The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
This imminent analysis is what makes me not sure what to think of Harry making this extra effort to come for the funeral in the times of COVID when it's going to take away much of the funeral being about PP. Of course, it wouldn't have been quiet if he had chosen not to come either and I can't decide which is worse.

Harry wanting to go back for his grandfather's funeral is understandable. God knows that I made a hasty rush at midnight so I could attend my gradmother's funeral. But I also made a rush to the postal station, a few days ago, to congratulate her via telepost when her phone died on her birthday. You do things for people when they still live. No amount of grief after they are dead can make up for what you didn't do (or did) when they were alive. Once again, the things turn to be all about Harry - is the Queen going to heal the rift (as if that's what she should be doing right now), where he's going to walk in the procession. A good deal of everything will be about Harry and not Philip. I hope I'm wrong.
If it was announced that he wasn't coming due to covid and supporting his heavily pregnant wife there would be thousands of articles analysing whether he was banned or refused to go with discussion about the rift and Meghan and everything else. I don't think it can be avoided either way thanks to their recent behaviour. He can never make up for the hurt that this last year may have caused his grandfather but also if he didn't come then he and the rest may regret it for a long time personally speaking. And the last thing we need is another potential interview where he complains he wasn't allowed to attend whether that was factual or not.

However I don't think things are currently all about Harry. Some certainly because of his living in California and recent events but there's actually less *so far* than I imagined, although I have been keeping mostly off twitter so I don't know what's going on in that cesspool.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
If it was announced that he wasn't coming due to covid and supporting his heavily pregnant wife there would be thousands of articles analysing whether he was banned or refused to go with discussion about the rift and Meghan and everything else. I don't think it can be avoided either way thanks to their recent behaviour. He can never make up for the hurt that this last year may have caused his grandfather but also if he didn't come then he and the rest may regret it for a long time personally speaking. And the last thing we need is another potential interview where he complains he wasn't allowed to attend whether that was factual or not.

However I don't think things are currently all about Harry. Some certainly because of his living in California and recent events but there's actually less *so far* than I imagined, although I have been keeping mostly off twitter so I don't know what's going on in that cesspool.
I do not know about the rest, but he will surely regret it.

I agree. Nothing has been either about him or Meghan. Any news about them is being met with negativity.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
This imminent analysis is what makes me not sure what to think of Harry making this extra effort to come for the funeral in the times of COVID when it's going to take away much of the funeral being about PP. Of course, it wouldn't have been quiet if he had chosen not to come either and I can't decide which is worse.

Harry wanting to go back for his grandfather's funeral is understandable. God knows that I made a hasty rush at midnight so I could attend my gradmother's funeral. But I also made a rush to the postal station, a few days before her sudden death, to congratulate her via telepost when her phone died on her birthday. You do things for people when they still live. No amount of grief after they are dead can make up for what you didn't do (or did) when they were alive. Once again, the things turn to be all about Harry - is the Queen going to heal the rift (as if that's what she should be doing right now), where he's going to walk in the procession. A good deal of everything will be about Harry and not Philip. I hope I'm wrong.
I mean you are making it about Harry. He hasn't even been seen yet and will be there to grieve and support his family. Charles, Anne, Andrew (!!), and the Wessexes are all speaking of him. The focus is on Philip where it should be.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think Meghan could very well have been cautioned against travel by her physician, but I also think if she weren’t pregnant there would have been another reason found for her not to go - COVID, or Archie still being quite young and not wanting to travel with him/leave him, etc. Meghan’s made her thoughts on the BRF clear enough to make me think she wouldn’t want to go to the funeral under any circumstances and I’d also bet the family is equally relieved that she’s staying home. To me, this doesn’t reflect poorly on any of them - Philip’s death doesn’t magically erase everything that’s happened and I don’t blame them for not wanting to have to smile and make nice at such an emotional time.
I agree that it’s best Meghan isn’t there.
I agree so much with you! I will never get it from Harry , knowing his grandfather was 99 and coming out of Hospital , he should had gone to see him before. We know 99 your end is close, when he has the power to travel or take any plane to go. He is too self-centered including his wife.
I am sure his time there will not be easy with his brother or the rest of the family
Old 04-11-2021, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

[.....]
Yes he will be there in support of his grandmother. Just like they all are. The press will be the press. They all talking on Andrew making a public appearance today. Also Sophie speaking on Philip's final moments. They will highlight when the Cambridges make their appearance. They will be present a lot of things. It is their job.

Overall the focus rightfully on Philip and the Queen.

Anyways. The Queen and Philip's children are the ones we are seeing right now and that makes complete sense. He is their father. This is I believe what most expected to be happening.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

A number of completely off topic posts have been deleted, along with some that are overly argumentative and add nothing to the topic of the thread.

Please pay attention to the thread topic when you post.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Not sure why people don't believe a doctor wouldn't recommend a woman in her third trimester of a high risk pregnancy not travel over 20 hours on a plane to/from a country that is in lock down with a new variant of the corona virus floating around.

As for homebirth. People said that with Archie. They said a lot of things about that pregnancy which was mostly wrong. No one has a clue except Meghan, Harry, and her doctor. Let's keep it real.

That said I think Meghan is due early June.

In the end I think it is best for all parties that Meghan remains in the US. Harry going solo will also give him some alone time with his family and it is much needed.
HM said that Harry and his wife and child were family. In ordinary conditions, I think Meghan should go she is family too and they need to be together at family events. I don't think there will be time for much alone time. And Harry did say he and his grandparents skyped during the pandemic. I think perhaps the issues are mostly with his brother and they should work things out privately. I don't think it "best" for a family not to greet the beloved wife of a member as family. It makes things more difficult later and it gets worse. And families have been through tragedy of COVID (losing family members) all the more reason for family united and reconciliation.

They should all be united to honor Philip. That is the basis of all of this. Nothing else IMO.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:11 PM
Serene Highness

We're no longer in full lockdown, and the infection rate across England is now down to below 30 per 100,000. However, it's unwise for a heavily pregnant woman to fly, especially all the way from Los Angeles to London.

Prince Philip's sister went into labour on a plane, the plane tried to make an emergency landing, it crashed, and everyone on board was killed. OK, that's an extreme example, and it was nearly a century ago on a small private plane, but even so. As for Harry, it's not unusual for there to be some awkwardness between relatives at a funeral - the Queen Mother and the Duchess of Windsor at the Duke of Windsor's funeral spring to mind - but I'm sure everyone will manage to be polite to each other.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:31 PM
Commoner

As the previous poster mentioned, it is unwise for a heavily pregnant woman to fly many
miles. If Prince Harry did not go to his beloved grandfather's funeral there would probably be an big uproar about that.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I mean you are making it about Harry. He hasn't even been seen yet and will be there to grieve and support his family. Charles, Anne, Andrew (!!), and the Wessexes are all speaking of him. The focus is on Philip where it should be.
I am no fan of Harry at this time, but I agree with you. H will have to live with regrets if he has them, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t get to say a final goodbye to his grandfather.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCats View Post
As the previous poster mentioned, it is unwise for a heavily pregnant woman to fly many
miles. If Prince Harry did not go to his beloved grandfather's funeral there would probably be an big uproar about that.
In some ways it would be better if he stayed home. His presence risks Philip's funeral being turned into media focus on Harry, his reactions, his family's reactions and public reactions to him and that is not what the occasion is about at all.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
In some ways it would be better if he stayed home. His presence risks Philip's funeral being turned into media focus on Harry, his reactions, his family's reactions and public reactions to him and that is not what the occasion is about at all.
If so, that is the media's problem. I don't think the royal family should let the media stand in the way of what is right and that is letting all his children and grandchildren mourn their grandfather and pay their respects by attending his funeral.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That may be true, but Harry still has the right to attend his grandfather’s funeral with the rest of his family. We can only imagine what Philip must have thought of Harry’s actions lately, and it’s especially unfortunate that the uproar Harry and Meghan created with the Oprah interview coincided with the end of Philip’s life, but he was Harry’s grandfather and that trumps every other concern.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Courtier

At JFK’s November 24, state funeral, Prince Phillip represented the royal family. The Queen’s pregnancy prevented her from traveling to the U.S.A.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't think it does. Harry is hardly of interest at the moment. The Queen is
Old 04-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
If so, that is the media's problem. I don't think the royal family should let the media stand in the way of what is right and that is letting all his children and grandchildren mourn their grandfather and pay their respects by attending his funeral.
Exactly....and if people on Twitter want to freak out, that’s their problem. This isn’t about them and their petty issues.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
The public and the media are not going to be having access to any of the funeral proceedings. They will see what we see with the funeral service being televised live on BBC. No crowds will gather to gawk and I believe the media will not be filming any of the procession outside from Windsor Castle to St. George's Chapel. This will be a pretty seclusive and private family funeral. Just what Philip wanted.

There's really not much the public and the media can make out of anything that'd focus on Harry. He'll just be among the his family at a funeral service for his grandfather.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The media does create the drama. I agree.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The public and the media are not going to be having access to any of the funeral proceedings. They will see what we see with the funeral service being televised live on BBC. No crowds will gather to gawk and I believe the media will not be filming any of the procession outside from Windsor Castle to St. George's Chapel. This will be a pretty seclusive and private family funeral. Just what Philip wanted.

There's really not much the public and the media can make out of anything that'd focus on Harry. He'll just be among the his family at a funeral service for his grandfather.
I thought it was likely they were going to film the procession?

It's a much more intimate funeral than it would have been under any other circumstance but as in the infamous Commonwealth service every look *will* be scrutinised and narratives created even if there's nothing to see.

However, Harry definitely still has absolutely every right to attend assuming everything is kept Covid safe.

Let's face it if he wasn't attending there would still be articles written about it from every conceivable angle. How he was banned from attending, how he refused to attend, how Meghan wouldn't let him attend, how HM/Charles/William wouldn't let him, how betrayed he feels, how upset because of Covid, how betrayed his family feels", Gayle King's imput etc. It was inevitable either way.

That said I don't think there has been a huge amount of coverage about Harry so far at all.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Let's face it if he wasn't attending there would still be articles written about it from every conceivable angle. How he was banned from attending, how he refused to attend, how Meghan wouldn't let him attend, how HM/Charles/William wouldn't let him, how betrayed he feels, how upset because of Covid, how betrayed his family feels", Gayle King's imput etc. It was inevitable either way.

That said I don't think there has been a huge amount of coverage about Harry so far at all.
I don't know about everyone else but I am purposely *not* looking to read any such articles written along the veins of what some person opinionates about with Harry attending or not attending his grandfather's funeral. It's a choice we have to *not* read this kind of claptrap written to generate green dollars for the tabloids.

I will watch the funeral on BBC because I'm saddened about the death of the Duke of Edinburgh yet want to be part of celebrating his very long and very productive life. That's really what its all about next Saturday, to me, and nothing else.