The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They made a donation that helped practically, while at the same time promoted the cause, well done. double hit.

To me it doesn't matter if it was the ceiling board, the entire roof or just the nails that were needed to do the repairs. The gist is that the Sussexes stepped in where help was badly needed. That's what counts. "Giving back" doesn't have a rank and file where you're a bronze, silver or gold "giver backer" but the only word that matters is "give". ?

Piry that (according to M&H) there was no photoshoot at the hospital offered.
I, for one, was applauding her decision *not* to go and have to stand there, all dolled up, just hours after giving birth.
I think it is an inhumane 'tradition'.

The BRF don’t have to bestir themselves to get reporters to their events. It’s all done for them. The Royal Rota is there to bring publicity to their causes and write accompanying often cloying articles about clothing etc. Part of the ‘you scratch our back we’ll scratch yours’ arrangement Harry spoke of in the interview clips.

If they weren’t there then the RF would be in exactly the same position as the Sussexes are in a new country and having to begin again. They want to donate to causes and make a difference through Archewell. How do you suggest they do that without any publicity? And at least some of what they have done singly and together was publicised on the charities and causes’ own Twitter Pages first as well.

Well they can't that's the point. So nobody is really that interested.

Philanthropists do stuff like ted talks of things so maybe they need to look at that.

They could just give donations privately, and ask for no publicity when they make a charity donation....

All Foundations, including BRF ones, need publicity. And that includes Archewell. Charities are exactly the same. Publicity is their lifeblood. Any donation by a person in the public eye brings in more donations. That’s the point of it.

I am always happy to read others thoughts am grateful for this. community ... I think though and this is only me of course, that I see you location is the USA it is hard to understand Monarchy, it's history and the rules around those members of the RF [look at the embarrassment for Princess Alexandra]They may not be evil, in it's true sense of the word in the Oxford Dictionary but they are completed out of line Harry has ruined his own chances of life with a family, your comments are your view these are mine

What was the embarrassment for Princess Alexandra?

All Foundations, including BRF ones, need publicity. And that includes Archewell. Charities are exactly the same. Publicity is their lifeblood. Any donation by a person in the public eye brings in more donations. That’s the point of it.

Yes. The CEO did an interview and she spoke of how after it was revealed that Harry and Meghan donated that a ton of donations flooded in from all over. They were interviewed by major papers and media shows. It was amazing for the shelter... which was the point.

I am always happy to read others thoughts am grateful for this. community ... I think though and this is only me of course, that I see you location is the USA it is hard to understand Monarchy, it's history and the rules around those members of the RF [look at the embarrassment for Princess Alexandra]They may not be evil, in it's true sense of the word in the Oxford Dictionary but they are completed out of line Harry has ruined his own chances of life with a family, your comments are your view these are mine

What was the embarrassment for Princess Alexandra?

There are quite a few Princess Alexandras. I take it that this one is P ALexandra.. lady Ogilvy....

Without going off topic, does bertie5252003 mean The Honourable Sir Angus Ogilvy (14 September 1928 – 26 December 2004), husband of Princess Alexandra, The Hon Lady Ogilvy, who was involved in a scandal with breaking sanctions against the regime in Rhodesia in the 1970s in the Lonrho affair? Angus Ogilvy himself was later heavily involved in charity

In the 1970s, he was involved in the so-called Lonrho Affair, in which the mining and finance conglomerate was accused of violating sanctions against the white-minority government of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe).

An official report concluded that he did not do enough to stop the firm’s leader, Roland Rowland, from violating the sanctions. The office of the director of public prosecutions later exonerated Ogilvy.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-dec-31-me-passings31-story.html

Or is it Marina Ogilvy, daughter of Princess Alexandra? She first caused a stir when she posed for Skin Two magazine ("catering to fetish subculture") wearing a crown with corgis surrounding her in late 1980s. In 1989, She then find out that she was pregnant (with Zenouska Mowatt inside her) whilst not married to the child's father, Paul Mowatt, at that time. She even gave an interview that her parents gave her an ultimatum: A shot gun wedding or an abortion. Marina Ogilvy and Paul Mowatt did end up getting married, but their marriage ended in divorce. In 2003, there was another scandal about her, this time involving money, where she was claiming income support and child benefit. She was also receiving housing benefits to cover the rent of her grace-and- favour home.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...r/news-story/3436b5a61ac00259eb1d541aa777611e
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1429744/Private-anguish-of-royal-rebel-without-a-cause.html
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/royal-rebel-marina-is-living-on-benefits-8gwc5bsxlsr

Zenouska Mowatt was born few months after Princess Eugenie and they attended the same school (pre-school or nursery rather) together. Zenouska Mowatt was at Princess Eugenie's wedding.

Last edited:
Well, the Canadians didn't love them enough to use taxpayer dollars to pay for their security. Trudeau said he'd pay for their security and the outcry was big.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you asked British citizens specifically if they actually want to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds annually for the security of any members of the royal family, bar perhaps the Queen, then you’d get the same response.

I thought the controversy was they were expected to have one? I am curious if this is something that is recommended...or not?
Traditionally yes, it's done by a lot of members of BRF. In the last 40 or so years Meghan was the only working royal who didn't do it, so people were expecting the Sussexes to sacrifice that 10 minutes to show off their new baby as they're leaving the hospital.

Harry had seen his sister-in-law do it three times, Meghan for sure saw Catherine and William with Louis. They knew the what and how, but decided not to. All of the information surrounding the birth were kept strictly private (as it was their right, of course) - including not informing the press about their chosen hospital until they were in Frogmore Cottage with Archie and Doria.

There was a number of confusing things that went on that day that dampened the celebratory mood in the UK - first they put up the statement that Meghan went into labor (even though she has already given birth... :whistling:) and then waited for quite a while, and announced with a second statement the birth of then baby Sussex, now Archie, born hours before the first announcement of labor. There was also an issue with the second statement confirming birth, as it has apparently been sent, but never reach a lot of news outlets.

So a few lies, misconceptions and organizational failures really dampened the celebration and general good will in people and press. If they didn't want to show the baby - that's fine, don't do it, but then don't claim you "weren't asked" to do that almost two years later. Especially when we have the statement from BP: "Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private. The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."

As quite often after that interview with Oprah one is left wondering, if there was a word of truth coming out of their mouths. Statement after statement they were digging their own hole, twisting facts on issues so easily proven untrue - like the wedding in their garden, Meghan being locked in the house, Catherine making Meghan cry, Meghan not having her passport, Archie not being HRH because of his skin colour, connection between having the title and having security and even the events surrounding Archie's birth. If they wanted to pose for the photos while leaving hospital, the media would be there, without a question and the Palace would not say no - it's too good of an occasion to miss.

I think Harry and Meghan had a few things to do on the day of Archie’s birth besides informing the Press of what was happening. The British public couldn’t have cared less about the time of labour or when the birth occurred. It was the Press who got their noses out of joint and made the fuss about it. As a matter of fact there was aYouGov survey done before the birth in which the British public agreed with Meghan and Harry that a hospital steps photo op wasn’t necessary.

Where was the Comms team at BP who worked for the Sussexes, while the labour was going on and then the birth? I know of no other senior royal who was/is expected to inform the media themselves all about their child’s birth.

And Harry did come out at Windsor and speak to the waiting Press afterwards. I put the BBC link to that up here. The couple then showed Archie off at Windsor Castle a couple of days later and spoke to a reporter about the baby and how they felt. There was also a photo released at that time of Archie in Meghan’s arms and the Queen, Prince Philip and Doria with the couple. So I’d say that the British public and media got more than enough from the Sussex family and its newest member.

Last edited:
The discussion about support for the monarchy has been moved. You can find it here.

I think Harry and Meghan had a few things to do on the day of Archie’s birth besides informing the Press of what was happening. The British public couldn’t have cared less about the time of labour or when the birth occurred. It was the Press who got their noses out of joint and made the fuss about it. As a matter of fact there was aYouGov survey done before the birth in which the British public agreed with Meghan and Harry that a hospital steps photo op wasn’t necessary.

Where was the Comms team at BP who worked for the Sussexes, while the labour was going on and then the birth? I know of no other senior royal who was/is expected to inform the media themselves all about their child’s birth.

And Harry did come out at Windsor and speak to the waiting Press afterwards. I put the link to that up here. The couple then showed Archie off at Windsor Castle a couple of days later and spoke to a reporter about the baby and how they felt. There was also a photo released at that time of Archie in Meghan’s arms with the Queen, Prince Philip and Doria with the couple. So I’d say that the British public and media got more than enough from the Sussex family and its newest member.

Then why is Meghan now mentioning that "no one asked them" for a picture, as if it were seemingly an issue?

Then why is Meghan now mentioning that "no one asked them" for a picture, as if it were seemingly an issue?

That is the million dollar question. Why? A lot of what came out in that interview just doesn't make sense or fit what we know really happened or how things really work. That's why I stated in a previous post "what they were smoking". It all just doesn't add up. It actually, in its own way, was as fictionalized as "The Crown". :D

It was an issue, with the British Press, notably the tabloids, who made a fuss.

This too. ?

And Harry did come out at Windsor and speak to the waiting Press afterwards. I put the BBC link to that up here. The couple then showed Archie off at Windsor Castle a couple of days later and spoke to a reporter about the baby and how they felt. There was also a photo released at that time of Archie in Meghan’s arms and the Queen, Prince Philip and Doria with the couple. So I’d say that the British public and media got more than enough from the Sussex family and its newest member.
You really made me laugh :lol: Of course no one expects Meghan and Harry to themselves write the statement and place the easel in front of BP, this is all done by the Palace officials. But they are (well, were) responsible for how the team operates and I doubt the statement was delayed without their knowledge and approval - the plan surrounding Archie's birth was agreed days if not weeks before the day.

And I did not say the British public and media didn't get anything from the Sussexes, so if you would be so kind and stopped twisting my words, that would be lovely, thank you, nor that posing in front of the hospital is neccessary. If they didn't want to do that I'm actually fine with it, their child, their bussiness. But the decisions/plans around Archie's birth, including an official statement from their team in BP simply disagree with Meghan's "but no one asked us to" from the Oprah interview. I don't have anything against how they planned the day, but lying about it almost two years later :flowers:

IMO the ‘no-one asked us to’ was a dig at the British Press especially the tabloids, not the Palace. By the time of Archie’s birth the attack dogs of the Press had been at Meghan with negative and hateful articles daily throughout her pregnancy, something which continued into her maternity leave.

Her attitude and Harry’s was probably by then to not do anything that the RRs or tabloids were expecting her to do around the birth of her child, and the comment in the interview was a result of that. I don’t think any of the staff did ask her to do the hospital steps thing because by then, towards the end of her pregnancy, the relationship between the Sussexes and the British media was toxic and Meghan thought ‘They can go to hell!’

As quite often after that interview with Oprah one is left wondering, if there was a word of truth coming out of their mouths. Statement after statement they were digging their own hole, twisting facts on issues so easily proven untrue - like the wedding in their garden, Meghan being locked in the house, Catherine making Meghan cry, Meghan not having her passport, Archie not being HRH because of his skin colour, connection between having the title and having security and even the events surrounding Archie's birth. If they wanted to pose for the photos while leaving hospital, the media would be there, without a question and the Palace would not say no - it's too good of an occasion to miss.

I would like to add this passage from the interview " just—I guess the highlight for me is sticking him on the back of a bicycle in his little baby seat and taking him on bike rides which is something I was never able to do when I was young''

Why lie about something that can be googled in 1 minute?

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&...b8CBHcQjJkEegQIARAB&biw=1215&bih=461&dpr=1.13

Last edited:
Any photos of Harry (or William for that matter) riding a bike on public roads away from royal estates or besides photo opportunities for their causes? Along London streets for example? That was what Harry was referring to, just getting on his bike in California with or without his son whenever he felt/feels like it. I never saw Diana or Charles riding bikes in London with their children in their leisure time.

Some of the young European royals in the Netherlands and in Belgium do ride bikes in their time off, as do their parents. You see some who ride to school sometimes along public roads.

Last edited:
Traditionally yes, it's done by a lot of members of BRF. In the last 40 or so years Meghan was the only working royal who didn't do it, so people were expecting the Sussexes to sacrifice that 10 minutes to show off their new baby as they're leaving the hospital.

Harry had seen his sister-in-law do it three times, Meghan for sure saw Catherine and William with Louis. They knew the what and how, but decided not to. All of the information surrounding the birth were kept strictly private (as it was their right, of course) - including not informing the press about their chosen hospital until they were in Frogmore Cottage with Archie and Doria.

There was a number of confusing things that went on that day that dampened the celebratory mood in the UK - first they put up the statement that Meghan went into labor (even though she has already given birth... :whistling:) and then waited for quite a while, and announced with a second statement the birth of then baby Sussex, now Archie, born hours before the first announcement of labor. There was also an issue with the second statement confirming birth, as it has apparently been sent, but never reach a lot of news outlets.

So a few lies, misconceptions and organizational failures really dampened the celebration and general good will in people and press. If they didn't want to show the baby - that's fine, don't do it, but then don't claim you "weren't asked" to do that almost two years later. Especially when we have the statement from BP: "Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private. The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."

Any photos of Harry (or William for that matter) riding a bike on public roads away from royal estates or besides photo opportunities for their causes? Along London streets for example? That was what Harry was referring to, just getting on his bike with or without his son whenever he felt/feels like it. I never saw Diana or Charles riding bikes in London with their children in their leisure time.

Some of the young European royals in the Netherlands and in Belgium do ride bikes in their time off, as do their parents. You see some who ride to school sometimes along public roads.

black and white photo https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...ng-bicycle-prince-charles-childhood-photos/1/

I did say ‘off royal estates’ and ‘on public roads’. I would guess, though I don’t know for sure, that the photos you’ve linked were taken at Highgrove on the estate there for a photo op featuring the young family, same for the Scilly Isles black and white shot, and the black and white one was obviously at Balmoral.

Posing on bikes for photo ops to be featured in newspapers and magazines of the time, when the POW and Diana were ostensibly on holiday together with their children (at the time they were extremely unhappily married) isn't the same as a happy family off for rides together along country or town roads as a regular part of their everyday lives, such as you see in some other royal families in Europe.

Last edited:
I did say ‘off royal estates’ and ‘on public roads’. I would guess, though I don’t know for sure, that the photos you’ve linked were taken at Highgrove on the estate there for a photo op featuring the young family, same for the Scilly Isles black and white shot, and the black and white one was obviously at Balmoral.

Why would they ride bikes with small children on public roads or highways, I don't actually think that Harry would do it in LA, public roads are not very safe. Harry probably rides around the estate or on the suburban roads. Harry did not show any photos with him and Archie riding a bike either :whistling:

Last edited:
Other royals have done it on roads where there are clearly other cyclists. Harry probably could not remember himself on a bike with dad when he was under four. And, quite clearly, or there would have been literally several dozen photos available to link here, bike riding with their children anywhere wasn’t something either Charles or Diana did on such a regular basis that it stayed firmly in Harry’s memory.

And Harry doesn’t live in L.A. Plus,he’d hardly be whipping out a photo of himself and Archie on a bike during an interview. When Archie gets bigger we’ll probably see them on bikes together.

Last edited:
Other royals have done it on roads where there are clearly other cyclists.

And Harry doesn’t live in L.A. Plus,he’d hardly be whipping out a photo of himself and Archie on a bike during an interview. When Archie gets bigger we’ll probably see them on bikes together.

Let's agree to disagree, I think he is playing the victim and complaining about his "horrible childhood". I really don't understand why, unless it's to paint Charles and Diana as bad parents, who never took him on a bike ride, note that Harry is painting Diana as a bad mother here as well.

Harry didn’t paint either of his parents as bad or his childhood as horrible. I think it was one remark in the context of being a child of divorced parents, apart from both at times, royal life on royal estates away from the life of ordinary people and to a large extent subject to inflexible schedules followed by most of his royal relatives and his father’s workload. Charles self-confessedly did not see very much of his sons for weeks at a time before and after his separation from Diana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom