The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea that Kim Kardashian had a game app, but I can't say that I follow the Kardashians very closely! I'm probably several decades out of date, but I tend to think of computer games as involving either sports or else little cartoon characters trying to eat things or shoot things - I'm not sure what sort of "game" involves a prince and princess leaving a royal family, but, TBH, I don't think I want to know!

A spokesperson and Glu Mobile from the smartphone game app, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood has reportedly confirm that the game level featuring Prince Aston and his wife Princess Bianca has been removed. This comes after some "backlash", where a fan complained that Kim Kardashian or the game developer Glu Mobile are exploiting the Sussex's exit from Royal Family. That level containing Prince Aston and Princess Bianca parallels with Harry & Meghan's clash with the Royal Family was only released recently, before quickly taken down.

Eh. it probably didn't make much money.
If it had been a huge commercial success, my guess is that it would never have been taken down.

I’m not a fan of Paul Burrell because he’s always ripping Charles, but I think he’s spot on here.

Paul, 62, says, “There’s no doubt it’s a great idea for Harry to have help and therapy. But therapy is supposed to be confidential – it doesn’t work on the world stage. Doing what he’s doing is only going to cause him so much more pain. I don’t recognise him now – he’s almost become the centre of his own world. He’s hurting his family and saying things that I really think he’ll regret. Meghan has encouraged him to get therapy and change his way of thinking – but I think he’ll be left broken when this all stops and he realises what he’s done.

“He’s been blinded by Meghan, by her beauty and by this Hollywood world. I think now it could only be Meghan who can stop him from doing these interviews and doing any more damage, and destroying himself. He won’t heal if he keeps doing this – it’ll make things worse in the long run. I honestly have no idea when it will stop.”

However, Paul believes Diana would have been devastated at the thought of Harry falling out with his family.

“But what he’s doing now is going to make everything so much worse for him. Diana would be heartbroken it’s come to this. Not only would she be devastated that Harry is cut off from his family, but she’d disapprove of him tearing down the royals. She’d want him to stop airing his dirty laundry, and to live a quiet, private life, focused on his children.”

https://closeronline.co.uk/celebrity/news/prince-harry-destroying-himself-meghan-markle/

I think that Diana woudl have been upset by divisions between him and William but all the same, she kind of set him an example of "going on TV and complaining about the RF". True the RF weren't her own family and she was mild in her criticism.. but....
And not sure how much of it is Harry being fascinated by Hollywood. I dont know if he is really that taken with the place, per se..... except that perhaps he sees America right now as a land where he can be freer than he was in the UK...

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

I think that Diana woudl have been upset by divisions between him and William but all the same, she kind of set him an example of "going on TV and complaining about the RF". True the RF weren't her own family and she was mild in her criticism.. but....
And not sure how much of it is Harry being fascinated by Hollywood. I dont know if he is really that taken with the place, per se..... except that perhaps he sees America right now as a land where he can be freer than he was in the UK...

IA- I don’t think there’s any doubt she’d be upset by him and William not getting along.

While she did help set the example on airing private matters, I believe she came to regret doing the interview. So, I think she’d see this as a bad idea. And her criticism was much milder.

Furthermore- Harry has criticized William directly. Not a lot, but he has. And I think there is implied criticism anytime he lashes out at the institution/monarchy and his “family” in general terms. William is a senior royal and about the closet family he has. Maybe Harry isn’t intending to criticize him publicly- but it’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw IMO. She surely wouldn’t like one son getting criticized by the other son publicly like this.

I do agree with Burrell that this is a huge mistake to be so critical. Whether Harry comes to regret it, who knows, but I do agree that if he does- it’ll be devastating to look back on this. Regardless- I see nothing beneficial for anyone that he’s being so publicly critical. For so many reasons.

I don’t doubt Meghan is a huge influence; Harry himself has made that clear. I assume- and maybe that’s unfair- that she’s fully on-board with all this constant criticism. Given the Oprah interview alone, it’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw though IMO.

IA with him that therapy should be confidential.

IDK if he’s fascinated by Hollywood, but he/they have somewhat adopted the Hollywood celebrity lifestyle.

Last edited:
I dont know if she did regret it, she was unhappy that it led to her being ordered to get a divorce, but Im not sure if she really connected the 2 things in her mind. All the same her criticism of the Royal family and system were pretty mild compared with Harry's lashing out.
I dont know if Harry is fascinated by Hollywood in itself or if it is that he loves Meghan and is afraid of losing her if he doesn't go along with what she wants.

I view Harry and Meghan as two people who are surprised by the behavior of their fathers. The disappointment and betrayal you've expressed about them is exactly how they feel about the men they've looked to for guidance throughout their lives. Harry and Meghan are not bad people who do not care about the plight of others. Both Sussexes have a history of advocating for causes throughout their lives. The couple will continue their philanthropic efforts because it's who they are. I'm excited to see what Archewell will do next.

Harry and Meghan are hardly the first two people in history - or even in the royal family - to be unhappy or disappointed with the actions of a parent. We can debate all day long whether Charles was right to cut them off or was a good father to Harry, but that's a separate issue from whether they're right to be all over the airwaves complaining about him, Philip, the Queen, the courtiers, and soon enough probably the corgis. No one who follows Harry's example in dealing with their own family issues is going to be better off for it, because no interpersonal problem will ever be resolved by publicizing it. Thomas Markle is proof enough of that. Even setting aside Harry's recent complaints about how he really didn't enjoy going on tours to help people to whom he should have felt a personal connection, the fact that anyone who emulates him will be harmed by doing so - and will harm others in the process - is reason enough to doubt his professed motives here.

But wait.... there's more!

If you've ever seen an infomercial here in the States, it usually plugs a "really good deal" but as an extra added attraction, these words are included. "But wait... there's more!" An add on item to make the deal seem too good to pass up.

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to Harry's adeptness at being a mental health advocate. Perhaps "The Me You Can't See" didn't do overly well as there is... wait for it.... a sequel!!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/26/entertainment/oprah-winfrey-prince-harry-town-hall/index.html

IA- I don’t think there’s any doubt she’d be upset by him and William not getting along.

While she did help set the example on airing private matters, I believe she came to regret doing the interview. So, I think she’d see this as a bad idea. And her criticism was much milder.

Furthermore- Harry has criticized William directly. Not a lot, but he has. And I think there is implied criticism anytime he lashes out at the institution/monarchy and his “family” in general terms. William is a senior royal and about the closet family he has. Maybe Harry isn’t intending to criticize him publicly- but it’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw IMO. She surely wouldn’t like one son getting criticized by the other son publicly like this.

I do agree with Burrell that this is a huge mistake to be so critical. Whether Harry comes to regret it, who knows, but I do agree that if he does- it’ll be devastating to look back on this. Regardless- I see nothing beneficial for anyone that he’s being so publicly critical. For so many reasons.

I don’t doubt Meghan is a huge influence; Harry himself has made that clear. I assume- and maybe that’s unfair- that she’s fully on-board with all this constant criticism. Given the Oprah interview alone, it’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw though IMO.

IA with him that therapy should be confidential.

IDK if he’s fascinated by Hollywood, but he/they have somewhat adopted the Hollywood celebrity lifestyle.

Even if Harry didn’t know that his mother - or his father, for that matter - regretted going public, he saw the results. I think that’s exactly what he wanted - to create a stir, and yes, to hurt his father and the family. It’s his way of getting revenge on the father and the institution who wouldn’t give him everything he wanted. If he regrets it, it may be too late to do anything about it...regrets won’t mean a thing if the people he supposedly loves are gone before he understands what his choices have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've ever seen an infomercial here in the States, it usually plugs a "really good deal" but as an extra added attraction, these words are included. "But wait... there's more!" An add on item to make the deal seem too good to pass up.

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to Harry's adeptness at being a mental health advocate. Perhaps "The Me You Can't See" didn't do overly well as there is... wait for it.... a sequel!!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/26/entertainment/oprah-winfrey-prince-harry-town-hall/index.html

According to Apple it has done very well.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/oprah-...e-me-you-cant-see-town-hall-apple-1234764211/

"The Me You Can't See has been the number one most watched program worldwide on AppleTV+ since its launch and that it drew 25% new viewers to the service and a more than 40% increase in average weekend viewership in the UK. "

Not surprised they want to do a follow up program.

I'm still waiting for Harry to say one nasty thing about his father that has even the ring of truth to it. His father guided him as best he knew how - gave him love and freedom to be who he wanted to be. Was he perfect? What human being is? Exactly how has Charles betrayed Harry? By supporting his mother in refusing H and M their own Court? By finally saying enough was enough after H constantly requested more money? If anyone has done any betraying, it's Harry.....how can he do this to his father? How can he deliberately hurt the person who loves him most (along with his mum) in the world? Harry knows that his father is not popular - in the UK or in America (to the extent that some people care about the Royals). So he knew exactly what he was doing when he started tarring and feathering his pa in public. What a great example H is setting for Archie........

Well said. I'm sure Harry and Meghan have and will continue to see with Archie and baby girl Sussex that they have to say "NO" to them from time to time - and it's often for their own good. Sometimes HM/Charles had to say "no" because it's just not how things are done, it's just not feasible. Sometimes HM had to put her foot down and insist that her staff/Royal staff are treated with respect (ie: Harry and Meghan, you two are no better than anyone else just because you're Royal). This shouldn't be an issue with adults. When kids are growing up, parents teach them that they're not always going to get their way, and that they have to learn to deal with it. H and M have not dealt with it well at all.

"Yes" people don't have anyone's best interests at heart except their own - so they tell their "bosses" what they want to hear. "Yes" people are only as loyal as the almighty dollar/pound - and in real crises, they won't be hanging around. You know who will? Family.

Perhaps the reason for Harry’s explosive anger with Charles goes back decades, and although apparently never mentioned on this board, is well-known to virtually everyone.

It always pays when you bash your family in front of the world.
Coming in new to this thread but have read a majority of the posts, but wow. Harry is going to regret this. I'm very sad that Archie and Girl Sussex won't have a relationship with their cousins. I also don't blame Charles for cutting them off. They decided to leave and set that bridge on fire. When I moved out of my house after uni, I had to get a job and pay my bills. IMO, when he left the family business, he did the same. And from what I understand he had a generous inheritance from Diana and the queen mum. I'm not quite sure what their mindset was. If my child trashed me on national TV, the bank of LadyJolene would be closed.

It always pays when you bash your family in front of the world.

Isn't it ironic how the BRF is the only draw when it comes to Harry? I mean, nobody even cares what Harry has to say about mental health (if he even has anything to say that is), which is what the series is supposedly about.

Controversy and nastiness always sell well.

Perhaps the reason for Harry’s explosive anger with Charles goes back decades, and although apparently never mentioned on this board, is well-known to virtually everyone.

Perhaps, and perhaps it's even justified. But Harry was perfectly willing to restrain that anger for all those decades, at least publicly, right up until the Bank of Dad closed his account. The timing suggests that Harry's belief that he's entitled to a royal paycheck has more to do with it.

Isn't it ironic how the BRF is the only draw when it comes to Harry? I mean, nobody even cares what Harry has to say about mental health (if he even has anything to say that is), which is what the series is supposedly about.

Why would they? What exactly makes Harry an expert on anything, let alone mental health? I think he’s playing a dangerous game because...well, this isn’t a game - he’s encouraging people to listen to him and, tacitly, do as he does. Where does he get off advising people on such serious matters that can have serious consequences ? Let’s say you work for the family business, and you decide that you want to make radical changes...the family says “no”, and so you split off to start your own business. Dad gives to seed money to start, but it’s not enough, so you keep asking for more and more until Dad says “enough”. Well, you don’t like that, so you loudly proclaim - including taking out space in the newspaper - how awful your Dad and the family business are. Not only do you take personal revenge on your father, but you - at least attempt to - damage the business. What kind of qualified therapist would encourage anyone to engage in this behavior ? It’s the kind of behavior that could lead to a permanent rift in family relations. This is what Harry is actively encouraging.

According to Apple it has done very well.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/oprah-...e-me-you-cant-see-town-hall-apple-1234764211/

"The Me You Can't See has been the number one most watched program worldwide on AppleTV+ since its launch and that it drew 25% new viewers to the service and a more than 40% increase in average weekend viewership in the UK. "

Not surprised they want to do a follow up program.

But is it so popular because of Prince Harry? Is not Lady Gaga in it? Would she not be a huge draw for audiences?

But is it so popular because of Prince Harry? Is not Lady Gaga in it? Would she not be a huge draw for audiences?

She is in an episode. So are other public figures. It also heavily features non famous people. The show is well done and I really enjoyed all the stories. Not really that surprised it has done well. And as co creator and co producer, it's success is his success.

And as co creator and co producer, it's success is his success.

And to balance the books the very heavy, primarily UK Based criticism I accept, it's received are also his failings in making the programme.

It's also interesting to note that Apple TV+ has a 7 day free trial, in the UK at least, so it'll be interesting to see the numbers after Friday's episode and see if their viewership has maintained.

I mean you won't please everyone. It being heavily criticized in the UK is expected but still interesting enough that it increased 40% there. No idea if it will maintain but the initial viewing numbers were stellar and that was the goal. Apple seems very pleased with their investment.

Yes, and Harry will have to keep dropping bigger bombs to keep him and Meghan in the public eye. I am holding my breath for when he starts talking about Camilla and Charles. I am almost certain that one is coming.

Perhaps, and perhaps it's even justified. But Harry was perfectly willing to restrain that anger for all those decades, at least publicly, right up until the Bank of Dad closed his account. The timing suggests that Harry's belief that he's entitled to a royal paycheck has more to do with it.

Many a guilt-ridden divorced parent has attempted to ‘buy’ a child’s affection with special treats- trips to the zoo or Disneyworld or extra scoops of ice cream, etc. Perhaps it works, sometimes for a long time. A parent needs to look in the mirror and see the truth about him/herself and accept responsibility for wounds inflicted on the son/daughter, instead of exclaiming, ‘Why would my kid act this way?’

Yes, and Harry will have to keep dropping bigger bombs to keep him and Meghan in the public eye.
I can't remember everything word by word, but didn't he say the Oprah interview was the last time he discussed his relationship with the RF publicly?

Holy cow...

HM gave her blessing in 2018 - so, well before there was anything for Harry to complain about. I’m shocked that the family has ANY trust in H at all.

The Queen signed off on Prince Harry's new bombshell Apple TV series – but had 'no idea' her grandson would accuse the family of 'total neglect', sources have told DailyMail.com.

A source close to the royal family claimed Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles are 'absolutely gobsmacked' by Harry's revelations on his new show, and that trust with his increasingly estranged relatives 'is hanging by a thread'.

Sources say Harry informed his family of his desire to develop the multi-part documentary series on AppleTV, after discussing it not only with the Queen but also Meghan's father – before the total breakdown in the rocky relationship between the now-estranged father and daughter.

But royal insiders now claim that the way Harry pitched the show, The Me You Can't See, was 'clearly misleading' and that no-one in the senior royal circle would have agreed to what they now view as a 'personal attack on his father and the institution.'

'Those around the Queen and Prince Charles are absolutely gobsmacked by what has happened,' a source close to Buckingham Palace told DailyMail.com.

'It is a question of trust, and honestly any of that is hanging by a thread at the moment.

'No one within the Palace circles has anything but sympathy for Harry's trauma and troubled life, but there is upset and discomfort at him sharing it on an international television show.

'Certainly the intimate detail of his hardships paint a very negative picture of his family and upbringing. Many people have a different view.'

The source said that in palace circles Harry had been vocal about the importance of military veterans getting the right mental health support after returning to civilian life, but that he had not revealed what personal details he would be sharing on camera.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...to=1490&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ummm that also claiming Harry spoke to Thomas Markle. We know that is far from truth. So I would take that whole article with a giant grain of nonsense.

They did announce this two years ago. That much is true.

:previous: Why couldn't he have talked to Thomas Markle about it in 2018, around the same time he supposedly talked to the Queen? Granted, it's hard to envision Thomas keeping that quiet this whole time, but it's possible.

Many a guilt-ridden divorced parent has attempted to ‘buy’ a child’s affection with special treats- trips to the zoo or Disneyworld or extra scoops of ice cream, etc. Perhaps it works, sometimes for a long time. A parent needs to look in the mirror and see the truth about him/herself and accept responsibility for wounds inflicted on the son/daughter, instead of exclaiming, ‘Why would my kid act this way?’

That's true to a point, but Harry's telling everyone his reasons for doing this. They just don't seem to make very much sense. I'd honestly have more respect for him if he outright said "I'm still mad at him for hurting my mother" or even "I warned him that if he made me pay my own way, he wouldn't like the way I did it."

I can honestly see the Queen and Charles getting wholeheartedly behind Harry doing this series *at the time* because Harry was actively involved with several mental health awareness projects such as Heads Together, Invictus, Walking With the Wounded and several more that I'm not remembering right now. It probably was expected that Harry would participate and relate some of his own mental health issues that he's had to deal with and making remarks maybe of how he's worked to get past some issues that really were bothering him. In other words, the causes and the effects and the positive side of dealing with mental health issues and going into therapy (of course crediting William).

Between then and now, Harry did a total about face and turned on everything that in 2018, he held dear to him. His father, his brother, his family, his role in the scheme of things. His reality changed. Whatever therapy he had before, turned into being worthless as, I believe, he turned from being positive to totally negative. He went from admitting his own shortcomings and how he was dealing with them and started focusing on all the shortcomings of everything around him and throwing blame. This is not the same Harry the Queen and Charles talked to in 2018.

This is the reason I believe that the Harry we're seeing right now is not anywhere near being of sound mental health. Sometimes you have to take two steps backwards to go one step forward. This is why I am hoping that somewhere down the line there is a program he does that is called "The Me I Didn't See". It's a process taken in order to grow. Nothing and I mean *nothing* excuses him though from throwing bombs at his family and the institution they represent. Working on one's mental health is meant to look at oneself, take a serious inventory of one's own shortcomings, dealing with them and making changes. Anger, vengeance and self pity are three emotional road blocks that prevent healing and good mental health.

I see a Harry now that really needs to get honest with himself and those around him from the image that he's portraying to the public now.

:previous: Why couldn't he have talked to Thomas Markle about it in 2018, around the same time he supposedly talked to the Queen? Granted, it's hard to envision Thomas keeping that quiet this whole time, but it's possible.

That's true to a point, but Harry's telling everyone his reasons for doing this. They just don't seem to make very much sense. I'd honestly have more respect for him if he outright said "I'm still mad at him for hurting my mother" or even "I warned him that if he made me pay my own way, he wouldn't like the way I did it."

That would be an honest Harry taking a good long look at himself and admitting where he's a fault. Sometimes that is the hardest thing for anybody to do. But.... its cathartic and its then the healing really begins. ?

Considering it has been made pretty darn clear that Harry and Thomas rarely spoke... I find it very hard to believe this man was talking to him about a series he was creating with Oprah. I mean come on. Of all the things thrown out this is the least believable. They should have just left that out.

Looking at this quote from the article that Betsypaige posted earlier, I believe it answers an age old question that has been asked around here for quite a while.

"Sources say Harry informed his family of his desire to develop the multi-part documentary series on AppleTV, after discussing it not only with the Queen but also Meghan's father – before the total breakdown in the rocky relationship between the now-estranged father and daughter."

As it states it was *before* the breakdown of the relationship between Meghan and her father, (and I'm totally ignoring the talking to Thomas Markle part as that's so "iffy") we can now put a good reason to just why Oprah was invited to the Sussex wedding in May of 2018. Harry and Oprah were already in "talks" about this documentary :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom