The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2201  
Old 05-15-2021, 11:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Agreed.

I’ve found that problematic too. Harry is not- to me- a success story. That’s not how he’s coming across. If he was- we wouldn’t be hearing him lash out repeatedly IMO.

There are ways to talk about not repeating past mistakes- and William is a good example of someone who has done it- without being hurtful and bringing up past pain so directly. Unless- of course- that’s part of the goal.
To be fair, William has been resentful of his father as well, and has no doubt hurt Charles, even if not publicly. Of course, just like with Charles and Philip, it doesn’t mean that William didn’t love his father....I think the big difference is that he didn’t deliberately set out to publicly humiliate his father, nor damage him in the public eye. Maybe he’s naturally more mature than Harry, maybe it’s being married to such a solid woman - who I see as a healer- with a loving family, but I agree that William overall has dealt with his issues as well as can be expected. I think it helps that Charles does understand why his sons may have had complicated feelings to him given all that’s happened, and he seems to just have let them feel as they do without pressuring them. Charles is showing Harry unconditional love, and I hope Harry will understand that one day, but if he keeps on as is, I hold little hope of a reconciliation
__________________

  #2202  
Old 05-16-2021, 12:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
To be fair, William has been resentful of his father as well, and has no doubt hurt Charles, even if not publicly. Of course, just like with Charles and Philip, it doesn’t mean that William didn’t love his father....I think the big difference is that he didn’t deliberately set out to publicly humiliate his father, nor damage him in the public eye. Maybe he’s naturally more mature than Harry, maybe it’s being married to such a solid woman - who I see as a healer- with a loving family, but I agree that William overall has dealt with his issues as well as can be expected.

Agreed. I was really only addressing William’s behavior in public versus Harry’s.
__________________

  #2203  
Old 05-16-2021, 01:00 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

She might make them, but we all know that Katie Nicholls is not a reliable source, that tabloids are spinning stories, mostly out of Royals percieved hurt, that this is what Harry has always hated - and still a lot of people treat this as the truth?


We have no idea what Charles thinks about his son who obviously is trying to get a grip on his life now that he has his own family (and not necessarily on his Royal life, just the parts of the past that resulted in deep hurt and anger).


Harry is the second son, so the monarchy is not in danger. Charles, just like Harry, has deep understanding how the papers work and the queen wants to understand what made life so terrible for a loved grandson. Both are compassionate people whose life has been dictated by duty - I could understand if they try to hear what Harry is telling.


William follows the way his birthright and the duty of it needs him to follow, he has found a wife who can live this life and support him and maybe (hopefully so) Charlotte and Louis will have different options once they are adults. But still there is the fact that when the children have some problems and someone is telling on them, everything will be splashed out in the papers for the whole world to know. Quite a daunting thing to know.


Harry is now in a position where the papers can write about him without having to resort to silently payed "sources". Though they do, of course. But anyone can go and listen to this podcast, we will all be able to watch documentaries that of course tells his side. But I'd like to listen to him rather than read what the papers say, because, as Harry said, they are complicit with the institutions of the monarchy and see Harry as a public enemy rather than an unhappy family member.


If you like what Harry has to say, if you pity him or his family because of him, if you enjoy his development or are sad or even frightened by what his telling might endanger in the Uk: it doesn't matter. Harry has decided that telling his story might help others cope with their own hurts, he uses his freedom of speech to openly tell about his emotions and what has happened to him (which includes the interactions with his family). Some of it might hurt Charles as Harry's father but I think we as the public audience, should better forget that this is about "The Royal family" but just about a family we are interested in.Harry talks about Charles, his father and the way he was raised and how that led to the way he raised his son Harry. That can lead to all kind of discussions about the way to deal with kids, but should not (IMHO) lead to a discussion about HRH The Prince of Wales and his hurts etc. Harry has a deeply-rooted problem with his father, he does not want to have one with his son and daughter. But it is all about that, about a son having problems with the way he was raised by his father and others, it's not about how HRH The Duke of Sussex feels about HRH THe Prince of Wales in the context of the British monarchy.
  #2204  
Old 05-16-2021, 01:13 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Angela Levin hasn’t spoken to Harry since 2018 when she wrote a biography of him, and has been an unceasing critic of Meghan since she married Harry. I doubt very very much that Levin has any inside information about what sort of broadcasts the Sussexes will be doing next.

In this article Harry talks about William telling him to seek therapy years ago when he felt bad before public engagements. Nowhere here does Harry state that his brother ‘repeatedly and to his face’ told him to seek therapy. He says in quotes that William ‘and others encouraged him to ‘seek help, saying what you are feeling is not right’. That’s hardly telling him repeatedly to his face.


https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...ss-diana-death


We don’t know whether Harry did seek therapy on that occasion, or if he did that it lasted long enough. Meghan must have picked up on the unresolved issues.

Angela levin has been very careful in saying that Harry and Meghan "might" do this and that, like including videos of "places" and then she says even more diffuse that there "could" be "even conversations" in a documentary. And I want to follow that with the idea that Harry "might even" jump naked in his swimming pool or "might" show himself having sexual intercourse with his wife an you can all come and cry that you can't believe me (and you shouldn't) but then: why do you believe one word by Angela Levin or Katie Nicholl or Piers Morgan or whoever?? They "might" know something but they won't use it to tell you as their readers the truth but to stir up conflict in order to sell tomorrows papers. Nothing else.


And could we at least try to listen to Harry for the chance that what he experienced could help us, too instead of dithering for scandalous tidbits about Royal life???
  #2205  
Old 05-16-2021, 01:23 AM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Angela levin has been very careful in saying that Harry and Meghan "might" do this and that, like including videos of "places" and then she says even more diffuse that there "could" be "even conversations" in a documentary. And I want to follow that with the idea that Harry "might even" jump naked in his swimming pool or "might" show himself having sexual intercourse with his wife an you can all come and cry that you can't believe me (and you shouldn't) but then: why do you believe one word by Angela Levin or Katie Nicholl or Piers Morgan or whoever?? They "might" know something but they won't use it to tell you as their readers the truth but to stir up conflict in order to sell tomorrows papers. Nothing else.


And could we at least try to listen to Harry for the chance that what he experienced could help us, too instead of dithering for scandalous tidbits about Royal life???
I think most of us are looking at Harry's direct quotes. He needs a Scandal template to pay the bills.

There is nothing Harry can possibly say that will help me or anyone I know, outside of absorbing his woke-speak through an entertainment "lens"
  #2206  
Old 05-16-2021, 01:49 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,928
For me, the bad taste is that Harry and Meghan want to make a career out of all this, talking about deeply personal matters in public.
Harry could have left the BRF and dealt with his shortcomings in private and quietly. Yes, you can speak about your mental health in public and encourage other people to address their problems but you don't need to discuss every detail in podcasts or in high profile interviews.
Your freedom ends when you enter the other people's freedom. To mention other people, like Kate or Charles or the grandparents, what they have done or not done, is trash talking, pure and simple. Even worse, when you do it in order to get money or attention of an audience you want to use for paying for your lifestyle in the long run.
Nobody's family is perfect, especially parents, but in most cases they do their best or have best intentions.
In the long run, it won't end well, I am sure.
  #2207  
Old 05-16-2021, 02:55 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,201
The feeling that one is trapped in The Truman Show as well exposed in the Zoo seems a honest and pretty accurate description of what life is like for a senior member of the royal family.

The quite mild little criticism is that his grandparents and his father made him "get on with it Harry, it is as it is" while he probably thought that being in the Truman Show + the Zoo for the rest of his life is a horror scenario.

On itself there is nothing wrong with acknowledging this. In no any way he was attacking anyone. Just his resumé of royal life.
  #2208  
Old 05-16-2021, 03:28 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The feeling that one is trapped in The Truman Show as well exposed in the Zoo seems a honest and pretty accurate description of what life is like for a senior member of the royal family.

The quite mild little criticism is that his grandparents and his father made him "get on with it Harry, it is as it is" while he probably thought that being in the Truman Show + the Zoo for the rest of his life is a horror scenario.

On itself there is nothing wrong with acknowledging this. In no any way he was attacking anyone. Just his resumé of royal life.
Mild criticism? I don't think it was from his own quotes "breaking the cycle of genetic pain" seems very loaded and his own previous bitterness on Oprah. It wasn't meant to be mild and doesn't take into account Charles actually doing different things like sending him to a different school and trying to get him to go to therapy and taking him to a rehab centre when he was caught doing weed. Clearly he made mistakes and was often busy but I don't think he deserves this (after he closed the bank of Dad) in public. He also came to regret the Dimbleby interview and Harry is following down that unwise path they both took.

I think Royal life can be a Zoo but I don't see how their new life isn't as well. We used to go months without an interview or quote from PH and rarely saw him in between engagements, now he's everywhere talking about A) how much he doesn't like his family and B) how much he doesn't like the media. Which seems like a torturous way to make money to me.

He said he was doing this to help other people, which is how they justify a lot of things, but I don't think it's going to help anyone, especially him. He's yet again not taking any responsibility for his own actions, either.

Has he really "broken the cycle"? He's currently estranged from his family and Meghan is estranged from most of hers and they seem fairly isolated. And he doesn't sound happy, he sounds like he not only can't let it go, that he's actively finding more reasons to be angry and then monetizing them. Not to mention when it's convenient it's now Meghan than convinced him to go to therapy for his anger not his brother many years ago. William also seems like he changed the way he's raising his kids from how he was raised and trying to get Charles more involved as a grandfather and these things are public but without breaking family privacy.

And lets not forget him calling free speech "bonkers". The US Constitution was written specifically to break with the UK and the Monarchy.

I was also not impressed that he admitted to not liking royal engagement visits with people who were much less advantaged than him but were "free" because they weren't royal. I'm sure many don't find them fascinating at all times but come on, you didn't do hundreds for no recognition like many members of the family.

Quote:
He was asked if he felt like he was in a "cage" while in his royal duties, having to make his way around the Commonwealth comforting others with a smile on his face, while he himself was also going through a rough time.

"It's the job right? Grin and bear it. Get on with it. I was in my early twenties and I was thinking I don't want this job, I don't want to be here," Prince Harry said. "I don't want to be doing this.'
Penny Junor has a good article in The Times:

Quote:
So, although it was not the happiest of childhoods, Harry was never abused; he always had a roof over his head, clothes to keep him warm; he never had to wonder where the next meal would come from; and he had the best education money could buy. He had luxurious holidays and beautiful horses to ride. And most important of all, Harry was loved. He was loved by his mother, his father, his brother, his aunts and uncles, and his grandparents. He also had stable and loving nannies. He was surrounded by love. And love is infinitely more valuable than money, privilege or fame.
https://archive.ph/cjfbc
  #2209  
Old 05-16-2021, 03:46 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I

For me the biggest takeaway from this interview was that we can understand that whatever Harry says during his interviews, podcasts, promotions, whatever, it is not grounded in truth or even "his truth," it is grounded in whatever he needs to say to suit the message of whatever program he's on/ whatever he is trying to get across personally or for his next project. I think it is unfair to jump on everything this couple says to prove they are "lying" because no one remembers everything from their own past perfectly and recollections differ with time, but it is clear between this and the Oprah interview that Harry is telling stories to suit "the moment" and banking on the (true) hope that most people have not "followed" him long enough to realize it.
Very true. But everyone in the UK's "followed" Harry since the moment it was announced that Charles and Diana were expecting their second child, but he's only interested in the American market now, and that seems to be exactly how he sees the American public - as a market. Nothing he says even makes sense. You can't actually have "genetic pain" unless you've inherited a medical condition!

There are people whose lives have been made hell by their families because they've been physically or sexually abused, because their families have refused to accept that they are gay or transgender, or because they've been submitted to mental cruelty and made to feel that they're worthless. I can understand people who've suffered any of those things criticising them in public. But what exactly is Harry supposed to have "suffered" that's so bad that it justifies saying things like this, especially when his grandfather has just died, and his 95-year-old grandmother, who keeps saying that he's a much-loved member of her family, is grieving?

And if he didn't want to be a working Royal in his 20s - when he wasn't a working Royal anyway, because he was in the Army - then why didn't he do anything about it then?


Everyone comes from somewhere, no-one asks to be born into any particular situation, and all families deal with the situations that they're in. If Harry had been born into a very poor family and had had to struggle for that reason, would he be saying that it was the fault of his parents and grandparents and that it was all about "genetic pain" ... I'm just thinking Tracy Chapman singing "Fast Car" now.
  #2210  
Old 05-16-2021, 04:38 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Very true. But everyone in the UK's "followed" Harry since the moment it was announced that Charles and Diana were expecting their second child, but he's only interested in the American market now, and that seems to be exactly how he sees the American public - as a market. Nothing he says even makes sense. You can't actually have "genetic pain" unless you've inherited a medical condition!

There are people whose lives have been made hell by their families because they've been physically or sexually abused, because their families have refused to accept that they are gay or transgender, or because they've been submitted to mental cruelty and made to feel that they're worthless. I can understand people who've suffered any of those things criticising them in public. But what exactly is Harry supposed to have "suffered" that's so bad that it justifies saying things like this, especially when his grandfather has just died, and his 95-year-old grandmother, who keeps saying that he's a much-loved member of her family, is grieving?

And if he didn't want to be a working Royal in his 20s - when he wasn't a working Royal anyway, because he was in the Army - then why didn't he do anything about it then?


Everyone comes from somewhere, no-one asks to be born into any particular situation, and all families deal with the situations that they're in. If Harry had been born into a very poor family and had had to struggle for that reason, would he be saying that it was the fault of his parents and grandparents and that it was all about "genetic pain" ... I'm just thinking Tracy Chapman singing "Fast Car" now.
To be fair, if he left the royal family at that time, how would he make money? It's also interesting how he seems to have no problem with the PERKS of royalty with all those skiing holidays and going to safaris in Africa.
  #2211  
Old 05-16-2021, 04:40 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
To be fair, if he left the royal family at that time, how would he make money? It's also interesting how he seems to have no problem with the PERKS of royalty with all those skiing holidays and going to safaris in Africa.
If he had been determined to leave, I'm sure the RF would have come to some arrangement. He could have gone on with his army career, Charles would have helped out financially....If he had stayed in the UK and the army, security would have been cheaper - nad possibly in later life, Charles might have given him an estate to retire to..
  #2212  
Old 05-16-2021, 04:58 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Mild criticism? I don't think it was from his own quotes "breaking the cycle of genetic pain" seems very loaded and his own previous bitterness on Oprah. It wasn't meant to be mild and doesn't take into account Charles actually doing different things like sending him to a different school and trying to get him to go to therapy and taking him to a rehab centre when he was caught doing weed. Clearly he made mistakes and was often busy but I don't think he deserves this (after he closed the bank of Dad) in public. He also came to regret the Dimbleby interview and Harry is following down that unwise path they both took.

I think Royal life can be a Zoo but I don't see how their new life isn't as well. We used to go months without an interview or quote from PH and rarely saw him in between engagements, now he's everywhere talking about A) how much he doesn't like his family and B) how much he doesn't like the media. Which seems like a torturous way to make money to me.

He said he was doing this to help other people, which is how they justify a lot of things, but I don't think it's going to help anyone, especially him. He's yet again not taking any responsibility for his own actions, either.

Has he really "broken the cycle"? He's currently estranged from his family and Meghan is estranged from most of hers and they seem fairly isolated. And he doesn't sound happy, he sounds like he not only can't let it go, that he's actively finding more reasons to be angry and then monetizing them. Not to mention when it's convenient it's now Meghan than convinced him to go to therapy for his anger not his brother many years ago. William also seems like he changed the way he's raising his kids from how he was raised and trying to get Charles more involved as a grandfather and these things are public but without breaking family privacy.

And lets not forget him calling free speech "bonkers". The US Constitution was written specifically to break with the UK and the Monarchy.

I was also not impressed that he admitted to not liking royal engagement visits with people who were much less advantaged than him but were "free" because they weren't royal. I'm sure many don't find them fascinating at all times but come on, you didn't do hundreds for no recognition like many members of the family.



Penny Junor has a good article in The Times:



https://archive.ph/cjfbc
Very well said.

By no means was this mild criticism - this is less a bomb that Harry threw than daggers, specifically meaning to damn his father and grandparents. He literally said he escaped to America to “break the cycle”, a term associated with abuse, to make sure he didn’t raise his son the same way. Of course he still wanted his father to dole out the big bucks...so was Harry implying that if Charles hadn’t “cut him off”, he would have been ok with how he felt he was treated ? If Charles had continued to fund Harry in order to keep him happy, would Harry have spoken out? I don’t think so - he very pointedly spoke about being “cut off”, wanting the world to know about how his father had done him wrong.

Charles parented how he knew, which means that, as much as he loved his sons, he was a “workaholic” and may not have realized how much William and Harry needed him to be even more present than he was. William mentioned in the Charles at 70 special that he was a “brilliant” grandfather, and the kids - well, the entire family- wanted to see more of him. I suspect he even mentioned that in private, and based on reports, Charles has made the effort, which is paying off in his renewed closeness with W and his very clearly loving relationship with Kate and the children.

Harry seems to me to be running away from his problems, not dealing either them. I believe he equates money and position with love, since much of his anger seems to stem from not getting what he wanted (his and Meghan’s own “court”, more money, etc..). I recognize that as insecurity - being insecure myself. That’s not a bad thing, but then why not actually talk to his father about it, especially if he wanted to “break the cycle” ? Does he intend never to try and have a relationship with Charles again ? Like Meghan doesn’t have with Thomas ?

I have to also wonder why Harry and Meghan wanted initially to be half in/half out if H was so keen since his 20’s to leave the life entirely ? I think not getting what they wanted triggered this plan to “Escape to Another Country”, and everything follows from that: the bombshell exit, the book, openly supporting the Crown (tantamount to agreeing that their portrayal of Charles as the villain is the truth), the interview, the podcast...some new series with Oprah, etc...In all this, H is pushing the narrative that Diana was the perfect mother, and Charles a bad father...



I read the Junor article earlier...agree, good piece.
  #2213  
Old 05-16-2021, 04:59 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
To be fair, if he left the royal family at that time, how would he make money? It's also interesting how he seems to have no problem with the PERKS of royalty with all those skiing holidays and going to safaris in Africa.
That's not a specifically royal problem though and he had more opportunities than others. Lots of people have to figure out what they're going to do if they don't want to work in the family business.

He could have stayed in the army and it was reported at the time that his father and family would be quite happy if he was a career soldier and were surprised when he quit.

He could gone to Africa for several years working for charities. Zara went to Australia for a few months when her eventing career was stalling because of injury and her relationship collapsed (and she met Mike there).

He could have taken over a farm, (heh) or retrained as a commercial pilot or retrained as anything else - there are programmes for ex servicemembers or even just lived on his inheritance. It seems like Charles might have bankrolled him if he stayed in the UK. Plenty of his cousins and other non heirs work.

Sure there would have been restrictions, upsets and public grumbling but he wasn't forced into being a full time working royal and he wasn't until he turned 30 anyway and in the beginning was carrying out 100 engagements or less per year and placing below the Gloucesters and Kents not to mention his own grandparents, father and aunts and uncles.
  #2214  
Old 05-16-2021, 05:10 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If he had been determined to leave, I'm sure the RF would have come to some arrangement. He could have gone on with his army career, Charles would have helped out financially....If he had stayed in the UK and the army, security would have been cheaper - nad possibly in later life, Charles might have given him an estate to retire to..
That is true but I think he simply felt tie-wrapped in royal life. It is difficult for outsiders to feel what he (or William) feels. I still remember the deafening screams of wild teenage girls, almost fainting when seeing William or Harry. As if they were Michael Jackson. And why? Because they were the sons of "England's Rose"? I remember the sight of these wild screaming hoards simply scared me.

The confusing fact here is that Harry does not -alike his European peers- engage into something anonymous as being an investment banker or to have a seat in the Board of a Unilever or BP (probably because his education is insufficient) but exactly chooses for the floodlights of Hollywood, that is what baffles me.

The Prince of Wales could have given him a senior position in the management of the Duchy of Cornwall, in the upkeep of Highgrove. But it is probably not his (and Meghan's) aspriration to be buried into British countryside.

But that a royal prefers a life outside the royal family, that must be open for consideration and indeed always a possibility. It should not be a taboo or "treason" to opt out of royal life.
  #2215  
Old 05-16-2021, 06:46 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But that a royal prefers a life outside the royal family, that must be open for consideration and indeed always a possibility. It should not be a taboo or "treason" to opt out of royal life.
Yes but Harry wanted the best of both worlds, what is not possible. Either you leave with all consequences, or you don't. What you can't do in any case is bite the hand that feeds you.
  #2216  
Old 05-16-2021, 06:52 AM
Estel's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Somewhere, India
Posts: 140
I am happy that Harry is speaking out. The more he complains, the more tired people are going to become. When you say the same thing over and over again, it doesn't have the same shock value. N that is why, the Panorama interview had such an effect, coz it happened only once and not "tap, tap, tap..."
  #2217  
Old 05-16-2021, 07:13 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
That's not a specifically royal problem though and he had more opportunities than others. Lots of people have to figure out what they're going to do if they don't want to work in the family business.

He could have stayed in the army and it was reported at the time that his father and family would be quite happy if he was a career soldier and were surprised when he quit.


He could have taken over a farm, (heh) or retrained as a commercial pilot or retrained as anything else - there are programmes for ex servicemembers or even just lived on his inheritance. It seems like Charles might have bankrolled him if he stayed in the UK. Plenty of his cousins and other non heirs work.

Sure there would have been restrictions, upsets and public grumbling but he wasn't forced into being a full time working royal and he wasn't until he turned 30 anyway and in the beginning was carrying out 100 engagements or less per year and placing below the Gloucesters and Kents not to mention his own grandparents, father and aunts and uncles.
I dont think that Harry really knew HOW to leave the RF in his 20s. he didn't want to stay as a career soldier because that entailed taking on a desk job, and AFAIR that was when he quit the army....
If he had chosen to devote himself privately to charity work whether in the UK or Africa, it would have been fine for a bit, but I think he would have begun to miss the public notice.. and begun to feel isolated if he'd chosen to settle somewhere abroad where he wasn't known as a prince. Being one of the lads, working with animals or something would have palled...
I think that there were attempts during hte first year of his marriage, to arrange for him and Meghan to have some kind of partial breaks from royal life.. but they weren't what he or Meg wanted...
  #2218  
Old 05-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Ariel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
For me, the bad taste is that Harry and Meghan want to make a career out of all this, talking about deeply personal matters in public.
Harry could have left the BRF and dealt with his shortcomings in private and quietly. Yes, you can speak about your mental health in public and encourage other people to address their problems but you don't need to discuss every detail in podcasts or in high profile interviews.
Your freedom ends when you enter the other people's freedom. To mention other people, like Kate or Charles or the grandparents, what they have done or not done, is trash talking, pure and simple. Even worse, when you do it in order to get money or attention of an audience you want to use for paying for your lifestyle in the long run.
Nobody's family is perfect, especially parents, but in most cases they do their best or have best intentions.
In the long run, it won't end well, I am sure.
I totally agree with you.
  #2219  
Old 05-16-2021, 08:02 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
For me, the bad taste is that Harry and Meghan want to make a career out of all this, talking about deeply personal matters in public.
Harry could have left the BRF and dealt with his shortcomings in private and quietly. Yes, you can speak about your mental health in public and encourage other people to address their problems but you don't need to discuss every detail in podcasts or in high profile interviews.
Your freedom ends when you enter the other people's freedom. To mention other people, like Kate or Charles or the grandparents, what they have done or not done, is trash talking, pure and simple. Even worse, when you do it in order to get money or attention of an audience you want to use for paying for your lifestyle in the long run.
Nobody's family is perfect, especially parents, but in most cases they do their best or have best intentions.
In the long run, it won't end well, I am sure.
I cannot actually listen to the podcast and hear Harry speak for himself (videos are better because they're closed captioned ) but I feel I'm getting a good grasp at where Harry is in his mind from the quotes I've seen here recently.

Harry never seems to mention that there is someone accredited behind the scenes that is guiding him through his mental health issues. Hence, why I get the "armchair" angle coming from Harry. Does he actually feel that he's "woke" and able to solve his problems all by himself?

There's a big difference between seeking therapy and working on oneself to make changes within and using one's mental issues and woes of the world around him to capitalize on them to draw in an audience ala The Jerry Springer Show where you know the antagonists you're pointing fingers at will never, ever agree to "duke" out the problem on live TV.

A huge part of successful therapy comes from the realization that you can't change anyone else besides yourself. Happiness is an inside job and nobody else is going to make you happy until you're happy with yourself. The person Harry meets in the mirror is the *only* person I think he should be addressing right now. Not his father. Not his brother. Not his wife and children. Himself. Privately. Quietly.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2220  
Old 05-16-2021, 08:05 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

Penny Junor has a good article in The Times:



https://archive.ph/cjfbc

I can't listen anymore to those journalists and authors who tell him to be quiet as he was priviledged. it's the same as to tell your own kids to eat everything because the little children in India go hungry, but you do nothing about hungry kids elsewhere at all. And then you tell your kids they should stop eating so much because they are getting fat! (I'm quite glad those poor people around the world are at least no poor examples of getting fat, otherwise they would be taken out of their box to be shown to the kids.



My God, what Penny Junor wrote here is some sort of abuse! Every one has a right to tell about their experiences. Privileged people have hurts, too. And being surrounded by love??? There are more people around a young prince than just his family (who all worked hard, btw.) And not all are loving! Even Royal servants can be envious. Paul Burrell comes to mind, he does not appear to be an overly loving butler when he stole Diana's things from her sons.



Just be realistic for one. Harry feels hurt or angry and he tells of his feelings. I guess he will even write a memoir one day. He "might" even call it "Memories of a privileged sufferer". Who knows. But could you please stop to just make him the victim of his name/birth/public interest in him on dessecting his character? He is trying the best he can to cope. He obviously can find it in him to go on a podcast/TV etc. telling "his" story. Yes, poor Charles and poor queen. But isn't it better to hear from a (and I think he still is) loving family member and then form your own opinion than to just believe what the papers come up with?


Harry did not say Charles didn't try. He just sees Charles as a product of his own upbringing trying to parent. That's not a new theory and one helpful when you try to cope with your own feelings about your childhood. Honestly: we all knew that Charles was a loving father, but one who couldn't spend too much time with the children because of his duty. Now Harry states he want to make growing-up different for his children. That's okay. I hope he succeeds.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021 Jacknch Current Events Archive 2203 04-06-2021 12:08 PM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia britain british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness crown jewels doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life fashion and style genetics gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! henry viii history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japanese imperial family japan history kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida swedish queen tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×