The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What will happen in July for the unveiling of the statue.

The book won’t be out by then, but if a William and the BRF know about it, i think they’ll be furious. That said, William is not going to make a stink at the ceremony honoring his mother

I read the actual court documents. I don’t need summaries, but thanks. I’ll stick to what I said. She was approached by a friend who has been contacted for opinion on her dad. She didn’t block it. And frankly since the letter was already in the public domain, why would she really care other than sue the publication? Which she did — and won.

Well for one in the court documents the book was referenced quite a bit and was stated as having inaccurate information. Also just things in general coming out over time. Heck even in his book he stated “no one cried.”

Meghan and Harry have only sued over the letter and over Archie. That’s it. Not sure why people constantly ask “why don’t they sue?” When have they over an article or a book (and there are plenty out!) or a rumor? They haven’t. But they will over their son and rightfully so.

Anyways I have no interest in going into this never ending debate. No opinion will change. My point was this book update ain’t new. It was expected. They likely were working on the moment they officially walked away since it all happened after they wrote it and so much had happened since.

Us posting on these forums talking about it nonstop is not Harry and Meghan. They haven’t said anything in weeks and before the interview... not at all. They very likely will go back to that stance despite our fixation.

And I doubt Netflix or Spotify are worried since, unlike us, they understand the ways the media works and actually talk to the Sussexes.

How could you say they didn't cooperate with him? It's so obvious that they did it. It's the same thing Diana did with Andrew Morton. He's still their source on royal family. I'm not shaming them. Actuall, i respect their game. They're excellent at making money off of a family and instution they pretend to hate. And i agree with you they won't have any problems making money. He's a prince and she's married to him. The Queen is the most famous women in the world. There always will be an interest and they will be succesful. I just hope Harry knows he's destroying her grandmother's lifetime of service. But i guess it's not important to him when they are making millions.

Last edited:
I think they'll be able to drag things out quite a bit.. Look how many years certain people have traded on a connection with a certain royal.. Tehy will spin new stories, refer to things that happened years ago etc etc. truth is that a lot of those who watch these shows aren't very critical minded and wont notice discrepancies.. Eventually yes I think interest will run out, but it may take a few years.
I dont know what they'll do when the interest in "interviwing H and Meghan " does run out with the American public but we'll see.....

So to some extent they ultimately will be doing what Ken Warfe, Paul Burrell etc..do with their books about Diana and subsequent interviews. Repeat the same stories to make more money. How very sad to see that what began with such hope and promise has become in less than three years.

If Meghan (and maybe Harry) hadn't cooperated with Omid in writing FF, him updating it wouldn't be terribly noteworthy, because he'd just be doing it of his own accord. But it came out in her lawsuit that she did cooperate with him, despite both Meghan and Omid having denied it previously. I think it's fair to assume that she'll cooperate with the update as well. Even if she doesn't, no one with an ounce of sense - namely, Harry's family - will believe them when they deny it.

Do they have any kind of long-term plan here? I don't think they held much back in the Oprah interview, and repeating the same allegations over and over and over isn't going to continue to generate the same level of media interest if they're still doing it years from now. If they name the person who made the supposedly-racist comment or produce the email "receipts," that might get them a bit of interest, but it will be a one-off. They've said what they have to say about their time with the royals, and at the rate they're going, they're not going to have any more time with the royals to write about. "My brother said 'Good morning' right before we unveiled the statue" isn't going to sell newspapers. Neither is "I flew in the night before my grandmother's funeral, stayed at a hotel, left immediately after the ceremony, and didn't speak to anyone." That's all it's going to be, and that's sad.

There’s going to very likely be details that many people are going to want to read - and I DO think this will be hugely publicized, especially after the interview. Maybe they won’t continue to update, or if they do, maybe no one will care so much because after a THIS update, the BRF isn’t give them the time of say. However THIS update is going to kick up a storm - so, I have to strongly disagree that is isn’t going to be a big deal. I expect more details about the racism accusation, certainly about how the big, bad BRF refused her help when she was suicidal and, lastly, details of the funeral and any talks H had with his father, brother and sister-in-law.

I'm actually very surprised that Omid Scobie and Caroline Durand decided to go down that route. :eek: :ermm: :ohmy:

Is Omid Scobie that naive or just out of touch to not realise that Finding Freedom made Harry & Meghan look bad? Or completely oblivious that the Oprah interview deteriorated the Sussex's popularity in Britain? Or is he gravitating towards US audience (more specifically Celebrity & Hollywood) rather the UK?

To suggest that the new chapters of Finding Freedom would open up cans of worms is an understatement. In my honest opinion, this new addition will make Harry & Meghan appear more resentful (or even childish and self-centred), who continues to hold grudges and disparage The Royal Family (accusing them of toxic, male, frail, pale and stale). It certainly is not doing the Sussexes any favour if they actually want to move on from their past, not just as working royals, but also their mistakes and low-point.

Omid wants attention and he wants money, both of which he’ll get and make. Plenty of people in the UK - see polls - believed H and M or took them seriously, so it’s not just playing to American readers. Charles will very likely be the one most damaged ...again

So to some extent they ultimately will be doing what Ken Warfe, Paul Burrell etc..do with their books about Diana and subsequent interviews. Repeat the same stories to make more money. How very sad to see that what began with such hope and promise has become in less than three years.

I’m not concerned beyond this updating....which is hugely concerning to me. After this one, after using Philip’s funeral to reveal private affairs, after further throwing Charles, etc.. (but especially Charles) under the bus, there won’t be any real BRF- related updates to be bad as I think that may be the final straw. However, I don’t care about how sad and pathetic H and M will be after that - I’ll always remain livid because they are going to personally and “professionally” damage the BRF and the family; it’s unforgivable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

That sounds like a cooperation to me.

It does to me too.

You don’t have to talk to someone directly to cooperate.

Well perhaps I'm wrong but that's what it looks like. Of course they have their philanthropic stuff as well to talk about, and use to attract notice. But I think that will ONLY draw attention to them as long as they have the royal connection that they can talk about, whether favorable or critical. (As far as I recall, they hardly mentioned their charity work during hte Oprah interview so its kind of hard to see it as a big focus of their lives?)

I am a rather naïve person about money in that it seemed to me that they would have a hard time making money, in a depressed economy, but perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps I underestimate how much media exposure can give you ways of making your fortune. In that if they appear on TV and social media and talk up their royal connection, it will keep up some kind of money making.. they'll get "jobs" as "the face of X" which will keep the money flowing in for at least some years. (Having said that, it does come across that Harry wasn't all that sure about working, that he "only" did the Netfllix deal when they were driven to it by money problems. I kind of feel this is naivety on H's part, that he doesn't realize that people don't just give you money because you are a prince.. and certainly not if you move to the US. And that he doesn't quite realise that he had to take some kind of positive action to get the money comng in....)

Last edited:
Well perhaps I'm wrong but that's what it looks like. Of course they have their philanthropic stuff as well to talk about, and use to attract notice. But I think that will ONLY draw attention to them as long as they have the royal connection that they can talk about, whether favorable or critical. I am a rather naïve person about money in that it seemed to me that they would have a hard time making money, in a depressed economy, but perhaps Im wrong. Perhaps I underestimate how much media exposure can give you ways of making your fortune. In that if they appear on TV and social media and talk up their royal connextion it will keep up some kind of money making.. they'll get "jobs" as "the face of X" which will keep the money flowing in for at least some years.

No sadly I believe that this is what they will need to do to keep their income at the level they require.:sad:

That tweet doesn’t do anything for me. If there is to be no update, say that directly. Speak to exactly what is inaccurate. Nah, I wouldn’t have believed him anyway, lol

No sadly I believe that this is what they will need to do to keep their income at the level they require.:sad:

well its not what you expect of a prince, but then Harry has abandoned "being a Prince" and has chosen instead to earn his living...I think it is rather sad too, in that they DID have enough money to live on, (apart from the problems of paying for security abroad).. and if they had reined in their expenses, they could have probably managed to live on the money that he and Meg already had, as private people, perhaps doing some hands on voluntary work. I think that would have done a lot more good in the world than all these "deals", and would have been more satisfying for them..

Oh I fully agree that Harry is a privileged, pampered royal. I just don’t think it’s sad that he wants to earn a living now. Wasn’t that one of the big issues? Having to fund them? No longer an issue.

That tweet doesn’t do anything for me. If there is to be no update, say that directly. Speak to exactly what is inaccurate. Nah, I wouldn’t have believed him anyway, lol

Probably the new edition being paperback rather than hardcover. It's an irrelevant detail that didn't need to be included in the denial, and one that most other outlets didn't bother to include when they republished the same story. It's also consistent with how he carefully parsed words about how Meghan and Harry had never directly spoken with him.

Oh I fully agree that Harry is a privileged, pampered royal. I just don’t think it’s sad that he wants to earn a living now. Wasn’t that one of the big issues? Having to fund them? No longer an issue.

I will disagree on the problem with funding, it was never an issue when they were working members of the family, it became a problem when they expected to be funded plus provided with security while living in another country and no longer carrying out royal duties.

I am quite pleased for them if they can earn the money for the lifestyle they wish, good luck to them.

Probably the new edition being paperback rather than hardcover. It's an irrelevant detail that didn't need to be included in the denial, and one that most other outlets didn't bother to include when they republished the same story. It's also consistent with how he carefully parsed words about how Meghan and Harry had never directly spoken with him.

The wording was interesting, not a complete denial just some of the information possibly not 100% accurate. As somebody previously said all of these books have follow ups/ updates so probably nothing unusual in itself but will be interesting to see what is included.

I remember quite the complaints about their home, her wardrobe, her baby shower, etc. so clearly it was an issue. And they refunded and now don’t take a cent from the royals or the tax payers.

Omid is playing the UK media. It’s a simple update. The website actually just states there is a new introduction. Lol. So all this for that? But hey it’s been discussed for pages and articles being written in popular papers. Talk about easy peasy PR. He doesn’t have to really do anything. And why would he correct it? He about promoting his book.

He covers his basis saying he didn’t claim anything and let the media/public do the rest.

Last edited:
I remember quite the complaints about their home, her wardrobe, her baby shower, etc. so clearly it was an issue. And they refunded and now don’t take a cent from the royals or the tax payers.

Yes people thought some of it was tacky and over the top , and we moaned on here, but the reality was that their security or funding would never have been removed while they were working royals.

Harry also complained about losing the funding and the security

Kate and William experienced similar comments when both KP and their Sandringham home were refurbished.

Last edited:
No, funding wasn't an issue per se, but if he didn't work as a prince, then obviously he would not be funded as a prince. and he's not "earning a living". he's using his status as a royal to take up a "job" doing interviews about his family, or being "the face of" something...

the rest.

Err um, Harry "doesn't take a cent" because he's not getting the taxpayers fudning his security anymore.. and Charles clearly refused to go on paying for him.... From what he said at the interview he was not happy about this and seems to have thought that the taxpayers should go on paying his security and Charles should go on helping him.

I didn't say it would be removed. I said it was clearly an issue and it was. Of course they wouldn't removed it as they were working royals. That is the whole argument in itself. Funding the royals.

Yes Harry seemed surprised his security was being removed. We all know that song and dance but again he now pays for it himself and reimbursed Frogmore Cottage (again showing it was an issue) despite not even living there.

I think we can all agree it is the for best and maybe this will set a realistic precedent for future generations since this issue (though this was more extreme) keeps coming up.

I seriously doubt it, the American public is really not interested in them. We would rather read about the movie stars, Angelina and Brad, Gwyneth, Hellen Mirren, Russel Crow, etc. Unless, they count on the British audience.

I seriously doubt it, the American public is really not interested in them. We would rather read about the movie stars, Angelina and Brad, Gwyneth, Hellen Mirren, Russel Crow, etc. Unless, they count on the British audience.

IMO the British public in the main no longer care about them.

I am sure people would turn out to see them if they appeared at an event but to be honest I do not think they are missed.

Some never cared about royalty in the first place, others have jumped on the interview as a stick to beat the royals with others like me who follow the royals liked what they ,in particular, were achieving but are now very disappointed in their behaviours.
They have left the UK, good on them they made their choice and hope it goes well for them, but for their own dignity I hope they avoid tagging on the coat tails of the family,

Err um, Harry "doesn't take a cent" because he's not getting the taxpayers fudning his security anymore.. and Charles clearly refused to go on paying for him.... From what he said at the interview he was not happy about this and seems to have thought that the taxpayers should go on paying his security and Charles should go on helping him.

Charles hasn't funded Harry since March 2020 and that was because he was still a working royal. The moment that ended was when all the money ended except what his mother left him. I have zero issue with that. Harry was used to not worrying about money due to how he was raised and needed a reality check of the real world.

He is still a very privileged man. He will constantly have opportunities the average person will not just due to who he is. I don't think anyone will ever deny that. So he might as well use it now and secure their future.

So I have zero issues with making commercial deals with the likes of Netflix. Looking forward to seeing what other programs they will announce.

I think overall that is royalty in general on both sides of the pond. I will say the majority truly don't care for any of them outside of respecting The Queen.

Last edited:
I didn't say it would be removed. I said it was clearly an issue and it was. Of course they wouldn't removed it as they were working royals. That is the whole argument in itself. Funding the royals.

Yes Harry seemed surprised his security was being removed. We all know that song and dance but again he now pays for it himself and reimbursed Frogmore Cottage (again showing it was an issue) despite not even living there.

I think we can all agree it is the for best and maybe this will set a realistic precedent for future generations since this issue (though this was more extreme) keeps coming up.

he didn't have any choice but to pay for it himself. Canada was not going to pay any longer, and it appears that Charles also refused to pay. As for Frogmore, he was clearly advised to pay back the money for its redecoration... and since it now seems to have been passed on to the Brookbanks, he is presumably no longer responsible for paying a rent for it, whether market or peppercorn.

Charles hasn't funded Harry since March 2020 and that was because he was still a working royal. The moment that ended was when all the money ended except what his mother left him. I have zero issue with that. Harry was used to not worrying about money due to how he was raised and needed a reality check of the real world.

He is still a very privileged man. He will constantly have opportunities the average person will not just due to who he is. I don't think anyone will ever deny that. So he might as well use it now and secure their future.

So I have zero issues with making commercial deals with the likes of Netflix. Looking forward to seeing what other programs they will announce.

The point is, that harry himself clearly did not realize that leaving the RF meant giving up free security and an allowance from his father. According to what he said, he ONLY took the Netflix deal under pressure, because he had no money coming in and had to do something. And it seems that Charles was pushed into stopping taking his calls over these issues... so it took a time for Harry to realize that "financial independence" meant that he was on his own and had to provide for himself...

There must be people in the US who are interested, or they would not have secured an interview with Oprah....

It’s sad to earn a living instead of living as a pampered prince?

It’s an odd question to ask about a wealthy man who’s got his wealth due to his family and has just publicly ripped his father for not keeping him up in the lifestyle to which he’s been accustomed.

he didn't have any choice but to pay for it himself. Canada was not going to pay any longer, and it appears that Charles also refused to pay. As for Frogmore, he was clearly advised to pay back the money for its redecoration... and since it now seems to have been passed on to the Brookbanks, he is presumably no longer responsible for paying a rent for it, whether market or peppercorn.

Well according to the reporters Harry wasn't advised at all. He did it because he didn't want any debts and it took the palace by surprise. I don't think they expected (or requested) him to pay it back whatsoever. But I am glad he did. Also when they did it they also paid years of rent in advance. The Brooksbanks haven't had it passed on to them in that regard, as it seems they relocated when Harry returned for that week. The palace very much still refer to it as the Sussexes UK home per their own press release.

All in all, I am not even disagreeing with you about the money. I fully agreed that Harry (like all the royal) are pampered and privileged. He never had to worry about money nor security at any part of his life until he was forced too. I am glad he got that reality check. It was needed.

IMO the British public in the main no longer care about them.

I am sure people would turn out to see them if they appeared at an event but to be honest I do not think they are missed.

Some never cared about royalty in the first place, others have jumped on the interview as a stick to beat the royals with others like me who follow the royals liked what they ,in particular, were achieving but are now very disappointed in their behaviours.
They have left the UK, good on them they made their choice and hope it goes well for them, but for their own dignity I hope they avoid tagging on the coat tails of the family,

But I cannot for the life of me understand the polls that indicate that the British public is split down the middle between not believing/being annoyed at H/M and believing them/not being sure. However unpopular they are, it’s not like most British are throwing out what they say...

There must be people in the US who are interested, or they would not have secured an interview with Oprah....

Denville, you tend to think that everything is black and white. Yes, SOME Americans are interested in the Royals, in Harry and Meghan, but MOST are not. Many Americans are interested in celebrities, but MOST are not. We are an enormous country with an enormous population, so even saying millions care about H and M means that many, many, many, many, many millions more don’t. 17 million watched the Oprah interview... That’s a strong rating for tv, but the US Population last year was 331 million. I don’t need to do any further math to prove my point.

But I cannot for the life of me understand the polls that indicate that the British public is split down the middle between not believing/being annoyed at H/M and believing them/not being sure. However unpopular they are, it’s not like most British are throwing out what they say...

The first days after the interview there were reactions, as I said some used it as a stick to beat the royals others couldn't have cared less.

I would not go as far as to say they are split down the middle.

Meghan was very clever how she worded things, enough to suggest an element of truth but not enough to fully clarify what she was saying. Dangerous .

A sentence out of a paragraph....a carrot to instigate talk and trouble and play the victim card but not enough to be clear on what the facts are/ were.

Correct me if I am wrong but anywhere in that interview did they suggest that at any time they could/ should have done things differently, was there anything that they said or over reacted to that they might regret. No they played the victims, Multi millionaire victims whose funding had been stopped .
Another thing about the funding is that part of it is to cover the cost of their staff and expenses it is not a pool of money for them to spend as they see fit. I have often wondered if that was the problem , they wanted the money for themselves not for staff.

"The reality is that the BRF and the monarchy are capable of holding their own in a battle of wits whereas Harry and Meghan are basically unarmed. "

I love this statement!

It’s an odd question to ask about a wealthy man who’s got his wealth due to his family and has just publicly ripped his father for not keeping him up in the lifestyle to which he’s been accustomed.

I don't recall Harry asking Charles to fully fund him. There was definitely talk of security and it was clearly shot down. They didn't care and rightfully told Harry to figure out how to keep his family safe on his own. Honestly that is his job and he figured it out with some help from friends. Literally no issue with that.

Harry made the choice to walk away from being a working royal. Now he is figuring his way. When you don't earn a dime yourself your entire life and suddenly no longer have income coming it -- it is a shellshock. Let's not act like it wouldn't be. But again they are figuring it out.

It is really not all that surprising that things might be split. Despite what the press says and what not, we really have no way of knowing how people really feel. There are many loud minorities and silent majorities in a lot of things, so why not this too.

People will watch and come to their conclusions and sometimes it can be surprising how people interpret and consume info presented to them. I think the reaction to the Sussexes is just another example of that.

The first days after the interview there were reactions, as I said some used it as a stick to beat the royals others couldn't have cared less.

I would not go as far as to say they are split down the middle.

Meghan was very clever how she worded things, enough to suggest an element of truth but not enough to fully clarify what she was saying. Dangerous .

A sentence out of a paragraph....a carrot to instigate talk and trouble and play the victim card but not enough to be clear on what the facts are/ were.

Correct me if I am wrong but anywhere in that interview did they suggest that at any time they could/ should have done things differently, was there anything that they said or over reacted to that they might regret. No they played the victims, Multi millionaire victims whose funding had been stopped .
Another thing about the funding is that part of it is to cover the cost of their staff and expenses it is not a pool of money for them to spend as they see fit. I have often wondered if that was the problem , they wanted the money for themselves not for staff.

I hope you’re right... but they are unpopular, that I believe.

I also think that (based on clips I’ve seen) Meghan perfected that calm, restrained voice which she knew that people would take more seriously than if she sounded hyper emotional...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom