The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...It was rumoured that Charles had set up such arrangements for Camilla’s children when he married her but no proof has ever come out about it. Nor have any of Charles’s private funding of his sons ever really been in the public domain, though rumours abounded for years as to the amounts.

And on another tangent, where is the proof that Meghan is regretting her marriage or that a divorce is looming? No proof has ever existed away from Tumblr, SM gossip that the couple are unhappy in any way since they first met.

Talking about forthcoming divorce and whether Meghan would have liked another husband is surely just a teeny bit off in a couple who are expecting their second child in just over three years of marriage.

Women who are miserable in their relationship don’t decide to have a baby in the first year of their marriage. Nor do they go through the pain and heartbreak of miscarriage to try again shortly afterwards.

If there had been the tiniest hint of any discord in the Sussex marriage then the tabloids would have been onto it in a flick of an eye. There never has been anything of that nature at all, and in fact both Harry and Meghan have never shown anything but love, devotion and the utmost loyalty to each other.

I read somewhere that the general public didn't know that Charles and Diana have a troubled marriage, while the press already knew it for years, and PDA can easily be faked, especially when one half of the couple was an actress.

As much as I think the interview was a very grand mistake and did the couple more harm than good, I don't see it as being reflective on their relationship or their intentions going into the future. No one can really sit back and speculate on the state of a marriage that is solely between two people and no one else. Same thing with their bank accounts.

Perhaps its time to leave the interview behind as we've pretty much exhausted everything there is to say about that and no real new news has surfaced about it or its repercussions.

There does seem to be a lot of activity in getting Archewell off the ground and up and running and as the restrictions from the pandemic ease, I think we'll be hearing more and more of what is in store as Archewell gets into the full swing of things.

They can’t use them in the states so they useless anyway Unless They want to keep them just to give themselves that edge. A fancy meaningless titled in front of your name can impress a lot of hangers on, influencers and vapid socialites

Not in Hollywood, literally, nobody cares if they have titles or HRH, it's what the Sussexes can bring to the table. I guess, everyone assumed it was their royal connections, but H&M blew that with that stupid interview. It was really short-sighted of Harry to declare that Charles will not take his calls and that he has been cut off financially. Furthermore, his relationship with William, the future King is on very shaky ground. not to mention the resignation of their chief of staff today, who by the way used to work for Bill Gates and left that position to come on board the Archweel. They will have a hard time attracting serious players.

One thing to keep in mind, neither Meghan not Harry have ever been employers on the scale that they are now. I know that they have been in positions where they had people working for them, Meghan has had publicists and probably an assistant, and Harry had staff that were hired to work in various capacities for him. But I'm not sure either of them have ever run what is essentially a globally recognized business, with all that entails. In Harry's case especially, it wouldn't surprise me if his idea of an employee is basically someone who has a job description but is also expected to do pretty much anything that comes up. Royal staff I think are probably happy to go above and beyond for the Royal Family, and Harry may think that anyone in his employ would be the same. In Meghan's case, an assistant to an actor or celebrity *does* kind of do whatever comes up, at any time. It's notoriously a thankless job.

All this to say that their life experiences up to this point may not have prepared them for this particular responsibility. It's not a dig at Meghan, she can be all that she is - educated, intelligent, driven to succeed- and still not be a great employer. Same for Harry.

An interesting thoughtful post there SadieKelly. I agree with you. I know if I was trying to get a growing business off the ground and suddenly had a large staff to deal with I would probably make mistakes especially in this woke world. Life ! it is all a great big learning experience. I wish them well in their endeavours.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the general public didn't know that Charles and Diana have a troubled marriage, while the press already knew it for years, and PDA can easily be faked, especially when one half of the couple was an actress.

What stories do you have from any credible news sources that Harry and Meghan aren’t happy together? Nothing that I’ve read has said so and I read a great deal about the couple.

I remember the Diana years well. Tina Brown and others did write articles quite early in the marriage that things weren’t going well between Diana and Charles, certainly earlier into the relationship than Harry and Meghan’s nearly three year union and two years of dating/engagement before that. They’ve been together five years altogether this coming May/June.

And with the amount of critical attention on them every day from the media and the leaks from KP and their staff, if there was any discord it would have come out by now, plastered all over the tabloids and magazines.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind, neither Meghan not Harry have ever been employers on the scale that they are now. I know that they have been in positions where they had people working for them, Meghan has had publicists and probably an assistant, and Harry had staff that were hired to work in various capacities for him. But I'm not sure either of them have ever run what is essentially a globally recognized business, with all that entails. In Harry's case especially, it wouldn't surprise me if his idea of an employee is basically someone who has a job description but is also expected to do pretty much anything that comes up. Royal staff I think are probably happy to go above and beyond for the Royal Family, and Harry may think that anyone in his employ would be the same. In Meghan's case, an assistant to an actor or celebrity *does* kind of do whatever comes up, at any time. It's notoriously a thankless job.

All this to say that their life experiences up to this point may not have prepared them for this particular responsibility. It's not a dig at Meghan, she can be all that she is - educated, intelligent, driven to succeed- and still not be a great employer. Same for Harry.

I just wrote a post about that issue. It seems that they can't keep staff.Catherine St-Laurent, who resigned her position at Melinda Gates' women and families foundation - and held a top communications role at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in order to work for H&M production company. I am sure she will not comment publicly, which is pretty much the business etiquette, but in private she might t caution a professional of her caliber to be careful with the Succexxes.

Last edited:
What stories do you have from any credible news sources that Harry and Meghan aren’t happy together? Nothing that I’ve read has said so and I read a great deal about the couple.

I remember the Diana years well. Tina Brown and others did write articles quite early in the marriage that things weren’t going well between Diana and Charles, certainly earlier into the relationship than Harry and Meghan’s nearly three year union and two years of dating/engagement before that. They’ve been together five years altogether this coming May/June.

And with the amount of critical attention on them every day from the media and the leaks from KP and their staff, if there was any discord it would have come out by now, plastered all over the tabloids and magazines.

I'm not saying that Harry and Meghan's marriage is on the rocks, but people back then also thought that Charles and Diana have no problems whatsoever in their marriage, and don't forget that Peter and Autumn's separation came as a shock a couple of years ago. What I'm trying to say is people can put up a front and PDA can be deceiving.

Now, we can close this secret wedding debacle.

Harry and Meghan Finally Admit They Didn’t Have Secret Backyard Wedding

(...)

A spokesperson for the couple conceded Monday that “the couple exchanged personal vows a few days before their official/legal wedding on May 19.”

That backyard exchange of personal vows does not constitute marriage.

The belated admission on the record, which follows several anonymous briefings to journalists, marks the end of a tortuous saga that began when Meghan told Oprah she and Harry tied the knot “in our backyard” three days before the $50 million public wedding on May 19, 2018.

(...)

I'm not saying that Harry and Meghan's marriage is on the rocks, but people back then also thought that Charles and Diana have no problems whatsoever in their marriage, and don't forget that Peter and Autumn's separation came as a shock a couple of years ago. What I'm trying to say is people can put up a front and PDA can be deceiving.

At present, they are leading a very isolated life, as we all are, to an extent. They are n ot seen at public appearances, where rumours might start to fly about tensions.... and they don't seem to have a lot of staff such as Charles and Di had, who might gossip about their life in private...
At present, it is a love match and they are probably still "clinging to each other" because they ARE in a very isolated position, having moved away from all their normal family/work/support.. but it may happen that in time as life normalizes that both of them will miss the things they've left behind...
There were rumours flying round from early on about tension in Charles and Di's marriage but for other royal couples like the Snowdons or Phillipses, they lead quieter lives and their personal problems didnt get into the press and it came as a surprise when it came out that they were getting divorced.

"The Voluntary Expats Formerly Known As TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Who No Longer Work There Anymore".

The longer form isn't quite so glittery.

Someone did suggest that maybe they could just adopt a symbol, as someone else once known as Prince did :lol:!

Not in Hollywood, literally, nobody cares if they have titles or HRH, it's what the Sussexes can bring to the table.

I am not so sure. You can't talk about all of Hollywood. I remember how easy it was for "His Highness Prince Frederick of Anhalt" to gain entrance into high up Hollywood circles and how he then married Zsa Zsa Gabor, making her the "Princess of Anhalt". That Frederick was not (!) a king's son but just a German of unsavoury reputation who had payed a penniless princess for adoption. He appears to have a nice character, though. Or at least nice manners. And he made his fortune in Hollywood!

In regards to the rumours of Catherine St-Laurent's resignation, here is a Telegraph article on this subject that is not a tabloid. Unfortunately, this article is behind a paywall.

Is all well within Archewell? Questions raised as Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s chief of staff steps down
High turnover continues among Harry and Meghan's employees as high-profile Catherine St-Laurent becomes latest to leave full-time role
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...xs-chief-staff-has-stepped-according-reports/

The Independent (not behind a paywall) has also picked up this news with more revelation on Harry & Meghan's staff.

Head of Harry and Meghan's Archewell Foundation Leaves Role After One Year
Catherine St-Laurent changes job to become senior adviser at Archewell
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...arry-meghan-catherine-stlaurent-b1820813.html

I read the Independant article and saw that Ms St. Laurent did not "leave" Archewell but will be working for it with her own new company, which is a normal way if you want to share in gains rather than be payed for your employment, only. Friends of mine became filthily rich (big yacht-level!) when they did the same at the beginning of SAP's way into business. So it's nothing to sneeze on!

If they had just said that at the interview then there would have been no problem, but that's not what she said originally, even if they do feel those were the more meaningful vows. I'm sure it was lovely.

There was no need to mention the ABCs involvement at all since he wouldn't even be needed for personally written vows in the back garden.

Saying they called him up to come and marry them was the part that caused the fuss and potential CofE fallout over it.

And it also proves that she twists things for dramatic effect.

Last edited:
It’s absolutely true we can’t know if the marriage is in trouble or rocky or not. They could be the most loving couple behind closed doors.

What’s true is that the short courtship, all the reported drama and upsets of the early married life either caused by them or caused by others, having a baby, up and moving thousands of miles away from his family and most friends with it seems no clear direction and trying to be philanthropists? Media influencers? Plus putting all the assorted baggage/issues/quirks they have separately together into a marriage is never easy even for a regular couple as is. None of that can be disregarded as irrelevant.

Also. As has be noted Harry does not have much of voice anymore. She talks, takes action and makes decisions and he seemingly goes with everything to a huge detriment. That’s definitely not healthy

I think that's what most people assumed, that they had a private exchange of vows. Very nice - I hope it was a very special and romantic moment for the two of them. But that's not what she said. I don't imagine for a minute that she intended for it to cause a huge fuss with people questioning whether or not the Archbishop of Canterbury had acted illegally or unethically, but she should have stopped to consider that it might. Twisting things to make them sound more exciting or romantic or dramatic or whatever is all right when you're in the primary school playground, but not when you're doing an interview being watched by millions of people around the world.

And, once it became clear that the remark had caused problems, why not issue a statement clarifying what had happened, instead of just ignoring it?

It’s absolutely true we can’t know if the marriage is in trouble or rocky or not. They could be the most loving couple behind closed doors.

Also. As has be noted Harry does not have much of voice anymore. She talks, takes action and makes decisions and he seemingly goes with everything to a huge detriment. That’s definitely not healthy
I think there's some truth in that, that Harry isnt talking much now.. its all Meghan.. and maybe fro the moment, he is going along with it. Having siad that, I think that the things he HAS said.. "Like my dad and brother are trapped, my Dad wouldnt give me money or take my calls," etc etc show a very different Harry to the seemingly good hearted nice young man that he once appeared as. He sounds bitter, confused, angry at how the RF work but surely he knew all that already.. how they work.. and that there's no point being angry with the rules of the system.. yet he IS angry. To be honest, it makes me feel more and more, that my uneasy feeling about Harry, that he wasn't the simple jolly guy that he seemed to me, were true and that he's even more angry and mixed up than one might imagine. I think he's carrying a lot of suppressed anger

Seems to me he has been angry and mixed up since his mother died as He never got the appropriate therapy at the time or apparently ever. Mix that in with a boy who was probably a little spoiled to begin with, over indulged by a well meaning family in his teen years and imo honestly not exactly a strong character to begin with and you have a recipe for disaster. All this mess is not helping him to say the least.

The happy roguish down to earth soldier was mostly a media invention.

If they had just said that at the interview then there would have been no problem, but that's not what she said originally, even if they do feel those were the more meaningful ones.

There was no need to mention the ABCs involvement at all since he wouldn't even be needed for personally written vows in the back garden.

Was it an official statement from H&M and did they issue an apology to the Archbishop?

I think that's what most people assumed, that they had a private exchange of vows. Very nice - I hope it was a very special and romantic moment for the two of them. But that's not what she said. I don't imagine for a minute that she intended for it to cause a huge fuss with people questioning whether or not the Archbishop of Canterbury had acted illegally or unethically, but she should have stopped to consider that it might. Twisting things to make them sound more exciting or romantic or dramatic or whatever is all right when you're in the primary school playground, but not when you're doing an interview being watched by millions of people around the world.

And, once it became clear that the remark had caused problems, why not issue a statement clarifying what had happened, instead of just ignoring it?

Coudl be me but I dont see the point of it anyway.. they were getting married in a relgious ceremony in a few days, and I presume that meant SOMETHING to them. It was their legal marriage. If they really really wanted to recite a few private vows.. why did they drag a clergyman into it at all? And why say "we got married"? That has a specific meaning, that they had a legal and binding wedding...
There was no need to mention it at all.. it was a private molment between them and had nothing to do with their various issues and their complaints about the RF .. so why ramble on about it at all.. and then spend a week letting the unfortunate clergyman get criticsed and questioned.. before clarifying...??

Seems to me he has been angry and mixed up since his mother died as He never got the appropriate therapy at the time or apparently ever. Mix that in with a boy who was probably a little spoiled to begin with, over indulged by a well meaning family in his teen years and imo honestly not exactly a strong character to begin with and you have a recipe for disaster. All this mess is not helping him to say the least.

The happy roguish down to earth soldier was mostly a media invention.
but he DID get therapy according to himself... He admitted that he was angry years ago and saw a therapist.. and Im sure he could have had assistance going back years if he had wanted it.
but it sounds to me like if the therapy has done anything, it has fixed him in his anger and he's now kicking up about all sorts of things...
I think he collaborated with the jolly soldier image himself... claming that he was happy in the army.,, but he wouldn't stay in it in a desk job...

Was it an official statement from H&M and did they issue an apology to the Archbishop?

No a spokesman just clarified that they exchanged personalise vows in the garden and it wasn't a marriage with no other comment or apology. Which I didn't expect since they aren't ones to issue apologies.

The Daily Beast article goes on to say supporters are claiming this fact checking the "unimportant" bits of the interview is a tactic to undermine what they said, when really fact checking big and small claims is important to determine the quality and integrity of the interview as a whole.

A vicar is quoted as saying it was important to clarify because he's been swamped with people begging him to perform back garden marriages since lockdown and he's had to refuse them.

Then I suspect he either did not fully cooperate in his therapy for whatever reason or it just was not the the correct type for his mental health as lTherapy must be catered to an individual and their particular issues. It’s not one size fits all

Then I suspect he either did not fully cooperate in his therapy for whatever reason or it just was not the the correct type for his mental health as lTherapy must be catered to an individual and their particular issues. It’s not one size fits all

Or it just didn't do him any good. he seems more overtly angry now, with his family and the royal system.. but it IS a system. IT has rules and while there can be changes and adaptations, it will only change slowly. He knew surely that the money his father gave him was to facilitate his royal duties and that he got taxpayers money for his security needs because he was a working prince.. and that many of his family DONT get free security from the taxpayer. yet he seems to think that he should have all this.. and that his dad is just being an old meanie in depriving him.
He was lucky in that he wanted to get out of the RF and working for the Firm.. and while his relatives weren't HAPPY with it, they did their best to agree to it and facilitate it in order to make him happy instead of just saying "Its your duty son, just get on with it." And yet he is STILL not happy. he wants to leave the work and still get paid.. still have the security and the titles...

Sorry call me cynical - I just think that Meghan (or someone else) has pointed things out to him that are injustices in their eyes and maybe they are or were - but were not taken as seriously by him or were previously dealt with but are now brought forward again. They are now blown out of proportion as they are all seen together and are taken out of time and perspective. They inflated issues, rather then see them in perspective and rationally.

Someone did suggest that maybe they could just adopt a symbol, as someone else once known as Prince did :lol:!

I've noticed quite a few jokes about this couple, and they are escalating.:lol:
I don't think they gave that interview with the intent of becoming a punchline, but there it is!

As in Possibly “The new baby is adorable! He does not resemble any one in our family yet” becomes “Wow look at this kid! Look how dark he is! “

“No Your Royal Highness a Spa in Switzerland is not possible at this time but we can recommend some experienced therapists” becomes “ No. You don’t need any therapy. Good day Your Royal Highness”

As in Possibly “The new baby is adorable! He does not resemble any one in our family yet” becomes “Wow look at this kid! Look how dark he is! “

“No Your Royal Highness a Spa in Switzerland is not possible at this time but we can recommend some experienced therapists” becomes “ No. You don’t need any therapy. Good day Your Royal Highness”

I think this is actually probably very, very close to the truth. Given the way we’ve seen them twist things around it makes complete sense that this is much closer to reality than those lines they tried to shove down everyone’s throats during that train wreck with Oprah.

Harry and Meghan finally admitting that there was no wedding is good for the AoC's reputation. It doesn't do a thing in my eyes to look better for looking down the humble taxpayer who paid for the so called spectacle. They insulted the people who came to share in their joy, not because they wanted to have a private moment but because of Meghan, a princess of all of three years, looking down her nose at the people and claining that she didn't need all these millions of bucks, she would have been happier without them, You know what Meghan? The people who paid for this would have been happier without paying as well. But out of these two sides,there was only one lying through its teeth when in the engagement interview she claimed she wanted to work, she wanted to hit the ground running. Sounds romantic and inspirational. A little over the top for someone who a few years later admitted she had had the idea to leave well before the wedding. There was only one side who was basically a nonentity to Hollywood and gained visibility only through her big fancy wedding.

As to Catherine, we'll see. I think they parted with Melissa with all expressions of friendlieness and appreciation for her work, only to sneer and claim she didn't do well later, safe in their knowledge that the NDA and basic good business manners would stop her from retaliating.

I'd wait for a year before I claim both the couple and Catherine parted ways all in sunshine, kisses and friendliness.

This said, we don't know anything about the state of their marriage. I was just impressed in a non-flattering way about Meghan's demonstrative establishing of her domination over Harry at public events but that's because it was offensive to the work and unprofessional. Behind the walls of their mansion, their marriage is their business alone. I hope they keep it this way. The BRF might help if they keep being unproductive, not giving them fodder to spread publicly through their mouthpieces. But given Scobie's recent activity, my hopes are not all that high. They won't leave the RF alone because their connection to it is the most interesting thing they can offer to the public right now and they need the interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom