The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Given his very pregnant wife and small child in Cali why would anyone be surprised that he’d prefer to leave right after the funeral?
To me, I would think it would be important for Harry to spend even just a few days with his family, who he hasn’t seen in a year and who he likely won’t see for a long time. If he cares about his relationships with them, I don’t think another 2 or 3 days will kill him. That’s just how I see it.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:08 PM
Majesty

I wonder whether there might be a buffet meal for the guests after the funeral or whether thatís out due to Covid?

And if everyone has to remain in their bubbles due to Covid regulations surely there wouldnít be any visiting between households for Harry or any of his relatives to speak to each other face to face anyway.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
To me, I would think it would be important for Harry to spend even just a few days with his family, who he hasnít seen in a year and who he likely wonít see for a long time. If he cares about his relationships with them, I donít think another 2 or 3 days will kill him. Thatís just how I see it.
I think many of us will have different views on this, and that's fine. I can understand Harry giving priority to his own family - the one he chose and created and where his future lies: his wife and children - not his brother and father and grandmother. His wife is heavily pregnant at home with their young son and I see it as perfectly natural that he would want to get home to them as soon as possible.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Given his very pregnant wife and small child in Cali why would anyone be surprised that heíd prefer to leave right after the funeral?
Meghan is not due until summer, and fathers sometimes do go away on a business trip for up to two weeks, I am sure she has help and Doria is very close.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Given his very pregnant wife and small child in Cali why would anyone be surprised that he’d prefer to leave right after the funeral?
It really depends on when Meghan is due. She said "summer," which is far enough away that an extra day or two really shouldn't matter. But if she's actually due next week, that would change things. I just don't understand the urgent need to get back to the people he lives with, at the expense of spending any time with relatives he hasn't seen in over a year and may (in his grandmother's case) never get the chance to see again. He's talked about how he regrets being eager to get off the phone with his mother in what turned out to be their last phone call because he wanted to go outside and play. At that time, he was a child, and her death was completely unexpected. But he's an adult now, and he knows his grandmother is 95 and has just lost her husband of 73 years. Nothing he does would surprise me at this point, but if he jets right back home Saturday night and then the baby isn't born until mid-May or later, I think that's a different choice than the one most people would have made.

Now I'm wondering if they didn't purposely misstate the due date for privacy reasons. That's their prerogative, of course, but there are practical consequences. One of them is that when you behave in a way that makes perfect sense for a near-full-term pregnancy but would be unreasonable at six months along, and everyone thinks you're at six or seven months because that's what you chose to tell everyone, people are going to think you're behaving badly even if you really aren't because you're nearly full-term.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

How exactly is are Harry and Meghan behaving badly with this pregnancy? They don’t owe anyone anything. They said she is due in the summer. How one interprets that is on them. Harry going back home immediately after the funeral is hardly a bad thing nor is staying a few days. He will do what is right for him.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think many of us will have different views on this, and that's fine. I can understand Harry giving priority to his own family - the one he chose and created and where his future lies: his wife and children - not his brother and father and grandmother. His wife is heavily pregnant at home with their young son and I see it as perfectly natural that he would want to get home to them as soon as possible.
So basically reject his family? Because they still are his family...Iím not suggesting he stay a month, but from my POV, thatís an awfully cold attitude to take to people you supposedly love. If he could see his family more often, if there werenít a rift that could used at least the beginning of healing, it wouldnít be as big of a deal. The idea that your father, brother, grandmother, etc.. are no longer of any import because you have your own family ...I admit, I canít wrap my head around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
How exactly is are Harry and Meghan behaving badly with this pregnancy? They donít owe anyone anything. They said she is due in the summer. How one interprets that is on them. Harry going back home immediately after the funeral is hardly a bad thing nor is staying a few days. He will do what is right for him.
You said previously that you hope the family can heal at some point. Donít you think itís worth spending a little time with your family to try and lay the foundation of a new beginning? Heís here, why not?

I know you love Harry, but itís mind boggling that you think anyone who believes he should stay a few more days is suggesting something crazy, out of this world.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:44 PM
Commoner

Quote:
So basically reject his family? Because they still are his family...I’m not suggesting he stay a month, but from my POV, that’s an awfully cold attitude to take to people you supposedly love. If he could see his family more often, if there weren’t a rift that could used at least the beginning of healing, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. The idea that your father, brother, grandmother, etc.. are no longer of any import because you have your own family ...I admit, I can’t wrap my head around it.
...those people are not children, they are adults with their own families whose been established for years now. Harry just started his and people wants him to ignore them and priorities the royal household...?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think, because of the bubble restrictions, Harry will catch a flight home as soon as he can. Either late Saturday or Sunday. Perhaps anything with the family can be put on the back burner until Harry possibly returns to the UK at the end of June to be there for the unveiling of Diana's statue. Maybe not. Depends on when his second child is born.

After the funeral Saturday, I think most family members will experience a sense of air being let out of a balloon as the funeral process has been completed and there's a sense of closure. To me, its not the time to worry about family relationships and disagreements and try to mend fences. If it happens that Harry does stay, that's great but I don't really think he will.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:46 PM
Majesty

If it hadn’t been for this pandemic, preventing regular flights across the pond, we don’t know whether things would have developed in the way that they seem to have. Harry might well have been back half a dozen times by now for varied reasons and seen and spoken to his family face to face.

However, Covid has changed many things and even if Harry stayed an extra week there’s no guarantee, with the household bubbles and other regulations that are in place that he would be able to go to CH or Highgrove to see his father and stepmother or to Anmer to meet with his brother and his family.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
So basically reject his family? Because they still are his family...I’m not suggesting he stay a month, but from my POV, that’s an awfully cold attitude to take to people you supposedly love. If he could see his family more often, if there weren’t a rift that could used at least the beginning of healing, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. The idea that your father, brother, grandmother, etc.. are no longer of any import because you have your own family ...I admit, I can’t wrap my head around it.
But with the current Covid restrictions in Britain, I don't think he'd be able to meet with any of them in person, except perhaps outdoors?

It's not like the US where all of the lockdowns are, in essence, merely advisory, save for the limitations on certain business sectors. I'm in Oregon, one of the more restrictive states and even during Christmas, almost our entire family gathered at my parents house for 3-4 days (9 adults & 1 6-mo old, from 4 different households), in spite of our governor's guidance to the contrary.

I don't have a problem with Harry heading back home shortly after the funeral. It would be different if things were looser in the UK, like they are in the US, but I just don't see how Harry can meet with anyone face-to-face right now, especially if it's true that he's at Frogmore Cottage since we know that Eugenie & Jack are also there. The assumption would be that the Brooksbanks are sharing a support/family bubble with the Yorks, which would leave Harry, if he's in the same household at the moment, as part of that bubble, not a Cambridge or Wales support/family bubble.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:51 PM
Commoner

Quote:
To me, I would think it would be important for Harry to spend even just a few days with his family, who he hasn’t seen in a year and who he likely won’t see for a long time. If he cares about his relationships with them, I don’t think another 2 or 3 days will kill him. That’s just how I see it.
For what? What will that accomplish at this point?... Now is hardly the time to address anything, Harry needs to take his butt right back to the family he just started, everything else can wait.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that Harry does not consider his brother, father and grandmother are of any import, but family dynamics can change when people have their own spouses and even more when they have their own nuclear families. Their role in the extended family is different, especially, as with Harry, when there have obviously been frictions in later years which increased when Meghan became a fixture in Harry's life. What were close relationships between siblings as children can cool off over time and not everyone remains close to their siblings. It seems that there are serious problems in Harry's relationship with William and maybe he doesn't want to be anywhere near his brother and just wants to get back to his wife and little son and await the birth of his daughter. Harry has chosen to live independently and some choices he would not have made himself have been imposed upon him and maybe right now he doesn't have a burning desire to fix his relationship with William.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If it hadnít been for this pandemic, preventing regular flights across the pond, we donít know whether things would have developed in the way that they seem to have. Harry might well have been back half a dozen times by now for varied reasons and seen and spoken to his family face to face.

However, Covid has prevented many things and even if Harry stayed an extra week thereís no guarantee, with the regulations that are in place that he would be able to go to CH or Highgrove to see his father and stepmother or to Anmer to meet with his brother and his family.
All fair.

Iíll admit, Itís very possible in the short time Harry is here that he will have some time to chat with his father, etc.. If thatís enough to get the ball rolling in the sense that they can see a possibility of a fresh start, then fine - no issue. They can all still Zoom.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Fine, but if he does that, I will conclude that he simply can’t be bothered with his family anymore. Yes, his father, brother, grandmother, etc..are still his family. He hasn’t seen his family in over a year... and it’s not like they live in the next town - they live 6000 miles away. You said previously that you hope the family can heal at some point. Don’t you think it’s worth spending a little time with your family to try and lay the foundation of a new beginning? He’s here, why not?

I know you love Harry, but it’s mind boggling that you think anyone who believes he should stay a few more days is suggesting something crazy, out of this world.
I think Harry will do what is best for him. It is not my place to judge his decision with his family. I do hope they heal. That hasn’t changed but we have no idea the circumstances. I mean other than the funeral, my guess he not seeing much of anyone. And can he? His 5 day exemption is pretty specific. Lockdown restrictions haven’t lifted.

This is such an extreme take. So unless he stays a few days that means he hates everyone? He will have to quarantine again when he leaves. Maybe he doesn’t want to prolong that due to other commitments? We just have no idea what’s going on but I wish them well with whatever happens.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
But with the current Covid restrictions in Britain, I don't think he'd be able to meet with any of them in person, except perhaps outdoors?

It's not like the US where all of the lockdowns are, in essence, merely advisory, save for the limitations on certain business sectors. I'm in Oregon, one of the more restrictive states and even during Christmas, almost our entire family gathered at my parents house for 3-4 days (9 adults & 1 6-mo old, from 4 different households), in spite of our governor's guidance to the contrary.

I don't have a problem with Harry heading back home shortly after the funeral. It would be different if things were looser in the UK, like they are in the US, but I just don't see how Harry can meet with anyone face-to-face right now, especially if it's true that he's at Frogmore Cottage since we know that Eugenie & Jack are also there. The assumption would be that the Brooksbanks are sharing a support/family bubble with the Yorks, which would leave Harry, if he's in the same household at the moment, as part of that bubble, not a Cambridge or Wales support/family bubble.
But...heís going to be seeing everyone at the funeral, stuff before it actually starts, so obviously heís exposed to them.

To be fair, like I referenced below, itís possible that Harry and Charles (I guess William? Things are likely worse between them) could have some time alone while H is there. Maybe the most important thing will be that they remember they love each other, and they can agree to have conversations on Zoom or whatever. Charles at one point had bad relationships with his parents, and things changed...Misunderstandings, miscommunications...cleared up. They obviously learned to understand and respect each other. Same thing can still happen here. They donít have to unpack all their baggage here - my ONLY concern is wanting this family rift to heal, no matter how long it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I think Harry will do what is best for him. It is not my place to judge his decision with his family. I do hope they heal. That hasnít changed but we have no idea the circumstances. I mean other than the funeral, my guess he not seeing much of anyone. And can he? His 5 day exemption is pretty specific. Lockdown restrictions havenít lifted.

This is such an extreme take. So unless he stays a few days that means he hates everyone? He will have to quarantine again when he leaves. Maybe he doesnít want to prolong that due to other commitments? We just have no idea whatís going on but I wish them well with whatever happens.
Too extreme, thatís why I deleted that part, lol.

My only concern is that this family heal their rift - I guess thatís why I got emotional. Iím just going to sit back and hope that father, son and brothers can lay the foundation of a new beginning. Harry will be having a daughter, soon, and that will be cause for great joy and celebration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm not suggesting that Harry does not consider his brother, father and grandmother are of any import, but family dynamics can change when people have their own spouses and even more when they have their own nuclear families. Their role in the extended family is different, especially, as with Harry, when there have obviously been frictions in later years which increased when Meghan became a fixture in Harry's life. What were close relationships between siblings as children can cool off over time and not everyone remains close to their siblings. It seems that there are serious problems in Harry's relationship with William and maybe he doesn't want to be anywhere near his brother and just wants to get back to his wife and little son and await the birth of his daughter. Harry has chosen to live independently and some choices he would not have made himself have been imposed upon him and maybe right now he doesn't have a burning desire to fix his relationship with William.

Thatís all true. My main concern is frankly Charles and Harry as I think there is much hurt between them rather than anger. I canít bear that father and son have such issues. Iím terribly sad about W and H, but that, I think, is a lot more complicated and probably will take a lot longer to heal...and even then, it might not be the same.

I donít mean to diminish Harryís own nuclear unit, by the way.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Too extreme, that’s why I deleted that part, lol.

My only concern is that this family heal their rift - I guess that’s why I got emotional. I’m just going to sit back and hope that father, son and brothers can lay the foundation of a new beginning. Harry will be having a daughter, soon, and that will be cause for great joy and celebration...
I don't see things changing anytime soon if ever. In the Oprah interview, Harry said he got out (his been wanting to get out for years before Meghan and said as much on many instances...). For that reason, I don't see them returning to royal life unless a lot of changes happen.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:11 PM
Courtier

If I not mistaken doesn't Prince Harry have to quarantine when he get back?
Old 04-14-2021, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
If I not mistaken doesn't Prince Harry have to quarantine when he get back?

Yes he does need to quarantine when he returns to CA if he's not vaccinated. (Native Californians do not refer to our state as "Cali.")
Quote:
Follow the CDPH Travel Advisory

All travelers should follow the CDPH Travel Advisory. It asks that you:
If you are unvaccinated:
  • Avoid non-essential travel
  • If you must travel, get tested 1-3 days before travel, and 3-5 days after travel
  • After travel, self-quarantine for 7 days, no matter what your test results were. If you didn’t get tested, self-quarantine for 10 days.

https://covid19.ca.gov/travel/
Old 04-14-2021, 11:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by toukale View Post
I don't see things changing anytime soon if ever. In the Oprah interview, Harry said he got out (his been wanting to get out for years before Meghan and said as much on many instances...). For that reason, I don't see them returning to royal life unless a lot of changes happen.
The Sussex couple returning to royal life and working for the monarchy will happen when there's daily snowball fights in hell. That is never going to happen. Not in this reality. I don't believe Harry and Meghan would ever *want* to go back nor do I think the BRF, the "Firm" and the British people would ever allow it or embrace it.

What we're talking about here is Harry mending fences with his family. Restoring communication and accepting the things that have happened as being the way they are and moving forward. No one ever is suggesting that the Sussexes return to the fold in the UK. That, in and of itself, is an impossibility after everything that has happened.