The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I'm not certain which events and which PDA by Meghan you are referencing @Moran. Both Harry and Meghan noticeably hold each other's hands, touch, caress and rub each other in public (on the shoulder, knee, back, arm, ear, head, or hand). There is plenty of video evidence available. Everyone obviously can view these tactile displays of love and affection whichever way that strikes them. Harry has often spoken of how much his mother Diana would grab and hug him and his brother lovingly, and how much he misses her presence. It seems to me that Harry is overjoyed to have found a loving, beautiful, supportive and accomplished partner in Meghan. He has said as much in words and actions.

I don't see M&H's connection as one of mother and son. It is clearly a soul mate relationship that has changed both of their lives on an intimate and personal growth level for the better. If only the rest of the world would view them in a reasonable manner and stop hating and/or obsessing over who they are, over everything they do, and over what they have found in each other.

I don't personally feel that the Queen and Prince Charles are specifically 'racist.' They may hold some unconscious biases as a result of being insulated, indoctrinated and often the subjects of chatter and over-protection for all of their lives in the 'gilded cage' bubble.

Certainly, the institution of monarchy and the British culture has a documented history of racism and classicism. The experiences that M&H have revealed are sparking needed conversations in Britain and elsewhere. We all need to lead with understanding and compassion, rather than with antagonism.

I agree that Britain is a class-based country, but not a racist one.

It has been this way for centuries and I doubt that the system will change any time soon. My close friend(white) moved to London from the USA and she confirmed that unless you were born into aristocracy or the upper class in Britain the doors are closed to you

Last edited:
I agree that Britain is clas based country, but not a racist one.
It's being this way for centuries and I doubt that the system will change any time soon. My close friend(white) moved to London from the USA and she confirmed that unless you were born into aristocracy or the upper class in Britain the doors are closed to you

I've seen those who have personally experienced racism in Britain speaking out publicly about the subtleties of British racism, and the widespread denial that it exists.

I assume you mean "classism" - "classicism" would suggest an interest in Latin and Greek.

I don't really take your point about the institution of monarchy having a "documented history" of racism. Yes, for example, it's known that Edward VII behaved badly towards Abdul Karim, Queen Victoria's Indian attendant - although it's equally well-known that Queen Victoria was very close to him. But would it be appropriate for me to walk out into the street and accuse my neighbour of being a racist, on the grounds of something that his great-great-grandfather might have said or done 120 years ago?

Indeed, thanks. I do mean 'classism.' I will correct my misspelling.

Quite often the denials of being racist are more vociferous and rampant than any desire for self-examination and self-reflection. In other words, apparently being called out as 'racist,' is felt by some people to be more alarming than actually engaging in racist behavior and attitudes.

Last edited:
I assume you mean "classism" - "classicism" would suggest an interest in Latin and Greek.

I don't really take your point about the institution of monarchy having a "documented history" of racism. Yes, for example, it's known that Edward VII behaved badly towards Abdul Karim, Queen Victoria's Indian attendant - although it's equally well-known that Queen Victoria was very close to him. But would it be appropriate for me to walk out into the street and accuse my neighbour of being a racist, on the grounds of something that his great-great-grandfather might have said or done 120 years ago?

Edward VII and especially VIII's racism was markedly more serious than behaving badly towards one of Queen Victoria's Indian servants. Even though I am AA I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and lots of leeway before calling someone a racist because I do believe we are approaching 1950's McCarthy era levels of hysteria/suspicion at this point.

But... though it's pointless and unfair to measure all past racial attitudes and behaviors against the standards of the late 20th and early 21st century- because literally almost EVERYONE before then could be considered a bigoted racist-Edward VIII was in a league of his own. He was reportedly horrified and deeply offended when offered Communion from the hand of a Black priest at a church service in the Commonwealth.:sad:

But I am way off topic.

Last edited:
Moran-I believe that you've made some excellent points here in pointing out the Queen's "reluctance" when it came to granting residences (as well as the Family Order) to the newlyweds in the BRF post-Diana/Sarah years. She appears to be moving cautiously in these departments so Nottingham Cottage has definitely seen its share of bachelors and newlyweds enjoying it as a starter home.

Katherine did not get a family order until a few years ago

I think this is something that even their friends and supporters say. They are impetuous and what they want today isn't necessarily what they want tomorrow.

Diana was like that too to a certain extent. It's all very worrying really.

I am sure Harry hasn't taught about anything long term. I mean it's pretty dreadful

Well nobody expected COVID to hit. Total lockdown and activities grinding to a halt. Complicated plans. Big Time.

Katherine did not get a family order until a few years ago

Yes that is correct and even Camilla and Sophie did not receive theirs immediately upon marrying into the BRF. Sarah Ferguson never received one either.

I've seen those who have personally experienced racism in Britain speaking out publicly about the subtleties of British racism, and the widespread denial that it exists.

Indeed, thanks. I do mean 'classism.' I will correct my misspelling.

Quite often the denials of being racist are more vociferous and rampant than any desire for self-examination and self-reflection. In other words, apparently being called out as 'racist,' is felt by some people to be more alarming than actually engaging in racist behavior and attitudes.

Britain is not that different from other countries in terms of racism, but I believe the issue was that the Royal Family is racist and I don't believe that

I don't personally feel that the Queen and Prince Charles are specifically 'racist.' They may hold some unconscious biases as a result of being insulated, indoctrinated and often the subjects of chatter and over-protection for all of their lives in the 'gilded cage' bubble.

Certainly, the institution of monarchy and the British culture has a documented history of racism and classicism. The experiences that M&H have revealed are sparking needed conversations in Britain and elsewhere. We all need to lead with understanding and compassion, rather than with antagonism.

With me, some of the experiences that Harry and Meghan have related, verbatim, in the interview, were totally false and meant to insinuate racism. The claim of Archie being denied and prevented from being a Prince of the United Kingdom because of his possible skin tone is a biggie. It wasn't a smear by the press. It wasn't the big, bad monarchy proclaiming Archie as a lesser person because he is biracial. It was a point of view that showed clearly that Meghan was wrong on this point. For me, Meghan put her own foot in her mouth. It wasn't the press. It wasn't bias or history or anything other than Meghan proclaiming something that wasn't so.

As much as there is a history of classism and racism and not only in the United Kingdom, there is also the history of sexism that has prevailed world wide for centuries until women stood up and were called "suffragettes" in the early 20th century and later on, said "no" to the bra and burned them. When I think about those women, I realize that it was because of the fight for equal rights for women that the whole issue of the LPs making all the Cambridge children Prince/ss at birth actually was a winning point. The Act of Succession to the Crown (first established in 1701) was amended in 2013 to change male primogeniture to absolute primogeniture. A woman born first would be heir apparent rather than heir presumptive able to be replaced by a male. The LPs were pertinent to the Cambridges because their first born would be an heir to the throne. None of that was about Archie or any child of Harry's. The monarchy plain and simply dealt with an issue of sexism. ?

The bottom line for me is that Harry and Meghan have hit a very low point in their public lives with this interview. They opened mouth, inserted foot and brought a whole world of hurt down on their heads for the way that it made them look in the court of public opinion. No one held a gun to their head and forced them to do this. No one can blame anyone else for the repercussions from this interview on anyone else but Harry and Meghan. There was nothing positive that came out of it but rather, just here, its generated page after page after page of facts that disprove what was stated in front of millions of people worldwide.

It's not about racism, sexism, classism, or any other "ism" we want to drag up. It's about two people putting on a spectacle for the world with crocodile tears and OMG faces and a whole lot of mistruths that were laid out as *entertainment* for the US audience. If there was any kind of a hint of "kindness and compassion" towards others in this interview, I really must need my eyes examined as I missed it totally.

But that's just me and how I see it from where I'm sitting (without coffee... I need coffee!) :D

Well said, Osipi. The matter isn't if there is racism in the UK and even the RF. The matter is that Harry and Meghan claimed there was and didn't have anything to back up this claim with, rather than an easily disproven claim of Meghan's and a vague reference not against any individual but a crowd who is known to not fight back publicly because engagement is just going to incite more press barrage - something that the Sussexes insistently claim they aim to avoid. They couldn't even get their stories straight about the latter which immediately cast suspicions not only on its veracity but its actual meaning for the couple. I mean, if something has hurt both me and my SO this much, we would have talked it to death between us and at least know what exactly had taken place.

I found this article while checking news today:

'Canadians back Meghan Markle, want no role for Royal Family in Canada'

https://globalnews.ca/news/7704854/royal-family-canada-queen-meghan-markle-role/

'Two in three Canadians, or 66 per cent of respondents, said the Queen and the royals should not have any formal role in Canadian society, as they are “simply celebrities and nothing more.” That’s up two per cent over last year and six per cent since 2016, Ipsos says.

Roughly six in 10 people said the relationship between Canada and the monarchy should end when the Queen dies, although only about half of Canadians (53 per cent) supported the idea of a referendum on the monarchy, according to the poll. Nearly eight in 10 Canadians felt the Queen has done a good job in her role.'

With me, some of the experiences that Harry and Meghan have related, verbatim, in the interview, were totally false and meant to insinuate racism. The claim of Archie being denied and prevented from being a Prince of the United Kingdom because of his possible skin tone is a biggie. It wasn't a smear by the press. It wasn't the big, bad monarchy proclaiming Archie as a lesser person because he is biracial. It was a point of view that showed clearly that Meghan was wrong on this point. For me, Meghan put her own foot in her mouth. It wasn't the press. It wasn't bias or history or anything other than Meghan proclaiming something that wasn't so.

It's not about racism, sexism, classism, or any other "ism" we want to drag up. It's about two people putting on a spectacle for the world with crocodile tears and OMG faces and a whole lot of mistruths that were laid out as *entertainment* for the US audience. If there was any kind of a hint of "kindness and compassion" towards others in this interview, I really must need my eyes examined as I missed it totally.

But that's just me and how I see it from where I'm sitting (without coffee... I need coffee!) :D

I disagree with you that Meghan and Harry are at 'a low point,' or that they put on a selfish 'spectacle' devoid of kindness and compassion. A lot of hardball has been played against M&H, complete with constant gaslighting and nonstop vitriol in the U.K. media. It amounts to character assassination. M&H's decision to speak out and tell their truth, and speak truth to power is surely one they didn't take lightly. I don't condemn them for feeling fed up and for hoping that by speaking out boldly and forthrightly that some measures would at least be taken by the firm to as Harry said, "Call off the [royal rota] dogs."

Failing that outcome, at least M&H brought to light more fully what they personally experienced behind palace walls over the first two years of marriage, during a time which should have been the happiest of a young couple's lives. The difficult experiences they faced are now on record and documented. This is an opportunity for the institution of the monarchy to 'stop the bleeding' and the pain on both sides. Sadly, as Meghan said, "A lot has been lost already."

I don't have great hopes for such an insular, outdated institution in which dysfunctional attitudes and behaviors have now been more fully exposed. Simply because two young, charismatic people fell deeply in love, and have been popularly embraced with genuine goodwill by many people, it's not the best or smartest tactic by any entity or individuals to continually attempt to marginalize and demonize them. And this holds true for any projected or untold reason.

The royal firm does have some sway over the media, and they have used their leverage in the past to protect certain members of the family. But that's obviously a selective enterprise, confirmed by many royal reporters on social media and in documentaries about the royal family.

Last edited:
Britain is not that different from other countries in terms of racism, but I believe the issue was that the Royal Family is racist and I don't believe that

By virtue of someone bringing up the issue of possible skin color of Harry's future children, that could be termed many things, including bias, ignorance, stupidity, controlling behavior masquerading as faux, misplaced concern, etc. Institutional racism breeds casually biased, unexamined attitudes and beliefs, especially by those who have never personally been subjected to discrimination.

As Harry said, he was not familiar with the subtle and vicious underpinnings and overtones of what racism feels like and how it can often be directly and indirectly experienced in different situations, until he met Meghan and witnessed it in a personal way.

The fact that Meghan has been written about in the U.K. media in such derogatory ways with racial overtones abounding should not be dismissed or evaded. At two days old, M&H's son Archie was depicted by a British commentator as a chimp. The monarchy and the British empire were built via colonization and racist practices.

Last edited:
I found this article while checking news today:

'Canadians back Meghan Markle, want no role for Royal Family in Canada'

https://globalnews.ca/news/7704854/royal-family-canada-queen-meghan-markle-role/

'Two in three Canadians, or 66 per cent of respondents, said the Queen and the royals should not have any formal role in Canadian society, as they are “simply celebrities and nothing more.” That’s up two per cent over last year and six per cent since 2016, Ipsos says.

Roughly six in 10 people said the relationship between Canada and the monarchy should end when the Queen dies, although only about half of Canadians (53 per cent) supported the idea of a referendum on the monarchy, according to the poll. Nearly eight in 10 Canadians felt the Queen has done a good job in her role.'

OK, now where's the part about them backing Meghan?

:previous: I'm not certain which events and which PDA by Meghan you are referencing @Moran. Both Harry and Meghan noticeably hold each other's hands, touch, caress and rub each other in public (on the shoulder, knee, back, arm, ear, head, or hand). There is plenty of video evidence available. Everyone obviously can view these tactile displays of love and affection whichever way that strikes them. Harry has often spoken of how much his mother Diana would grab and hug him and his brother lovingly, and how much he misses her presence. It seems to me that Harry is overjoyed to have found a loving, beautiful, supportive and accomplished partner in Meghan. He has said as much in words and actions.

I don't see M&H's connection as one of mother and son. It is clearly a soul mate relationship that has changed both of their lives on an intimate and personal growth level for the better. If only the rest of the world would view them in a reasonable manner and stop hating and/or obsessing over who they are, over everything they do, and over what they have found in each other.

I don't personally feel that the Queen and Prince Charles are specifically 'racist.' They may hold some unconscious biases as a result of being insulated, indoctrinated and often the subjects of chatter and over-protection for all of their lives in the insular 'gilded cage' bubble.

Certainly, the institution of monarchy and the British culture has a documented history of racism and classism. The experiences that M&H have revealed are sparking needed conversations in Britain and elsewhere. We all need to lead with understanding and compassion, rather than with antagonism.

And they may not hold any unconscious bias as they have traveled throughout the commonwealth and seen the best and worst of humanity.

You stated that the institution of monarchy and the British culture has a documented history of racism and classism. There are also documented attempts and successes to change this. I'm not saying things are perfect, but your comment seems to imply that we believe the current accusations because in the past these things happened.

If that is the case, how do we ever move forward? If one incident in my past will be held against me for the rest of my life, what is my incentive to change? If we cannot believe these changes are possible how are we to believe that Harry's former actions do not reflect his current beliefs? Is he the only person capable of change?

I would not want to be judged by the actions of my ancestors. My grandmother was racist. Her actions were appalling. I think it made my mother's generation, my generation and my children's less so. It made us very aware of the hurt and damage.

If the Royal Family held any real power over the media, then would we have heard about:

1. "Camillagate"
2. "Squidgygate"
3. "Sophie and the Fake Sheikh"
4. Prince Andrew's dealings with Jeffrey Epstein
5. Princess Margaret's affair with Roddy Llewellyn
6. All the "Waity Katie" stuff
7. All the unpleasant claims about Beatrice and Eugenie being scroungers
8. The leaked letters from Princess Anne to Tim Laurence
9. Toe sucking
10. The various allegations over the years that Prince Philip had affairs

etc etc etc?

I wish there were some way of stopping these nasty personal attacks on people. There was a documentary on earlier this week about Caroline Flack, Prince Harry's friend, who took her own life partly as a result of being hounded by the media after she was arrested for allegedly assaulting her boyfriend. I've already mentioned the time Kay Burley did a prime time interview with a publicity-seeking woman whose only claim to fame was saying she'd had an affair with David Beckham. It's all horrible. But I don't see how it's the fault of the Palace.

Last edited:
Their "truth" though wasn't playing hardball. Hardball would be taking issues somewhere that would effect a change. Their "truth" had no substance behind them outside of a blanket statement declaring (x) happened. No substance behind it that would lead to fact checking. In fact, the skin tone statement cannot be verified as being proven to have racial undertones to it. Their "truth" was their perspectives and meant to believed without hearing the *other* side of the story which, in fact, was brilliantly stated in an official statement "recollections may vary". I do not doubt for a minute that Harry and Meghan did run into a lot of brick walls on things but we also realize that the brick wall isn't talking.

BTW: I believe that the Anunnaki from Nibiru genetically created man from a lower hominid. That's truth to my power so it's how things *really* are because I said so. To me, that's the way Meghan and Harry defined their "truth". It's true to them but doesn't make it empirical truth.

And they may not hold any unconscious bias as they have traveled throughout the commonwealth and seen the best and worst of humanity.

You stated that the institution of monarchy and the British culture has a documented history of racism and classism. There are also documented attempts and successes to change this. I'm not saying things are perfect, but your comment seems to imply that we believe the current accusations because in the past these things happened.

If that is the case, how do we ever move forward? If one incident in my past will be held against me for the rest of my life, what is my incentive to change? If we cannot believe these changes are possible how are we to believe that Harry's former actions do not reflect his current beliefs? Is he the only person capable of change?

I would not want to be judged by the actions of my ancestors. My grandmother was racist. Her actions were appalling. I think it made my mother's generation, my generation and my children's less so. It made us very aware of the hurt and damage.

I think it's important for what has been experienced by M&H to spark conversations, and that has already happened on a number of news and talk show programs in the U.S. and in the U.K.

No one is saying that 'one incident in anyone's past' will be held against them for the rest of their life. M&H simply stated what happened to them, and a lot of conclusions have been jumped to because it's obviously an emotional, powder keg issue that's usually avoided.

It might be advisable to stop taking what M&H said personally or as some kind of condemnation of Harry's entire family. It also behooves everyone to stop being in denial that racism exists, simply because you may have never experienced it yourself or you don't want to believe that it exists, or you may have different notions about what it means and how it manifests.

There's nothing wrong with wondering what future children of a multi-ethnic union will look like. There was a lot of wondering and speculation online once Meghan became pregnant with her first child, and even before M&H married. Even non-multi-ethnic couples often talk about who their unborn baby might resemble, and what gender it will be, etc. However, there's a problem when someone in the British royal firm posits the question in connection with concern or worry over 'what that would look like or mean for the monarchy if future children of Meghan & Harry were to have dark skin.' I think someone or a group of people within the firm would benefit by enrolling in courses on biology and human genetics, in addition to undergoing sensitivity and social awareness training.

The palace should also immediately consider doing a thorough house cleaning, along with consolidation of staff under one umbrella, much like Sir Christopher Geidt envisioned and was subsequently canned for proposing in the 2017 palace fiefdom power struggle. The British monarchy is undergoing a seismic shift of a transition which in fact began long before Meghan and Harry ever met.

Last edited:
By virtue of someone bringing up the issue of possible skin color of Harry's future children, that could be termed many things, including bias, ignorance, stupidity, controlling behavior masquerading as faux, misplaced concern, etc. Institutional racism breeds casually biased, unexamined attitudes and beliefs, especially by those who have never personally been subjected to discrimination.

As Harry said, he was not familiar with the subtle and vicious underpinnings and overtones of what racism feels like and how it can often be directly and indirectly experienced in different situations, until he met Meghan and witnessed it in a personal way.

The fact that Meghan has been written about in the U.K. media in such derogatory ways with racial overtones abounding should not be dismissed or evaded. At two days old, M&H's son Archie was depicted by a British commentator as a chimp. The monarchy and the British empire were built via colonization and racist practices.

First of all we don't even know if it's true about a person in the RF saying something about Archie's skin color, and until Harry and Meghan state who it was, we might just as well it was an acquaintance or a very minor royal. They should bite the bullet and reveal the person. If You Have Said A, You Must Also Say B.
Second, Britain abolished their slavery practice 30 years before the America.

Their "truth" though wasn't playing hardball.

It's true to them but doesn't make it empirical truth.

This. 100% this. "Their truth" may certainly be their belief and their perception of something but that certainly does not make "their truth" empirical truth. Sometimes there really is no in between, no gray area, no murky spots. Sometimes things really are as simple as yes/no, black/white, up/down. In this case I can think of several things that were claimed in that interview that are patently and demonstrably false. The biggest of those, of course, being the Archie and the title issue. It is simply a complete falsehood to state that he didn't receive a title because of concern about his skin color. An out and out blatant falsehood. They can call it "their truth" all they want and maybe they've convinced themselves that it's true but it's not. Period. There's over 100 years of written record evidence to prove that they are incorrect.

Absolutely no one should believe anything is the absolute truth just simply because it came out of Harry and Meghan's mouths. And before anyone asks, yes, I'd say that about anyone and any statement. Just because they say something is true doesn't make it so and when there is demonstrable proof that they were lying or at best incorrect, I'm hard pressed to take as gospel anything that these two have to say, particularly when it involves yet another "poor me, won't someone defend me, they left me to fend for myself as an adult" kind of whine. Honestly, at first, I was a little bit floored by the number of highly educated and intelligent individuals I saw who bought their lines hook, line, and sinker. Then it hit me. Those people are all American. Every single one of them. And none of them have more than a passing interest in royalty, really only enough to say "the Queen certainly seems like a lovely woman" and really nothing more. And they bought it all because they were exactly the target audience. The audience that wouldn't know better and really didn't care and couldn't be bothered to dig deeper, ask questions, or actually look up the answers to these things. While that kind of thing, I'm sure, makes Meghan and Harry feel like they're receiving a ton of support of the "big bad meany press and that stuffy old royal family" kind in the short term, as more falsehoods and vaguely misleading pieces of the interview are debunked I suspect they'll find that it falls away quickly or even backfires spectatularly.

There's nothing wrong with wondering what future children of a multi-ethnic union will look like. There was a lot of wondering and speculation online once Meghan became pregnant with her first child, and even before M&H married. Even non-multi-ethnic couples often talk about who their unborn baby might resemble, and what gender it will be, etc. However, there's a problem when someone in the British royal firm posits the question in connection with concern or worry over 'what that would look like or mean for the monarchy if future children of Meghan & Harry were to have dark skin.'.

It's important to point this out and frankly, I commend you for doing so. There's absolutely nothing wrong or inherently racist about wondering who a new baby might resemble, what color eyes/hair he or she may have, whose skin tone or toes or nose he or she might have, etc. That's all part of the fun of welcoming a new baby to a family be they multi-ethnic or not. Many families and groups of friends have a grand old time daydreaming about the future looks of a child and that's 100% okay and not at all an inherently racist thing to do. Can it be done in a malicious and hurtful way? Absolutely it can. Is it usually? No, not really.

We will never, ever know exactly what conversation took place regarding Archie's possible skin tone unless one of the parties involved chooses to reveal the names of those involved AND has some sort of recording to tell us exactly what was said and in what context. Could there have been demeaning and hurtful speculation over what his skin color would be? Sure there could. It's absolutely entirely plausible. Could there have been a perfectly innocent conversation about "my, Harry is so pale with freckles and red hair and Meghan has such dark hair and darker skin tones, I wonder if the kids could get her skin tone with his hair" or something of that nature that was had with Harry and Meghan totally misinterpreted? Absolutely there could. Could there have been a conversation much like that William publicly had in which he stated that he was perfectly fine with his children identifying as LGBTQ but that he worried how he could protect them and guide them in that case while still loving them for who they are? Most definitely there could have been. It's quite easy, actually, to imagine that a conversation took place around the fact that the family would love Archie dearly no matter how dark or light he may be but that they worried how best to protect and shield him if and when he might face taunts and comments regarding his skin tone should he be of darker coloring. And, if that is the case, there's nothing at all racist there and nothing at all saying that his skin tone is a problem, only that they recognize it for what it is and wish to protect him and guide him while still loving him for who he is. Simply put, without context, it's easy to allow imaginations to run wild.

In my own marriage my husband is pale with red hair and freckles while I have olive skin, green eyes, and dark hair and I tan easily while he burns. During all three of my pregnancies we pondered whether our children could get my skin tone with his red hair. It happens. It's what people do during a pregnancy, particularly when parents are very unalike in looks/coloring/features.

First of all we don't even know if it's true about a person in the RF saying something about Archie's skin color, and until Harry and Meghan state who it was, we might just as well it was an acquaintance or a very minor royal. They should bite the bullet and reveal the person. If You Have Said A, You Must Also Say B.
Second, Britain abolished their slavery practice 30 years before the America.

There's no reason to disbelieve the conversations that Harry relayed during the Oprah interview, regardless of 'recollections varying' by whomever. There's no way specific and multiple conversations of that nature, said to have transpired both before and after M&H were wed, can be misunderstood.

Plus, there's no reason to disbelieve or deny that M&H were told current Letters Patent would likely be modified when Charles became King in order to prevent Archie and any additional sibling(s) from becoming HRH Prince/ Princess, purely on the basis of concerns surrounding 'skin color.' Denying M&H's offspring royal titles has nothing to do with goals of 'slimming down the monarchy.' Harry and his future wife and children were always intended to be a core part of the 'slimmed-down monarchy.' That is until Harry met Meghan.

I think it's important for what has been experienced by M&H to spark conversations, and that has already happened on a number of news and talk show programs in the U.S. and in the U.K.
Racism is being talked about in the US and the UK and has been even before the interview. The issue is whether the interview brought more understanding. I would say that it hasn't. As Osipi stated, they alleged things that were demonstrably false. CBS or Harpo actually had to edit headlines and pull headlines from other countries because the real headlines didn't fit their narrative. False accusations of racism make it more difficult for to address real racism.

No one is saying that 'one incident in anyone's past' will be held against them for the rest of their life.
No one may be saying that but that is what is going to happen when Harry and Meghan leak a name of someone they are unhappy with. That remark, whether it was taken out of context (or said at all), will be dredged up at every opportunity.

It might be advisable to stop taking what M&H said personally or as some kind of condemnation of Harry's entire family.
It has been taken personally and as a condemnation of the royal family (with the exception of the Queen and Prince Philip.

It also behooves everyone to stop being in denial that racism exists, simply because you may have never experienced it yourself or you don't want to believe that it exists, or you may have different notions about what it means and how it manifests.
I haven't seen anyone deny that racism exists. It's unfortunate that those defending Harry and Meghan have to create strawmen rather than actually discuss what those who disagree are saying.

There's nothing wrong with wondering what future children of a multi-ethnic union will look like. There was a lot of wondering and speculation online once Meghan became pregnant with her first child, and even before M&H married. Even non-multi-ethnic couples often talk about who their unborn baby might resemble, and what gender it will be, etc.
Then why bring it up?
However, there's a problem when someone in the British royal firm posits the question in connection with concern or worry over 'what that would look like or mean for the monarchy if future children of Meghan & Harry were to have dark skin.' I think someone or a group of people within the firm would benefit by enrolling in courses on biology and human genetics, in addition to undergoing sensitivity and social awareness training.
We don't know what the context was. Harry and Meghan didn't say that the person was worried about the monarchy.
The palace should also immediately consider doing a thorough house cleaning, along with consolidation of staff under one umbrella, much like Sir Christopher Geidt envisioned and was subsequently canned for proposing in the 2017 palace fiefdom power struggle. The British monarchy is undergoing a seismic shift of a transition which in fact began long before Meghan and Harry ever met.

The monarchy is undergoing a transition, and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
I agree that Britain is a class-based country, but not a racist one.

It has been this way for centuries and I doubt that the system will change any time soon. My close friend(white) moved to London from the USA and she confirmed that unless you were born into aristocracy or the upper class in Britain the doors are closed to you

What doors? are you saying you can't get a job?

This. 100% this. "Their truth" may certainly be their belief and their perception of something but that certainly does not make "their truth" empirical truth. Sometimes there really is no in between, no gray area, no murky spots. Sometimes things really are as simple as yes/no, black/white, up/down. In this case I can think of several things that were claimed in that interview that are patently and demonstrably false. The biggest of those, of course, being the Archie and the title issue. It is simply a complete falsehood to state that he didn't receive a title because of concern about his skin color. An out and out blatant falsehood. They can call it "their truth" all they want and maybe they've convinced themselves that it's true but it's not. Period. There's over 100 years of written record evidence to prove that they are incorrect.

Absolutely no one should believe anything is the absolute truth just simply because it came out of Harry and Meghan's mouths. And before anyone asks, yes, I'd say that about anyone and any statement. Just because they say something is true doesn't make it so and when there is demonstrable proof that they were lying or at best incorrect, I'm hard pressed to take as gospel anything that these two have to say, particularly when it involves yet another "poor me, won't someone defend me, they left me to fend for myself as an adult" kind of whine. Honestly, at first, I was a little bit floored by the number of highly educated and intelligent individuals I saw who bought their lines hook, line, and sinker. Then it hit me. Those people are all American. Every single one of them. And none of them have more than a passing interest in royalty, really only enough to say "the Queen certainly seems like a lovely woman" and really nothing more. And they bought it all because they were exactly the target audience. The audience that wouldn't know better and really didn't care and couldn't be bothered to dig deeper, ask questions, or actually look up the answers to these things. While that kind of thing, I'm sure, makes Meghan and Harry feel like they're receiving a ton of support of the "big bad meany press and that stuffy old royal family" kind in the short term, as more falsehoods and vaguely misleading pieces of the interview are debunked I suspect they'll find that it falls away quickly or even backfires spectatularly.

There were people in the UK who saw the programme on the Monday evening were on the TV the next day praising Meghan , agreeing with her, Piers Morgan just went off on one, if he had dealt with it as a journalist with no emotion it would have stood him better.
It was only when the issues were looked at one by one and poked as inaccurate that people started to view things differently. Now that Gayle King is her mouth piece, nobody is interested, I hope they do well in the USA because there is nothing for them here.

Their bubble has burst and I hope for their sake it lasts in America.

Could somebody remind me when Meghan was talking about Archie not getting the title was Harry there. I know he spoke about the security and being cut off financially but I cannot face looking at it again to remind myself if he said anything about the titles.

As we know Archie should become a prince when Charles is king, but could it be that Charles is looking at the problems for Beatrice and Eugenie as Princesses with no royal role and he is thinking about Archie in the future. If that is the case, that would be for practical reasons and not as implied by Meghan because of skin tone, also the no security for Archie, as long as they were here he would be protected with them, but once again was she actually speaking about 20 years from now when it might be removed.
I felt she was being selected in what was said, the emails she has as proof might be just that as I have suggested not because of his skin tone. I cannot believe that anybody in the palace either staff or family have put in an e mail that Archie is not a prince because of his skin.

Denying M&H's offspring royal titles has nothing to do with goals of 'slimming down the monarchy.' Harry and his future wife and children were always intended to be a core part of the 'slimmed-down monarchy.' That is until Harry met Meghan.

Do you have a source for this. I have always heard that Harry and his spouse would be a core part of the slimmed-down monarchy but that plans did not include their children. We can see that in practice. The children of Charles' siblings (the Queen's other grandchildren) are either nonworking royals or don't use their titles. Treating Harry's children (Charles' grandchildren) to be treated any differently than the Charles's nieces and nephews would not result in a slimmed down monarchy.

If the Royal Family held any real power over the media, then would we have heard about:

1. "Camillagate"
2. "Squidgygate"
3. "Sophie and the Fake Sheikh"
4. Prince Andrew's dealings with Jeffrey Epstein
5. Princess Margaret's affair with Roddy Llewellyn
6. All the "Waity Katie" stuff
7. All the unpleasant claims about Beatrice and Eugenie being scroungers
8. The leaked letters from Princess Anne to Tim Laurence
9. Toe sucking
10. The various allegations over the years that Prince Philip had affairs

etc etc etc?

I wish there were some way of stopping these nasty personal attacks on people. There was a documentary on earlier this week about Caroline Flack, Prince Harry's friend, who took her own life partly as a result of being hounded by the media after she was arrested for allegedly assaulting her boyfriend. I've already mentioned the time Kay Burley did a prime time interview with a publicity-seeking woman whose only claim to fame was saying she'd had an affair with David Beckham. It's all horrible. But I don't see how it's the fault of the Palace.

Agree, And some of it amounts to "fault finding" exercises. I remember when Meghan was on maternity leave and there were some pictures of her published before she went on leave. I recall the Daily Mail and perhaps another paper focused on her ring like putting it under a microscope and it looked different insinuations were made that she "dishonored' Harry's choice of ring and "changed it." But this was debunked because Harry gave Meghan extra gems from Diana's estate to add to the ring to commemorate the up coming birth of their first child. But the "rumors" took a life of their own and she was depicted by some as "a bad wife." Also it got so bad, that some perspiration appearing on her shirt was derided. That's what I find particularly bad, the "fault finding" exercises. And this has been done with others as well and is so wrong on many levels IMO.

Last edited:

It also has happened in our little corner of the world where the focus is on royalty from A-Z and is an international forum with people from all over the world participating. In the British threads, everything from Ascending the throne and how it happens to Zara Phillips Tindall to extensive discussions on British titles and styles to the latest fashions worn by a certain royal is discussed and archived and is a wealth of information. It stands to reason that the discussion here found more holes in Harry and Meghan's statements than swiss cheese because we know the ins and outs of how things work and how things Meghan or Harry stated were plain out lies or misleading. Just as we could sit here and pinpoint every little fictionalization in "The Crown". It's like walking into a university classroom on physics discussing the law of gravity and declaring that gravity is a figment of our imagination. What floats in some venues doesn't float where people actually know what they're talking about.

American audience as a majority may not know or realize that there was never, ever a Princess Diana. We here, however, do know that is a fact. That is the difference between what you're seeing here, m'friend, as opinion on the Sussex interview in relations what is on news blips and talk shows. ;)

Last edited:
There's no reason to disbelieve the conversations that Harry relayed during the Oprah interview, regardless of 'recollections varying' by whomever. There's no way specific and multiple conversations of that nature, said to have transpired both before and after M&H were wed, can be misunderstood.

Plus, there's no reason to disbelieve or deny that M&H were told current Letters Patent would likely be modified when Charles became King in order to prevent Archie and any additional sibling(s) from becoming HRH Prince/ Princess, purely on the basis of concerns surrounding 'skin color.' Denying M&H's offspring royal titles has nothing to do with goals of 'slimming down the monarchy.' Harry and his future wife and children were always intended to be a core part of the 'slimmed-down monarchy.' That is until Harry met Meghan.

So what you are saying if Meghan says it then it must be accurate. Nobody is allowed to question it.
I thought it was interesting that the programme was promoted as ' THEIR TRUTH' rather than the truth.
It was nonsense, selective from start to finish.

What doors? are you saying you can't get a job?

Nope. Means you actually can't go through doors unless you have a white gloved butler to open it for you.

Ok. Ok. I'll show myself out. Just attempting a little levity to interrupt very serious discussions which I'm really enjoying TBH. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom