The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Nicholas Witchell seemed to think he would come home for the funeral half an hour ago on the BBC but of course he was only guessing.
I am sure the family have been preparing for this since he was in the hospital. So no doubt Harry would have been preparing and made plans just in case he was needed to immediately leave.

The quarantine will be the biggest obstacle though I won't be surprised to learn that they have already been in the UK for a few days. I don't think so but if he has been ill for the past few days, then who knows.

All that said I still think Harry will be in the UK.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Gentry

I believe it's very tricky. Philip is dead, public is mourning him. I don't know what Machiavelli would do. PR wise Harry should step back from Netflix deals, surfing photo-ops for a while at least till the baby is born. Now I feel like he's dealing with the fact what he lost. All the royals will be there, it's a huge event, it's a reminder he's a prince and his grandfather died. It'll dawn on him even more what he lost.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Provided that the 10-day quarantine is relevant (do we know for sure Harry hasn't travelled back already?), I don't see what would prevent the family from pushing the funeral a few days to ensure that every one of Philip's close relatives can be there.

Pushing the funeral to allow for quarantining could also allow for, say, one Greek and one Danish representative to attend in honour of Philip's background as Prince of Greece and Denmark. That obviously depends on whether the great-grandchildren (or the Queen's cousins) will be there with consideration to the 30 people limit.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirienn View Post
I believe it's very tricky. Philip is dead, public is mourning him. I don't know what Machiavelli would do. PR wise Harry should step back from Netflix deals, surfing photo-ops for a while at least till the baby is born. Now I feel like he's dealing with the fact what he lost. All the royals will be there, it's a huge event, it's a reminder he's a prince and his grandfather died. It'll dawn on him even more what he lost.
Why should he step back from the Netflix deal? He still needs to make a living. He has a family to support.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Provided that the 10-day quarantine is relevant (do we know for sure Harry hasn't travelled back already?), I don't see what would prevent the family from pushing the funeral a few days to ensure that every one of Philip's close relatives can be there.

Pushing the funeral to allow for quarantining could also allow for, say, one Greek and one Danish representative to attend in honour of Philip's background as Prince of Greece and Denmark. That obviously depends on whether the great-grandchildren (or the Queen's cousins) will be there with consideration to the 30 people limit.
They may. We will see. There wont be anyone there but immediate family.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:32 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Why should he step back from the Netflix deal? He still needs to make a living. He has a family to support.
For a month or so because the whole family is in mourning.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
He isn't exactly doing anything. There is nothing due to come out. What does it matter
Old 04-09-2021, 10:42 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
He isn't exactly doing anything. There is nothing due to come out. What does it matter
I was just thinking about the arrival and how a prince who decided to not be a working royal will do next.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I was just thinking about the arrival and how a prince who decided to not be a working royal will do next.
Arrival for what? He isn't going to do anything. He probably won't be there. He had to know that with everything going on and the fact he is expecting baby number 2. The family will get on with it like many others have to do in this unfortunate time.

The family have known for a while that this was coming.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Not sure what you are expecting Harry to do. How exactly is he to stop Netflix for a month? While this is sad, I doubt anyone was really surprised. He was 99 and very ill in recent weeks. No doubt they have all been preparing.

Harry will do what he can but they will all continue on with their lives, as expected.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The rest of the family won't stop working so why should Harry.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:01 AM
Courtier

I have to say, I'm honestly quite surprised that we haven't yet seen an official statement from Harry and Meghan about the death of the DoE. They're generally so quick to issue their own statements about every little thing, every private congratulations, etc. that it seems a bit odd that they haven't yet put out even a short statement. I know that opinions on them and their behavior are quite divisive and certainly split around here but I really do wonder, after all the questions raised about them going ahead with the Oprah disaster while the DoE was so ill, if they're being advised to tread very, very carefully now.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Because none of the others has work that is basically cashing on their royal connections or at least is a continuation of projects they got years ago by the sole virtue of being royal after thrashing the RF and the country in a long interview. It's simply bad form.

Not that they got the Spotify project for any different reasons but at least it isn't a direct continuation of their royal projects. IMO, it's going to be nice of them if they focus on this for a while.

I'm sure they won't go bankrupt and line in front of the food bank if they refrain from doing a particular kind of job for a short period but I don't really expect them to. They aren't obliged to do or not to do anything.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:

I suppose there will be an official period of mourning during which the working members of the Family won't have public engagements. I don't know how long that is going to last though.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:10 AM
Aristocracy

Some news outlets are reporting that Harry would only need a 5-day quarantine. If he then gets a negative covid-19 test, he is free to leave quarantine. My apologies, it appears that if you pay for a private Covid-19 test, that is true.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...or%2010%20days.

Harry should have no legal issues attending the funeral. I expect he will likely be on a plane by tonight.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
Some news outlets are reporting that Harry would only need a 5-day quarantine. If he then gets a negative covid-19 test, he is free to leave quarantine. My apologies, it appears that if you pay for a private Covid-19 test, that is true.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...or%2010%20days.

Harry should have no legal issues attending the funeral. I expect he will likely be on a plane by tonight.
His situation is far more complex than this. No hotels are open in England. He has a pregnant wife. Where would he stay for five days? Eugenie has a young baby. Relations with closer family is strained.

Things are just not easy at the moment. It is best to not act in haste.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I have to say, I'm honestly quite surprised that we haven't yet seen an official statement from Harry and Meghan about the death of the DoE. They're generally so quick to issue their own statements about every little thing, every private congratulations, etc. that it seems a bit odd that they haven't yet put out even a short statement. I know that opinions on them and their behavior are quite divisive and certainly split around here but I really do wonder, after all the questions raised about them going ahead with the Oprah disaster while the DoE was so ill, if they're being advised to tread very, very carefully now.
We don't know exactly when the DoE passed, but it was very late last night (California time). It's early morning there now. Perhaps if they were told last night they wanted to wait until today to make a statement. And as far as I've seen, none of the other grandchildren has made any public statements yet.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I suppose there will be an official period of mourning during which the working members of the Family won't have public engagements. I don't know how long that is going to last though.
I'm certain that there will be a period of mourning as customary but that would only affect the working royals. Also given the serious situation we're in I can't see even them stop working completely.
The rest will get time off work for the funeral and might be able to get a few days off now right after Philip's passing but will besides that most likely be required to work like the rest of us would be if our grandfather or close relative died.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
We don't know exactly when the DoE passed, but it was very late last night (California time). It's early morning there now. Perhaps if they were told last night they wanted to wait until today to make a statement. And as far as I've seen, none of the other grandchildren has made any public statements yet.
He passed this morning UK time. But the family would have been waiting for this. Word is there will be no individual statements from the family.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
This is true, the time difference may very well have factored in. I just truly don't believe in any universe that they weren't alerted to the time when the official statement would be made and, given their track record and the questions that absolutely everyone knew would be raised, I honestly expected them to have a statement ready to issue moments after the official announcement was made. As for the rest of the grandchildren not issuing statements, I don't really think that's a comparison we can make because none of the other grandchildren issue statements like "...have privately congratulated ??? on the birth of their son/daughter" as Harry and Meghan like to do.

I'm honestly not trying to start a debate about all of this, I just really found it incredibly odd given the track record and the obvious questions out there that they didn't issue any kind of statement. At least they haven't yet, anyway.

Closed Thread