The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
To be fair to Harry here, could it be that no one told him his grandfather's condition? Most of us could piece together that "99 years old + released from hospital after more than a month" probably meant "going home to die," but nothing of that nature was publicly reported. And if they wanted to be sure it wouldn't be publicly reported, perhaps they thought it best to just not share those details with Harry.
Is is possible but after he died we were told that the entire family knew and Telegraph sources said that that included PH, because it was a big thing "did they know?!".

In none of their press releases or leaks during the events leading up to the funeral did they say "we didn't know" when they were taking a lot of heat for doing the interview whilst he was in hospital. And they did change the statement from "it's going ahead regardless" to "we would have cancelled if he had died that weekend" which suggests they were made aware of his condition.

Although, they also claimed to be in close contact with HM which I think we can now completely discount.

We know they had *some* contact after the Interview and that it was "unproductive". I would have thought some of that might have been "how could you do that when Grandfather is dying!" albeit that's speculation.

It wasn't hard to piece together the fact that he wasn't likely to hang on long, especially with PC's lockdown dash. Maybe they really didn't know or believed it to be a lie to get them to "stop speaking their truth".

Wouldn't the fact that Harry didn't know he was dying be something that he brought up as another example of his family's "cruelty"?

I don't know. It just seems a little weird that a) he had no idea and B) he wasn't on tenterhooks making sure he arranged for someone to take the call if he was indisposed/asleep. So much so that BP aides had to ask the Embassy to call and then the Embassy had to call the Sheriffs.

I don't necessarily have a problem thinking Harry had blocked his brother's number and we know PC doesn't have a mobile so it's possible aides tried to contact him on his behalf. And the cousins would be dealing with their own parent who had lost a parent and their own grief. And I think talk of them being close to Eugenie has been exaggerated.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

Meghan mentioned in the Oprah interview that she had known Eugenie before Harry.

Old 05-29-2021, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Meghan mentioned in the Oprah interview that she had known Eugenie before Harry.
IIRC Eugenie had some connections with Soho House and Misha Nonoo's ex husband Andrew Gilkes (he was her boss) so that's probably where she knew Eugenie from.

I'm not convinced it was a close friendship and there was nothing about it at the time of the engagement when they said Eugenie and Jack were they first to meet her because they were neighbours. Wouldn't they want to emphasis her being friends with her? Much was made about Eugenie and Cressida being close friends.

The Frogmore arrangement notwithstanding I'm not convinced they're close now (see timing of recent announcement) but if they were, wouldn't she be able to tell him "Grandfather is dying, keep your phone on"?
Old 05-29-2021, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It's odd but I think Harry's not in great demand for anything other than what he's already done as far as trashing his family. That isn't something that is sustainable in the entertainment field but rather a "flash in the pan" as something he's doing that has never been done before. TV viewers in the US most likely do not remember the Duke and Duchess of Windsor other than the fact that Wallis Simpson was an American. Even they didn't publicly trash David's family.

I kind of see Harry already at the stage of his "fame" where he's similar to Eric Roberts and Pat Boone hawking walk in bathtubs and Joe Namath telling senior Americans to get what they're entitled to in Medicare benefits. These people, along with Harry are known to the American public for being famous once upon a time and a familiar face. Nothing more.
Eric Roberts, Pat Boone, and Joe Namath IMO are 'crying all the way to the bank.' Namath is a sports legend and I doubt needed this money to support himself now. Pat Boone is retired from singing, and probably has lots of financial security, not necessary for him to do the commercials. maybe he wants to stay active and not just sit home. Eric Roberts still gets movie work. Betty White became famous again when doing commercials and got more TV work. I don't consider them 'has beens.'

The Duke of Windsor made it known how he resented Wallis not getting the HRH. He was hardly silent about that.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The thing that has been bugging me is that Firm policy is dictated by the Crown. SO essentially if the Queen said Charles sort out the nonsense everything would be done to sort it out. The fact that according to the Sussex's they are/ were in contact with HMTQ and the DOE but not Charles seems counter to this. If Charles is not in touch - I don't think the Queen is either. I just don't see the Queen, Charles and William been on different points here.
But then again it seems like some of the younger royals - notably Eugenie has been in touch. I suppose they must have been to arrange things with Frogmore.
Charles and Harry were speaking after that brief time when apparently Charles wouldn’t take H’s phone calls.... Does that mean they were in touch? I don’t know. Given how inaccurate some of the Sussexes comments have been, it’s hard to take them at face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Is is possible but after he died we were told that the entire family knew and Telegraph sources said that that included PH, because it was a big thing "did they know?!".

In none of their press releases or leaks during the events leading up to the funeral did they say "we didn't know" when they were taking a lot of heat for doing the interview whilst he was in hospital. And they did change the statement from "it's going ahead regardless" to "we would have cancelled if he had died that weekend" which suggests they were made aware of his condition.

Although, they also claimed to be in close contact with HM which I think we can now completely discount.

We know they had *some* contact after the Interview and that it was "unproductive". I would have thought some of that might have been "how could you do that when Grandfather is dying!" albeit that's speculation.

It wasn't hard to piece together the fact that he wasn't likely to hang on long, especially with PC's lockdown dash. Maybe they really didn't know or believed it to be a lie to get them to "stop speaking their truth".

Wouldn't the fact that Harry didn't know he was dying be something that he brought up as another example of his family's "cruelty"?

I don't know. It just seems a little weird that a) he had no idea and B) he wasn't on tenterhooks making sure he arranged for someone to take the call if he was indisposed/asleep. So much so that BP aides had to ask the Embassy to call and then the Embassy had to call the Sheriffs.

I don't necessarily have a problem thinking Harry had blocked his brother's number and we know PC doesn't have a mobile so it's possible aides tried to contact him on his behalf. And the cousins would be dealing with their own parent who had lost a parent and their own grief. And I think talk of them being close to Eugenie has been exaggerated.
Sherlock Holmes said “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth“. Granted, it’s not quite impossible, but if we assume that Harry being completely unaware of his grandfather’s condition is close to impossible to believe, then our other options - however improbable - are likely the truth. In this case, one of those options is that Harry didn’t care enough to keep even one phone on. It’s not even that hard for me to believe, to be honest.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
A spokesperson for the Sheriff's office confirmed that they were asked to visit because no one was responding to phone calls and Harry needed to know urgently and that they gave a message to the gate guard for Harry to please call the Embassy, so it's true.

We were told all the family knew when he came out of hospital that this was the end and everyone had the chance to come and say goodbye. Was Harry not told this (due to his own actions) or did he not believe it? However at one point we were told Harry was self isolating because he knew the end was near.

If he knew it was the end why wasn't his phone on or why didn't he tell the guards/staff that they might have a 3am phone call? Did they both just sleep through the calls? Harry is not a stranger to the middle of the night bad news call.

This blows any "we keep in regular chatty Zoom contact with HM" out of the water. And possibly another nail in the "we're close to Eugenie/Jack".

We don't know if his family tried to contact him personally before asking the Embassy to try.

If not, it seems relations were so bad that either they knew he wouldn't pick up or not one of his relatives felt comfortable being the ones to pick up the phone and as Claire says they're no longer part of the family Whatsapp groups we've heard about.

This isn't necessarily a huge deal in and of itself but it potentially opens up more questions and contexts about family relations 1 month after Oprah and post Gayle King's "unproductive" statements.
I think it’s likely someone from the family - most likely Charles or William - tried to personally contact Harry before BP got the embassy involved, but they would have known what time it was in California, and when Harry didn’t answer the initial call or text they probably assumed his phone was turned off and he wouldn’t be reachable that way for several hours. Obviously it was important for Harry to be made aware of the situation before the press announcement, so the issue was time sensitive. If there had been any way to keep news of Philip’s death private until morning in California, they may have just held the news for a few hours and called him again once they knew he’d be up.

I don’t think harry and Meghan are in as close contact with members of the extended family as they’ve implied, and I don’t think Charles, especially, would have had it in him that day to expend much personal effort to track Harry down, but I do think the first thing they tried would have been contacting Harry directly.

It’s interesting, though, that the family/their staff didn’t directly contact Harry’s security. I wonder if they weren’t given this contact info, or if someone did have it but it was missed in the turmoil immediately following the death.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Sherlock Holmes said “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth“. Granted, it’s not quite impossible, but if we assume that Harry being completely unaware of his grandfather’s condition is close to impossible to believe, then our other options - however improbable - are likely the truth. In this case, one of those options is that Harry didn’t care enough to keep even one phone on. It’s not even that hard for me to believe, to be honest.
I cant imagine that they dont have some staff who have to leave their phones on at night, to deal with emergency calls, even if they are so fast asleep.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Serene Highness

When Prince Philip was in hospital, there was a lot of talk about Harry being on standby to fly home. There was even talk that he'd deign to cancel the Oprah interview if his grandfather died before it was broadcast - gosh, how jolly considerate of him. OK, it may have looked as if Philip had rallied a bit, but I can't believe that Harry had no idea how ill he was.

This all seems like a storm in a teacup. It was 3 o'clock in the morning. Maybe everyone did just fail to hear the phone ringing - it's hardly unknown for people to sleep through noise - and the Palace decided that it was easier to send someone round than to mess about looking for security's staff's phone numbers.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
When Prince Philip was in hospital, there was a lot of talk about Harry being on standby to fly home. There was even talk that he'd deign to cancel the Oprah interview if his grandfather died before it was broadcast - gosh, how jolly considerate of him. OK, it may have looked as if Philip had rallied a bit, but I can't believe that Harry had no idea how ill he was.

This all seems like a storm in a teacup. It was 3 o'clock in the morning. Maybe everyone did just fail to hear the phone ringing - it's hardly unknown for people to sleep through noise - and the Palace decided that it was easier to send someone round than to mess about looking for security's staff's phone numbers.
in an ordinary house maybe but surely in a large house like Harry's there are several live in staff, security officers who are on duty and have an office with a phone as well as mobiles. And I agree that harry must have been aware that Philip was very ill and the next phone call might be one to say "h'es getting weaker" or "He's passed away".
Old 05-29-2021, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
and the next phone call might be one to say "h'es getting weaker" or "He's passed away".
Sometimes one does simply not want to take such calls or to open such letters. And then people very often don't answer the door bell too...

It might look not very adult to avoid the inevitable ... - but it is understandable!

In German we call this "Ostrich tactics" - stick your head into the sand and pretend, nothing is happening...
Old 05-29-2021, 06:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Sometimes one does simply not want to take such calls or to open such letters. And then people very often don't answer the door bell too...

It might look not very adult to avoid the inevitable ... - but it is understandable!

In German we call this "Ostrich tactics" - stick your head into the sand and pretend, nothing is happening...
really? Harry was so upset about the impending death of his grandfather that he felt "I wont take the call"? He knows that he will ahve to prepare to go to London, and self isolate there, to go to his grandfather's funeral.. and he and Meghan just decided they would not answer the phone..and then it wouldn't happen?
Old 05-29-2021, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I cant imagine that they dont have some staff who have to leave their phones on at night, to deal with emergency calls, even if they are so fast asleep.
You’d think. Is it possible that he didn’t want to accept any phone calls from his family ? I find that hard to believe, but then what explains it? Unless H and M don’t think ahead to possible emergencies.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

You’d think. Is it possible that he didn’t want to accept any phone calls from his family ? I find that hard to believe, but then what explains it? Unless H and M don’t think ahead to possible emergencies.
well that would be the point of the staff. If Harry didn't want to talk to his family, teh staff can answer the phone and tell him that this is an important call that he has to make to the Embassy/Palace
Old 05-29-2021, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

This all seems like a storm in a teacup. It was 3 o'clock in the morning. Maybe everyone did just fail to hear the phone ringing - it's hardly unknown for people to sleep through noise - and the family and palace senior staff decided that it was easier to send someone round than to mess about looking for security's staff's phone numbers.
That’s just too boring. It had to be more. Lol! Honestly sometimes the obvious answer is it. It was 3AM. They were sleeping. I could very well see the palace just figuring going in person could be easier than calling repeatedly in the early hours. Sometimes it really is just that simple.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Not when your beloved grandfather is on his deathbed, imho, just indifference
Old 05-29-2021, 07:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
That’s just too boring. It had to be more. Lol! Honestly sometimes the obvious answer is it. It was 3AM. They were sleeping. I could very well see the palace just figuring going in person could be easier than calling repeatedly in the early hours. Sometimes it really is just that simple.
Occam's Razor. In layman's terms, the simplest explanation is usually the best one.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
Not when your beloved grandfather is on his deathbed, imho, just indifference
I don't agree. I am sure Harry was very sad about the prospect of his 99 year old grandfather dying but there was absolutely nothing he could do to stop it happening. Philip was 99 years old and was at home in the comfort of his own bed. That has to be the best way to go when your time comes. So why not try and get some sleep without having to worry about being woken up in the middle of the night by a phone call from a relative you are not getting on very well with at the moment who would be likely to screech at you for not being there.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Please, please, can someone explain to him the meaning of the words : privacy and decency ?
Old 05-29-2021, 07:35 PM

Climate change

I don’t think this is the first time Harry has linked climate change to other causes he promotes. He is right, it is all connected. Obviously, climate change is a big stresser, especially if you live in California where fires are more common each year.

The problem is that climate change is a HUGE issue. So, combining two separate and big issues in a small interview is going to muddy the waters, so to speak. The focus is lost, even if the intention is good.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't agree. I am sure Harry was very sad about the prospect of his 99 year old grandfather dying but there was absolutely nothing he could do to stop it happening. Philip was 99 years old and was at home in the comfort of his own bed. That has to be the best way to go when your time comes. So why not try and get some sleep without having to worry about being woken up in the middle of the night by a phone call from a relative you are not getting on very well with at the moment who would be likely to screech at you for not being there.
You seriously think that Charles or William, who were deep in mourning, would have yelled at Harry and made this moment about them instead of their father and grandfather? Never mind that they were ok with Harry leaving (though not with how he went about it).

Closed Thread