The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You never know what's going on in someone's head, but Harry did genuinely seem happy and cheerful at one time [...] Charles and Diana's very bitter and public divorce, followed by Diana's tragic early death, would have been enough to mess anyone's head up, but he did seem to be doing OK back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
You never know what's going on in someone's head, but Harry did genuinely seem happy and cheerful at one time [...] Charles and Diana's very bitter and public divorce, followed by Diana's tragic early death, would have been enough to mess anyone's head up, but he did seem to be doing OK back then.
That's because he didn't know he was trapped. [...]

You never know what's going on in someone's head, but Harry did genuinely seem happy and cheerful at one time [...]

I don't know much about his personal life and I didn't follow him back then, but I think there is a difference between being genuinely happy and cheerful and being a youngster living the high life, which might be the case of Harry in his 20s.

[...]

I think that's what most people assumed, that they had a private exchange of vows. Very nice - I hope it was a very special and romantic moment for the two of them. But that's not what she said. I don't imagine for a minute that she intended for it to cause a huge fuss with people questioning whether or not the Archbishop of Canterbury had acted illegally or unethically, but she should have stopped to consider that it might. Twisting things to make them sound more exciting or romantic or dramatic or whatever is all right when you're in the primary school playground, but not when you're doing an interview being watched by millions of people around the world.

And, once it became clear that the remark had caused problems, why not issue a statement clarifying what had happened, instead of just ignoring it?

Exactly. I’m willing to give Meghan the benefit of the doubt that she didn’t intend for this to cause a mess for the AOC. She probably didn’t think about it- but she should have. That is a consequence of lying though.

It really surprises me too that they didn’t bother to issue a statement clarifying this until AFTER it had been absolutely proved that they lied. She knew it was causing problems. It looks bad IMO. She could have saved a lot of headaches and just said- it was a private exchange of vows, but we were not legally married that day. Just admit it.

Why wait until you’re a proven liar? It looks much worse to wait to me. I mean- they had no problem clarifying at least about Harry’s grandparents, no problem spilling private family conversations after the interview, but they couldn’t clarify this?

A popular young guy with money to burn to say the least and no real responsibility other than not totally embarrass himself or his family( fail on that) and beautiful girlfriend... it’s easy to ignore feelings of unease, unhappiness and sadness in the whirl of fun.

Now he has Money to earn, he is middle aged with seemingly no close friends of his own around with a high maintenance wife and son with another on the way though he still low key embarrassing himself with the inane things he says and does. He can’t hide from himself anymore or avoid his problems with distractions.

Exactly. I’m willing to give Meghan the benefit of the doubt that she didn’t intend for this to cause a mess for the AOC. She probably didn’t think about it- but she should have. That is a consequence of lying though.

She will probably say she didn't lie, but rather simply misunderstood their personal exchange of vows for an actual marriage ceremony, which is really surprising, but I guess not impossible.

Her "misunderstanding" obviously caused an embarrassment for the Archbishop, but other misunderstandings may be more serious. For example, she may have misled many people, especially in America, into believing that the rules for the use of royal titles and styles in the United Kingdom include race-based criteria, which is not true and a serious accusation considering that those rules are part of British public law.

She may have also misled people into thinking that holding an HRH title is a necessary requirement for personal police protection in the UK, which again is not true. In fact, being an HRH is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition to get police protection in the UK.

Last edited:

It really surprises me too that they didn’t bother to issue a statement clarifying this until AFTER it had been absolutely proved that they lied. She knew it was causing problems. It looks bad IMO. She could have saved a lot of headaches and just said- it was a private exchange of vows, but we were not legally married that day. Just admit it.

Why wait until you’re a proven liar? It looks much worse to wait to me. I mean- they had no problem clarifying at least about Harry’s grandparents, no problem spilling private family conversations after the interview, but they couldn’t clarify this?
I think they were a bit wary about annoying the queen,. She IS the monarch after all and I think even Harry realised it looked bad if he said his grandmother was making racist remarks, so he pulled back.
but Meghan is less sensitive on how her remarks look. She probably didn't realise that it looked so arrogant and stupid.. to claim to have been privately married.. and that involving the Archbishop of Canterbury, an eminent churchman, wasn't a good look either. Probably took a little while before she came to realise that she had made herself look stupid and deceitful and rude and that she had to back down a bit.
And it was so dumb. There was some motivation behind the other false statements about Archie etc.. it was part of their plan to make the RF seem heartless and racist. But what was to be gained by saying "Oh nobody knows this but we got married a few days before our official wedding"....

She will probably say she didn't lie, but rather simply misunderstood their personal exchange of vows for an actual marriage ceremony, which is really surprising, but I guess not impossible.

Her "misunderstanding" obviously caused an embarrassment for the Archbishop, but other misunderstandings may be more serious. For example, she may have misled many people, especially in America, into believing that the rules for the use of royal titles and styles in the United Kingdom include race-based criteria, which is not true and a serious accusation considering that those rules are part of British public law.

She may have also misled people into thinking that holding an HRH title is a necessary requirement for personal police protection in the UK, which again is not true. In fact, being an HRH is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition to get police protection in the UK.

I do 't think M. will say anything concerning her lies.
But is there any awareness about the points you listed?
Is anybody in the US really interested ? Is there a discussion about the aftermath of the interview? In Europe nobody really cares(except maybe the british royalists), but only h&m are feeding the tabloids once more LOL

Thanks.

I am not so sure. You can't talk about all of Hollywood. I remember how easy it was for "His Highness Prince Frederick of Anhalt" to gain entrance into high up Hollywood circles and how he then married Zsa Zsa Gabor, making her the "Princess of Anhalt". That Frederick was not (!) a king's son but just a German of unsavoury reputation who had payed a penniless princess for adoption. He appears to have a nice character, though. Or at least nice manners. And he made his fortune in Hollywood!

Sorry, that was 50 years ago,. You can't compare it with today's climate. I just have a feeling that big businesses will be very careful with the Success, they don't need scandals of this scale and they don't want to lose their UK audience.

Is anybody in the US really interested ? Is there a discussion about the aftermath of the interview? In Europe nobody really cares(except maybe the british royalists), but only h&m are feeding the tabloids once more LOL

Thanks.

I think there has certianly been a lot of discussion on the American media, she accused the RF of heartlessness and racism.. two things that are pretty bad.. and since Oprah didn't challenge here, a lot of people may well beleive what she siad.

Did Meghan personally call the man who really encountered difficulties because of her desire to play up to her audience and claim the additional romantics of "just for us"? I only found a snippet of their statement. Did they say they were sorry for inconveniencing the AoC, as it has emerged that now there are tons of pleas for weddings that vicars are not authorized to conduct? Did she call Justin Welby to apologize since she so loves personal touches?

Gayle? Hello? Anyone?

I think there has certianly been a lot of discussion on the American media, she accused the RF of heartlessness and racism.. two things that are pretty bad.. and since Oprah didn't challenge here, a lot of people may well beleive what she siad.

Well, maybe what I expected. so no real interest in the truth but a lot of fuss.
By the way I was surprised, did not know Oprah but if her style is so appreciated to the US audience I am no longer surprised they are called superficial.
Any serious Journalist or even boulevard journalist in Europe makes better interviews than what I saw from this Oprah. No questions, no deeper interest, just eyebrows rising..... cheap, very cheap indeed.
And considered the average american knowing very little about history or monarchy the whole mess is perfect.
But I hope the negative impact for the two is bigger than the interest in them and will hit back, at least anybody donating money should think twice.

Did Meghan personally call the man who really encountered difficulties because of her desire to play up to her audience and claim the additional romantics of "just for us"? I only found a snippet of their statement. Did they say they were sorry for inconveniencing the AoC, as it has emerged that now there are tons of pleas for weddings that vicars are not authorized to conduct? Did she call Justin Welby to apologize since she so loves personal touches?

Gayle? Hello? Anyone?

The statement was apparently made directly to the Daily Beast that Yukari linked to this morning. So all they said was the very brief snippet. No Gayle saying how sorry they were for the confusion or anything.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marri...ot-marry-in-their-backyard-as-they-told-oprah

I wonder if they've decided it was a mistake to have Gayle comment last week because it got them a lot less sympathy for sharing private conversations and still making themselves out to be the victims whilst winning a privacy claim themselves.

Thanks.

The general US public may not be interested, but the interview had an impact in the US as it was commented by media personalities, talk show hosts, newspaper columnists (including former presidential speechwriters), and even politicians/Members of Congress. Even the White House spokesperson was asked about it, although the matter was not addressed directly in the response. So it affected IMHO the image of the Royal Family or even of the United Kingdom in the US.

You have to keep in mind that the United States is a republic where, for example, the constitution guarantees a republican form of government to all the states and both the states and the federal government are barred from granting titles of nobility or knighthoods. Public officers are also barred from accepting those titles from foreign countries and naturalized citizens must renounce them upon naturalization.

On top of that, American kids are raised from childhood in US schools with this idea that US independence (what is called the American Revolution in the USA) was a just rebellion against a tyrannical King (George III). The nuances of the causes of the revolution, which BTW are spelled out far more clearly in the Declaration of Independence, are normally not properly discussed in public schools, and there is even less discussion on whether King George was personally at fault for the grievances of the colonists or, if the blame actually lay constitutionally with the British Parliament and the King's ministers.

In any case, what I am trying to say is that all of the above, plus the American "ideology" of meritocracy and equal opportunity (or at least the illusion thereof) make many Americans naturally suspicious of royalty and monarchy, and inclined to believe the worst about royals (the Americans who thought otherwise, i.e. the Loyalists, basically left after the Revolution to settle in Canada, which is still a monarchy, or were assimilated in the US).

It doesn't take too much then for Meghan to sound "credible" to Americans when she says for example that the BRF is "racist". Actually, even more so in this case, because Americans also tend to over-analyze social relations from the perspective of race compared to people in other multi-racial countries.

Last edited:
We had moved on from the discussion of the interview as it related to the wedding, but since it has been brought back up with the release of this statement:

I recently relived through reading bits of the old threads, as I am fond of doing, several of the royal wedding threads. I stopped by for a bit of reading in a couple of the Sussex wedding threads.

I was struck with such feeling of sadness to be reminded of Meghan's words that "this wasn't our day" and it was a "spectacle" for "the world" because if you remember the feeling at the time, this is so dissonant to the feeling. Those live threads are filled, in a way none of the other royal wedding threads are, of how personal this day seemed to the couple: how Harry and Meghan seemed to be in a world of their own in their love for each other, how the selections of elements seemed so personal to them in a way never done before, how Harry seemed overwhelmed with loving nerves, how remarkable and poised Doria was as she held back tears for her daughter.

I am very saddened to think that amidst this joy and raw emotion, the couple did not feel that this was their day of celebration and union.

Sorry, lost you there, what symbol and which Prince?
The late musical artist and songwriter Prince Rogers Nelson who went by his stage name "Prince" briefly used a symbol in lieu of his name.

In the midst of a contractual dispute with Warner Bros in 1993, he changed his stage name to the unpronounceable symbol (known to fans as the "Love Symbol"), and was sometimes referred to as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince or simply the Artist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)

That's the background for the joke about Prince Harry.

Last edited:
No one forced them to have an extravaganza. They could easily have had an elegant yet cozy private wedding with just the closest family and friends like his cousins. So I can’t feel sorry for them in anyway.

We had moved on from the discussion of the interview as it related to the wedding, but since it has been brought back up with the release of this statement:

I recently relived through reading bits of the old threads, as I am fond of doing, several of the royal wedding threads. I stopped by for a bit of reading in a couple of the Sussex wedding threads.

I was struck with such feeling of sadness to be reminded of Meghan's words that "this wasn't our day" and it was a "spectacle" for "the world" because if you remember the feeling at the time, this is so dissonant to the feeling. Those live threads are filled, in a way none of the other royal wedding threads are, of how personal this day seemed to the couple: how Harry and Meghan seemed to be in a world of their own in their love for each other, how the selections of elements seemed so personal to them in a way never done before, how Harry seemed overwhelmed with loving nerves, how remarkable and poised Doria was as she held back tears for her daughter.

I am very saddened to think that amidst this joy and raw emotion, the couple did not feel that this was their day of celebration and union.

They didn't give a tuppeny damn, what the public thought... at least Meg certianly didn't. I thoguht at the time that Harry at least looked rather desperate, clinigng to Meghan...

The general US public may not be interested, but the interview had an impact in the US as it was commented by media personalities, talk show hosts, newspaper columnists (including former presidential speechwriters), and even politicians/Members of Congress. Even the White House spokesperson was asked about it, although the matter was not addressed directly in the response. So it affected IMHO the image of the Royal Family or even of the United Kingdom in the US.

You have to keep in mind that the United States is a republic where, for example, the constitution guarantees a republican form of government to all the states and both the states and the federal government are barred from granting titles of nobility or knighthoods. Public officers are also barred from accepting those titles from foreign countries and naturalized citizens must renounce them upon naturalization.

On top of that, American kids are raised from childhood in US schools with this idea that US independence (what is called the American Revolution in the USA) was a just rebellion against a tyrannical King (George III). The nuances of the causes of the revolution, which BTW are spelled out far more clearly in the Declaration of Independence, are normally not properly discussed in public schools, and there is even less discussion on whether King George was personally at fault for the grievances of the colonists or, if the blame actually lay constitutionally with the British Parliament and the King's ministers.

In any case, what I am trying to say is that all of the above, plus the American "ideology" of meritocracy and equal opportunity (or at least the illusion thereof) make many Americans naturally suspicious of royalty and monarchy, and inclined to believe the worst about royals (the Americans who thought otherwise, i.e. the Loyalists, basically left after the Revolution to settle in Canada, which is still a monarchy, or were assimilated in the US).

It doesn't take too much then for Meghan to sound "credible" to Americans when she says for example that the BRF is "racist". Actually, even more so in this case, because Americans also tend to overanalyze social relations from the perspective of race compared to people in other multi-racial countries.

Thank you, I know this aswell, but being in Europe at the moment I am not up to date with the us media coverage. So, the average american who watches it, has no interest in the truth but simply stucks to the lies Meghan&H spread, this is of course sad but if it is really tragig I don't know. After all it's only Us citizens, maybe the two hope to get donations for Archwell but the big money will not come from these people I think.
The two might come to some popularity just like other US phenomenals like the Kradashians who do what? LOL

I often wondered what this subtitle of the boom " the making of a modern royal family" was meant to relate to. The Sussex family who needs the royal background to attract some attention, because their own actions do not. Or if the author dreamt of the Sussex making the BRF a new modern "better" kind of royal family, yet their drama, lies and bitterness does not help anybody not even themselves.
Though being jot sure what all the change in society will bring in the future and to monarchies I hope the BRF will live out the Sussex couple and their breed.

:previous: Well said HighGoalHighDreams . It is sad to think that this is Meghan seems to feel about her official wedding day on May 19, 2018.

Thanks.

Nobody here is interested, well, perhaps some of her fans are, but they are not in any of the papers, and I think the morning shows stopped covering them as well. People are busy with serious staff, a promise of another lockdown, looking for jobs they lost during the pandemic, who's got the time parsing the interview? I think they lost the attention of the American public.

I think this is actually probably very, very close to the truth. Given the way we’ve seen them twist things around it makes complete sense that this is much closer to reality than those lines they tried to shove down everyone’s throats during that train wreck with Oprah.

This is why I was so annoyed at Oprah who appeared to just accept everything that was said without question or at least it was edited to that effect.
The whole world knew the wedding story was wrong, even if you do not live in the uk, but Oprah just accepted it.
It in my eyes put into question everything she said, because it is as Oprah said ' THEIR TRUTH' not the truth.
Harry saying he will never discuss the conversation about the babys skin tone oh but Meghan will instead of me.
All the talk about evidence, putting her friends on the tv to talk.
They are obviously looking for something from the family.
What was Meghans saying do not give it 5 minutes if you are not prepared to give it 5 years. She didn't even wait around for the Sandringham summit, she was off.
She followed up on that didnt she. She hit the ground running alright, straight to the airport.

I

I personaly didn't think it was as well organised as most royal weddings are.. and I felt for poor Doria who seemed a bit lost....
but over all, it just wasn't IMO that impressive. and now it seems that Meghan didn't really wnat to go through with it.. (poor dear) and only did it to please the crowds who were all excited about it...

Prince Harry has taken on a position with BetterUP Inc. Good luck to him in his new role.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/prince...02?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/iILatjXklP

No longer a working member of the royal family, Prince Harry has a new job: executive at a Silicon Valley startup.
The Duke of Sussex will become chief impact officer of BetterUp Inc., the fast-growing coaching and mental health firm, the company plans to announce Tuesday.
The role is the latest foray into business for the duke who, with his wife, Meghan Markle, relinquished roles as full-time working members of the British monarchy and have tapped into their celebrity with a string of lucrative deals in recent months.
“I intend to help create impact in people’s lives,” Prince Harry said in an emailed response to questions about why he’s taking the job.

:previous: Well said HighGoalHighDreams . It is sad to think that this is Meghan seems to feel about her official wedding day on May 19, 2018.

Yes well said HighGoalHighDreams...
The excitement for the two of them was palpable that day, the build up all week, the pageantry , the obvious love.

The elements of the day that was so special to Meghan and her life, some of it suggested by Prince Charles and the AOC.
It is so sad that it meant nothing to her.

Sorry, that was 50 years ago,. You can't compare it with today's climate. I just have a feeling that big businesses will be very careful with the Success, they don't need scandals of this scale and they don't want to lose their UK audience.

No..it wasn't 50 years ago at all. "Prince" van Anhalt crashed Hollywood society in the late 80's/early 90's and rode his bogus title for all it was worth at the time. Which wasn't much.:whistling:

I do agree that businesses may not be as impressed or free with $$ to the Sussexes as they anticipate. A lot...an awful lot...depends on the success of the Netflix and Spotify deals. M/H are red hot now due to the notoriety of the Big Interview.

But Hollywood has an extremely short attention span. Unless they plan to continue to give bombshell(ill-advised) interviews, I am not sure how they plan to keep up momentum.

Last edited:
This couple has had more than it's fair share of transitions that for most of us would be life changing. First, Meghan drops her career and moves across an ocean to join Harry in the world of British royalty and all that entails. She was a fish out of water. Huge royal wedding and a baby soon to follow and things just didn't work out well at all.

So they up stakes and end up in California. Now it's Harry that is a fish out of water. I think I realized that when he stressed out about having security. He's always had it 24/7 in the UK and wherever he went as a British prince. Perhaps. the cost being beside the point, he's never realize that in the US in the locale where he is where its not uncommon to run across a well known celebrity, that he's really not going to be a big deal anymore. The deference he'd known in the UK probably doesn't exist in his new life. He's "Harry" that has the Queen of the UK for his grandmother. No big deal to most Americans. If it is true that he felt he deserved more than being a second banana to his brother, the reality of being just like everybody else in the US is going to hit him hard between the eyes. The title of Duke has a nice ring to it but it won't open doors and fill the bank account. Perhaps he's going to realize that he doesn't really *need* security 24/7 anymore.

This also was shown with Meghan being the draw for the interview and Harry "joining" her as an add on. They didn't quite get equal billing in that dog and pony show. Life has drastically changed for Harry in so many ways that he's probably not even realized yet. I'm hoping he seriously finds himself and digs and uses the stuff he's made of to his advantage. He's passionate about a lot of things and that is what he can draw on for his strength in going forward.

It'll take a while, I'm sure, for this couple to find their footing and both feel "home" where they are and go forward to a happy and prosperous life. Transplanting to being a stranger in a strange land never comes easy at all.

What? I don't care what he does to earn money so long as he leaves his family alone but what does he know about helping people with mental health issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom