The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

I’m reading a book on medieval queens. And this passage from William of Malmesbury observed the following about Queen Matilda, wife of Henry. It’s nearly 1,000 years old, but still fits IMO. To be clear, before I quote him, I am not saying this is all the motivates Harry or Meghan. By any stretch. But the passage did resonate with me:

“For the desire for fame is so rooted in the human mind that hardly anybody is satisfied with the reward of a good conscience, but is fondly anxious.”

Part of what I see in Harry and Meghan is a desire for attention and validation. On their terms, of course. But it’s still there IMO. Otherwise....why be so very public about everything. (Yes- I do think they think they’re helping people at times. But it also smacks of attention getting, revenge, lashing out, validation, seeking to demonstrate that they were right to leave- after not getting their HIHO plan approved- of course.)

Old 05-17-2021, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is aptly said that we all play the leading character in our lives. Harry sure is!

Harry is basking in the limelight right now. - But the light is blinding.
He can't see his fellow actors, he can't see the extras and above all he can't see the audience - nor the critics scribbling away on the front row.

He is performing, awaiting the applause he is sure must come.

- It's really a Greek tragedy we are seeing. Except, this is no play.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is the best request for firing them immediately as these so-called "royal aides" have no any say on this matter and should know their place.
Im sure they do know their place which is to give advice to teh royals.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:16 PM

His mother recognized it very early:

What did she say?

I'm not worried about William, but what will become of Harry?
Old 05-17-2021, 06:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As I've not listened to the podcast and only rely on what has been related here, has Harry really ever mentioned anything at all in regards to a good support system he has in place? Is he actively seeking professional therapy at all? Or has he roadblocked everyone that has ever been in any way, shape or form there for him besides Meghan and declared the bunch of them the source of all his problems?

T.
I find it hard to believe that he is NOT seeing a therapist.. but OTOH, its hard to believe that a good therapist would really advise him to make these public attacks on people. So perhaps he's not seeing anyone. So how does he plan to use all this to help others? Surely, as he's not a professional the best thing would be to advise people watching his programme about mental helath to seek help from a counsellor.. and if he's given up on therapy, how can he do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crown View Post

What did she say?

Can you quote where you heard this please? I seem to remember Diana saying something like "Harry's the naughty one, like me, always in trouble"... but I doubt if she meant that seriously....
Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought what Diana said was: They will take care of William. I have to look out for Harry, he has my brains.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crown View Post

What did she say?

Diana was worried about William since he would be one to be monarch. Diana expected fully to live a normal life span so I doubt she'd have worried about what happened to Harry. Diana did not think anything "wrong" with Harry. She said William was a "deep thinker" and Harry was the mischievous one.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It is aptly said that we all play the leading character in our lives. Harry sure is!

Harry is basking in the limelight right now. - But the light is blinding.
He can't see his fellow actors, he can't see the extras and above all he can't see the audience - nor the critics scribbling away on the front row.

He is performing, awaiting the applause he is sure must come.

- It's really a Greek tragedy we are seeing. Except, this is no play.
His behavior is no way indicating that he’s basking in it. He’s just angry, lashing out and wants the world to know it.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I find it hard to believe that he is NOT seeing a therapist.. but OTOH, its hard to believe that a good therapist would really advise him to make these public attacks on people. So perhaps he's not seeing anyone. So how does he plan to use all this to help others? Surely, as he's not a professional the best thing would be to advise people watching his programme about mental helath to seek help from a counsellor.. and if he's given up on therapy, how can he do that?
I agree - in fact, I said the same thing earlier. No qualified therapist would encourage Harry to tear into his family like he has; they'd advise him to speak to his father or other family members, tell them how he feels.......but, of course, that presupposes that Harry wants to work things out with them. I don't think he does, not based on his actions. The therapist would also advise him to try and work out his issues in their sessions - that's what therapy is for. How is Harry setting a good example for anyone in tearing into his family? I think it's incredibly irresponsible, frankly.

I think it's only going to get worse.......but, in a sense, not for Charles and the BRF. By that, I mean that it WILL be bad for them because I think they'll be hurt (especially Charles.....), but Harry will also come off looking bad. Then again, when the Diana segment of this Oprah series airs........whew.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:09 PM
Majesty

When did anyone from Apple, Harpo Productions or anyone else, including Oprah or Harry, announce that there was to be a Diana segment on their new show? I can believe that Harry may go into the trauma he felt when he walked behind his mother’s coffin at some point in the forthcoming show, just as several years ago William also mentioned how he felt doing it. However I doubt that there will be a whole segment on Diana at any time.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 PM
Majesty

A nice photo of Harry and Meghan taken from the trailer for The Me You Can’t See, with both of them looking very bright and happy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PHarry_Meghan
Old 05-17-2021, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When did anyone from Apple, Harpo Productions or anyone else, including Oprah or Harry, announce that there was to be a Diana segment on their new show? I can believe that Harry may go into the trauma he felt when he walked behind his mother’s coffin at some point in the forthcoming show, just as several years ago William also mentioned how he felt doing it. However I doubt that there will be a whole segment on Diana at any time.
I posted the link earlier ...it’s near the end. I didn’t mean they’d be doing an entire segment on Diana - I meant the segment where she’s talked about. I’m expecting the worst.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...box=1621261223
Old 05-17-2021, 09:38 PM
Majesty

Thanks. However, according to Chris Ship’s Twitter today, it is his understanding that there won’t be a discussion about Diana and her funeral on the series.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:01 PM
Nobility

Harry's whining about his family was ridiculous. Genetic pain? Wrong side of the family, me thinks.

He's strangely silent about the Spencers, really. They aren't the most pain-free family either but this far, his lips have been locked. Could he be a little afraid that his uncle will actually reply and he won't like it?

I'm curious why all the blame and "genetic" pain should go to Charles. Diana didn't have the greatest relationship with her own mother either, did she? And I never really knew if she pushed her stepmother down the stairs or just claimed she had done so (and been disturbingly proud of it in either case). But somehow, it's all the Windsors' fault? The Spencers are "genetic pain" free? Surely I'd think the reverse is true. If we have to compare. In comparison, Charles' relationship with his parents looks positively stellar, ill-advised interview or not.

But the Spencers don't adhere to the Never Complain, Never Explain rule. Earl Spencer certainly didn't at Diana's funeral. And they didn't get the blame for Harry's genetic pain. I found this very calculating.

The ridiculous notion that Harry doesn't know what he's doing and he's manipulated by evil Meghan needs to die, really.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:03 PM
Serene Highness

[...]

On the Harry subject, I've been a fan of Armchair Expert for a long time and I particularly enjoy listening to conversations between Dax and very high achieving people in various fields. That's the essence of his episodes--there's always something interesting to learn about the speaker because they're often highly successful artists, and experts. I couldn't finish the Harry episode because I'm sorry to say, after listening to so many achievers talk with Dax and their insightful comments, this was a letdown. It just wasn't interesting.

Also, since this is the first time I'm just listening to him and not hearing and watching words coming out of his mouth--sorry to say this but English accents are usually so sexy and his has to be the only one that's not as he sounds mumbly. I can't believe I'd skip a podcast episode featuring royalty over Seth Rogen but I did just that in this one.

Was reflecting after that I used to be apathetic to Harry, then found him charming when he started doing his Invictus, etc., then got super excited when he met and got engaged to Meghan, was an absolute fan in the first few months and was quite defensive when she did the Africa interview, to "meh", to apathy, to active dislike.. lol thanks for the rollercoaster of emotions as a royal watcher, Sussexes.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I believe he *thinks* he's doing this to help out others. There's a time and a place though to be able to really speak out on one's issues but the public domain is not one of them. Especially if you're going to involve the character and reputation of other people. Especially people that are well known as public figures around the world.

There's a reason that people feel safe within recovery groups or group therapy sessions. It's a staunch rule that whatever is said there, stays there. I can't see any mental health professional applauding Harry for what he's doing right now in the public domain. His words and actions tend to make me believe that he's winging all this "mental health therapy" on his own without any real professional guidance whatsoever.
Yes, I cannot see the therapist who helped Harry a number of years ago supporting Harry in what he is now saying. Like you said, this is not AT ALL group therapy. I cannot see anyone (except maybe Dr Phil) encouraging this sort of disclosure.
In my experience most people enter therapy because of issues in their lives or things that have happened that they need help in processing. Because we all have families of origin and perhaps our own families as well when we become adults, most issues are relational. The healthy way to work through these issues is within the family system getting help from a therapist for insights and support if you cannot do that on your own with support from friends and other family members. Yes, it is important to talk about feelings to others but in settings with appropriate boundaries to protect everyone involved. Harry has no boundaries in sharing his personal story with “the world” and will not experience healing by talking to anyone and everyone who will listen. These relational issues he has with his family (particularly his father) can only be solved with those people - if he is truly interested in repairing relationships which I’m beginning to doubt.

The sharing of all these things by celebrities on TV turns those who watch into voyeurs of a sort. The trailer flashed a bunch of celebrities who look emotional and that they are sharing personal stories. Oprah is not a licensed therapist, nor is Harry. What they are doing is very different from having someone talk about suicidal ideation, for example, and then have someone with appropriate credentials who knows how to treat this explain to viewers what to do and how to contact someone for help if they are feeling suicidal. Also it is a good opportunity to explain some things about suicide (using suicide just as an example) that people may not know or have been misinformed. For example, many people think that “you shouldn’t ask someone if they are thinking about hurting themselves because that will give them the idea to do it.” Nothing could be further from the truth. If you are concerned about a friend or family member, you should ask them directly and then get help from a licensed mental health counselor.

So far this new Oprah and Harry thing sounds like a lot of “it’s important to talk about it” which it is, but not to everyone and on TV. I really fear it could make things worse for some viewers and feels really, really irresponsible to me.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There is no way he is currently seeing a licensed therapist. At least not an ethical one.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:17 AM
Aristocracy

I did chuckle to hear a descendent of George III calling the First Amendment "bonkers."

I assume Harry was referring to the freedom of speech, but if he was, in fact, referring to the freedom of the press, well, that was a reaction to the heavy press censorship by the British government back when his ancestor was King.

I'm guessing his issue is with freedom of speech and Archwell's charitable mission of eliminating false stories and trolling on the internet (paraphrasing). And I said this when they first moved to the US- they moved to a country with, for better or worse, the broadest protections for speech and smallest protections for the privacy of public persons, which is going to make their mission that much harder.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Harry hasn't much credibility lately.
That's what happens when you are caught out in so many discrepancies.

Neither has his wife, who claimed that she had to google Harry because she had no idea who he was.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...nce-Harry.html
Old 05-18-2021, 01:15 AM
Majesty

Meghan was pictured holding the magazine in which she’d written an article about sunglasses. So now she is supposed to have known all about the British royal family because she’s been seen with a mag which has a photo of Kate on the front!

Meghan was working on Suits at the time and so was a celebrity. Celebs are asked to hold countless things in their hands for publicity photos, souvenirs, footballs, cups, photos, dozens of things. And I am absolutely sure they know the details of each and every object, especially years later!

And while some Americans do know quite a bit about the British royal family, many millions of others know only vague outlines, what the Queen looks like, how beautiful and stylish Diana was, her funeral, some things about her sons, royal weddings and so on.

That might well have been Meghan, who decided to Google Harry to get more details about him.Unless she’d been a fan it’s extremely unlikely that she knew much more than he’d walked behind his mother’s coffin as a boy, been to the US a couple of times, met the Obamas, had been screamed at by female staff in the Capitol building on a visit, probably bits and pieces like that.

She obviously wanted to know more of who he was as a person, what he’d done in his life. Meghan didn’t claim complete ignorance of who Harry was as she stated in the engagement interview that like most Americans she knew about the Royal Family but unlike British people she hadn’t grown up with them and so didn’t know much about their lives. She repeated on the Oprah interview that she hadn’t known very much about the royal family.

Closed Thread