The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 11:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
I just listened to the podcast, I am shocked by the amount of curse words that the interviewer and Harry use, does he think that this will make him dearer to the US audience.

I haven’t listened to it, and based on what you said- and what I read in another article on this subject- I’d never make it through to the end.

I detest excessive cursing. You can express yourself without being vulgar.

It doesn’t endear him to this member of the US public. (Does Dax Shepherd tend to curse a lot? Was this Harry imitating him to connect? Or was this Harry being Harry? IOW- in his everyday life does he really curse a lot?)

Old 05-16-2021, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Well said!
There's only so much complaining that people can sympathize with. Eventually they get sick of hearing it, and start wondering if it will ever stop.

Supposedly, Harry now has the life he wanted, so why is he still so angry?
He’s directing his comments at his fans who he knows won’t ever drop him, so as far as that goes, he has no reason to stop his public complaining. Since he’ll always be Prince Harry even if his titles are removed, he’ll still have his Hollywood “friends” to hang out with, and certain magazines to cover him. These people are all so anti-monarchy, anti-British people, so I don’t think they’ll ever tire if him.

The vast, vast, vast majority of Americans don’t care about H, M or the Royals anyway...

The real question is whether continued barbs at his family will eventually tire potential business clients out? My guess is no...

I actually changed my mind on this. I DID think people would tire of the barrage of attacks on his father and family, but once I remembered who his target audience is, I changed my mind.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I haven’t listened to it, and based on what you said- and what I read in another article on this subject- I’d never make it through to the end.

I detest excessive cursing. You can express yourself without being vulgar.

It doesn’t endear him to this member of the US public. (Does Dax Shepherd tend to curse a lot? Was this Harry imitating him to connect? Or was this Harry being Harry? IOW- in his everyday life does he really curse a lot?)
It's very vulgar, Harry is using f-ng and sh-t constantly, don't listen to it
Old 05-16-2021, 11:45 AM
Majesty

But will businesses, whose job is to make money, want someone who is always going on about his family and how badly he's been treated? Esp if his stories get confusing? Might they not feel that he might turn on the companies that hire him, after a while?
Old 05-16-2021, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I just listened to the podcast, I am shocked by the amount of "swear" words that the interviewer and Harry use, does he think that this will make him dearer to the US audience.
Yes, probably he does. I read that he has adopted a generalized American accent as well, again to make it seem he’s - as they say - simpatico with Americans. Most of us do not swear when we speak normally, so it seems Harry doesn’t think much of us Americans...certainly doesn’t know us.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
For me, the bad taste is that Harry and Meghan want to make a career out of all this, talking about deeply personal matters in public.
Harry could have left the BRF and dealt with his shortcomings in private and quietly. Yes, you can speak about your mental health in public and encourage other people to address their problems but you don't need to discuss every detail in podcasts or in high profile interviews.
Your freedom ends when you enter the other people's freedom. To mention other people, like Kate or Charles or the grandparents, what they have done or not done, is trash talking, pure and simple. Even worse, when you do it in order to get money or attention of an audience you want to use for paying for your lifestyle in the long run.
Nobody's family is perfect, especially parents, but in most cases they do their best or have best intentions.
In the long run, it won't end well, I am sure.

I agree with all of this.

You can talk about the importance of mental health without dragging personal details into it.

That said- I don’t see Harry as someone to be looked up to from a mental health standpoint. He’s more of an example to me of what not to do really. I don’t see how he’s helping anyone- himself, his family or anyone else for that matter by dragging personal details into this. He can call it sharing and explaining to help people. I call it complaining and trash talking. It’s also hurtful.

Compassionate people do not publicly drag up decades old issues a mere few weeks after the death of a much loved family member. (There’s never an appropriate time for this to me, but this is about as bad as it gets.)That is not kind or compassionate. He’s preaching about mental well being, but is apparently unconcerned about any mental health problems he may be causing during an already difficult time in his family.

“Your freedom ends when you enter other people’s freedom.” THIS. So well said. Calling people out to make your points is just trash talking IMO.

I don’t see this ending well either.

Harry and Meghan said their interview was it. But it wasn’t. First there was Gayle giving updates on “unproductive” conversations, now we have podcasts, next we have Oprah again. Apparently this podcast was part promotion for him for the Oprah gig. Nice.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:57 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think he's revelling in "not being a prince" any more..
Considering that he was always referred to as "Prince Harry" in the US and the fact that his wife puts "The Duchess of Sussex" in her children's book, I seriously doubt that.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

Even with the DM's "palace aides want them to give up their titles" I don't think HM will ask parliament to enact legislation for a number of reasons. Though they might try and get them to drop them voluntarily by pointing out the win-win benefits for both sides. For the Sussexes this means not being called complete hypocrites by complaining about the toxicity of Harry's family but still benefitting from their anti democratic titles.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Most of us do not swear when we speak normally, so it seems Harry doesn’t think much of us Americans...certainly doesn’t know us.
Of course doesn't. How would he? As far as I know, the only extended time he spent here before moving was the Vegas trip when he was younger, and I think the crowd he was hanging out with there can politely be described as 'atypical.' Then they lived in one of Tyler Perry's many guest room for the better part of a year, and they seem to socialize primarily with other Hollywood types. Whatever Harry thinks he knows about Americans, he really only knows about that very unrepresentative sliver of society.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Even with the DM's "palace aides want them to give up their titles" I don't think HM will ask parliament to enact legislation for a number of reasons. Though they might try and get them to drop them voluntarily by pointing out the win-win benefits for both sides. For the Sussexes this means not being called complete hypocrites by complaining about the toxicity of Harry's family but still benefitting from their anti democratic titles.
not quite so, the royal aides want them to give up the titles or explain why not, so the ball is now in Harry's hand
Old 05-16-2021, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But will businesses, whose job is to make money, want someone who is always going on about his family and how badly he's been treated? Esp if his stories get confusing? Might they not feel that he might turn on the companies that hire him, after a while?

It hasn’t hurt him with Netflix...H and M want to have their fingers in many cookie jars, so it’s possible that some businesses will take a hard pass at them based on H’s comments. We’ll see what updated FF is about, what this new Oprah series is about, whether there is indeed another documentary that essentially completely invades the privacy of his family. I think THAT, if it is happening and it does air, could be step too far. Most people will not support videotaping people, let alone family, without their consent and then using those clips to whine about them.

Until then, if Harry continues to torch his father, his family...I’m not sure who will want him to speak to them about mental health. I wonder if psychologists or psychiatrists might speak out against Harry’s methods. Surely there are many people who might have issues with their families that still love them and simply need an effective way to deal with them without devastating them intentionally. Surely many psychiatrists or psychologists would never suggest that their clients publicize these issues (like in a local paper) to embarrass or hurt their family. As far as I’m concerned, Harry is motivated by a LOT more than mental health when he makes these comments
Old 05-16-2021, 12:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Considering that he was always referred to as "Prince Harry" in the US and the fact that his wife puts "The Duchess of Sussex" in her children's book, I seriously doubt that.
I meant that he doesn't have to behave formally as he did wehn a working Prince.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I agree with all of this.

You can talk about the importance of mental health without dragging personal details into it.

That said- I don’t see Harry as someone to be looked up to from a mental health standpoint. He’s more of an example to me of what not to do really. I don’t see how he’s helping anyone- himself, his family or anyone else for that matter by dragging personal details into this. He can call it sharing and explaining to help people. I call it complaining and trash talking. It’s also hurtful.

Compassionate people do not publicly drag up decades old issues a mere few weeks after the death of a much loved family member. (There’s never an appropriate time for this to me, but this is about as bad as it gets.)That is not kind or compassionate. He’s preaching about mental well being, but is apparently unconcerned about any mental health problems he may be causing during an already difficult time in his family.

“Your freedom ends when you enter other people’s freedom.” THIS. So well said. Calling people out to make your points is just trash talking IMO.

I don’t see this ending well either.

Harry and Meghan said their interview was it. But it wasn’t. First there was Gayle giving updates on “unproductive” conversations, now we have podcasts, next we have Oprah again. Apparently this podcast was part promotion for him for the Oprah gig. Nice.
There are many points that has been proven as false on the Oprah interview, they probably lied about that part as well.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
not quite so, the royal aides want them to give up the titles or explain why not, so the ball is now in Harry's hand
Those royal aides makes a VERY good point.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
Of course doesn't. How would he? As far as I know, the only extended time he spent here before moving was the Vegas trip when he was younger, and I think the crowd he was hanging out with there can politely be described as 'atypical.' Then they lived in one of Tyler Perry's many guest room for the better part of a year, and they seem to socialize primarily with other Hollywood types. Whatever Harry thinks he knows about Americans, he really only knows about that very unrepresentative sliver of society.
Exactly...he didn’t move to Montecito to get to know the average joe. Celebrities don’t swear in public either as it’s not a good look, so maybe Harry thinks it’s makes him look “cool” to younger people. It just cheapens what he has to say.

Compassion. His father is in deep mourning for his father, and Harry continues to pile on...and THIS on top of the bearing Charles takes from the British public and some segment (small though it is) of Americans. That’s compassion? It’s compassionate to add to the grief and pain of his 95 year old grandmother ? To attack his grandfather who just died? . Does Harry understand that things and feelings change? That his father regrets going public with his issues with his parents ? He must have borne witness to his father’s relationships with his grandparents, and yet he digs up the past like a psychiatric archaeologist, as if the past was relevant and needed to be put on display. H claims Charles treated him like he was treated...not true; Charles actually did the opposite - sent him to a different kind of school, allowed H and W freedom to be themselves...etc.. Just exactly what did Harry mean by that comment?
Old 05-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I posted this article in the William thread, but it could also go here to focus more on the Harry part. It’s a compare/contrast of these 2 men and their approaches to life. It was quite thoughtful IMO.

The Telegraph
William and Harry: two dukes – two very different approaches to happiness

https://www.yahoo.com/news/william-h...165224624.html

I found this part particularly interesting regarding Harry. He does indeed seem to be hanging onto his family’s mistakes.

“Most teenagers start seeing their parents as imperfect, but Harry lost his mother before that could happen. Now in his thirties, and in therapy speak, he blames Prince Charles for the “genetic pain” he feels. Many think it is about time he stops playing the victim card.

Of course, like all those who have had turbulent upbringings, there is nothing wrong with trying to “break the cycle of pain and suffering” – and, as William has demonstrated, there are many non self-destructive ways to do this, including just getting on with parenting your own children. Instead, Harry seems to hang on tightly to his family’s mistakes.”
Old 05-16-2021, 12:24 PM

I just can’t get over the timing of Harry’s recent “epiphanies.” I know he’s recently stated that he wanted to get out in his 20’s, but I just can’t help but feel that it’s not that simple. The royal family is trained from birth to put the Crown before themselves and I think that’s an integral part of the equation that Harry is glossing over and/or retrofitting into this mental health crisis narrative. While I realize that we as laypersons cannot ever fully comprehend the magnitude of self sacrifice these people have to endure, I would liken it as to being in the same vein as any workplace and having to juggle the dichotomous nature of personal and professional. A lot of people struggle with these two seemingly commonplace concepts and I feel like Meghan’s inability to assimilate into the monarchy’s extreme version of this has given us the “woke” Harry we see today.

And I also don’t think that casting Meghan in the role of feminist overlord with respect to her relationship with her husband is wholly appropriate. I think from her perspective, she really believes she has been slighted in some way from the “unfeeling firm.” And because these emotions are so overwhelming, she expends very little energy getting her doting husband roped into it. His foundation with the monarchy already had cracks from his mother, it’s obvious that he feels second fiddle to his brother, so for a beautiful damsel in distress to come along and reaffirm all of his innermost insecurities, it’s really not surprising he’s turned out this way. Meghan is offering Harry her truth in the guise of objective fact packaged in “wokeful” justice. The problem is, it’s not tempered with wisdom.

Up until the Oprah interview, I always gave Meghan the benefit of the doubt. There was just too little information about her to go on and so I reserved judgement for years. Then when they both sat there and publicly aired grievances that we had no business being privy to, it all became clear. It lacked class and thoughtfulness being nothing more than a bitter diatribe designed to enact revenge. The monarchy is far from perfect no doubt, but I have yet to see the Sussexes approach sensitive issues with the same degree of decorum. When you sit on national television and bring up a fight that took place three years ago swearing you’re “over it” you’re NOT. Meghan is either dishonest or out of touch with her true feelings and Harry is simply following in her wake. It’s these types of countless foot-in-mouth examples that have made them lose a ton of credibility in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:31 PM
Aristocracy

I applaud anyone's attempts to heal from past traumas and move forward in a personally positive and productive way. Many people choose to talk publicly about their struggles as a pathway to healing, and this is often very helpful to others who are struggling. I have always suspected that Harry is a deeply traumatized person. Privilege does not protect a person from pain. That being said...

It is very worrying to me when a person makes public disclosures that in the long run will possibly serve to isolate them from important members of their support network. This feels somewhat self-destructive to me. Is this the best way to heal wounds?

In the podcast, Harry's words contained a lot of psychology speak, and I wish people, including Harry,would be more careful about throwing these words around. Of course he has the right to talk about his own experience, but he should be very cautious about doing it in such a way that seeks to subtly advise others. He is in a position of influence (at least that seems to be to what he and Meghan aspire) so he has a responsibility.

It is very telling that he identifies his wife as the catalyst for his awakening moment. (BTW, what happened to needing to leave royal work to protect his family? His current behaviour is not protective; his behaviour is likely to hurt his family in the long run, in my view.)

If Harry were a family member, I would be worried about his mental health, but I would also set clear boundaries. I would let him know the impact on his family of his public utterances. I would be supportive but clearly and frequently correct his misperceptions. Let's hope that is happening.

Finally, it is my opinion that Meghan and Harry are out for blood. Rightly or wrongly, they perceive that they have been seriously wronged, and are seeking not just to fight back and tell their story, but stamp out those who, in their view, wronged them. I see their actions as passive aggressive rather than promoting health and healing.

I am sad to see that two people who have the energy and resources to do good in the world have taken this route.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
H claims Charles treated him like he was treated...not true; Charles actually did the opposite - sent him to a different kind of school, allowed H and W freedom to be themselves...etc.. Just exactly what did Harry mean by that comment?

That was odd to me too. Harry specifically referenced Charles going to a school he hated- Gordonstoun while he was talking about how he (Harry) was parented the same way his father was. That makes no sense, given that Charles pointedly sent his kids to a different school. And that is ONE example. Charles did things differently than his parents, just as William and Harry have. (Charles does seem to be a workaholic similar to his parents, but IDK if Harry was referencing that. But- lots of people are. Especially in America.)

Like a lot of things Harry says- there doesn’t seem to be much coherency and consistency. He seems to be relying on having an audience who is largely unknowledgeable about him/the wider family and who don’t pay enough attention to catch obvious contradictions.

Note: There’s nothing wrong with the school. It simply wasn’t right for Charles. But I don’t believe Philip intended to hurt Charles. That was what he knew and what worked for him. Philip had his own very tumultuous childhood, that naturally impacted him. He just didn’t publicly complain about it.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:56 PM
Nobility

what does he mean by this phase " There's a lot of genetic pain and suffering that gets passed on anyway"
complete word salad

Closed Thread