The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, Master Archie having an HRH is so outside of my life that I can't have strong feelings about it either way. I simply see why an outsider could believe its unfair to make special exception for one set of kids and not all of them. This is a 21st century mindset. I still say this interview is positively mild compared to those made by other members of the family. All the anger is disturbing.

Of course it is unfair, but that's how the system works. There can only be one King, and that's the end of that. Anyway, Archie will get a title eventually, so that's not that big of a deal.

If it was a mild interview, then I find the anger from the other side very disturbing that has resulted in people quitting their jobs, or harassed to the point of taking their words back.

Forgive me if I have come across as angry or unreasonable. I certainly don't want to add to the drama. I only thought to bring out that the system can and has changed over the course of 1000 yrs.

A random question, when Archie finally gets his title, will he have the right to royal security? Because from what we saw in the interview that was his parents main concern in reference of him not getting the Prince title.

It seems that most people on the forums believe that Harry and Meghan have committed high crimes and lied about everything, and that the BRF have made no mistakes about anything at all, including their treatment of their sons’ and (grandson’s) wives. There has been no noblesse oblige from the BRF on these sad issues.

Nope. I disagree.

A random question, when Archie finally gets his title, will he have the right to royal security? Because from what we saw in the interview that was his parents main concern in reference of him not getting the Prince title.

Harry and Meghan ARE royal highnesses and don't have paid security, so why would Archie suddenly be entitled to security IF he would become a prince (which I am not sure about - I think the chances are bigger that LPs are issued consistent with the current treatment of the queen's youngest grandchildren).

Several other royal highnesses in the family don't have round the clock security either or no government security at all. So, only in Meghan's mind those things are related, in reality they are not.

It seems that most people on the forums believe that Harry and Meghan have committed high crimes and lied about everything, and that the BRF have made no mistakes about anything at all, including their treatment of their sons’ and (grandson’s) wives. There has been no noblesse oblige from the BRF on these sad issues.

Oh I think The BRF have made plenty of mistakes in general and have made mistakes with Harry and Meghan and have their own egos and much more than their fair share of dysfunction BTS and it was probably for the best that H&M left if it was making them so miserable.

I also think that a lot what Harry and Meghan actually said was disingenuous at best and deliberate lies at worst. Things like the titles, security, having her passport confiscated so she couldn't go anywhere, "real" wedding, some of the headlines used were deliberately clipped that can and have been proved to be factually wrong yet are taken at face value by Oprah and so many people.

They also didn't take any responsibility for any of it not one "we made a mistake as well" which doesn't help their case in my eyes.

I'm sure if Charles and William did an interview about H&M some of that might come off badly and sound petty and vindictive and disingenuous. Which is one of the reasons why they haven't done one.

This is an interview that has got people very passionate on *both* sides for various reasons.

Last edited:

That will be totally up to the Metropolitan Police Protection Squad. If they are living in the US, I don't see the Met Police deeming to give any of the Sussexes security. However, should they spend part of the year living at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor as originally stated, they may assign security based on a risk assessment.

A title is not a prerequisite for taxpayer funded security. There are many senior working royals with titles that only get taxpayer funded security when performing official duties for the "Firm" (monarchy). Some royals pay for security out of their own pocket.

My guess is that the Sussexes will remain in California and be responsible for any security they have.

Speaking of the "wedding" again I think it's entirely possible that as an American talking to another American with a primary audience of Americans she was relating an event that to her meant more emotionally then her public wedding. She never claimed it was her UK legal marriage. It would have been binding as common law in Cali, (if they haven't changed the marriage laws)

If you want to find out more about how the Met Police had came to the decision that Archie will not receive taxpayer funded protection, as Osipi has kindly pointed out and explained, there is a Times article that came out few days ago.

Harry and Meghan ‘don’t need police protection — their risk isn’t high enough’
Protection for the Sussexes in Canada was estimated to be costing taxpayers more than £1 million a year
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...tection-their-risk-isnt-high-enough-gcwzdxs6l

Archived link that has the whole article
https://archive.ph/RNEU8#selection-727.0-751.9

The BBC has confirmed that Meghan complained to Ofcom (UK's communications regulator) about Piers Morgan's comment on Good Morning Britain. The article also mentioned about Archewell's donation to PressPad Charitable Foundation. The Associated Newspaper (that owns Daily Mail and Mail+) has written ViacomCBS on the deliberate distortion in misleading British newspaper headlines.

Duchess of Sussex has complained to Ofcom over Piers Morgan comments
The Duchess of Sussex has complained to Ofcom about Piers Morgan's comments about her on Good Morning Britain, the UK broadcast regulator has confirmed.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainm...35F-11EB-87C9-929A4744363C&at_custom2=twitter

Like I said, Master Archie having an HRH is so outside of my life that I can't have strong feelings about it either way. I simply see why an outsider could believe its unfair to make special exception for one set of kids and not all of them. This is a 21st century mindset. I still say this interview is positively mild compared to those made by other members of the family. All the anger is disturbing.

I still fail to see what exception you are referring to. As a great-grandson of the Queen in collateral line, Archie is not eligible to become a prince now. The same rule will apply e.g. to the children of James, Viscount Severn, who will also be great-grandchildren of a sovereign in paternal line. The difference is that Archie, unlike James' future children, can still be a prince when Charles ascends the throne, as he will be a grandson of a sovereign, even though James himself and his sister Louise, who are also grandchildren of a sovereign in paternal line, just as Archie will be, do not use the HRH themselves, despite being entitled to do so.

Of course, other great-grandchildren in maternal line of the Queen, like Peter's and Zara's children, or Eugenie's and Beatrice's children/future children, are not titled either and will never be according to existing rules.

The only great-grandchildren of the Queen who are indeed treated differently (I am not sure if that could be called an "exception" though) are indeed William's children, but their situation is actually different, in a system based on hereditary succession under the rule of primogeniture, because they are in direct line to the throne. The rule of primogeniture, as foreign as that concept may be to most Americans, implies a natural hierarchy in any Royal Family and it is not unnatural, nor shocking to most Europeans that the main line and the collateral lines should be treated differently.

In a slimmed-down monarchy, you might argue that no grandchildren of the heir should be HRHs (only his/her children), which is the current rule again e.g, in the Netherlands and in Spain, but asking for the contrary, i.e. that all grandchildren of the heir be HRHs would again attractive negative reactions. In fact, as far as I know, Belgium is the only European kingdom where all grandchildren of the heir are still guaranteed to be HRHs from birth.

Last edited:
Speaking of the "wedding" again I think it's entirely possible that as an American talking to another American with a primary audience of Americans she was relating an event that to her meant more emotionally then her public wedding. She never claimed it was her UK legal marriage. It would have been binding as common law in Cali, (if they haven't changed the marriage laws)

This was what I assumed from the start. I never thought she meant they'd had a previous legally binding wedding, though the point that what happened might count as a binding wedding under Californian common law is interesting and might have influenced her thinking.

She didn't talk about 'the wedding' when she referenced the 'three days prior', she talked about 'getting married'. Which is clearly not what happened.

You know, three days before our wedding, we got married. No one knows that.

She didn't talk about 'the wedding' when she referenced the 'three days prior', she talked about 'getting married'. Which is clearly not what happened.

I didn't have so much of a problem with that as much as I had with what followed. That is, "It was a spectacle for the world." If you wanted a private wedding that was not a spectacle, you could've saved some precious taxpayer money. No wonder people lost it over that.

I didn't have so much of a problem with that as much as I had with what followed. That is, "It was a spectacle for the world." If you wanted a private wedding that was not a spectacle, you could've saved some precious taxpayer money. No wonder people lost it over that.

The interview was also an unnecessary spectacle for the world. While we're at it.

It wasn't legally binding but even if they had done the full ceremony without witnesses but the ABC had pronounced them "married in the sight of God" he would be in big trouble with the CofE, you can't make two sets of vows before God, one just faked for the public. Which is one reason Lambeth Palace weren't talking to the media.

I'm sure she was referring to a non CofE binding ceremony where they said some personal vows to each other and Justin Welby just blessed their life together and that was more meaningful to them. That's fine, but that's not what she said. She said they "got married three days before".

It's an example of "their truth" not necessarily being factual.

Also if they had said they wanted a smaller wedding, I'm sure one could have been arranged.

Reminds me of Meredith and Derek from Grey's Anatomy and how they "got married" by writing their vows on a post-it note and had that framed above the bed in their bedroom. It meant something to them. They had a civil wedding later on. The post-it note exchange of vows although signed and dated would not have held up in a court of law but it "sealed the deal" for the two of them.

One thing now though, for sure. It's not something special and just between the two of them anymore. I really didn't see the purpose of giving out that information. :D

I thought it was just me. The princess condescending on the great unwashed, is what I thought. People were so happy for them and wanted to share in their joy - now it turned out it was all a spectacle for her.

No wonder she found giving it a try so hard. I mean, it was so hard to enjoy a glorious wedding - I wouldn't have looked up to the endless string of increasingly less glamorous (as she aged and William's children matured into adulthood) talks to ill people and openings of schools so eagerly either if I could hardly stand such a spectacle.

Osipi I’m replying to your response to my post in the other thread. I thought I had a clue how the British monarchy worked- I thought I understood British American differences - had not a clue!

I still fail to see what exception you are referring to. As a great-grandson of the Queen in collateral line, Archie is not eligible to become a prince now. The same rule will apply e.g. to the children of James, Viscount Severn, who will also be great-grandchildren of a sovereign in paternal line. The difference is that Archie, unlike James' future children, can still be a prince when Charles ascends the throne, as he will be a grandson of a sovereign, even though James himself and his sister Louise, who are also grandchildren of a sovereign in paternal line, just as Archie will be, do not use the HRH themselves, despite being entitled to do so.

Of course, other great-grandchildren in maternal line of the Queen, like Peter's and Zara's children, or Eugenie's and Beatrice's children/future children, are not titled either and will never be according to existing rules.

The only great-grandchildren of the Queen who are indeed treated differently (I am not sure if that could be called an "exception" though) are indeed William's children, but their situation is actually different, in a system based on hereditary succession under the rule of primogeniture, because they are in direct line to the throne. The rule of primogeniture, as foreign as that concept may be to most Americans, implies a natural hierarchy in any Royal Family and it is not unnatural, nor shocking to most Europeans that the main line and the collateral lines should be treated differently.

In a slimmed-down monarchy, you might argue that no grandchildren of the heir should be HRHs (only his/her children), which is the current rule again e.g, in the Netherlands and in Spain, but asking for the contrary, i.e. that all grandchildren of the heir be HRHs would again attractive negative reactions. In fact, as far as I know, Belgium is the only European kingdom where all grandchildren of the heir are still guaranteed to be HRHs from birth.

Woah! Okay, first I'm truly sorry if I've offended you. That was not my intention whatsoever. I only meant that The Duchess of Sussex might not see why The Duke of Cambridge's Children got an HRH at birth before Prince Charles' ascension to the throne and her children do not. It seems obvious when a person studies or lives in a monarchy but she did not grow up with the same mindset. I'm not saying she is or is not correct if she feels that way. Making allowances for cultural and legal misunderstandings might be reasonable.

I thought it was just me. The princess condescending on the great unwashed, is what I thought. People were so happy for them and wanted to share in their joy - now it turned out it was all a spectacle for her.

No wonder she found giving it a try so hard. I mean, it was so hard to enjoy a glorious wedding - I wouldn't have looked up to the endless string of increasingly less glamorous (as she aged and William's children matured into adulthood) talks to ill people and openings of schools so eagerly either if I could hardly stand such a spectacle.

Not just that, Harry looked so emotional during the "spectacle." Besides, if it wasn't for the spectacle, Oprah would never have happened probably.

Anyway, that left a bitter taste. They don't want to concentrate on anything good that was given to them, just the tabloids. They seemed obsessed with the Mail. Looks like they go through all the comments.

Reminds me of Meredith and Derek from Grey's Anatomy and how they "got married" by writing their vows on a post-it note and had that framed above the bed in their bedroom. It meant something to them. They had a civil wedding later on. The post-it note exchange of vows although signed and dated would not have held up in a court of law but it "sealed the deal" for the two of them.

One thing now though, for sure. It's not something special and just between the two of them anymore. I really didn't see the purpose of giving out that information. :D

:D That's for sure! The confession to the world took the shine off their special, personal moment, didn't it! I don't know why she did that and I bet privacy-conscious Harry wasn't happy about it.

Not just that, Harry looked so emotional during the "spectacle."

Again this might be a clash of cultures. To the Duchess her backyard "Marriage" (in keeping with her California cultural outlook) sealed the deal for her. While the British Royal wedding would have had the most impact on The Duke. American USA vs. UK culture clash.

Again this might be a clash of cultures. To the Duchess her backyard "Marriage" (in keeping with her California cultural outlook) sealed the deal for her. While the British Royal wedding would have had the most impact on The Duke. American USA vs. UK culture clash.

Also, in Harry's case, a family culture.

Woah! Okay, first I'm truly sorry if I've offended you. That was not my intention whatsoever. I only meant that The Duchess of Sussex might not see why The Duke of Cambridge's Children got an HRH at birth before Prince Charles' ascension to the throne and her children do not. It seems obvious when a person studies or lives in a monarchy but she did not grow up with the same mindset. I'm not saying she is or is not correct if she feels that way. Making allowances for cultural and legal misunderstandings might be reasonable.

She married into the family so it was up to her to make sure she would understand such rather straight-forward reasoning - it doesn't hurt to ask if she truly didn't understand; I am sure Harry could have easily explained. I am sure she would have agreed that it would be absurd that if Charlotte had been born first, she would have been a mere Lady Charlotte Mountbatten-Windsor as future Queen while her younger brother George would have been HRH Prince George of Cambridge... Someone claiming to champion women's rights would surely see the problem.

All of this applies even more if you intend to complain on television about how terrible your son's treatment was in this regard... So, imho she is fully to be blamed whether she would still be ignorant (that would be on purpose; she would not have any intention to understand as it wouldn't fit her narrative) OR if she knows how it works and why but is bent on pretending she doesn't (again that would be to advance her narrative - which is disingenuous).

Last edited:

With all due respect, culture shock is not an excuse for taking global media-level shots at the biggest cultural institution of the other culture. As other people have said, had Meghan spent six weeks as a poster here, she would have been well-informed about what she was getting into.

How is it excusable to marry into another culture and take on a job at such a high level and not have the proper information about where you're going and how to do it? What kind of actress takes a role with no research or sense of the character? :ermm:

A fair point but Harry understood it all and should have explained it.

Yes, she married into the family. However, even a Royal family doesn't have the right to strip it's members of their culture and beliefs. I am not saying they owe others any changes. However, having been in the business of dealing with people from all over the world and all walks of life since Victoria and onward they shouldn't be shocked that conflicts can and do happen.

It was already a done deal by the time Meghan came on the scene and it's very possible that there was no reason for the why everything changed for the Cambridge kids would have come up in a casual conversation.

The Succession to the Crown Act (2013) amended the provisions of the Bill of Rights and the Act of Settlement to end the system of male primogeniture, under which a younger son can displace an elder daughter in the line of succession. The Act applies to those born after 28 October 2011.

Under the standing LPs, only the first *male* child of the heir to the heir would be eligible for the title HRH Prince. What if George had been a Georgina? She wouldn't have been titled under the existing LPs. George coming as the second child would have been titled simply because he's the first *male* child.

So, they implemented that the rule would be that the heir apparent of the heir to the heir to the throne would be the first child born regardless of sex. It's to put the LPs in correlation with the changes to the Act of Succession to the Crown. It wasn't because of the Cambridge children being "more special" but because of a change in an old rule that had been modified according to the times and more "equal rights" between men and women. It was a necessity to do.

Hereditary peerage titles like the Duke of Sussex still, for the most part, still carry the remainder that only the first born *male* would inherit the title. So if Harry and Meghan had a girl first and Archie second, it would be Archie that inherits Harry's ducal title.

Confused yet? It takes a while to wrap one's mind around these things. Ask me how I know. :D

Yes, she married into the family. However, even a Royal family doesn't have the right to strip it's members of their culture and beliefs. I am not saying they owe others any changes. However, having been in the business of dealing with people from all over the world and all walks of life since Victoria and onward they shouldn't be shocked that conflicts can and do happen.

I am not sure what you are saying , what culture and belief. Who was stripped of what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom