The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, the thing is the interview is already the old news. It was huge and then it disappeared.
Osipi, I love your posts, you went from being neutral to critical. I can imagine how difficult it is to stay on top in Hollywood, it's probably undoable.

is Oprah aware that there are grandchildren of the Queen who dont have titles, never mind great grandsons?

I am pretty sure Oprah has very limited knowledge of British royal titles and who can use them. But the rules were explained to Meghan. Again, she knew about the "George V rule" and said it herself on the interview.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure Oprah has very limited knowledge of British royal titles and who can use them. But the rules were explained to Meghan. Again, she knew about the "George V rule" .

Of course she does.. but my point was that Meghan could have saved her fainting with shock by explaining that not every descendant of the queen has a title.. Peter and Zara Philllips have none at all. But Meghan wanted to put forward her story that "the rules were going to be changed because of Archie's skin colour"..

If there had been no way to view the actual marriage certificate and had Lambeth continued to maintain silence...I wonder if the Sussexes would have continued to insist that they were already married before May 19th?:sad:

The Sun (British right-leaning tabloid) has reportedly bought Harry & Meghan's marriage certificate from General Register Office, before the Sussexes spokesperson's statement from Daily Beast. The marriage certificate did show that Harry & Meghan were married on 19th May at Queen's Free Chapel at St. George according to the rites and ceremonies of the Established Church. I personally think the statement from the Sussexes were made on the Daily Beast, because The Sun has released the Harry & Meghan's marriage certificate, less than a day before. To me, the statement is more like damaged control after the "truth" come out and Harry & Meghan don't want to appear to be lying.

Picture of the Marriage Certificate: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/NINTCHDBPICT000642859103.jpg?strip=all&w=960

MEG TIED THE NOT Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s wedding certificate proves couple did NOT marry three days before Windsor ceremony
HARRY and Meghan’s shock TV claim that they married three days before their official ceremony has been exposed as a sham — by their own wedding certificate.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14411884/meghan-markle-prince-harry-wedding-certificate-three-days/

Article from Australia's 9 News Honey picking up the news that The Sun bought the marriage certificate

UK publication obtains copy of Harry and Meghan marriage certificate
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/ha...ceremony/292bdf7e-6474-41fd-bbc0-f0019c2216aa

I agree with previous posters that it's very upsetting that Meghan feel the grand wedding is only for the public spectacle and do not feel the "union & celebration" of a couple. From this I could understand why most British taxpayer could be frustrated on the costs of the wedding.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure Oprah has very limited knowledge of British royal titles and who can use them. But the rules were explained to Meghan. Again, she knew about the "George V rule" and said it herself on the interview.

I'm going be cynical and state that I'm sure Oprah (or her team) had already done the research and knew exactly why Archie was not given a royal title from birth. I don't believe that Oprah's reaction was spontaneous.

I'm going be cynical and state that I'm sure Oprah (or her team) had already done the research and knew exactly why Archie was not given a royal title from birth. I don't believe that Oprah's reaction was spontaneous.
one gets the feeling that all three of them are pretty bad actors.. but probably Oprah DOESNT know the rules about royal titles. however all she's required to do is ot fake shock and horror at everything Meghan said.

What? I don't care what he does to earn money so long as he leaves his family alone but what does he know about helping people with mental health issues?

That’s BetterUp Inc.’s problem. I view this as a very positive step for H&M to move beyond their “problems” with the BRF and do what they need to do to live happy, fulfilled lives.

one gets the feeling that all three of them are pretty bad actors.. but probably Oprah DOESNT know the rules about royal titles. however all she's required to do is ot fake shock and horror at everything Meghan said.

I have already posted that I think Oprah set them up. I cannot believe she was so ill prepared she did not know the facts.
The faux shock then "really".
I believe she let them run their mouth off. Then stood back and watched the effect.

Just out of interest, has there been any sort of fallout for Oprah from this, in the US? Although people here are unimpressed at the apparent failure to check any facts, ask anything which might make Harry and Meghan look bad, and general behaving like a pantomime audience (ooh-ing and aah-ing), there's hardly been any talk about her, only about Harry and Meghan. With the Diana interview, there was no talk about the interviewer either, but I don't think most people'd even heard of Martin Bashir before then, whereas Oprah's been an A-list name for years.

No, actually, Oprah has one Oscar, one Tony, and one Emmy for acting, and as well as a number of other nominations and awards. She was brilliant in ‘The Butler’. A woman of parts...

:previous: She was amazing in The Colour Purple as well. Oprah's a great actor.

You know I was thinking - they were throwing a fit because Archie wasn't an HRH prince- did Princess Eugenie's son get an HRH prince title?

Your comparison between Archie and August doesn't even hold. Unless the rights are altered in the near future (which is what the Sussexes alluded to), Archie will automatically be entitled to royal styles once Charles ascends the throne. Unlike August who's never been even close to be entitled to royal styles as he will never be the grandson of a monarch.

Last edited by a moderator:
After all these new lies, bad behaviour, acting, stupidity, immaturity again!,
I do ask myself how anybody can still think positive about them, believe anything they say, write or air somehow using friends....

Seriously, can someone explain how this works in the US, are their polls about this?
Thank you.

We all know this is a question of educational background very much,
it is surely a special group of people watching Oprah or trash tv, this is the same maybe in every country. But H&M try to gain money for their foundation, those people watching&believing the interview are surely not those who will or can donate much money to them. So what is the idea behind the interview, beside revenge, mental sickness...?
Do they want to create a base of potential viewers for the coming netflix stuff?

I am not much into the US society, maybe someone can ry to explain?
Though I do not consider those two being very bright, after all the negative effects their actions had in the past, one should think they hired some advisors since, but what on earth did those intend with the interview?

Thanks!

And I, too, do believe that bringing an archbishop in such a situation is even worse than anything they did before or can do in the future. They seem to feel really no limits at all.
Unfortunately too little people are still close to church that this would bring them up against the couple.
But surely anybody with a rest if brain will distance themselves from the couple, one never knows what is next. I hope noone gives them a single dime!
Cathy, I am in the US - from North Carolina. The few conversations I’ve had with people here “what did you think?” have all agreed that talking about your family the way they did is appalling. You asked about a poll. According to this one that I found, they have lost support since the interview. Here is the link:

https://www.thenationalnews.com/wor...us-after-oprah-interview-poll-finds-1.1187446

I’m wondering how Oprah and Harry’s mental health thing will be received? I can’t imagine anyone wanting to hear about mental health from someone who basically admitted that he didn’t do anything to get his suicidal wife that help she needed
Eskimo, I agree with you. I am a counselor in the US so I know nothing about the NHS and how suicidal ideation is handled in the UK. If Harry (and Charles) have had therapy in the past, they could have picked up the phone to call that therapist directly. Or their personal physician. The protocol here would be to call a hotline (can understand why they wouldn’t want to do that), call your family physician, call a known mental health provider, or go to the ER. For them it would make sense to call someone they knew (she should also have connections to her obstetrician). Here, a physician or therapist would immediately dispatch a qualified therapist to make a confidential home visit to assess whether she was a danger to herself or others. There are people on call 24/7 to do these “mobile crisis” assessments. Or because of who she is, she could have been seen immediately somewhere discreet. If this person thought she was in danger of hurting herself, she would have been hospitalized. And if she needed to be, I think they could certainly have kept the reason quiet. We have no idea about the “infection” Prince Philip had, really. If it was that serious, it boggles my mind that Harry says he didn’t have the resources to get her help. It makes no sense at all to me; if you don’t know what to do, you find someone who does. If she seriously was considering suicide, I would not have expected her to make the calls, but Harry certainly should have.

Meghan mother has her MSW (master’s in social work) but that does NOT mean she is a licensed counselor or therapist - I have not seen her credentials listed as LCSW ( which would mean licensed clinical social worker). But she would have certainly advised her daughter to reach out to the physicians and therapists already known to the family.

She also stated that she went to HR "at the palace". HR is specifically for the paid employees that work at the palace of which Meghan is not part of. Just stating "the Palace" could mean to somebody in Kalamazoo, Michigan "the Queen".

I might be a senior citizen with a certain insurance Medicare supplement but that doesn't mean I can walk into *any* insurance Medicare supplement provider and ask for assistance. Anyone that is getting medical treatment at all knows that, for the most part, if you want a procedure, a treatment, a prescription or be admitted to an inpatient facility, you do need a doctor's referral. This is why Meghan's statement of not getting help from the Palace doesn't sit right with me at all. From the sounds of it, she walked into HR and requested they set her up for an inpatient visit somewhere (probably of her choice) and she was told that was something they just cannot do. Bottom line is that if that was what she really needed and had doctors backing her up, the "optics" would have been dealt with quite easily. She may not have ended up going where she wanted to go but she would have received the help she needed at the time.

Just another aspect of that whole interview that was so convoluted and without a whole lot of context or any hint of what the solution finally was.
Osipi, I agree. HR couldn’t arrange for in-patient for her. She would have to be assessed by a mental health professional who would determine if that is what she needed.

Archewell staff resignation

This was in the US news magazine Newsweek today; this is not a US tabloid. Ms. St-Laurant worked for Melinda Gates - she and her husband Bill are very respected and real VIPs, not entertainers - and is stepping down after 11 months.

As someone else said, they are trying to establish themselves in the business world and they need someone with skills they don’t have to help them. I read that she believed she was being asked to do things outside her role/job description. I am sorry for M & H; she sounds very sharp. I hope they will be able to figure out how to be happy and fulfilled in California.

https://www.newsweek.com/meghan-mar...r-debate-echoes-duchess-difficult-era-1577979

OK, now that Harry is employed by BetterUp and has contracts with Spotify and Netflix, I ask .. who can do all of this at once? Who gets what part of him? I hope he is being advised well.

According to a Telegraph article, Genevieve Roth, Harry & Meghan's new strategist at Archewell has made some comments (unsure on what medium and time/date) on unconscious bias and internalised racism. The Sussexes are definitely going down the path of "progressive roles".

Sussexes' aide says all white people are 'rife with internalised racism'
Genevieve Roth, the Duke and Duchess' new strategist, said she realised her 'unconscious bias' after marrying her black husband
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...e-says-white-people-rife-internalised-racism/

Articles in The Telegraph are free to access for 24 hours, as a marking of a year since UK Lockdown started (Day of Reflection). Please PM me if you cannot access the full article.

This couple has had more than it's fair share of transitions that for most of us would be life changing. First, Meghan drops her career and moves across an ocean to join Harry in the world of British royalty and all that entails. She was a fish out of water. Huge royal wedding and a baby soon to follow and things just didn't work out well at all.

So they up stakes and end up in California. Now it's Harry that is a fish out of water. I think I realized that when he stressed out about having security. He's always had it 24/7 in the UK and wherever he went as a British prince. Perhaps. the cost being beside the point, he's never realize that in the US in the locale where he is where its not uncommon to run across a well known celebrity, that he's really not going to be a big deal anymore. The deference he'd known in the UK probably doesn't exist in his new life. He's "Harry" that has the Queen of the UK for his grandmother. No big deal to most Americans. If it is true that he felt he deserved more than being a second banana to his brother, the reality of being just like everybody else in the US is going to hit him hard between the eyes. The title of Duke has a nice ring to it but it won't open doors and fill the bank account. Perhaps he's going to realize that he doesn't really *need* security 24/7 anymore.

This also was shown with Meghan being the draw for the interview and Harry "joining" her as an add on. They didn't quite get equal billing in that dog and pony show. Life has drastically changed for Harry in so many ways that he's probably not even realized yet. I'm hoping he seriously finds himself and digs and uses the stuff he's made of to his advantage. He's passionate about a lot of things and that is what he can draw on for his strength in going forward.

It'll take a while, I'm sure, for this couple to find their footing and both feel "home" where they are and go forward to a happy and prosperous life. Transplanting to being a stranger in a strange land never comes easy at all.

I was particularly interested in his comment in the James Corden show when he jokingly commented about how members of the Royal Family don't carry cash. I thought it was a clumsy thing to say, not funny, and I think it was a clue that he has not worked out how he is going to fit in to the New World in which he finds himself. I doubt he thought his life would be so different, and that's at least partly because he didn't live a normal life in the UK. He is not just an Englishman who married an American and moved to her homeland, he is a member of the British Royal Family who had never lived an ordinary life in his own country.

That’s BetterUp Inc.’s problem. I view this as a very positive step for H&M to move beyond their “problems” with the BRF and do what they need to do to live happy, fulfilled lives.

I agree, it's good to see them taking new steps and hopefully move on from their grievances

OT:
I don't want to get into the racism debate, but actually an Oprah show from yeeeeaaars ago made me aware how casually the color of a persons skin is taken for granted when you are not experiencing anything related to it yourselves, like:
If you'd buy a bandaid or a pantyhose with the color 'skincolor'....what color is it, for a person with which color of skin would it be skincolor? (mind you, this was a long time ago, i think since then you can buy various skincolor colors)
There was, i think, also an experiment with members of the audience with different color scarves (or something) who were treated differently, that too was very interesting to me..

but anyway, back to H&M and hopefully more new news soon ?

I have already posted that I think Oprah set them up. I cannot believe she was so ill prepared she did not know the facts.
The faux shock then "really".
I believe she let them run their mouth off. Then stood back and watched the effect.
Why would she set them up? I presume she wanted an interview where Meghan claimed that all the problems she had were the fault of the racist RF.. and that's also what Meghan wanted to do. Im sure the whole thing was as planned, that Meghan would say something vague and incoherent implying that the RF and the palace were racists, and Orpah would go "Oh my God is that really true?" rather than subject her to any real questioning.

OK, now that Harry is employed by BetterUp and has contracts with Spotify and Netflix, I ask .. who can do all of this at once? Who gets what part of him? I hope he is being advised well.

I dont think he is exactly overworked. they dont seem to have done anyting for the Netflix deal as yet.. and I imagine that he'll do a few ads for the Betterup thing..

That's a pretty clear and concise article with loads of information in it. Gives more detail just what BetterUp is and how it works. Not only that but Harry is also taking advantage of their services which can only be a good thing. Another aspect that makes this different than other apps for therapy and counseling is that they're primarily geared for businesses and help for employees.

They've got iron in the fire and that's moving forward in their lives. I wish them well with it.

It's such a totally different world than stepping out on a global platform where fame, accolades and praise and immense coverage by the media and the interest of the people are guaranteed

Like I've said before, its a dog eat dog world and they're wearing Milk Bone underwear now. :D

Praise??? Where does that come from??? I can't remember having read much praise about Meghan when they were still working Royals. I read stuff about their community kitchen being connected to Isis, etc, though (won't repeat all the negative stuff, Osipi. In an ideal world they would have had such a platform in Britain but the media did not cooperate. Maybe it's really better in the US. Meghan is known to be able to work hard and Harry must now follow her, I think).

To be fair, it was Oprah who expressed indignation at a "great-grandson of the Queen" not having a title. Even Meghan understands what she called "the George V rule" or something like that. What Meghan was actually trying to imply is that she was made aware of discussions about Archie not becoming a prince either when Charles is King, i.e. that the current rules could be changed and that such changes were being considered perhaps because Archie would be biracial.
Meghan did show that she understood the George V LP which stipulates that her children would become HRH Prince/ss when Charles ascends, but then she was told that new LPs will be issued and her children would not get the HRH Prince/ss styling. She expressed that she thought that it was unfair that King Charles would have some children who are HRH Prince/ss (the Cambridge line) and some who are not (the Sussex line), overlooking the fact that not all monarch granchildren are automatically HRH Prince/ss, just the male line, but she conveniently left out that her children getting the HRH Prince/ss styling under the George V styling is based on gender bias.

To me what was interesting about that exchange is that Meghan goes back and forth between current times and future times. It seems what she really wanted was for her and Harry's children to be HRH Prince/ss at birth, like the Cambridge children, and justified her desire by disingenuously claiming that with the HRH Prince/ss title and styling came security which of course is easily proven as false given that there are HRH Princes and Princesses who do not have security.

[...]
I really liked Meghan when she joined the RF, though not much of that is left. But lying about a miscarriage is taking things too far.
If that ever came out, there would be Hell to pay, not just in the UK but worldwide. And she can't afford that. You don't joke about something so horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they first married a good chunk of the public and the respectable Aka not gutter tabloid press were very much for her and ready to praise her... she was a symbol of a modern monarchy, going to change the institution in such and such way, it was a real love story, the usual comparisons to Diana Which is pretty much the treatment Kate got as well.

They had a strong secure platform in that and the whole Royal system to be the change they claim they want to see in world and they completely blew it all almost immediately.

What do they have now? A minor very expensive victory against a tabloid? broken estranged family relations? Talk show hosts spreading private family conversation? Some nebulous foundation? Ok then.

When they first married a good chunk of the public and the respectable Aka not gutter tabloid press were very much for her and ready to praise her... she was a symbol of a modern monarchy, going to change the institution in such and such way, it was a real love story, the usual comparisons to Diana Which is pretty much the treatment Kate got as well.

They had a strong secure platform in that and the whole Royal system to be the change they claim they want to see in world and they completely blew it all almost immediately.

What do they have now? A minor very expensive victory against a tabloid? broken estranged family relations? Talk show hosts spreading private family conversation? Some nebulous foundation? Ok then.

Very well said, Harry & Meghan have definitely blew the opportunity by the time they decided to leave the Royal Family after less than two years as working royals.

On the day of Harry & Meghan's engagement announcement and wedding, most of the newspapers headlines/front cover (including tabloids) were ecstatic and positive.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev4_4wzXYAEbM2i?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev4_6kQXYAg9she?format=jpg&name=large

On their first engagement on December 2017 to Nottingham, Harry & Meghan were met with cheering crowds.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-harry-meghan-markle-met-13980804
https://news.sky.com/story/live-harry-and-meghan-in-nottingham-for-first-official-visit-11151111

There were also cheers when Harry & Meghan were at Cardiff Castle on 18th January 2018 and Edinburgh Castle on 13th February 2018
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-42739200
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...n-first-royal-visit-to-scotland-a3765711.html

At one engagement to a youth radio station at Brixton (South London) on January 2018, the locals and crowds are very excited about Meghan, particularly on how the Royal Family is bringing into the 21st Century.

Compared to Camilla who was even booed at her wedding to Charles (let alone royal engagements), Meghan was initially received well by the British public and press.

I hope Harry's new role as a Chief Impact Officer at BetterUp would turn things around or just moving forward from the explosive interview with Oprah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom