watered down version of their real personality. Everything goes ok as long as they stick to the script. Over time people can add nuance and depth to their public image but Harry went suddenly and dramatically off script after his marriage. He’s both adopted Meghan’s priorities and attitudes as his own and allowed the less appealing aspects of his own personality - petulance, meanness - to play out in the public sphere.

[...]
I dont know waht to make of Harry. I think that under his jolly persona he has had a lot of anger, he has said so.. but it seems like his therapy hasn't really helped much. And I think that the "takes himself too seriously" thing is largely Meg's influence..
And as he has little in the way of experience of the real world [...] he's floundering now that he HAS left the royal umbrella and his anger, his spoiledness, are all showing up much more.
I don't think he really knows how to act in this new world that he's in, so he's taking his cue from Meghan [...]

Heavs, very detailed post and well written without disrespect. TY

Last edited:
Yes, that's true. Harry is someone whom you instantly like, William is someone who is like the tough taskmaster that you grow to appreciate.

Yes ... if it was school, William would be the sensible boy who was always form prefect and then was made head boy, whereas Harry (before he met Meghan) would be the kid whose gang everyone wanted to be in. But Harry's not like that any more.

I suppose the question is, how many people (of those who watched) will go on to watch something they produce on Netflix? Or will watch them as the face of XYZ and pay towards their upkeep that way. America IS a huge market because of its very big population.
Everyone in the US who watched the show that I know personally was appalled by it. Friends of mine couldn’t believe they threw their family under the bus, said they’d really been married 3 days before, and that the wedding wasn’t for them but was a spectacle for the world. And the racial innuendo- just enough to damage the RF but not enough to clarify what really happened.

But now? Nobody I know in the real world is talking about them at all. Their Netflix success will depend on what they come up with and produce. If they produce something like Bridgerton? Then they’ll do just fine. A documentary on the Invictus Games? Not so much. ;). I don’t see folks watching something just because Harry and Meghan produced it. There are SO MANY choices these days and the topic and quality of the production will be what matters.

but the thing is that the people who watched - not ALL of them but probalby a lot of them.. believed what was said. They didn't know the finer details and since Op didn't ask any questions really, they are going to go away with a picture of "Poor Meghan" in thier minds.

I think you might be surprised at the amount of people on this side of the pond who watched and aren't royalty fans or experts and didn't buy what was being said. :flowers:

I didn’t watch the James Corden show, but in it Harry all but gave his stamp of approval to the Crown, and thus to how it portrays his father as a villain. That is unforgivable, and just incredibly disappointing. One day, I fear, Harry will awake up missing his father - and he won’t be able to apologize, or explain, or tell him he loves him. He regrets to this day the fact that he rushed his mum off the phone before she was killed. Does he really want to experience that again? Same for his feud with William, except H seems to be aiming his daggers at his father. I think he knew exactly how the interview would come off...
I thought the Corden show was a huge embarrassment- well, I was embarrassed for the RF. He did not come across as royal at all. My sister (who doesn’t keep up with the royals at all) watched and thought it was funny and he was “really cute.” Again, she saw him as a celebrity.

I think you might be surprised at the amount of people on this side of the pond who watched and aren't royalty fans or experts and didn't buy what was being said. :flowers:

That is interesting - I watched a programme about the interview, a few weeks ago, A British programme and some of the people on that show, were definitley buying what Meghan Oprah etc siad, and first impressions tend to stick. So there are certainly people in the UK who are "on their side"....albeit I think that overall the British aren't that willing to support them...

[...]
I rewatched Charles at 70; hardly recognized Harry he is so different now! He had a lot of very positive things to say about his dad. :sad:

I rewatched Charles at 70; hardly recognized Harry he is so different now! He had a lot of very positive things to say about his dad. :sad:

Nice, I asked this a couple of days ago.
Did you see William's reaction when Harry speaks about Charles walking Meghan to the wedding? He glances, kneads his hands...
I wonder why, was Harry wrong about Charles real feelings or William had a problem with it? Tensions seemed to be there at this very early stage.

That is interesting - I watched a programme about the interview, a few weeks ago, A British programme and some of the people on that show, were definitley buying what Meghan Oprah etc siad, and first impressions tend to stick. So there are certainly people in the UK who are "on their side"....albeit I think that overall the British aren't that willing to support them...

Do you feel the people who appeared on that program were representative of the wider population? I only saw one poll and it seemed to be very negative for Harry and Meghan, although they have some supporters.

I think many people in the US are sympathetic to Harry and Meghan, but mostly because only about 5% of the population actually watched it. Most people here based on their opinions on the media reaction, which was overwhelmingly positive towards Harry and Meghan. Currently, the US media accepts many allegations of racism at face value. But the talk here has completely died down and I don't think there will be much interest for a while.

Nice, I asked this a couple of days ago.
Did you see William's reaction when Harry speaks about Charles walking Meghan to the wedding? He glances, kneads his hands...
I wonder why, was Harry wrong about Charles real feelings or William had a problem with it? Tensions seemed to be there at this very early stage.
I didn’t notice this but I will go back and rewatch it - thanks!

I dont know waht to make of Harry. I think that under his jolly persona he has had a lot of anger, he has said so.. but it seems like his therapy hasn't really helped much. And I think that the "takes himself too seriously" thing is largely Meg's influence..
And as he has little in the way of experience of the real world [...] he's floundering now that he HAS left the royal umbrella and his anger, his spoiledness, are all showing up much more.
I don't think he really knows how to act in this new world that he's in, so he's taking his cue from Meghan [...]

I agree. Before he met Meghan, he did an interview where he talked about how he had seen a therapist due to William's encouragement. At that point, I thought he had mostly worked out his issues, even though that can be a lifelong process. Then he met Meghan, and it seems he has regressed. I believe that Harry is very easily led and I think he is following her lead. I don't believe he really realizes what he has gotten himself into in the "real world". He has always been taken care of and now he has to take care of himself. He stated in the interview that he had been "trapped" in the RF. Given his upbringing, I am afraid one day this situation of "financial independence" that he wanted is when he is really going to feel trapped and realize that things were not so bad before. Sure he had to put up with the press, carry out engagements, and obey certain rules, but he never had to worry about making enough money to keep up a 16 bathroom house and maintain the lifestyle he and Meghan want.

Last edited:
It's very common for people to feel lost when they come out of the Armed Forces, and that's without the additional issues of being part of the Royal Family. There are some very sad statistics about the levels of mental health problems and even homelessness amongst service personnel, although people are more aware of it now and there's more support available. For someone who's gone into the Army straight after leaving full time education (and Sandhurst is effectively a college/university) and then emerged into the wider world in their 30s, losing all that structure, and no longer surrounded by their comrades, it must be very difficult. That possibly explains why someone might follow the lead of a strong partner. But Harry no longer seems like the person he'd always been.

A royal 'expert' called Russell Myers is now speculating that Harry was so shocked by the cold reception he received from the family at the DoE's funeral, he may pull out of coming over to unveil the statue of his mother in July.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ss-Diana-statue-trip-royal-expert-claims.html

A misleading headline, as the article makes it clear this is simply one man's opinion, and there has been no indication whatsoever Harry will do any such thing.

I do hope he decides to attend. I can't imagine it will be easy, but this is his mother's memory...

A royal 'expert' called Russell Myers is now speculating that Harry was so shocked by the cold reception he received from the family at the DoE's funeral, he may pull out of coming over to unveil the statue of his mother in July.
Russel Myers is the Royal editor for the Daily Mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom