The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same people who taught William about the Duchy’s financial portfolio could have educated Harry about financial issues, as well. Who knows, maybe they tried.

Maybe Harry thought he would be handed a large estate when he married and not only a job and a flat in one of the Royal residences. After all Anne got Gatcombe to raise horses with her then husband, Andrew got Sunninghill, which he could sold for several millions and then could lease the Royal Lodge cheaply, while Edward got Bagshot Park and William Anmer Hall. While Harry was offered app. 1 in Kensington Palace which he exchanged to a cottage on the grounds of Windsor Park. Not that I say this wasn't enough but still it is something else than Gatcombe Park and it never was his to be completely. Maybe Harry "thought" that Charles could pay part of his mortgage on their US house as part of his "inheritance". And I guess Charles would have given him more if he had been king already. But explain that to Meghan.

Btw - there was a clip on the vid offers on my facebook about how Harry and Meghan did something "wrong" during their first appearance on the queen's garden party shortly after their wedding, so Charles ordered Harry to take her home?? Did you read someting about that?

Btw - there was a clip on the vid offers on my facebook about how Harry and Meghan did something "wrong" during their first appearance on the queen's garden party shortly after their wedding, so Charles ordered Harry to take her home?? Did you read someting about that?

I did see that. I have no idea how true it really may be or not but I heard it had something to do with her deciding she was bored and wanted to leave and apparently some of the aides were appalled.

I did see that. I have no idea how true it really may be or not but I heard it had something to do with her deciding she was bored and wanted to leave and apparently some of the aides were appalled.

I did hear this but it was Lady Colin Campbell I htink who publicised it and generally I am inclined to disbelieve her...

Yes. From their own words it sounds like they one the one hand really hate the life and restrictions of "The Institution" but on the other they want all the perks, titles and money that come with being high up the restricted ladder.

What they really seem to want is an unlimited supply of money, perks, 100% press and public adoration and to be able to say and do what they like. Which is what a lot of people would like but it's an impossible dream.
They are exactly like my aunt, "I don't want to work but I want to be rich"...:ermm:

That’s the thing, though. He has zero idea of what professional income really means. I really think that, in his mind anyway, he thought as long as he kept himself and thereby the RF in the forefront of the news he was in some weird way “earning” an income and they should pay him for it. Almost like he was becoming a weird sort of publicity machine for the RF. And it could have gone either way...they pay up and meet his demands and the stories are positive and upbeat about charity works, fun stuff like the Cordon interview, little tidbits about Granny and the waffle maker, etc. Or, they refuse to pay up and scoff at his demands and we end up where we now are. Temper tantrums and anything they think they can do to stamp their feet and hold their breath until someone hands over the cash.

It probably all started when they began to set up SussexRoyal. There were things that they wanted to do that would be "different" than how things worked with the Royal Foundation and would, in fact, generate an income. They were told that wasn't allowed to do as the only funding for royal roles, duties and charitable endeavors (think the Hubb cookbook. Meghan didn't receive any of the profits from the best selling book) because the Sovereign Grant covers that kind of stuff. So... ditch the Sovereign Grant aspect and be free and clear with SussexRoyal to generate income and float the foundation on its own independent of the "institution". They would be half out working for the foundation and half in working as senior working royals for the "Firm". Hunky dory as the only funding they'd lose in the Sovereign Grant. Part time living elsewhere focusing on their foundation and part time in the UK doing "royal" stuff. That didn't sit well with the "Firm". You're either with us or not with us.

They were given the *choice* on a business level. Not personal but business. They chose to leave the "Firm". The mistake made was to realize that the Bank of Dad's 2 million for their office, staff, wardrobe and living expenses were tied to their professional lives within the "Firm" (official representing the Queen) and the royal family (personal private foundation incentives, Sentebale, Invictus, Hubb Kitchen etc). They *could* have remained having Sussex Royal if they'd remained within the fold and it was run as the Royal Foundation is with the charities and incentives profiting and not any member of the royal family.

In this scenario, I think they took the words "professional income" as to mean one that supported their foundation solely. Their private income, to them, should still be guaranteed by the Bank of Dad and the security funded by the British taxpayer (or Dad in the US).

Lorie138 , thankyou for pointing out my error as to the location of the [ahmm] "interview"'. I should not have relied on early newspaper reports .
I am doubtful if it was in fact H & M's home, that they would have received a location fee as they would have invited Ms Winfrey to film there .
as to Ms King's recent "revelation's ", that although H had talked to both his Father & Brother , the talk's were "unproductive ". I would hazard an opinion that both other men thought that re-stablishing the lines of communication was productive .

The productive angle of the phone calls was proven by the fact that Charles and William actually picked up the phone. I'd not have been surprised to hear the Sussexes whining "We called and called but keep getting "beep... beep.. beep... access denied!" Unproductive only means that nothing went the way the Sussexes wanted it to go. ;)

That’s the thing, though. He has zero idea of what professional income really means. I really think that, in his mind anyway, he thought as long as he kept himself and thereby the RF in the forefront of the news he was in some weird way “earning” an income and they should pay him for it. Almost like he was becoming a weird sort of publicity machine for the RF. And it could have gone either way...they pay up and meet his demands and the stories are positive and upbeat about charity works, fun stuff like the Cordon interview, little tidbits about Granny and the waffle maker, etc. Or, they refuse to pay up and scoff at his demands and we end up where we now are. Temper tantrums and anything they think they can do to stamp their feet and hold their breath until someone hands over the cash.

But they did the 2 different style programmes quite close to each other. I think that the corden one was to show that they are close to the RF and so still royal.. but the other one was to say "the RF are cruel to us and we are victims please pity us"....

Even if Harry and Meghan thought "professional income" was different from "income covering their personal expenses", I find it hard to believe that the RF would let them struggle under this delusion. I'd rather suppose that Charles made it pretty clear what they'd lose but Harry didn't believe it and kept making demands as if Charles' words were air. I have to admit that I'd probably stopped taking his calls either. One of the things I hate most is talking to air. At least when you say "no" to a child and they ask for the same thing five minutes later, it's because in their mind this "no" was just for that particular moment and if they ask often enough, the eventual answer would be different. IOW, you know they're kids and they're going to grow up... eventually...

But they did the 2 different style programmes quite close to each other. I think that the corden one was to show that they are close to the RF and so still royal.. but the other one was to say "the RF are cruel to us and we are victims please pity us"....

I don’t disagree at all. I was just using that more as the example of the “jolly Harry” that would have maybe continued to be on show if they’d managed to keep the money rolling in rather than the “burn it all down, hold your breath until the give in, temper tantrum” mess they’re now showing themselves to be as punishment or retribution or getting back at the RF for refusing to continue to allow themselves to be fleeced by these two. No doubt about it, the Jolly Harry image is certainly much more pleasant for everyone and I’m slowly but surely becoming convinced that that is the act he’s choose to continue if his demands were met while this current act is the result of the gravy train screeching to a halt.

As has been pointed out before, Harry inherited millions of pounds from Diana, and possibly inherited money from the Queen Mother too. It's hardly as if he was thrown out in the street with not a penny to his name and nothing but the clothes he stood up in. I haven't a clue what his private income from interest and dividends is, but it's probably more in a year than some hard-working people with full time jobs earn in a lifetime.

I think "Jolly Prince Harry" did have some truth in it but it was always an act to a certain extent. Or a certain way of looking and reporting on him that didn't get much investigation because everyone liked it. IIRC I think we have Edward Lane Fox to thank for that after the scandals that culminated in Vegas.

I think he had that persona about him for real to a certain extent and I believe he was passionate about things like Invictus and Sentebele but many other less palatable things were covered up or dismissed. The same goes for all other royals and celebrities I'm sure.

As has been pointed out before, Harry inherited millions of pounds from Diana, and possibly inherited money from the Queen Mother too. It's hardly as if he was thrown out in the street with not a penny to his name and nothing but the clothes he stood up in. I haven't a clue what his private income from interest and dividends is, but it's probably more in a year than some hard-working people with full time jobs earn in a lifetime.

yes I dont feel that he got a bad deal from the RF on his marriage. He got a house, he had a private fortune... and Meghan is supposed to have some money of her own..

Exactly. He theoretically has many millions, like at least 15 or 20 million pounds. Plus half of Diana's large jewellery collection.

I think "Jolly Prince Harry" did have some truth in it but it was always an act to a certain extent. Or a certain way of looking and reporting on him that didn't get much investigation because everyone liked it. IIRC I think we have Edward Lane Fox to thank for that after the scandals that culminated in Vegas.

I think he had that persona about him for real to a certain extent and I believe he was passionate about things like Invictus and Sentebele but many other less palatable things were covered up or dismissed. The same goes for all other royals and celebrities I'm sure.

I agree entirely. I just think that’s the image he would continue to put out there and keep up if things went the way he believed they should. When they didn’t he dropped all pretense and though I agree that there may still be some of that version of Harry left, he allowed the less palatable pieces of himself to become his image.

yes I dont feel that he got a bad deal from the RF on his marriage. He got a house, he had a private fortune... and Meghan is supposed to have some money of her own..
And yet, they look so unhappy :ohmy: ...greed is a horrible quality.

And yet, they look so unhappy :ohmy: ...greed is a horrible quality.

I think that it is partly wanting more moeny but also partly sulking because they didn't get the attention that they wanted..

I agree entirely. I just think that’s the image he would continue to put out there and keep up if things went the way he believed they should. When they didn’t he dropped all pretense and though I agree that there may still be some of that version of Harry left, he allowed the less palatable pieces of himself to become his image.

I was always up and down about Harry, i thought he was very bratty as a young lad, and William while too much of Hooray Henry, did outgrow that phase. Harry improved in the army, but underneath it all, I think there was an angry spoiled mixed up tiresome young man.. who simply wil not do what he doesn't want to do..
I began to feel when he started royal duties, that although he was likable and good hearted, he was trying to attract attention too much.. that he did t he royal work with an eye to "being loved and noticed"... And perhaps as Will has had more children, Harry began to panic that in another few years, he would not get the same attention and admiration. Then he married Meghan and she lost her popularity in a short time.. and it began to pull H's ratings down...so before very long, he and she wanted out, wanted to make money adn do what they liked rather than what duty required of htem....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always up and down about Harry, i thought he was very bratty as a young lad, and William while too much of Hooray Henry, did outgrow that phase. Harry improved in the army, but underneath it all, I think there was an angry spoiled mixed up tiresome young man.. who simply wil not do what he doesn't want to do..
I began to feel when he started royal duties, that although he was likable and good hearted, he was trying to attract attention too much.. that he did t he royal work with an eye to "being loved and noticed"... And perhaps as Will has had more children, Harry began to panic that in another few years, he would not get the same attention and admiration. Then he married Meghan and she lost her popularity in a short time.. and it began to pull H's ratings down...so before very long, he and she wanted out, wanted to make money adn do what they liked rather than what duty required of htem....

I think I’m a lot of ways you’re probably right. He put on a really good show for a number of years and I don’t think it was all an act. Maybe playing up some parts of his personality but I think there were some parts that were real. He did state publicly once that he had to make the most of his time in the spotlight because the Cambridge kids were coming up quick. As for he and Meghan...I think they bring out the worst in each other. Both toxic in their own ways but possibly manageable with partners who wouldn’t allow those pieces to take over. Together they’re a disaster. Both feed off the worst parts of each other and together they just bring out a whole whirlwind of drama, neediness, spoiled and whiny tantrums, and more.

I would think the lawyers fees, and paying the PR company and the mortgage fees must be a huge drain on their finances. As well as all the many other costs they have to shell out for.

Both have won their court cases and costs. Apart from Harry’s class action with others against the British Press ref long ago hacking cases I don’t believe there are any cases outstanding. (Meghan has already been granted interim costs against the Mail on Sunday, and is likely to get the rest of her legal fees paid by the paper at the final hearing in April/May.)

:previous: This is excellent news. No one had the right to print a story let alone *show* a private letter between Meghan and her father. I'm glad she's come out on top with this one. :cheers:

Maybe Harry thought he would be handed a large estate when he married and not only a job and a flat in one of the Royal residences. After all Anne got Gatcombe to raise horses with her then husband, Andrew got Sunninghill, which he could sold for several millions and then could lease the Royal Lodge cheaply, while Edward got Bagshot Park and William Anmer Hall. While Harry was offered app. 1 in Kensington Palace which he exchanged to a cottage on the grounds of Windsor Park. Not that I say this wasn't enough but still it is something else than Gatcombe Park and it never was his to be completely. Maybe Harry "thought" that Charles could pay part of his mortgage on their US house as part of his "inheritance". And I guess Charles would have given him more if he had been king already. l]

To me this is the difference between being the child of the reigning monarch when you marry vs a grandchild who is not the future monarch, and also the difference between the 70s/80s vs 2018.

If Harry and Meghan had remained with the BRF and were still full time working royals when Charles became King I’m sure a grander country home could have been found for them, had they still wanted it. Like the issue with Archie’s HRH, all they had to do was wait a bit.

Maybe Harry thought he would be handed a large estate when he married and not only a job and a flat in one of the Royal residences. After all Anne got Gatcombe to raise horses with her then husband, Andrew got Sunninghill, which he could sold for several millions and then could lease the Royal Lodge cheaply, while Edward got Bagshot Park and William Anmer Hall. While Harry was offered app. 1 in Kensington Palace which he exchanged to a cottage on the grounds of Windsor Park. Not that I say this wasn't enough but still it is something else than Gatcombe Park and it never was his to be completely. Maybe Harry "thought" that Charles could pay part of his mortgage on their US house as part of his "inheritance". And I guess Charles would have given him more if he had been king already. But explain that to Meghan.

There were rumours that The Queen gave Harry & Meghan York Cottage at Sandringham Estate as wedding gifts.
https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a21062465/meghan-markle-prince-harry-york-cottage-sandringham/
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...ving-prince-harry-meghan-markle-york-cottage/
https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/02/insi...ce-harry-meghan-markle-royal-wedding-7515038/

Marlene Koenig, however called foul on these reports, given that York Cottage has not being used as royal residence for 100 years and right on the tourist path. She also mentioned the alleged rumour (not confirmed by the Palace) that Harry signed a two-year lease on the Great Tew estate in Oxfordshire.
Royal Musings: York Cottage for the Sussexes ... I think not

There was another rumour (also nothing confirmed) Charles intended to build an estate at Herefordshire for Harry & his family to live in. This was part of Charles' plan and prediction in the 1980s though and the Express article itself was published on 2nd September 2019. :eek:

Insiders close to the royal couple have hinted that the pair are planning to move to the US and will not continue with his family on an estate earmarked by his father. A source told Charlotte Griffiths in the Mail on Sunday: “In the 1980s, it was decided baby Harry would one day have a family and want to build an estate. Charles has discussed Herefordshire, thinking he’d love it.

“Perhaps back then they were expecting Harry would marry a Sloaney nursery teacher who would love nothing more than running an estate.

“Fast forward to 2019, and that dream seems deeply old-fashioned, not to mention unrealistic.”

Perhaps the most eerie part of this Express article is the mentioning of the rumour that Harry & Meghan were planning to move to LA or other cities in California. It also mentioned that Meghan was homesick and want to move back to where she grew up familiar with. And this article was in September 2019, way before the Southern Africa tour. :ohmy:

How Prince Harry will defy his father's wishes and snub earmarked future home for LA life
MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry are set to snub to Prince Charles’s plans for his second son to live on an estate in Herefordshire.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...la-move-snub-charles-Hertfordshire-estate-pla

There was a rumour on Harewood Park in Herefordshire, a rural estate purchased by Duchy of Cornwall in 2000. The Duchy of Cornwall has denied that Harewood Park will be the home of any royal personages.
Ross-on-Wye Civic Society - Harewood Park - Regeneration

Last edited:

The flat in a royal residence as you call it could probably house 6 families , it also included built in security.
Once again William is the heir , the queen has other grand children, none of whom as far as we know she housed other than royal residences.

I agree that if he had waited there woud have been more, what will happen to Highgrove for example.
The garden party story came from Lady Colin Campbell, it was a garden party for Charles celebrating his work and charities.
Lady C claimed that Meghan made a comment and she was told to go. I have no idea if that is true or not.
When you look at the video H and M appear to be quite happily mixing with guests, Charles says something to Harry and then the couple leave straight away.

Last edited:

Gatcombe and Sunninghill are privately owned. They could have bought Harry a house. He could have bought himself a house. They gave him a very nice chunk of property.

William is unusual to be given the use of two houses. But I think to be honest they were thinking about giving the children a normal life as possible. They are only in London during term time. They spend a third of the year in Norfolk.

Last edited:
What ‘nice chunk of property’ did Harry get? Frogmore Cottage was longterm ex staff quarters, a building long neglected and falling to bits. It was also small as royal quarters go, only five bedrooms, and without the ton of extras the Fail ascribed to it.

Its location isn’t ideal either, near the royal cemetery and quite near a public road. It had staff parking adjacent to it before the couple moved in. A bit different to Royal Lodge, Gatcombe or Anmer!

Last edited:
What ‘nice chunk of property’ did Harry get? Frogmore Cottage was longterm ex staff quarters, a building long neglected and falling to bits. It was also small as royal quarters go, only five bedrooms, and without the ton of extras the Fail ascribed to it.

Its location isn’t ideal either, near the royal cemetery and quite near a public road. It had staff parking adjacent to it before the couple moved in. A bit different to Royal Lodge, Gatcombe or Anmer!

Sure living on the Windsor estate in a newly renovated house is a hardship no one would want. They could have bought their own home and we know the were offered apartment 1 too. Could have had that. Charles bought Highgrove. Anne bought Gatcombe. And who should have lost their home to give Harry one?

Sure living on the Windsor estate in a newly renovated house is a hardship no one would want. They could have bought their own home and we know the were offered apartment 1 too. Could have had that. Charles bought Highgrove. Anne bought Gatcombe. And who should have lost their home to give Harry one?

I completely agree with your point that no one should have been put out for Harry. That said, in the interest of fairness, Anne didn’t buy Gatcombe. It was a wedding gift from HM. That said, yes, they could have purchased a property for Harry or he could have purchased one himself. It does make you wonder if there weren’t already rumblings that he may not be around long or if, perhaps, nothing they purchased would have been good enough. At least by renovating Frogmore it could then be used by another member of the family after Harry and Meghan decided to up sticks.

A renovated smallish house that wasn’t half of what Andrew, Anne, Edward, William got. The Sussexes already explained in 2019 that the renovations of the KP Apartment 1 would have cost more from the Sovereign Grant monies that the FC did. It also wasn’t apparently available for a long time as the Gloucesters were in occupancy.

Harry could have bought a property? So could William, who inherited the same amount of money from his mother! And Harry and Meghan liked Oxfordshire and rented there but the security was non-existent.

Probably Meghan wasn’t expected to become pregnant so quickly and the PTB thought that they could be at Nott Cott for a while longer. Also the plans for the renovations at Frogmore were lodged with the Windsor council in the same month and year as the Sussex wedding, so maybe the couple weren’t going to be given the KP flat at all.

Last edited:
Was anything bought for HM's other grandchildren upon their weddings (other than William's, for obvious reasons) and if so, how did it compare to what was given Harry? You know, since the couple is so fond of bringing other royals and other grandchildren to compare with their own situation.
So, did she buy Zara, Peter, Eugenie, and Beatrice comparable residences? I know nothing about Peter and Zara and I think I remember Eugenie in a rather smallish house but I don't know if it was her permanent one and who provided it.

Was anything bought for HM's other grandchildren upon their weddings (other than William's, for obvious reasons) and if so, how did it compare to what was given Harry? You know, since the couple is so fond of bringing other royals and other grandchildren to compare with their own situation.
So, did she buy Zara, Peter, Eugenie, and Beatrice comparable residences? I know nothing about Peter and Zara and I think I remember Eugenie in a rather smallish house but I don't know if it was her permanent one and who provided it.

No. She didn’t provide homes for any of them. Anne provided homes for Zara and Peter on her estate, though they both provided their own homes before moving to Gatcombe. Andrew paid for an apartment at St. James for years for his girls. On marriage it appears that Beatrice moved in with Edo and Eugenie and Jack pay commercial rent for Ivy Cottage. So no, more was actually done for Harry and Meghan than for any of the others besides William. I suspect because he is the son of the PoW and was expected to remain permanently a working member of the RF.

No. She didn’t provide homes for any of them. Anne provided homes for Zara and Peter on her estate, though they both provided their own homes before moving to Gatcombe. Andrew paid for an apartment at St. James for years for his girls. On marriage it appears that Beatrice moved in with Edo and Eugenie and Jack pay commercial rent for Ivy Cottage. So no, more was actually done for Harry and Meghan than for any of the others besides William. I suspect because he is the son of the PoW and was expected to remain permanently a working member of the RF.

I see. So, we're once again at the starting point that Harry is so much more important than the other grandchildren who were provided for by their parents or themselves (the working royals part matters, of course, but as the couple said, they weren't this sure they'd be working royals from the beginning, so this wasn't set in stone), that he should be placed at equal level with HM's children. I don't get it. What's the reason? He wasn't even the spare anymore, yet I've seen people think that he'd almost be the co-head of a joint monarchy while Edward and Sophie, let alone their children, are regarded as minor royals - and he is the Queen's son. Seems strange to me, even with the Diana angle added. Which, I have to say, don't oblige HM with anything, in my eyes. Did anyone think it strange that Charles was given so much more than Andrew at the time of their respective weddings, housing apart? I remember Sarah saying that she never had the kind of money Diana had for her wardrobe and I just took it in passing. Harry was well-off due to his mother's inheritance (the bulk of which came from Charles). Surely he could have afforded to buy the home he wanted?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom