The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quite sure if this is too late to the discussion. There was a Telegraph article (published on 2nd April 20201) suggesting that Harry & Meghan were in talks with Quibi, now-defunct streaming service rival to YouTube from early 2019 to January 2020. There was lucrative amount of money involved, in what I could describe as. This revelation to some extent contradicts “didn’t have a plan” upon leaving the Royal family as senior working royals. The article itself is very long.

Harry and Meghan were in talks with video platform a year before ‘Megxit’
The Telegraph has learned the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had discussions with the now defunct Quibi service from early 2019
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2021/04/02/harry-meghan-talks-video-platform-year-megxit/

Archived link to the full article: https://archive.ph/tnH9M

Given I hadn't heard of this video channel before today I am not surprised it failed. Harry and Meghan were just unsuited to royal life. I think Meghan saw it as eternal fame. The Mecca of fame. So did Grace Kelly.

This mainly confirms that 'earning a professional income' was indeed one of the major drivers for the couple. As was clear from their initial statement and subsequent decisions.

And it makes some sense that the American foursome that Meghan relied on didn't really understand her new role - probably other than: "you are now world-famous", so how can we use that to the best of your and our advantage. But was Harry so desperate that he just went along with whatever was put forward?

Multiple sources in the UK and US have confirmed that the Duchess continued to consult her lawyer Rick Genow, her business manager Andrew Meyer and her talent agent Nick Collins, during her time in the Royal family (...) Another key figure who remained in her sphere of external advisers throughout was Keleigh Thomas Morgan of PR firm Sunshine Sachs

(...)

Holed up in a multi-million pound mansion on Vancouver Island over Christmas 2019, the couple are understood to have masterminded their departure from the Royal family with the help of Mr Genow, Mr Meyer, Mr Collins and Ms Thomas Morgan.

Sounds rather problematic and exactly the same behavior as they still show by for example 'did they truly expect us not to talk' (suggesting that suddenly the BRF is naïve instead of Meghan; and yes, of course they did, that is part of the mores of the royal family):
There was a constant dialogue from the couple along the lines of: “Why can’t we do this? You can’t stop us from doing what we want to do".

Meghan was the one controlling the timing of announcements, and doing a lot of the planning,” said one source. “She had a grid and was plotting the cadence and order in which all of their plans would come to fruition. There was a sense that Meghan thought she knew what was best for them.”

Last edited:
Except it wasn't even going to be for income. It was going to be a project with the money going to a charity. They didn't approach the company. The other way around and they also didn't go forward with it after hearing their pitch.

Frankly I don't see how it would have been different than some of the partnerships the other royals have done promoting various initiatives.

To be honest, I am not sure how popular this series will be in the USA, people are so tired of bad news here, that they will probably choose a light comedy instead

I suppose it is "worthy" and inspiring but I agree that in present times, people are more likely to want to watch someting funny or entertaining...

It's ok but honestly they're cashing in on the royal status of Harry. 100% of his appeal belongs ironically to the Crown.
Definitely. In fact, he's doing the same thing he used to do but this time for Netflix and not the Crown.

Everybody is free to make their own choices but this far, I see no great change, only that this time their money for the same thing came from another source which would not have taken him if he wasn't Prince Henry, the Duke of Sussex.

I hope that the people who watch such programs want to see it this time either. Netflix is nothing if not savvy with its deals and partners.

I dont think that when H left, Charles would be expecting his staff to deal with Harry.. He was no longer a working royal and Im sure that C saw him as his son that he loved but had to deal wit himself. But if Harry was ringing up and asking for money or for money to keep on coming indefinitely, I think that Charles would have said "don't call me again until you're prepared to do something for yourself..."

Meghan is probably too pregnant to fly.. so possiblly not

I dont think that when H left, Charles would be expecting his staff to deal with Harry.. He was no longer a working royal and Im sure that C saw him as his son that he loved but had to deal wit himself. But if Harry was ringing up and asking for money or for money to keep on coming indefinitely, I think that Charles would have said "don't call me again until you're prepared to do something for yourself..."

I think Harry didn't understand the boundaries and probably kept nagging about the work issues.

I think Harry didn't understand the boundaries and probably kept nagging about the work issues.

was this before they went away? Because my impression was that harry was implying that he was phoning and saying that Charles should pay his securtiy.. and I can see that Charles would finally say no about that... but that was when they were in Canada.

was this before they went away? Because my impression was that harry was implying that he was phoning and saying that Charles should pay his securtiy.. and I can see that Charles would finally say no about that... but that was when they were in Canada.

I think post split. He didn't understand that they wouldn't deal with that anymore that it was left to work issues and their relationship was w timely private now. He probably.never had to think about it before.

I think post split. He didn't understand that they wouldn't deal with that anymore that it was left to work issues and their relationship was w timely private now. He probably.never had to think about it before.

But they had no owrk issues once they left. I'd say that conversations were all about moving to Canada and where were they going to live and was Charles going to hlep them find a house. Once he'd left, they werne't doing any work anymore...

But they had no owrk issues once they left. I'd say that conversations were all about moving to Canada and where were they going to live and was Charles going to hlep them find a house. Once he'd left, they werne't doing any work anymore...

Charles would have seen that as 'work.' As it was to do with the financial support.

Those who wish to speculate about mental health issues are free to do so at a specialized online forum on psychology - not at TRF. This forum lacks the expertise on the matter and such speculation will continue to be removed.

I feel very sad for Harry today. I hope he will make it to, if not the funeral, a memorial service at some point.

I wonder if they'll go to Prince Philip's funeral.

If the reports are correct that the funeral will be in 7 or 8 days it will be hard as anyone coming from the US has to do 10 days quarantine.

I don't think the British public would appreciate rules being broken for people to attend this funeral in terms of numbers or doing so without quarantining properly.

If the reports are correct that the funeral will be in 7 or 8 days it will be hard as anyone coming from the US has to do 10 days quarantine.

I don't think the British public would appreciate rules being broken for people to attend this funeral in terms of numbers or doing so without quarantining properly.
I doubt the family will appreciate it either. There are newborn babies in the immediate circle. I imagine Harry being there without a proper quarantine may actually prevent Zara and Eugenie, for one, to attend.

Last edited:

For us mere mortals funerals are held up for family members to make it.

But it must have been obvious to the family over a month ago that he was on the way out. Harry could have come then and quarantined to say his goodbyes.

I am sure that we will hear in coming days that many of the family may have managed this in recent weeks. To see him outside in Windsor to say goodbye.

So many families have been affected like this. I have personally known families who had to go and quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks and get to say goodbye to family members. Know they wont be there when the person dies and know they wo t make it a funeral. It is truly dreadful times but I actually feel that with him being at home recently that he may have seen many members of the family in person which is heartening.

Given I hadn't heard of this video channel before today I am not surprised it failed. Harry and Meghan were just unsuited to royal life. I think Meghan saw it as eternal fame. The Mecca of fame. So did Grace Kelly.

i don't think grace and meghan are comparable.

firstly, grace was an A list celebrity way before she married into royalty. 2 years before her wedding she won an oscar. that is way more than meghan's acting career. and back then, monaco was not the glittery, glamorous place it is now - if anything, it was grace who gave monaco fame than the other way around!

secondly, grace devoted herself to monaco and to her new role, and was princess consort for 25 years - meghan hardly made it to 2 years devoted to her public role.

It seems some are gloating over the fact that the Duke of Sussex was not able to see the Duke of Edinburgh on his death bed / gloating over the fact that the Duke may not be able to attend the funeral of his grandfather.

This is rather inappropriate and if you have the urge to abuse the death of the Duke of Edinburgh for continued point scoring in the Sussex discussion you can do so at other social media outlets, not at TRF.

Posts have been removed.

Meghan is probably too pregnant to fly.. so possiblly not

Will depend how far along she is. She did a tour around her 7th month and my guess she is around that now. That said it would be on the advice of her doctor and how she is feeling with the pandemic and whatnot.

So I am not expecting it but we shall see. I will assume Harry is likely on his way. If the plan is for him to be in the UK for a lengthy time, then they might travel together.

Legitimate question because the rules are so very, very different in so many places and changing so quickly...what are the rules going to be regarding funerals in the UK after the regulations change this coming Monday? I saw briefly something about being able to have larger numbers for gatherings like that but I didn't see or maybe didn't look for any information regarding the length of quarantine that would be required, etc.

While I assume that Meghan is probably too far along in her pregnancy to be allowed to fly internationally and they would likely want to keep Archie at home rather than dragging him through an international flight, quarantine, etc., I have no idea what Harry might be looking at in regard to rules/regulations should he choose to make the trip and I think we can all quite rightly surmise that the late DoE would be a stickler for being sure that no rules are broken on his behalf so we should assume that no special passes or circumstances would be given for Harry or any of the German members of the DoE's family who might otherwise wish to be at the funeral.

Last edited:
Legitimate question because the rules are so very, very different in so many places and changing so quickly...what are the rules going to be regarding funerals in the UK after the regulations change this coming Monday? I saw briefly something about being able to have larger numbers for gatherings like that but I didn't see or maybe didn't look for any information regarding the length of quarantine that would be required, etc.

While I assume that Meghan is probably too far along in her pregnancy to be allowed to fly internationally and they would likely want to keep Archie at home rather than dragging him through an international flight, quarantine, etc., I have no idea what Harry might be looking at in regard to rules/regulations should he choose to make the trip and I think we can all quite rightly surmise that the late DoE would be a stickler for being sure that no rules are broken on his behalf so we should assume that no special passes or circumstances would be given for Harry or any of the German members of the DoE's family who might otherwise wish to be at the funeral.

30 people. I don't know what the rules are for the USA.

I doubt she will be there but I would not be shocked or surprised if Harry wasnt either. We dont k ow the due date, the quarantine would have to be both ways...for a day I think it's a bit much

30 people. I don't know what the rules are for the USA.

I doubt she will be there but I would not be shocked or surprised if Harry wasnt either. We dont k ow the due date, the quarantine would have to be both ways...for a day I think it's a bit much

Ah. Goodness, only 30 people. That's not many when you consider that he was a father of four, a grandfather of eight, and a great-grandfather of 10. Though I suppose the great-grandchildren won't be in attendance so that would help with the numbers. Rules in the US tend to vary by state or even local location but, in general, there are no real rules about how many people can be in attendance at any event. It's all up to the common sense, or lack thereof, of the individuals involved.

Well, given all factors, I don't expect to see Meghan there and I rather doubt that Harry will be, either, though I certainly can't know that for sure. That's a shame but given the DoE's recent health battles and his age it's not entirely unexpected that this would be happening. Video calls certainly aren't the same as being there in person but I do hope, for Harry's sake, that he was able to video chat with his grandfather one last time in the past couple of days and I hope that for the sake of all the family they were able to meet outside or in whatever circumstance might have been allowed to say their goodbyes or maybe even introduce the two new babies to their namesake.

Ah. Goodness, only 30 people. That's not many when you consider that he was a father of four, a grandfather of eight, and a great-grandfather of 10. Though I suppose the great-grandchildren won't be in attendance so that would help with the numbers. Rules in the US tend to vary by state or even local location but, in general, there are no real rules about how many people can be in attendance at any event. It's all up to the common sense, or lack thereof, of the individuals involved.

Well, given all factors, I don't expect to see Meghan there and I rather doubt that Harry will be, either, though I certainly can't know that for sure. That's a shame but given the DoE's recent health battles and his age it's not entirely unexpected that this would be happening. Video calls certainly aren't the same as being there in person but I do hope, for Harry's sake, that he was able to video chat with his grandfather one last time in the past couple of days and I hope that for the sake of all the family they were able to meet outside or in whatever circumstance might have been allowed to say their goodbyes or maybe even introduce the two new babies to their namesake.

I would expect the other children, grandchildren and some great grandchildren to be in attendance. Perhaps down as far as Charlotte. It will only be the immediate family I am sure.

Nicholas Witchell seemed to think he would come home for the funeral half an hour ago on the BBC but of course he was only guessing.

I'm guessing that the 10-day quarantine may be the biggest obstacle for Harry to attend the funeral. https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control California is, unfortunately, a hotspot still, so I assume that anyone traveling from California to the U.K. will have to follow all quarantine and testing rules.

(He would have no problem returning to California, there is no government-enforced quarantine, just recommendations. I know you are supposed to quarantine upon entering California, but it's on the honor system . . . . and I know plenty of people who went to Mexico for Spring Break and didn't do any quarantine after.)

There is a chance Harry has been vaccinated with either the one dose Johnson & Johnson or his first dose of the Pfizer or Moderna. His age group was eligible starting last week. It takes a few weeks for any vaccine to be effective though.

I am not sure Harry will be able to make it back to the UK - considering the Covid rules, the Royal family will not want to be seen to break them in many way to be given special treatment. In that case it will be difficult for Harry to return - he could face a lot of negativity if he does considering public opinion and covid rules.

Whilst it will be awful for him if he cant return home for the funeral, it might be best for Harry and Meghan and Archie to remember Prince Philip privately in LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom