The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never placed much trust in the South Africa story. It's one thing living quietly in the UK and raising your family and quite another - living in a foreign state. What official part would have Harry have - General Governor? I can imagine just how well *this* would have been received. And the security costs would have hit the roof. I remember there was some security noise during their South Africa trip. I can't recall the details but anyway, there would have been much money involved in arranging their security, much more than in the UK.

But this is a secondary matter. I just can't imagine a British prince and his wife basically using South Africa as a learning ground. Colonial past, using other nations' resources, anyone? IMO, it never would have washed.

South Africa's not a realm so there's no post of GG for Harry to take. And if there was it wouldn't be available for him anyway. It would be for a South African person.

I doubted it when it first came out that it was viable (this was even before the tour was announced) but there seems to have been a legitimate discussion about it, with a couple of sources talking about it almost happening then not at the last minute - after the tour they decided it wasn't possible. And it is one the the places they themselves mentioned in the Interview for whatever that is worth. Jacinda Arden seems to have known there were a couple of informal feelers out for NZ although she said nothing was ever discussed with her.

I assume they'd have lived there as "private citizens" like Harry did his gap year and they'd do mostly off camera charity and conservation work. There might certainly be problems with that both with image and cost (especially if they kept flying in and out) and maybe its one of the reasons it didn't happen but I don't think it was entirely impossible. Harry wouldn't have been the only rich, white even titled European to live and work there and he even has maternal cousins in Cape Town but that lifestyle doesn't seem to have been what they had in mind at all.

Shame if they are so popular in Canada, that they didn't realise this a year ago. Still, noone in Can wanted to pay their security...

They’re not. They’re only “popular” as long as we, Canadians, do not have to pay for them.

South Africa's not a realm so there's no post of GG for Harry to take. And if there was it wouldn't be available for him anyway. It would be for a South African person.

Ias "private citizens" like Harry did his gap year and they'd do mostly off camera charity and conservation work. There might certainly be problems with that both with image and cost (especially if they kept flying in and out) and maybe its one of the reasons it didn't happen but I don't think it was entirely impossible. Harry wouldn't have been the only rich, white even titled European to live and work there and he even has maternal cousins in Cape Town but that lifestyle doesn't seem to have been what they had in mind at all.

if he WERE a private citizen it would be fine.. but he's not. he's a prince, a working prince and I think except as a short term thing, it just wasn't doable for him to take off for SA or New Zealand...

For a long while they got the best jobs and all the perks. One look in the Sussexes' calendar will tell you that there's a lot of galas and receptions and awards there - and not a lot of the low-key engagements, where they would just meet someone and talk with people.

It's been also rumored that all the tours were to the destinations of Sussexes' liking - basically, they went where they wanted to go.

They wanted to be "ambassadors" for the Commonwealth, so they got support and suitable positions. There's a severe lack of the "boring" jobs (I do not consider them boring at all), like opening hospitals or supporting local businesses.

But I guess that was not enough for them...

I completely agree, they were given plum jobs, important patronages with their personal interests involved and a promise that they were the "Commonwealth Couple". Although to listen to some of the coverage about why they had to leave you would think they were only ever sent to open a new school toilet in Dunstable or Grimsby. ;)

High profile jobs aren't compatible with being able to come and go as they please and definitely not compatible with the press only printing glowing stories about them and the exact narrative they want for everything.

And there's no way they could get paid by Netflix for a royal tour documentary.

In some ways I do feel sorry for them, there was a lot happening in an extremely short amount of time, anyone would be overwhelmed but nothing about it has been handled well.

I know. I was jokingly trying to convey just how impossible the suggested position of a working prince in any capacity would be. They wouldn't have been relocating to live there permanently, they would have still been senior working British royals and I can't imagine this being compatible with living anywhere but the UK. Even a Commonwealth country would not do. They aren't and never were Prince and Princess of the Commonwealth. To be honest, I was rather surprised by her veil. The Commonwealth nod would be fitting for the spouse of a future head of the Commonwealth, not the sixth in line. Theu are British royals and their high position and visibility couldn't be maintained without glorious jobs... which doesn't mesh with quiet life somewhere in the Commonwealth...Royal tours there would be fine but *living* there... in the style and visibility they desired... not doable, IMO.

I completely agree, they were given plum jobs, important patronages with their personal interests involved and a promise that they were the "Commonwealth Couple". Although to listen to some of the coverage about why they had to leave you would think they were only ever sent to open a new school toilet in Dunstable or Grimsby. ;)

High profile jobs aren't compatible with being able to come and go as they please and definitely not compatible with the press only printing glowing stories about them and the exact narrative they want for everything.

In some ways I do feel sorry for them, there was a lot happening in an extremely short amount of time, anyone would be overwhelmed but nothing about it has been handled well.

well considering that their idea of "earning money" or "making a professional income" seems to be pestering Charles for money, and only taking on some kind of "job deal" when he had refused, I would not feel sorry for them.

I know. I was jokingly trying to convey just how impossible the suggested position of a working prince in any capacity would be. They wouldn't have been relocating to live there permanently, they would have still been senior working British royals and I can't imagine this being compatible with living anywhere but the UK. Even a Commonwealth country would not do. T.
I'm sure that this was only meant to be a sabbatical to give them a break, if they were claiming to be very unhappy with the job. They may well have said "Oh we didn't realize it was all so stressful, we don't want to do it.. we need time off" and I'm sure they'd start quoting how Will and Kate had a few years of family time at first.. So the queen considered that if they got a year in SA leading a quiet life, that would give them the needed break and they'd be able to face royal life after it...but Im sure that issues of where would they live and secuirty were enough to derail the idea....

For a long while they got the best jobs and all the perks. One look in the Sussexes' calendar will tell you that there's a lot of galas and receptions and awards there - and not a lot of the low-key engagements, where they would just meet someone and talk with people.

It's been also rumored that all the tours were to the destinations of Sussexes' liking - basically, they went where they wanted to go.

They wanted to be "ambassadors" for the Commonwealth, so they got support and suitable positions. There's a severe lack of the "boring" jobs (I do not consider them boring at all), like opening hospitals or supporting local businesses.

But I guess that was not enough for them...

They did do several engagements that involved youth, in Britain, and Harry continued with his charities as well. I remember him helping to serve meals on one engagement. That was hardly glamorous. Neither was WellChild.

And Meghan became involved with the community kitchens project, which brought dark forebodings from the Fail about ‘radical mosques and links to terrorism’ in their usual OTT fashion. That brought her quite a bit of unwarranted criticism actually, in spite of the book being a great success.

The Queen appointed Harry Youth Ambassador for the Commonwealth, he didn’t assume that position for himself. And KP/BP and the Foreign Office and Commonwealth Secretariat in London also plays a large part in where royals are sent on tour. The people concerned don’t just state ‘We wanna’ go there!’ and therefore they’re sent.

Australia, NZ and Oceania were due for a tour so that was decided as a destination. And it was a great success.

I'm sure that this was only meant to be a sabbatical to give them a break, if they were claiming to be very unhappy with the job. They may well have said "Oh we didn't realize it was all so stressful, we don't want to do it.. we need time off" and I'm sure they'd start quoting how Will and Kate had a few years of family time at first.. So the queen considered that if they got a year in SA leading a quiet life, that would give them the needed break and they'd be able to face royal life after it...but Im sure that issues of where would they live and secuirty were enough to derail the idea....
...Which would have washed just wonderfully with Harry. He seems to think that his living expenses and security are something that is guaranteed and doesn't change, no matter the circumstances. I can imagine how he took it.

...Which would have washed just wonderfully with Harry. He seems to think that his living expenses and security are something that is guaranteed and doesn't change, no matter the circumstances. I can imagine how he took it.

maybe Harry did like hte idea of a quiet year or so, though I dont know if he'd like the reality.. but Im sure Meghan did not really want to be stuck in Africa.. so if the security issue was costly, they could back down and say that they would have liked it but of course they could not do so if they didn't have full security..

Yes, for the year and a half as working royals it was all royal glamour and important events and passion projects, none of the run of the mill opening hospitals or visiting local businesses. The only thing missing from their calendar are some of the bigger events, like the Diplomatic Reception or state visits.

But of course, I agree, no matter what kind of job they were doing for the BRF, their strategy of being half-in, half-our would not work. If the "half-out" part would be some nice english countryside, then sure, I can see it working for a few years (kind of like what William and Catherine did), but they would never be allowed to make money out of their charitable organization or docummentaries on Netflix.

While I do agree that it was too much in too short period of time (no matter what people say, getting married after not even two years of knowing each other is fast, in normal people standards and especially in royal standards), meeting, engagement, marriage, high-profile jobs, child, all in less than 3 years. But I don't feel sorry. They brought all of this on themselves by themselves - they could've taken more time, they could've taken things more slowly and get accustomed to everything.

well considering that their idea of "earning money" or "making a professional income" seems to be pestering Charles for money, and only taking on some kind of "job deal" when he had refused, I would not feel sorry for them.

Actually I don’t think that was the original idea. I’ve said this in here before, but COVID basically hurt them beyond measure. They wanted to build their “brand” and start making lots of money and they knew they had to do it while they were still hot commodities. That’s the reasoning behind the initial half in, half out idea. They know celebrity is fickle and doing part time Royal duties (glamorous ones only) would ensure they remained in the spotlight indefinitely.

COVID changed all. The pandemic has forced people to see celebrities worldwide in a different, a much less favorable, light. People have moved on from H&M as well and that has significantly impacted the opportunities available to them. Meanwhile, there’s massive bills to pay and very little money coming in. They’re bitter and panicking and that, along with some hope that they could get positive PR to get some new doors to open, resulted in the interview. Unfortunately for them, as we heard from Gayle King, that’s hasn’t opened up the BRF’s deep pockets. It remains to be seen if they’re able to use their victim narrative to make some desperately needed money from other sources.

I think the important thing re the move to South Africa or similar ideas was not the details so much as the fact the RF seemed happy to look into them and consider them - a sign of how much they wanted H&M to be happy. There seems wide consensus that these things were talked about. A large issue with a lot of what H&M wanted or saw as going wrong was the speed at which they seemed to want to move and change things. Changing the way things are done is not bad thing - but the RF and their staff do move slowly and carefully in these things (with good reason many would say) which I think seemed to frustrate H&M and make them think it wasn't being taken seriously.

Harry’s schedule for 2018 (Gerts Royals) After May some attended with Meghan.

Gert's Royals: Prince Harry - Official Engagements (2018)

There’s not a huge number of award ceremonies and glamour events at all when you cast your eye down from Jan to Dec 2018 (unless playing polo for his charities, sometimes with his brother, are accounted glamorous.) There are quite a few receiving of dignitaries/officials which all royals do, as well as a long tour with his wife.

2020 opens with a shopping centre visit, and unveiling a plaque, then a visit to YouthZone. Glamorous?

https://gertsroyals.blogspot.com/2018/12/prince-harry-official-engagements-2019.html

Last edited:
Actually I don’t think that was the original idea. I’ve said this in here before, but COVID basically hurt them beyond measure. They wanted to build their “brand” and start making lots of money and they knew they had to do it while they were still hot commodities. That’s the reasoning behind the initial half in, half out idea. They know celebrity is fickle and doing part time Royal duties (glamorous ones only) would ensure they remained in the spotlight indefinitely.

COVID changed all. The pandemic has forced people to see celebrities worldwide in a different, a much less favorable, light. People have moved on from H&M as well and that has significantly impacted the opportunities available to them. Meanwhile, there’s massive bills to pay and very little money coming in. They’re bitter and panicking and that, along with some hope that they could get positive PR to get some new doors to open, resulted in the interview. Unfortunately for them, as we heard from Gayle King, that’s hasn’t opened up the BRF’s deep pockets. It remains to be seen if they’re able to use their victim narrative to make some desperately needed money from other sources.

Nobody forced them to buy 16 bathrooms .

Whether the Sussexes have two bathrooms or six or sixty it’s not costing any members of the general public anything, either in the UK or North America so why is it anybody’s business but theirs?

In general the pandemic showed the Sussexes in not favorable light at all, especially when compared to BRF. They hopped from one mansion to another, cashed in on favors from celebrities they barely know, bought a $14M mansion with 16 bathrooms for themselves in a sunny California, and gave a "woe is me" interview to Oprah, in which their aired their family dirty laundry.

While members of the BRF volunteered, talked to different people, carried on their duty to serve the country and the crown, tried to cheer people up, HMQ changed her traditional birthday celebration... The one thing somebody said - I don't remember where it was or who said it - the BRF are talking with people while the Sussexes are talking to people. We can pretty easily see who came up on top in that comparison.
ETA: Before someone corrects me, yes, I know the Sussexes occasionally volunteered here or there. But while the BRF made this period about the people, Sussexes made it about themselves. This is the crucial difference here.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 -

Whether the Sussexes have two bathrooms or six or sixty it’s not costing any members of the general public anything, either in the UK or North America so why is it anybody’s business but theirs?

I don’t care. If you can afford it- go for it. Their money, their business.

But I don’t want to hear them complaining about the Bank of Dad closing either.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone would care if they hadn't given a two hour interview about how they are victims.

It would be nobody's business had they not been complaining that the family cut them off financially after they walked off their job. I am sure Charles gave them a severance payment, as any employer would do.

They wanted the titles, best jobs and perks, also wanted the "privacy" to so what they wanted or to come and go AND wanted a global platform for progressive causes. None of that seems very compatible with each other.

At the point where we are now it saddens me to think that we don't know if the ruptures Meghan brought to live behind palace doors didn't influence the willingness of the papers to be so angry and hateful towards her.

I think she didn't understand that the monarchy and the firm are publicily controlled institutions. EG renovations of palaces: the public pays for most of the work and the state appartments and grand rooms are kept in perfect order. But they don't pay for the private luxuries and so the Royals have to look at the cost of living in a palace. And that means they need to be patient with everything that happens.I actually was astonished that Frogmore Cottage came up and was accepted so early on in their marriage. I can pretty much hear Meghan's successful American friends talking about living in NottCott!

Meghan wanted to live in a palace, have enough money for dresses etc., didn't understand that she can't take the things offered to her for free - and I can understand that from an American POV. Harry knew that, but IMHO he is besotted with her and didn't want to loose her once she realised it is a different life than she expected. He may have hoped she could stick it out till the times got better, but in the end couldn't imagine his family cutting him off, so he followed her to California. I doubt that is the life he always wanted. And Meghan for sure sees Oprah and Gayle King and their life and wants that. Should have married that Bezos-guy instead!

In a move that surprises actually no one, The Sun obtained Harry and Meghan's wedding certificate, which clearly states that they were married on 19th of May in St. George's Chapel in Windsor.

My personal favourite: "The official who drew up the licence for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s wedding says Meghan is “obviously confused” over the marriage."

And I agree with the ending of the article. Unfortunately - and I have all the sympathy in the world for him now - Archbishop should comment on this and explain the situation. I even will go a step further, if he doesn't do that, then he should resign from his position.

In a move that surprises actually no one, The Sun obtained Harry and Meghan's wedding certificate, which clearly states that they were married on 19th of May in St. George's Chapel in Windsor.

My personal favourite: "The official who drew up the licence for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s wedding says Meghan is “obviously confused” over the marriage."

And I agree with the ending of the article. Unfortunately - and I have all the sympathy in the world for him now - Archbishop should comment on this and explain the situation. I even will go a step further, if he doesn't do that, then he should resign from his position.

I think if the Archbishop comments, then the rest of the family has to comment on the title, security, finances, etc. Non-ending story. Next month, Harry and Meghan would come up with other lies, then the family has to comment again?

Last edited:
It's not very fair to drag the Archbishop in over something two patently unreliable people said, is it? If he comments on this, then he has to comment on other private, pastoral matters. Why isn't anybody pinning down Harry and Meghan about this, or any of the other inconsistent things they said?

The flipside of this is, while I don't approve or condone of what the two of them have been or are currently doing, we don't know what's in their heads. We don't know what they really want, despite their chat with Oprah, because they weren't dumb enough to say "we want free stuff, wherever we get it". So while they're currently living in a lavish home talking about "basics", we don't know that Meghan wanted a palace and an endless wardrobe from the beginning (almost her entire look as a working royal was pretty subdued).

We just don't know, because frankly, they're too confusing.

It's not very fair to drag the Archbishop in over something two patently unreliable people said, is it? If he comments on this, then he has to comment on other private, pastoral matters. Why isn't anybody pinning down Harry and Meghan about this, or any of the other inconsistent things they said?

The flipside of this is, while I don't approve or condone of what the two of them have been or are currently doing, we don't know what's in their heads. We don't know what they really want, despite their chat with Oprah, because they weren't dumb enough to say "we want free stuff, wherever we get it". So while they're currently living in a lavish home talking about "basics", we don't know that Meghan wanted a palace and an endless wardrobe from the beginning (almost her entire look as a working royal was pretty subdued).

We just don't know, because frankly, they're too confusing.

What do you mean that her look was subdued, I thought she spent half a million pounds a year on her clothes?

I think if the Archbishop comments, then the rest of the family has to comment on the title, security, finances, etc. Non-ending story. Next month, Harry and Meghan would come up with other lies, then the family has to comment again?
The difference I see here that with BRF, half of that is private security matters, the title issue is pretty damn simple - Archie was never meant to be a prince and should not be a prince under current rules - Charles can do with his private money whatever he wants, and the security falls under Met Police and Scotland Yard, not royal family.

Archbishop of Canterbury though is the principal leader of the Church of England, so basically the second most important person - after the Queen. If he ignored the CoE rules for Harry and Meghan by performing a fake wedding ceremony on May 19th or misled them by claiming their whatever-it-was in the garden as a valid wedding ceremony, he should not be a head of the Church of England, I don't care if they are royal or not, there is only one set of rules for everyone.

Many of my friends or family members were made to choose if they want to marry this year and not have all of the people they wanted present or postpone the wedding until lord-knows-when. And now Meghan can claim that she and Harry had two wedding ceremonies. It's something that should absolutely be addressed, because it puts the Church of England and Archbishop of Canterbury in a terrible light.
It's not very fair to drag the Archbishop in over something two patently unreliable people said, is it? If he comments on this, then he has to comment on other private, pastoral matters. Why isn't anybody pinning down Harry and Meghan about this, or any of the other inconsistent things they said?.
We have 70-something pages pinning all of the inconsistent claims of Meghan and Harry on themselves. And they - well, Meghan - dragged him there already. If the Sussexes had an ounce of the compassion they claim is so important, they would never, ever, put a good man (as I believe Justin Welby is) in that position or would clarify the information as soon as possible.

We have 70-something pages pinning all of the inconsistent claims of Meghan and Harry on themselves. And they - well, Meghan - dragged him there already. If the Sussexes had an ounce of the compassion they claim is so important, they would never, ever, put a good man (as I believe Justin Welby is) in that position or would clarify the information as soon as possible.

Sure, we have, but what difference does that make? I meant if the Archbishop is going to have to speak publicly about this to clarify, why not Meghan and Harry as well? Or just Meghan and Harry. Why don't they show their "vows" or "certificate" or whatever? Make something clearer for a change, instead of more confusing.

Sure, we have, but what difference does that make? I meant if the Archbishop is going to have to speak publicly about this to clarify, why not Meghan and Harry as well? Or just Meghan and Harry. Why don't they show their "vows" or "certificate" or whatever? Make something clearer for a change, instead of more confusing.
Oh, I fully agree, they definitely should. But we also know that they won't.

Meghan wanted to live in a palace, have enough money for dresses etc., didn't understand that she can't take the things offered to her for free - and I can understand that from an American POV. Harry knew that, but IMHO he is besotted with her and didn't want to loose her once she realised it is a different life than she expected.

Actually, I don't understand why it was such a difficult concept for her to grasp. Plenty of American businesses have limitations on what their employees can accept as free gifts for just doing their job, ie kickbacks. I work in home lending (have worked for several major banking corporations) and we have strict limits on how much we can accept or give as gifts for doing our part in facilitating a loan through the process. I am quite sure that many other industries have similar limits on kickbacks. Granted, Meghan was not in one of those industries, but surely she knows plenty of people from before she met Harry who have jobs in industries or government where kickbacks aren't allowed. I don't really have any sympathy for her being upset that she can't accept free clothing and accessories, trips, etc, just because she is a working royal.

Oh, I fully agree, they definitely should. But we also know that they won't.

You'd also wonder if the person/people who instructed, baptized, and received Meghan into the CofE (assuming that wasn't also Welby) aren't going to come in for a bit of side-eyeing somewhere considering how hard and publicly the woman failed the church laws of marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom