The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't like this idea that Charles should give them more & more money, the titles, status and anything else they desire.
a) He just really doesn't need to do that.

And b) I can't see how that would truly improve their mental health. They got away from the BRF as they wished, they're living in their place of choice in a lovely house, they have got lucrative business deals, a child & another on the way, yet they still don't seem happy. So I don't think that more money from Charles & titles for the children etc would make them so. It's a deeper problem and I still think that unless they are willing to to develop self-awareness and take responsibility for things themselves, it will not change.

If Charles were to cave and give them more money, he'd be widely criticized by the public, and he can't afford that.

Nor do I think that would improve matters; Unless Charles could miraculously make Harry equal to William, the Sussexes will remain unhappy.

Actually it was for them to choose. They were presented with a few choices and they chose Sussex.

I don't think there were many traditional choices left other than Sussex and Clarence.

The usual suspects (York, Kent, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Gloucester) are already taken and Albany or Cumberland are still on the limbo caused by the Titles Deprivation Act 1917. Connaught is out of the question now too because it is a territorial designation in the Republic of Ireland.

Some posters here mentioned Buckingham, but I don't think that title has been used by a member of the British Royal Family in the past.

Last edited:
Do you have a source on this? My understanding that it was the Queen who decided. She could've chosen from Kendal, Clarence...etc or created a whole knew Dukedom entirely and she chose Sussex.

There was a lot of speculation here at the time, with everyone discussing pros and cons of each possibility, and wondering which Harry would choose.
Sussex was the most obvious but not the only choice.

Meghan was asking for help, so it wouldn't have been a matter of forcing her to get therapy or medication. She didn't know where to go, which is fair enough. Harry, on the other hand, should not have needed his family or HR to help him find a counselor. After the second or third day of coming home to find his wife crying, he should have called the person who helped him (don't know if it was therapy or drugs) and asked for a referral. It's not rocket science.

Yes, Lexapro, helped me a lot, I feel like a new person, I was very depressed during last year, lost my job, had to move in with my mother(turned out to be a good thing for both of us) but I could not see a way forward, Lexapro really helped. I can see a way through the tunnel now.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that things have improved for you. I have also taken antidepressants, and not because of a serious setback. It is unfortunate that so many people, like Harry, think that it is something to be ashamed of. For anyone who is feeling sad for any length of time, there is help available. People who don't have physicians should google mental health services in their areas. There are many people who are ready and able to help.

Last edited:
Only one thing I'm going to throw in here in regards to Meghan and perhaps getting a prescription to help her through a mental health crisis. Most likely, doctors would not prescribe something for her as she was also pregnant at the time and the drugs would be in not only her bloodstream but also her child's.

Charles, on the other hand, may have been able to suggest a natural remedy. He knows plants. He's knowledgeable about alternate therapies. Chamomile tea for one. Nature's sedative. Just a thought.

Only one thing I'm going to throw in here in regards to Meghan and perhaps getting a prescription to help her through a mental health crisis. Most likely, doctors would not prescribe something for her as she was also pregnant at the time and the drugs would be in not only her bloodstream but also her child's.

Charles, on the other hand, may have been able to suggest a natural remedy. He knows plants. He's knowledgeable about alternate therapies. Chamomile tea for one. Nature's sedative. Just a thought.

Great point. It is true that breastfeeding women should be careful about medications, but experts confirm that there are several antidepressants that women can safely take during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

ETA: there are also some natural remedies that should be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women. Best to check with a physician or medical professional.

Last edited:
If Charles were to cave and give them more money, he'd be widely criticized by the public, and he can't afford that.

Nor do I think that would improve matters; Unless Charles could miraculously make Harry equal to William, the Sussexes will remain unhappy.
... And if this miracle happens, the wide British public will remain unhappy.

BTW, someone has translated Piers Morgan's article re: interview in Bulgarian. It's a good translation, too.

Unlike many here, I was appalled at the pressure levelled against Piers. I dislike him and his methods immensely but that's no reason to limit his right to free speech. Harry, Meghan and their lawyers on a crusade against everyone who says they don't believe their truth and are kind of influential reminds me of the one and only right party line I grew up with, staring at me from my very first textbooks.

Sue Piers. Denounce him. Do whatever you want. But he has the right to say what he thinks and make himself ridiculous in the process, which has happened.

I would assume that Meghan would know that there were medicines she couldn't take while pregnant. that does not mean that she could not see her doctor ask for a referral to a psychiatrist and try a talking cure. Unlike most of us, she could afford daily therapy..
And as for Harry, he's supposed tho be part of initiatives to show that mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, and that people should be able to talk about it just as they do about physical illnesses. So why would he not (a) know where to refer his wife to get help and (b) be ashamed of telling people that she was depressed?

Originally by Landogas
Thank G-d, nothing has happened, but I think that the Firm should feel someway other than offended and aggrieved. I think they should feel worried. And they should do everything they can to help.

If I were Charles, I would stop being quite so busy. I would hop on a private jet and get myself to California. He’s man enough to withstand any public criticism.

Charles's father is very sick and just out of the hospital, I don't think now is the time to fly to LA, what happens if god forbid Phillip takes a turn for the worse, and Charles is stuck in the US smoothing Harry's feathers.

It all comes back to the interview dropping a bombshell and leaving the hole of destruction. No clarification of the aftermath or asking questions to clarify exactly what Meghan meant in regards to the help she wanted. A good interviewer would have asked "What did you then do about it? Did the move out of the UK solve the problem? " instead of sitting there with the OMG face. The purpose was to drop the statement that Meghan was suicidal, Harry didn't know what to do and the "institution" refused help and that was the full impact and onto another topic of conversation. We will never know the ins and outs of that time because, frankly, we weren't given a whole lot of information to work with. Mental health issues are unique to the people that have them and it's never something simple as a doc examining a cut and determining how many stitches are needed. One thing though, is that the mental health segment of that interview does not point to Harry and Meghan as being "woke" or "influencers" when it comes to promoting mental health. That's just my thought and impression though.

Originally by Landogas

Charles's father is very sick and just out of the hospital, I don't think now is the time to fly to LA, what happens if god forbid Phillip takes a turn for the worse, and Charles is stuck in the US smoothing Harry's feathers.

I'd say the last thing Charles should do is go running after Harry. There is still a pandemic on, and it looks to me that if Charles pulled down the monarchy and made Harry future King, it still would not satisfy the pair of them.

It all comes back to the interview dropping a bombshell and leaving the hole of destruction. No clarification of the aftermath or asking questions to clarify exactly what Meghan meant in regards to the help she wanted. A good interviewer would have asked "What did you then do about it? Did the move out of the UK solve the problem? " instead of sitting there with the OMG face. The purpose was to drop the statement that Meghan was suicidal, Harry didn't know what to do and the "institution" refused help and that was the full impact and onto another topic of conversation. We will never know the ins and outs of that time because, frankly, we weren't given a whole lot of information to work with. Mental health issues are unique to the people that have them and it's never something simple as a doc examining a cut and determining how many stitches are needed. One thing though, is that the mental health segment of that interview does not point to Harry and Meghan as being "woke" or "influencers" when it comes to promoting mental health. That's just my thought and impression though.
very true re your last point.
But the whole interview was so farcical that I could not watch much of it. It was "harry and Meghan make dramatic but vague statements.. which are mainly untrue " and Orpah puts on a shocked face and goes "OMG what did you just say".

Last edited by a moderator:

If Charles would give Meghan and Harry the world and then some more, the two of them would still be unhappy.

What would help is some deep, profound and soul searching to find their woulds of the mind and subsequently address the long festering issues that are eating them from the inside.

I'd say the last thing Charles should do is go running after Harry. There is still a pandemic on, and it looks to me that if Charles pulled down the monarchy and made Harry future King, it still would not satisfy the pair of them.

I think the better question is why should Charles or anyone in the BRF run after Harry at all? Harry is the one that needs to to make that trip to England to have face to face discussions with his family who he has made very serious accusations towards in front of millions of people seeking to damage or destroy his own family. But you know he won’t do that.

I think Charles need to stop coddling Harry too much. I mean, the man is nearly 40 and he expect his father to continue to fund his lifestyle in a different country in a different continent? Why not make Charles read him a bedtime story and tucked him into bed while we're at it?

Last edited:
I think Charles need to stop coddling Harry too much. I mean, the man is nearly 40 and he expect his father to continue to fund his lifestyle in a different country in a different continent? Why not make Charles read him a bedtime story and tucked him into bed while we're at it?

I must admit that while i didn't have the greatest opinion of Harry, i was godbsmacked by the whole thing that he clearly expected Charles to go on funding him.. when he and Meg had left to make their own money - i was sure that Charles would pay off the Frogmore money for them.. but I thought that when they got the Netflix deal they were going to earn their own money and stand on their own feet...
but I think that the truth seems to be that Harry really did flounce out, in a temper and with NO idea what h e was doing (though I'm sure they did make plans for this ages ago)... but when it came to the crunch he didn't really know what he was doing.. other than he wanted to be sitll royal but living far away.. and that he doesn't have the least idea of what it takes to make enough money to live on, esp. for the sort of lifestyle he wants. and I suspect that when Netflix start saying "what about these ideas then,, what are you going ot do for us" he will get a bigger shock that he's expected to d more than write his name on a deal...

but I think that the truth seems to be that Harry really did flounce out, in a temper and with NO idea what h e was doing (though I'm sure they did make plans for this ages ago)... but when it came to the crunch he didn't really know what he was doing.. other than he wanted to be sitll royal but living far away.. and that he doesn't have the least idea of what it takes to make enough money to live on, esp. for the sort of lifestyle he wants. and I suspect that when Netflix start saying "what about these ideas then,, what are you going ot do for us" he will get a bigger shock that he's expected to d more than write his name on a deal...
It's Meghan that I don't get. She didn't grow up as the pampered granddaughter of HM and she did work... I'd expect that she'd get Harry's measure re: work pretty much immediately. Unless she was just as convinced as him that they'd never need to really work when they left and then, they were so desperate for cash that she convinced herself they'd produce worthy content... somehow...

BTW, I don't believe they ever intended to stay in Canada. Too quiet for them. Not nearly enough flashy in the way they clearly prefer. Canada was a temporary stop to appease the public in the hopes that they could still get something of their royalty.

I think the better question is why should Charles or anyone in the BRF run after Harry at all? Harry is the one that needs to to make that trip to England to have face to face discussions with his family who he has made very serious accusations towards in front of millions of people seeking to damage or destroy his own family. But you know he won’t do that.

Very well said, Harry should be held accountable on this for not only letting Gayle King know about his private conversation (as well as allowing Gayle King to air the content on TV), but also agreeing to do this Oprah's interview. Harry is responsible for a whole list of things, given that he was born into the royal family. Harry & Meghan are the ones who made the decision to leave the Firm and the UK. They were not kicked out. Harry should be making the trip to the UK not Charles to the US, given that it was the Sussexes who lay the accusations at the royal family and cannot be trusted around private conversation.

I agree with some posters here that Harry has been allowed to get away with lots of things. If this had been other members of the Royal Family, they would have been slaughtered by the media and the British public. Harry does perceived as a child who has not been told "No" enough and probably not used to it when things don't go his own way.

I think even Eugenie would not want her uncle to travel abroad, given that her father-in-law was in A&E being treated for COVID-19, after a trip to France. Prince Charles and George Brooksbank are at similar age. This is despite Eugenie and Harry are close (though they may not be after Oprah's interview).
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...rooksbank-father-in-law-coronavirus-recovery/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...her-in-law-praises-nhs-nine-week-coronavirus/

Last edited:
It's Meghan that I don't get. She didn't grow up as the pampered granddaughter of HM and she did work... I'd expect that she'd get Harry's measure re: work pretty much immediately. Unless she was just as convinced as him that they'd never need to really work when they left and then, they were so desperate for cash that she convinced herself they'd produce worthy content... somehow...

BTW, I don't believe they ever intended to stay in Canada. Too quiet for them. Not nearly enough flashy in the way they clearly prefer. Canada was a temporary stop to appease the public in the hopes that they could still get something of their royalty.
NO i think Canada was always a blind.. and they would move to the US in time.. but the Covid situation and the Can govt stopping thier security, drove them make the move to USA in a hurry.
I think that Meghan while she's had more life experience than Harry, and has a bit more brains, still isn't up to much in the brains dept. I th ink she too thought that they would still get the RF chipping in, and that if they made some extra money, trashing the RF or doing the odd bit of documentary or the like, ti would be extra and they could say "Oh we're earning our own money"..

And I suspect that she has realised that Harry aint got a clue about making money and will just sit there and hope for something to happen... so that she has to do something to bring in teh dough.. But still to trash the RF, when Charles may be teh only one who will save their bacon financially, is not very smart....

I think if she wanted to go to a hospital, esp one in the US, there might be a case for saying that it was difficult, it would be very hard not to attract press attention if it came out that the Duchess was at some mental health clinic. but she could see a psychiatrist on a private visit every day, if she wanted. She could have a mental health nurse living in, keeping her company and keeping an eye on her.. she has options that aren't available to most people with mental or physical illness. The RF got psychiatrics help for Diana, in the ealry days of her marriage, when she was ill and not able to cope and that was a long time ago. I can't believe that her medical team and the Palace woudl refuse help to Meghan..

The RF couldn’t have refused Meghan help even if they wanted to. Just like they couldn’t keep her from her passport or her keys. They could offer suggestions and refuse to offer support for options they thought would do more harm than good, but if Meghan was determined to check herself into some trendy American residential haven for troubled celebrities no one could have stopped her. The press would have been literally swarming her, the security may have been difficult, and the facility itself may have refused to take her on for various reasons, but no one could have prevented her from trying if she and Harry had the money to pay for it.

I’d be interested to know if she ever did seek professional attention, and when.

The scariest part is that Harry and Oprah are working together on some sort of program on mental health. One had sought help in the past at the urging of his family, but admitted that he was too ashamed to admit his wife's issues to his family. Then, he didn't take steps to help his wife himself.

The other acted like it was perfectly understandable for Harry to be ashamed and for Meghan to run around to everyone but her doctors. Moreover, she implied that no one should take responsibility for their own mental health or that of their immediate family. Finally, she missed the opportunity to urge any viewers who may be suffering to ask for help. I admit I don't watch much of Oprah but she is the last person who should be advising people on mental health issues.

And I suspect that she has realised that Harry aint got a clue about making money and will just sit there and hope for something to happen... so that she has to do something to bring in teh dough.. But still to trash the RF, when Charles may be teh only one who will save their bacon financially, is not very smart....

I have been assuming they didn't get paid for the interview or if they did, it wouldn't have been much versus what Oprah and CBS made. If they had been smart, they would have arranged to produce the interview for Netflix.

Meghan was asking for help, so it wouldn't have been a matter of forcing her to get therapy or medication. She didn't know where to go, which is fair enough. Harry, on the other hand, should not have needed his family or HR to help him find a counselor. After the second or third day of coming home to find his wife crying, he should have called the person who helped him (don't know if it was therapy or drugs) and asked for a referral. It's not rocket science.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that things have improved for you. I have also taken antidepressants, and not because of a serious setback. It is unfortunate that so many people, like Harry, think that it is something to be ashamed of. For anyone who is feeling sad for any length of time, there is help available. People who don't have physicians should google mental health services in their areas. There are many people who are ready and able to help.

Thank you, feeling much better, Lexapro is a very mild antidepressant, a lot of my friends started taking it last year, Covid hit really hard here in the States

I would assume that Meghan would know that there were medicines she couldn't take while pregnant. that does not mean that she could not see her doctor ask for a referral to a psychiatrist and try a talking cure. Unlike most of us, she could afford daily therapy..
And as for Harry, he's supposed tho be part of initiatives to show that mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, and that people should be able to talk about it just as they do about physical illnesses. So why would he not (a) know where to refer his wife to get help and (b) be ashamed of telling people that she was depressed?
Most antidepressants are safe to take during pregnancy

I have been assuming they didn't get paid for the interview or if they did, it wouldn't have been much versus what Oprah and CBS made. If they had been smart, they would have arranged to produce the interview for Netflix.

Netflix would grab the interview and it would have a global audience, and the public would be able to rewatch it numerous times

Another good point to make would be that there was absolutely nothing uplifting and encouraging about any of this interview. It was one "this is the awful thing that happened" after another. Pointing fingers and no hint anywhere of what a resolution would be. The theme song could have been "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll eat some worms". This is supposed to be a couple that has branched out on their own and are setting up a foundation to do philanthropist work?

The tone of the interview actually played against them by suggesting its *them* that needs the help that they didn't get from any corner at all. The institution turned a cold shoulder to them, the Bank of Dad closed, they were discriminated against and the list goes on and on but hey... we're going to solve all your problems and heal the world and buy it a Coke with Archewell (which, if they'd been smart would have been the focus of the interview instead of their woes.)

When someone is sitting on the pity pot and drones on and on about their sad selves, after a while, the thought comes to mind to just scream at them to s**t and get off the pot. Anyone remotely familiar with recovery or therapy knows that dwelling in the past and its miseries stop you from going forward towards actually having a happy and productive life. I've been there, done that and proudly wear the t-shirt.

They're still on the path of discrediting everything good they think they want to do and that's doing more harm to themselves than good. They can't help anyone else until they first learn how to help themselves. It's a long, painful process to actually grow up and function in the real adult world and I do sincerely hope they find their way. The biggest question now really is "Where do they go from here?"

If anyone was going to get a location fee it would be Oprah's BFF Gayle King , as it was in her garden that the 4 hrs of "bombshell" drivel were filmed . I'm sure however that she provided the location out of the goodness of her journalistic heart for no fee . I believe that only footage involving Archie would have been shot at the Sussex mansion .
Still wondering when the rest of the footage will emerge ? Possibly when H & M find they need more headline's since the BRF are refusing to play their game .

And the hits just keep on coming. Harry and Meghan can just sit back in their chicken coop and go buk, buk, buk (thinking about a buk (book) deal) while the ammunition is lobbed back and forth between other parties that somehow got a bit of limelight from the "now viral" interview. :D

Good example of this from one of our mainstream news channels FoxNews.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...le-king-meghan-markle-prince-harry-not-racist

Netflix would grab the interview and it would have a global audience, and the public would be able to rewatch it numerous times

It's still possible that the interview will come to Netflix. I wouldn't discount that happening. Netflix picks up programming from other networks all the time.
It's how I was able to watch "Grey's Anatomy" from season 1, episode 1 through 16 seasons.

Many British royal programs and documentaries are on there to watch to our hearts content. The Windsors, documentaries on Diana, British royal castles etc. The Crown is just one that was actually a Netflix original. Imagine Archie 15 years from now able to sit down and search the archives anywhere at all and especially on Netflix and see his parents give this interview.

Wonder how long it'll take Netflix to get it? :D

Well, don't know about that, if Meghan could be the next Queen, I think she would be very happy

As she'd only be a Queen Consort, I still think she'd have a problem with the rules and regulations and the protocols that she had as a Princess of the UK and The Duchess of Sussex. The title would just change. Not the job.

If she were to become Queen (impossible as she's not in the line of succession at all), I'd say, "there goes the monarchy!" :lol:

The scariest part is that Harry and Oprah are working together on some sort of program on mental health. One had sought help in the past at the urging of his family, but admitted that he was too ashamed to admit his wife's issues to his family. Then, he didn't take steps to help his wife himself.

The other acted like it was perfectly understandable for Harry to be ashamed and for Meghan to run around to everyone but her doctors. Moreover, she implied that no one should take responsibility for their own mental health or that of their immediate family. Finally, she missed the opportunity to urge any viewers who may be suffering to ask for help. I admit I don't watch much of Oprah but she is the last person who should be advising people on mental health issues.
I totally agree. This all seems fishy to me.

First. Meghan and mental health issues. I believe that she went through dark times, but "being suicidal and nobody gave her access to seek help" is very strange. She has the money and connections to seek help from great doctors and institutions. But it seems nothing happened. One more thing, depression and the interview are like water and oil. My mother has suffered from depression for years, and she wants to be isolated (she does not want to see other people nor talk). Yet, Meghan, who was in a very deep depressive state, "miraculously" healed and went on TV? Sorry, folks. I know many people who had depression (including my mother), and it takes yearsss to heal, and most of the cases, it never really goes away. And sorry, again, something is fishy here.

Second. Harry. Oh Harry, are you a teenager now? How did you not help your wife? Did you not went through some serious mental health issues? Why was he ashamed of his wife being depressed? Really? I don't want know what he was waiting for...Help from his father or Royal Family? For Meghan to heal by herself? Or was he waiting for her to die? Sorry if I am being aggressive, but I just can't understand this AT ALL. The same with the funding. He needs to grow up. Does he plan to live of his father's money after tossing away his royal duties? Like seriously? To me, Harry is that spoiled rich royal kid who is oblivious of the real world.

Third. These issues and the royal family. It seems Meghan and Harry want the royal family to be their Fairy Godmother, or even the Genie, to grant them wishes as they please without doing anything at all. Why can't they fix everything by themselves? It's always the RF this, the RF that...Their obsession is on a whole different level...:ermm:

Last edited:
Another thought that has come to mind with US Royal Watcher reminding us that Harry is working with Oprah on a mental health program. I believe, IIRC, that it would be aired on AppleTV+. In fact, just did a search and several "reports" came up and this is one of them.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...s/news-story/28c603006836bf1b6ac849a0adec5f28

Now, the way a Netflix lucrative deal could be involved here. Remembering how Netflix picked up "Grey's Anatomy" (all 16 seasons) from ABC to stream and "Outlander" from Showtime and many streaming services like Hulu have programming by other networks for streaming but not until (for example like the Chicago Med, Fire, PD series) the next day. With a contract with the Sussexes, it could be that Netflix has the first right to pick up *any* programming on and by these two. They may then negotiate a price with CBS for the interview, negotiate with AppleTV+ for the Harry and Oprah documentary and the list could go on to infinity. If Harry and Meghan produced a children's series for Archewell, Netflix may want to pick it up eventually for streaming. The Sussexes may not actually have to produce something solely for Netflix as in a Netflix Original but that also could happen.

I'm not getting any of it. Both Harry and William, and, for that matter, James Middleton, have spoken publicly about their own mental health issues. The Duchess of Kent spent time in hospital over 40 years ago for "nervous exhaustion" or whatever term was used at the time. We don't know exactly what's happened, but we're not living in the days when any sort of mental illness was swept under the carpet.

It's beyond me to imagine how anyone could actually think Harry could speak with any authority on mental health issues. The Oprah interview made it blatantly clear that he's still obsessed unhealthily with the perceived wrongs done to him (over a year later!), that he has no grasp of reality (being financially independent without cutting off the financial funding from his father) and that he's far from the balanced place needed to talk from the experience of having successfully healed his own life. It was slightly ridiculous to watch these two bitter people spew venom and well-calculated attacks mixed with outrageous lies and sly manipulations and insist that they were oh so happy in their new life.

If Harry had left it with just the Corden interview, it would have sounded far more convincing.

Another thought that has come to mind with US Royal Watcher reminding us that Harry is working with Oprah on a mental health program. I believe, IIRC, that it would be aired on AppleTV+. In fact, just did a search and several "reports" came up and this is one of them.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...s/news-story/28c603006836bf1b6ac849a0adec5f28

Now, the way a Netflix lucrative deal could be involved here. Remembering how Netflix picked up "Grey's Anatomy" (all 16 seasons) from ABC to stream and "Outlander" from Showtime and many streaming services like Hulu have programming by other networks for streaming but not until (for example like the Chicago Med, Fire, PD series) the next day. With a contract with the Sussexes, it could be that Netflix has the first right to pick up *any* programming on and by these two. They may then negotiate a price with CBS for the interview, negotiate with AppleTV+ for the Harry and Oprah documentary and the list could go on to infinity. If Harry and Meghan produced a children's series for Archewell, Netflix may want to pick it up eventually for streaming. The Sussexes may not actually have to produce something solely for Netflix as in a Netflix Original but that also could happen.
I understand what you are saying, Netflix picks up a lot of programs that have been aired. It is to round out their content and is relatively cheap because repeated programming s not worth as much as an original program.

I can't believe that Netflix is willing to pay them $100 million to produce programs that will be broadcast somewhere else first. Netflix wants to keep its current subscribers and attract new ones through original programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom