The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
They don't send round the truancy officer if dukes don't turn up to the Coronation! The Duke of Windsor didn't attend George VI's coronation, because obviously it would have been pretty awkward. I think this is all hypothetical because I can't see Harry becoming a US citizen, but, if it was that much of an issue, he could just miss the Coronation ... causing even more awkwardness ...
You are correct, first of all he needs to be invited, secondly if it is the large event like the Queens there will be a huge number of guests who will not take the oath because they will not be British or from the commonwealth.

Although there are basic differences between the Duke of Windsor and Harry , there is one huge , IMO, similarity, and that is that the Duke of Windsor believed that he could come back to live in the UK with Wallis as his wife, make his own rules.
He like Harry wanted the good bits, but not the work.
He like Harry wanted a home, money and a lifestyle, he wanted his own court. It didn't happen then or now.

I know Harry and Meghan didn't want to live here on a permanent basis but they did want to pick and chose what they did.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Meghan's written a book and it will be published. More power to her. I cannot say whether or not the book will be a success or not. Children's books are not something I'm in the market for and I buy books for content and not the author's name. It tells me though that she hasn't been sitting at home eating bon bons and watching soap operas. She's been making constructive use of her time and doing something that she had an inspiration for. I can't fault that.

I just hope she's not thinking it's going to make a best seller list because of her previous success with the Hubb Kitchen cookbook, "Together". The success of that book was astronomical.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:11 PM
Courtier

I would say that Thomas Markle has a bad relationship with Meghan since he did not return her phone calls or Harry's phone calls. And then he goes to the media to criticize her and admitted he got money for it all. I understand he has not seen any of his other grandchildren of late. He could have made the right decision and gone to the wedding instead of being photographed trying on the suit by the media, he even admitted on his TV special that he got paid for it. From this, I wonder what sort of man would do this to one of his children. It is not known what really went on between Harry and Charles. There are two sides. It is generational apparently since Charles did not exactly win rave reviews for his depiction of his father in his authorized biography by Jonathan Dimbleby. It caused quite the stir but the two did make up. So I don't think one can say definitively that Harry and Charles relationship is "destroyed."
Old 05-05-2021, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

After having seen what has been posted here about a book noone has read so far apart from the info the publisher gave out on request:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...box=1620229791

...."having a father" is part of our common subconsciousness and no matter how the real life relationship has been, an artist can use this and create his or her own story. Or does a novelist have to have lived through the turmoils of their heroes and villains to be a believable writer with a true message? We call the content of invented or "inspired by"-writing "fiction" for a reason - even if it's "just for children".

...Yes, I know, Meghan should not have lied about what had happened to her when living as a member of the Royal family, but is that the reason she can't write a positive book for children when she was inspired by a father and his son she loves?
Old 05-05-2021, 02:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I have to agree with you that I found Meghan's new book on father and child relationship "a bit strange", given that both Harry & Meghan's relationship with their fathers are currently strained to say the least. Perhaps the phrase "inspired by her own husband and son" was the main reason I found it odd. I just hope Charles and the Royal Family is not dragged into the book both explicitly and implicitly.
It's not the first time they focus on something that they are clearly really bad at themselves. For example, Harry is championed for Mental Health after explaining to the world he has no clue how to deal with it. So, Meghan writing about father-son relationships after severing ties with both her own father and her husband's fits right in with them championing their own weaknesses.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Both Harry AND Meghan were part of that interview. Harry was the one to criticize Charles not Meghan. So why is he not the one criticized but Meghan is accused of "lying." Unless some were "there" with her, how is it known? It is more he said she said sort of thing. Also why is Meghan accused of "severing" ties with her father when he was invited to the wedding? I think Harry and Meghan tried very hard to get him to the wedding, even hiring a car to call for him and taking him to the airport. I don't get why HE is considered blameless. The tipping point for me is when he started badmouthing Meghan on TV and admitted he got money for going to the media. That is a major Deal Breaker IMO.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
No, Iím not suggesting that at all. But of all the topics in the world she could have written a childrenís book about, she chose one that because of her personal history is tone-deaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Only you are when you're insinuating that Meghan's relationship with her own father (or Harry's relationship with Charles) holds any relevance in terms of the subject of this book.
The original poster is correct to say that they did not suggest what you asked about in their original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
I do think it is incredibly tone-deaf and mind boggling that she would choose to write a book on father - son relationships given that she helped Harry throw his own father under the bus and she herself hasnít seen her own father in 3 years.
As I've understood it, her inspiration is Harry's relationship with Archie. Are you suggesting that people who don't have a (good) relationship with their own parent can't be good parents themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
There was a lot of fuss about sexism when it was announced that Mrs Michael Tindall, rather than Mrs Zara Tindall, had given birth to her second child, but the announcement was officially correct! Even a widow would officially be Mrs John Smith.
Have replied here.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
Both Harry AND Meghan were part of that interview. Harry was the one to criticize Charles not Meghan. So why is he not the one criticized but Meghan is accused of "lying." Unless some were "there" with her, how is it known? It is more he said she said sort of thing. Also why is Meghan accused of "severing" ties with her father when he was invited to the wedding? I think Harry and Meghan tried very hard to get him to the wedding, even hiring a car to call for him and taking him to the airport. I don't get why HE is considered blameless. The tipping point for me is when he started badmouthing Meghan on TV and admitted he got money for going to the media. That is a major Deal Breaker IMO.
I wonder if Charles and the rest of the family see the Oprah interview as a major deal breaker.
Going on tv and bad mouthing your family whom you know will not be able to respond.
Do you think that might be their tipping point.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:49 PM
Courtier

However, Tom Markle did get paid for the interviews and freely admitted it. It does not alleviate that Tom was not exactly father of the year. I think eventually like the time Charles criticized his parents to Dimbleby , time will heal this current situation.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Who exactly is giving a free pass to Harry, here? I have seen numerous posts about how they couldn't even get the timing of the alleged racist comment right. Regarding the Archie and Prince comment, Meghan was the one who made it. So, yes, she is the only one who is going to get the flak for blatantly lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I wonder if Charles and the rest of the family see the Oprah interview as a major deal breaker.
Going on tv and bad mouthing your family whom you know will not be able to respond.
What's the deal breaker for Thomas Markle is definitely going to be the deal breaker for H&M. In fact, it's already broken.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Courtier

Yet, Harry and Meghan were on the same page during the interview. I found the most severe comments from Harry himself: he mentioned his father never returned his calls and he was the one who spoke to the unnamed mystery person who talked about how Archie would look. I still don't get why SHE is the one getting the flak. Harry grew up in that family and is born in. As far as Deal Breakers, two wrongs don't make a right. And time will tell how this turns out. It's not over till it's over.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yet, Harry and Meghan were on the same page during the interview. I found the most severe comments from Harry himself: he mentioned his father never returned his calls and he was the one who spoke to the unnamed mystery person who talked about how Archie would look. I still don't get why SHE is the one getting the flak. Harry grew up in that family and is born in. As far as Deal Breakers, two wrongs don't make a right. And time will tell how this turns out. It's not over till it's over.
No. The most severe comment was about why Archie was not given a title, and what she put it down to. Harry was not even there when that comment was made. Rightfully, she gets the flak for it. N at the same time, I don't really see who is giving Harry a free pass. If anything, people were slagging him off for moaning about daddy not giving him pocket money. Meghan was also there, I wonder why she doesn't get any flak for that? Wait, that's because she didn't make that comment.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Well I saw it differently, the one that struck me was Harry's talking about his father and also the unnamed person. I am hoping for the best down the road. I am just saying generally that I notice Meghan is blamed for what she said and Harry has been spared and she is a "bad influence" and so on ad so forth., I notice this trend and I am not limiting it to what I see on this particular board. In any case, I hope for the best for the future and things improve with the family.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well I saw it differently, the one that struck me was Harry's talking about his father and also the unnamed person. I am hoping for the best down the road. I am just saying generally that I notice Meghan is blamed for what she said and Harry has been spared and she is a "bad influence" and so on ad so forth., I notice this trend and I am not limiting it to what I see on this particular board. In any case, I hope for the best for the future and things improve with the family.

I think both racial issues were first mentioned publicly, in the interview, by Meghan.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You are right , two wrongs do not make a right, I just find it interesting that some posters appear supportive of Meghans respone to her father's actions, which are not so unlike what Meghan and Harry then did to his family.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:09 PM
Courtier

What could she have done? Her father did not take her calls or Harry's then started complaining about his child to the media. I cut her some slack on this one. He also went to the media to slam her and got money from the media and admitted it. He could have spoken on the phone or Skyped with them and cleared the air. He even said the entire royal family "owed him" and they did not try to "make up with him." HM ignored him.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:11 PM
Aristocracy

The same applies to H & M as well. Make it private. In case of Thomas Markle, he gave interviews. The RF didn't do anything as such, and yet these two decided to slag them off in public. That's way more worse.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I think both racial issues were first mentioned publicly, in the interview, by Meghan.
Erin9, that is how I remember it too. Then when Harry joined, I think he looked surprised that Meghan had brought it up so maybe they had not discussed doing this - which would surprise me but still.

I think that so much of what BOTH of them said in the interview was unbelievably inappropriate. I for one do not blame only Meghan for this; both Meghan and Harry were complicit IMHO.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
What could she have done? Her father did not take her calls or Harry's then started complaining about his child to the media. I cut her some slack on this one. He also went to the media to slam her and got money from the media and admitted it. He could have spoken on the phone or Skyped with them and cleared the air. He even said the entire royal family "owed him" and they did not try to "make up with him." HM ignored him.
I am not challenging her actions, I just find it interesting that the couple conducted an interview that has questionable " details" in which they said very unpleasant things about the royal family. I would like other posters views on the difference between the behaviour of Thomas Markle and Harry and Meghan.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Charles himself criticized his parents...and truly come to regret it. As Giles Brandreth said recently, he believes Charles was in a bad, a dark, place - and when he emerged, he came to see that he was wrong about his assumptions. Iím not sure what would hurt/anger him the most about the interview, but I think itís a combination of things. Yes, H took these things public is a huge deal, but the fact that he thinks his family is racist and made those accusations public is crossing the line. Iím guessing Charles already knew H was angry and resentful about things before the interview, but making it public damages him in the public eye, and that must be incredibly hurtful. Charles has to deal with constant barbs from tv/movies/etc..about Diana; it got so bad w/the Crown that he and Camilla has to prevent people from responding on Twitter to their posts. Now his own SON is taking aim ? I canít imagine how hurt he must be.

Closed Thread